Author Topic: Welcome new members!  (Read 791765 times)

fartq

Welcome new members!
« on: Sun, 29 July 2012, 09:51:16 »
First off, welcome to the world of keyboards. There are two things you will discover quite shortly about keyboards and keyboarding related accessories: first, they are a moneypit. Your money? all gone. Second, they are awesome; you will be poor but happy.

OK, LOGISTICS: you are currently a New Member. That means you can view nearly all of the forums, and post replies, including attachments and videos, in every forum. There are a couple forums you can't see, but no worries, they're a bit like spamalot; they are silly places where only silly things are done. At some point (currently 50 100 60 posts, but subject to change without notice), you will join the ranks of the Full Members, soldiers of fortune who are allowed to submit NEW topics to the classifieds and group buy forums.

TL;DR YOU NEED AT LEAST 25 POSTS AND 60 DAYS OF MEMBERSHIP TO POST NEW TOPICS IN CLASSIFIEDS & GROUP BUYS  :-*

HOWEVER: do not think that you should simply spam your way up the clacker ladder. Your keyboard, as you will soon learn, is a refined tool only meant for the purest of thoughts. If ye spam, we will delete. Instead, have fun, ask questions, comment on demik's flatulence, etc. in short, LURK LESS! we welcome your input.

SO THEN: Welcome to geekhack! Have fun clacking! (and sorry about your wallet :D)

P.S. WalletHack is REAL, read more about it here: Unhacking the wallet in 2015 - confessions of an addict (warning: long)
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 January 2015, 23:47:01 by infiniti »

Offline model-M

Re: Welcome new members!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 07:09:53 »
How did you know I was spending a lot on keyboards?!  It is nice to know that I am not the only one spending too much money on keyboards.  I got obsessed with the model M very quickly.  It started when I ran a google search for linux keyboard.  Unicomp was basically all I came up with.  I got the classic 101, no Windows keys thank you, linux version with Caps Lock, Ctrl and Esc, ~ keys switched.  I now own several from Unicomp, and the original from clickykeyboards.   

fartq

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 05 August 2012, 01:20:28 »
do a search for litster's or megnin's keyboard collection ;)

Offline Djuzuh

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 05 August 2012, 03:19:21 »
How did you know I was spending a lot on keyboards?!  It is nice to know that I am not the only one spending too much money on keyboards.  I got obsessed with the model M very quickly.  It started when I ran a google search for linux keyboard.  Unicomp was basically all I came up with.  I got the classic 101, no Windows keys thank you, linux version with Caps Lock, Ctrl and Esc, ~ keys switched.  I now own several from Unicomp, and the original from clickykeyboards.   

Because we all do.

Offline MMB

• I no longer use this account. Please email me.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 06 August 2012, 22:14:38 »
Woohoo first Post I just bought a HHKB Pro2 and waiting for my brand new model M to come in the mail.
i got all my info from this website so i figure what the heck might as well join. :)

Dude, you skipped the beginner step and went straight to pro? That's just not the natural order of things....

But anyways.... welcome! :)

fartq

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 06 August 2012, 22:37:38 »
Woohoo first Post I just bought a HHKB Pro2 and waiting for my brand new model M to come in the mail.
i got all my info from this website so i figure what the heck might as well join. :)
is there some kind of image macro for "you're doing it right"?

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 06 August 2012, 22:40:18 »
This board doesn't allow NSFW pics, so no.   ;)
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 06 August 2012, 23:11:11 »
Model M has pbt keys too, sucka!
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 07 August 2012, 00:12:05 »
kawa don't you mean lurk moar? as in, lurk moar, spam less?
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 11 August 2012, 13:52:41 »
there is another option, young padowan, SPAM LESS LURK LESS

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Djuzuh

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 11 August 2012, 13:55:03 »
there is another option, young padowan, SPAM LESS LURK LESS

SPAM MORE LURK MORE ORDER MORE is the only way to go.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 11 August 2012, 13:58:04 »
order more goes without saying.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline zzAaron

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 20:35:22 »
when can i start posting on classifieds?
Ducky 9008G2 Browns, White Filco TKL Reds

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 20:40:55 »
when can i start posting on classifieds?
dude come on, it's in OP.

LURK MOAR

Offline Viz

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 15 August 2012, 20:08:25 »
First off, welcome to the world of keyboards. There are two things you will discover quite shortly about keyboards and keyboarding related accessories: first, they are a moneypit. Your money? all gone. Second, they are awesome; you will be poor but happy.

