Author Topic: Replacing LED on duckyshine3  (Read 1170 times)

Offline Riptide

Replacing LED on duckyshine3
« on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 20:21:39 »
Good morning guys.. Before I start, sorry if im on the wrong place to post this, im not sure where to post this question.
Anyway, my duckyshine 3's led on one letter (c) just gave out. I dunno what to do.. How can I replace them? And what LED would be better to use? I sorta read 1.8mm to be ok but I just want your expert opinion on this.. Thanks guys

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: Replacing LED on duckyshine3
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 23:47:40 »
You do the following
1. desolder the old LED
2. find a new one that matches it (it's probably a 3mm LED)
2.5 "test" the new one by pressing it (right direction) to the pads to see if it lights up. If not there may be another issue. If you have a DMM you can test for voltage and voltage drop across the current limiting resistor.
3. solder the new one in place (make sure it's in the right direction)

If you want to desolder it and all you have is a soldering iron the following can work: heat up one pad and "tip" the LED in that direction. let it cool and repeat on the other side for a little height. Keep doing this (add solder if necessary) until the part is out. Remove solder from holes.

it is of course much easier to desolder with braid or a pump.

as to what LED: it's best to match what you have to ensure it looks the same. If you use a different style or size it might be dimmer at one angle and brighter at another. Or just brighter or dimmer than the rest of the LEDs. You can test before soldering by bending the leads a little so they make contact.

If you don't mind it being a little off, I prefer 2*3*4 but 1.8mm (sometimes called 1.5mm) is an option as well. The stock LEDs are likely T1 size also called 3mm. Make sure to get flangeless or you may end up cutting the flange off.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 December 2014, 23:50:07 by dorkvader »

Offline Riptide

Re: Replacing LED on duckyshine3
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 04:03:34 »
am i the only one here who has this problem with ducky shine 3? it seems that all the leds are giving out! it started with letter "c" now its "t" "," "`" "end" .. and the rgb at space is now defective. wtf :3