Author Topic: [GB] Rama Works KOYU  (Read 156750 times)

Offline KingRama

• * Maker
  • www.rama.works
    • RAMA WORKS®
[GB] Rama Works KOYU
« on: Mon, 01 October 2018, 23:09:50 »
The ‘wait’ for something isn’t the most conscious desire, but that anticipation creates nostalgia.   

At Rama Works, you’ve embraced this. From updates of the blog, to direct communication with the community, being part of a Rama Works product doesn’t just start when you receive it. If you’ve ever received a Rama Works product, you know that no detail is overlooked.   

Let us take you on a journey that will capture that sensory experience, and explore the gravitational interaction between aesthetic and design. The Rama Works ‘X’ element personifies the understanding that taking something away doesn’t necessarily make it less.   

At Rama Works, with each launch, we iterate with finesse and strive to evolve our offerings. We aim to deliver well-executed processes all along the way from packaging to production, customer service and more. Koyu is a launch grounded in what our community knows us for. This aluminium unibody has a beautifully designed fixed layout. The gently exaggerated design of the frame is not understated, but rather provocative. Inspiration and evolution from previous models are evident in the beautifully articulated design and the well defined aesthetic, the fingerprint of our ‘Industrial Modern’ designs. The board Implements hot swappable switches on the integrated 4.5mm plate, no solder needed! The interior weight will be interchangeable between the KOYU and the M60 series. Powered by removable USB-C. This launch marks the return of our most iconic 65% layout to date, with a new streamlined design. The KOYU brings two new colourways to the Rama Works palette. We are introducing the luxurious and dreamlike Haze, as well as the clean and powerful Race colourway.   

https://rama.works/koyu
Didn't notice my personal messages have been disabled for those thinking you have been blocked - to contact please reach out through Facebook messages or support email!
WEB: https://rama.works/
STORE: https://ramaworks.store/
INSTA: @ramaworks
FB: ramaworks

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
Re: [GB] Rama Works KOYU
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 02 October 2018, 08:16:19 »
Approved
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline RivieraS

• Yutop
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 02 October 2018, 09:58:00 »
1000 Dollars..

Deep in thought...

Offline hervuli

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 02 October 2018, 10:41:19 »
Is there an estimated ship date? Couldn't find one anywhere on the site.
JD40v2 MX Grey | HHKB BKE Heavy | E6-V2 78g Tealios | ZealX60 72g MX Zilent | TGR 910 RE 78g MX Zilent | Singa Vintage MX Black | Octagon V2 MX Grey | Orion V2 MX Clear | Novatouch BKE Extreme

Offline jupitard

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 02 October 2018, 11:41:26 »
any eta on ship date? also any more renders of that awesome  haze color?

Offline RivieraS

• Yutop
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 02 October 2018, 11:57:01 »

I guess about 6 months and more

Offline oh_chesteroni

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 02 October 2018, 12:36:37 »
Maybe I missed it in the promotional material, but how much does the regular Koyu weigh without the internal weight?

EDIT: nevermind, it's on the sale page!
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 October 2018, 12:39:37 by oh_chesteroni »

Offline vonswoopington

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 02 October 2018, 12:49:30 »
Can we get more renders of the full board with all the colors?  The half renders are making it hard to visualize the whole thing.

Thanks!
TGR 910 Polycarb | TGR Alice | TGR Unikorn | Lyn EM-7 | VE.A | Kyuu | E7-V1

Offline sJ1N

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 02 October 2018, 12:58:17 »

Preorders are open until late november so i'll estimate a looong time

Offline NicoWilde

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 02 October 2018, 13:35:11 »
So distraught on whether to get the TANK or not... it's so beautiful

Offline lyk503

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 02 October 2018, 13:48:35 »
1k for a tank... I wonder how much it costs to manufacture.

Offline Darknight00z

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 02 October 2018, 14:32:53 »
Can we get more renders of the full board with all the colors?  The half renders are making it hard to visualize the whole thing.

Thanks!

Agreed. All these fancy artsy style angles. We just want clear and simple renders (or prototype photo, even better) of the product we are pre-ordering.

Offline bball2

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 02 October 2018, 15:03:40 »
Jumped in on the race model / set of PBT Heavy Industry!

Offline beekey

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 02 October 2018, 16:20:15 »
If they only would offer more layout options - split space for example. Not easy with hotswap, but still. :-/

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 02 October 2018, 16:44:18 »
Love the design....but split back space is going to be a pain in the arse to deal with.

Offline vonswoopington

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 02 October 2018, 16:57:44 »
Love the design....but split back space is going to be a pain in the arse to deal with.