OK, LOGISTICS: you are currently a JUNIOR CLICKER. That means you can view nearly all of the forums, and post replies, including attachments and videos, in every forum. There are a couple forums you can't see, but no worries, they're a bit like spamalot; they are silly places where only silly things are done. At some point (currently 50 100 60 posts, but subject to change without notice), you will join the ranks of the CLICK AND CLACKER, soldiers of fortune who are allowed to submit NEW topics to the classifieds and group buy forums.

HOWEVER: do not think that you should simply spam your way up the clacker ladder. Your keyboard, as you will soon learn, is a refined tool only meant for the purest of thoughts. If ye spam, we will delete. Instead, have fun, ask questions, comment on demik's flatulence, etc. in short, LURK LESS! we welcome your input.

SO THEN: Welcome to geekhack! Have fun clacking! (and sorry about your wallet :D)

Is there a cure for the "spend all money on keyboards" syndrome?
My doctor couldn't diagnose the problem.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 15 August 2012, 20:10:12 »

OK, LOGISTICS: you are currently a JUNIOR CLICKER. That means you can view nearly all of the forums, and post replies, including attachments and videos, in every forum. There are a couple forums you can't see, but no worries, they're a bit like spamalot; they are silly places where only silly things are done. At some point (currently 50 100 60 posts, but subject to change without notice), you will join the ranks of the CLICK AND CLACKER, soldiers of fortune who are allowed to submit NEW topics to the classifieds and group buy forums.

you only have to spend all money until you have cool stuff you can start trading for :)

Offline Viz

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 17 August 2012, 09:28:27 »

you only have to spend all money until you have cool stuff you can start trading for :)

Gaah, i'm not even close. *adds keyboard collection to signature*

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 21 August 2012, 21:38:19 »
Hi guys I am new to Geek Hack. I had an account before but i had trouble navigating it...I am not the sharpest tool in the shed. Some of you have bought keyboards from me thru EBay. Valerie8547 if that helps. Any advice you can give me on how to use the site better would be appreciated. I thought i was alone in my love for keyboards until i found this site. Keep up the great work. Thanks!  :D

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
    • Alessandro's Sweet Shop
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 06:02:04 »
Awesome! I've been lurking here a while, and now need to expand my horizons in terms of getting a second board and a better keycap collection. I can't wait to see what's to offer here!

*Don't worry, I've been saving up my money for this place. ;)
KBC Poker | MX Reds | Beige Doubleshots
Goldtouch 10Key Pad | MX Browns | Beige Doubleshots
IBM Model M-122 Terminal (Bolt modded) | Buckling Springs | Beige Dyesubs

Alessandro's Sweet Shop- "I never said they were art."

Offline mnml

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 22:47:41 »
guess its time to start talking and contributing a bit :D

Offline te3kay

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 17:48:49 »
ohhhh man i have quite a way to go  :eek:

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 19:27:42 »
New to the world of keyboards and I gotta say I'm excited. Bought a Race with black switches and white LEDS so I figured I may as well get myself on these forums. In the words of agent Smith, "It is inevitable". I choose the Red pill. 
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 19:28:51 »
Welcome to the wonderful world! Be wary of your wallet though!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 05:41:27 »
@YoungMichael88: Welcome to Geekhack!

We are not here because we are free, we are here because we appreciate a good keyboard :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline scytheR

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 05:46:20 »
Hi guys i just recently started browsing this forum frequently on wednesday after the arrival of my topre 104u from PCCG and i'm still getting used to all these short forms of communication. :)
But nonetheless, i'm happy to be here with my fellow (poor) keycap nerds :D

~~~YAAAAAYYY~~~~~
Topre 104UW XF01T0 white (default keycaps, soon to attack the market (and my wallet) | Filco Majestouch 104 mx brown FKB104M/EB

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 06:02:30 »
Hi guys i just recently started browsing this forum frequently on wednesday after the arrival of my topre 104u from PCCG and i'm still getting used to all these short forms of communication. :)
But nonetheless, i'm happy to be here with my fellow (poor) keycap nerds :D

~~~YAAAAAYYY~~~~~

Welcome to Geekhack!

There are not that many places selling mechanical keyboards in Australia, at least not a reasonable range of them.  Lucky we have PCCG here in Melbourne :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 06:16:50 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

There are not that many places selling mechanical keyboards in Australia, at least not a reasonable range of them.  Lucky we have PCCG here in Melbourne :)

So true... Lucky we have AusPCMarket here in Sydney!

Australian GHers get even more wallethacked than our US counterparts.