Yeah I'm not a fan of split backspace.  I tried to use it but just couldn't get used to it. No way to have a regular backspace is there?

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 02 October 2018, 17:48:04 »
I'd be in for a Tank if they'd offer it without split backspace.  I emailed Rama to ask about this, and they said no.

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 02 October 2018, 18:01:32 »
I'd be in for a Tank if they'd offer it without split backspace.  I emailed Rama to ask about this, and they said no.

I could imagine... In order to do that they'd have to redesign the PCB, retest it, and also redesign a custom plate as well. No way in hell I would imagine Rama would want to go through something like that. That being said I don't know how much can I compensate the 1U thing for the design though but damn I sincerely hate the abomination of split backspace. I bet whoever came up with 1U shift and 1U backspace layout had no idea they just released a plague to mechanical keyboards  :)) :))
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 October 2018, 08:00:18 by otanishock »

Offline fireworm

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 02 October 2018, 18:01:55 »
IMO, putting backspace on the caps lock key is a really good compromise for split backspace boards.  `~, Delete in upper right, and Esc in upper left.

Offline ptykozoon

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 02 October 2018, 19:00:08 »
Pardon my extreme ignorance, but do I just buy this and a bunch of cherry switches/keycaps and I'm good to go?

Offline AlexG

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 02 October 2018, 19:04:51 »
Having a full brass case would be awesome. I just hate 65% with a passion. Worst layout imo.

Offline Starston3

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 02 October 2018, 19:05:53 »
Pardon my extreme ignorance, but do I just buy this and a bunch of cherry switches/keycaps and I'm good to go?

Yes. No soldering required.

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 02 October 2018, 19:43:42 »

don't forget stabs!

Offline Jkush463

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 02 October 2018, 20:57:49 »
tank and tank light are nice looking id like to see a clean clear render though, very interested as pick ups this month.

Offline Genuine.Senpai

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 03 October 2018, 05:30:53 »
I'm considering picking one up, but could someone explain what a split backspace is? I saw it in the comments and I'm new into this keyboard community.

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 03 October 2018, 06:15:52 »
I'm considering picking one up, but could someone explain what a split backspace is? I saw it in the comments and I'm new into this keyboard community.

The backspace slot is split into two keys.

Offline 5inn3d-

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 03 October 2018, 06:23:25 »

where is the split backspace? i dont see it anywhere

Offline Poblopuablo

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 03 October 2018, 07:52:12 »
The backspace is where ethe "|/" key is and then the backspace is t2 seperated 1u keys

I don't like the split backspace or the 1.5u, 1u, 1.5u, 7u, 1.5u, (.5u blocker), 1u,1u,1u bottom row.  I don't have 7u spacebars. So thus I'll pass.

Offline krey

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 03 October 2018, 10:11:35 »
I'd really like to own a Rama keyboard, but a split backspace thing really puts me off.

I'll wait for the next one. :)
Kepler FC65 | 7v | Think6.5 v1 | Maja | G60 | TX75v2 | Fjell | Klippe x2 | Acrylic Tofu | CA66 | Norbaforce

Offline ttot

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 03 October 2018, 11:00:02 »
And I'll probably take it. HAZE (GOLD / DEEP PURPLE) version. It will be good to look in a pair with the M60-A(LAKE).
RAMA M60-A(LAKE) | RAMA KOYU(HAZE) | RAMA M60-A SEQ2(MILK) | RAMA M6-C(MILK) | RAMA M65-B(ICED) | RAMA M6-C(ICED)
SA Pulse(R3) + Mitolet | GMK Jamón | GMK Calm Depths | GMK Chocolatier | GMK Minimal | GMK Striker | GMK Pulse(Mitolet) | GMK Phosphorous | GMK Peach Blossom | GMK Nautilus 2 | GMK Bleached | GMK Pono | GMK Pixel | GMK Metropolis R2 | GMK DUALSHOT 2 | SA Polyclear

Offline dimo

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 03 October 2018, 11:48:10 »
And I'll probably take it. HAZE (GOLD / DEEP PURPLE) version. It will be good to look in a pair with the M60-A(LAKE).