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 06:21:17 »
But we have Ducky Shine II already  :p

(at PCCG anyway)

Offline scytheR

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 08:11:25 »
haha agreed. now all they have to do is start offering keycaps..
Topre 104UW XF01T0 white (default keycaps, soon to attack the market (and my wallet) | Filco Majestouch 104 mx brown FKB104M/EB

Offline Buzz

Hello Geekhack!
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 07:11:02 »
Hello Geekhack! here's what I have:

Corsair Obsidian 650D Aluminum Mid Tower Case
AMD FX-8150 FX 8-Core Black Edition Processor
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
CORSAIR H80 (CWCH80) High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
XFX HD-687A-ZHFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit..........2 cards setup in CrossfireX
CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX850M 850W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Semi Modular High Performance Power Supply
Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F180GBGT-BK 2.5" 180GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)......My main system drive
2 Storage Drives......Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives

And last but not least.........Ducky DK9008S Yellow LED Backlit Mechanical Keyboard (Brown Cherry MX)

system runs great....overclocked to 4.1GHz

Love reading all the posts!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 17:13:41 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I was wondering when you'd get to mentioning your keyboard :)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 16:52:42 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 October 2014, 14:55:43 by esoomenona »

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
Welcome new members!
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 02 October 2012, 11:53:08 »
Welcome to Geekhack!  Checking this forum is just as addictive as buying keycaps. Or crack....
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline alvinliang

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 13:34:55 »
60 post, nice rule
iPhone sucks

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 13:35:50 »
60 post, nice rule
Lol, I take it you want to sell/buy/trade something...?
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 13:37:27 »
60 post, nice rule

Clearly he does, since the last 52 posts have been abysmal.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 13:39:45 »
60 post, nice rule

Word...
tp thread is tp thread

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline shadewolf

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 13:48:10 »
60 post, nice rule

welcome to geekhack!
nice..
oh sold out...
i would like that

We need a facepalm smiley here :))

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 13:50:43 »
tp thread is tp thread

Offline tillertow

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 04:43:10 »
Damn, want to buy some black side-printed ISO keys...guess i reach 60 posts at some point :>
FS: 6Gv2 Key caps ISO/scandinavian:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36427.0

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 04:51:20 »
Damn, want to buy some black side-printed ISO keys...guess i reach 60 posts at some point :>

You can still post in existing threads (if someone happens to be selling what you want) - you just can't start a new thread yet.

Offline tillertow

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 05:44:28 »
ahh thanks, didn't know that
FS: 6Gv2 Key caps ISO/scandinavian:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36427.0

Offline Carefoot

• http://carefoot.ca
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 05:09:15 »
Well I think this is awfully silly because I have bought from people here before.  Looks like I must needlessly spam just so I can use this as such.  Must I spam your site or would a donation due you proper?  *TLDR: SPAMMING*
* - Black "Otaku" HHKB Professional 2
* - Filco Neo Multifinger Touch Pad
* - AKG701 headphones
* - Steelseries [Rubberized/Raw] Sensei

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Re: Re: Welcome new members!
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 08:39:25 »
Well I think this is awfully silly because I have bought from people here before.  Looks like I must needlessly spam just so I can use this as such.  Must I spam your site or would a donation due you proper?  *TLDR: SPAMMING*
Sure make checks payable to SmallFry please!

Offline cluny

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 22:01:01 »
Thanks for the welcome. Broke student here can't afford to get addicted... oh...no..already am...it happened just then.
A mechanical keyboard engages all the senses but smell and taste. Which is why you should always type with a hot coffee at your side. -Shawn Blanc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old & Busted: daskeyboard 3 Pro, Razer Lycosa
New Hotness: Ducky 9087G2 Pro

Offline Rinsaku

• lorem ipsum
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 21:00:27 »
having sold several boards before on here in the past, i just now wondered why i couldn't post a new thread... I guess i have to be social now, if I am to make any money.. x.x
Current Boards : Apple m0116 (Salmon Alps), B.Face (Mx Clears), Filco Tkl (Mx Blues), HHKB Pro JP (Topre), Jd45 (78g Zealios), KBParadise v60 (Gateron Yellows), KBParadise v60 (Matias Quiet Click), Kbt Pure (Kailh Bronze), Leopold FC660M (Mx Browns), Minidox (Mod-H), Pok3r (62g Zealios)

Offline hashish

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 22:55:58 »
Hey guys I am new and not new. I came on here just to buy a keyboard, Leopold TKL with Browns, and I didn't really contribute. But now that I have my second board, CM Storm Quickfire with Blacks, and looking to contribute.

I really want to do a stock looking mouse mod with MX switches.

Offline gizmo

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 14:03:12 »
Glad to have found this finally...spent a good bit of time in an attempt to figure out why I could not created a wanted thread despite buying and selling numerous items in the past.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 15:16:31 »
It's actually in the sticky in the New Members section: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=33429.0

Offline Guillairmo

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 20:26:32 »
+1 Post :P
.. trying to sell my Zowie Celeritas