haze gold + gmk phantom

Offline ttot

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 03 October 2018, 12:13:01 »

haze gold + gmk phantom

Oh yeah! Hope buy extras then set is come into the world. But, by the end of the year I will have Mitolet (from Pulse SA R3 drop), I think he will be good too.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 October 2018, 12:17:38 by ttot »
RAMA M60-A(LAKE) | RAMA KOYU(HAZE) | RAMA M60-A SEQ2(MILK) | RAMA M6-C(MILK) | RAMA M65-B(ICED) | RAMA M6-C(ICED)
SA Pulse(R3) + Mitolet | GMK Jamón | GMK Calm Depths | GMK Chocolatier | GMK Minimal | GMK Striker | GMK Pulse(Mitolet) | GMK Phosphorous | GMK Peach Blossom | GMK Nautilus 2 | GMK Bleached | GMK Pono | GMK Pixel | GMK Metropolis R2 | GMK DUALSHOT 2 | SA Polyclear

Offline PoochZag

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 03 October 2018, 13:15:56 »
Can anyone confirm the switches are indeed south facing?  It looks like they are in some of the rendered pictures, but wanted to make sure that's how they actually are oriented.
TX-CP, TX60, Campine Mk. III, Mira SE

Offline onefivenine

• Project Keyboard LLC
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 03 October 2018, 13:51:47 »
Can anyone confirm the switches are indeed south facing?  It looks like they are in some of the rendered pictures, but wanted to make sure that's how they actually are oriented.

Link to the PCB:
https://ramaworks.store/products/koyu-pcb-extra

Offline 5inn3d-

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 03 October 2018, 14:56:43 »

where is the split backspace? i dont see it anywhere

sorry brainfart....my brain processed it as split space instead of backspace  :-X

Offline Marutks

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 03 October 2018, 16:36:50 »
I love split backspace.  I wouldnt buy a keeb without split backspace.

I went for the TANK !   I hope it doesn't attract fingerprints too much.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 October 2018, 16:56:49 by Marutks »

Offline PoochZag

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 03 October 2018, 17:46:53 »

Link to the PCB:
https://ramaworks.store/products/koyu-pcb-extra

Thanks you I appreciate it, south it is!
TX-CP, TX60, Campine Mk. III, Mira SE

Offline KingRama

• * Maker
  • www.rama.works
    • RAMA WORKS®
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 03 October 2018, 19:10:25 »

Incredibly expensive :( Brass is pretty tough to machine and material cost / moving the beast is a task

Thanks!
Definitely! Will be doing various set renders like we did for the M60-A :)

---

Also have a prototype of Haze / Race arriving in a few weeks, will have video material up when it arrives
Didn't notice my personal messages have been disabled for those thinking you have been blocked - to contact please reach out through Facebook messages or support email!

Offline vonswoopington

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 03 October 2018, 19:58:32 »

Incredibly expensive :( Brass is pretty tough to machine and material cost / moving the beast is a task

Thanks!
Definitely! Will be doing various set renders like we did for the M60-A :)

---

Also have a prototype of Haze / Race arriving in a few weeks, will have video material up when it arrives
Awesome looking forward to it

Offline ptykozoon

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 03 October 2018, 20:20:10 »
I really like this keyboard but as for the split backspace - if I want to go with an aftermarket keycap set (say GMK), I don't see that they manufacture a backspace in that smaller size? Am I missing something? Or what is the workaround?

Offline hervuli

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 03 October 2018, 20:29:57 »
I really like this keyboard but as for the split backspace - if I want to go with an aftermarket keycap set (say GMK), I don't see that they manufacture a backspace in that smaller size? Am I missing something? Or what is the workaround?

The typical split backspace layout moves backspace down one row to where the backslash/pipe key is on a standard keyboard. Most modern GMK sets include a 1.5u R2 backspace key for this purpose. Then on the top row where backspace would be, you can have the backslash/pipe key and, depending on preference, the tilde key or perhaps Delete. Again, most modern GMK sets have a 1u R1 backslash/pipe key to support this layout.

I was a skeptic but after trying it there's no going back. Having to move your hand slightly less to hit backspace is completely logical - after all, it's probably a very small percentage of users that use backslash/pipe more often than they use backspace.

If you really want a 1u R1 backspace keycap, you'll often find it in any keyset that has a Planck kit or similar.
JD40v2 MX Grey | HHKB BKE Heavy | E6-V2 78g Tealios | ZealX60 72g MX Zilent | TGR 910 RE 78g MX Zilent | Singa Vintage MX Black | Octagon V2 MX Grey | Orion V2 MX Clear | Novatouch BKE Extreme

Offline Audiobs

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 03 October 2018, 21:18:53 »

The typical split backspace layout moves backspace down one row to where the backslash/pipe key is on a standard keyboard. Most modern GMK sets include a 1.5u R2 backspace key for this purpose. Then on the top row where backspace would be, you can have the backslash/pipe key and, depending on preference, the tilde key or perhaps Delete. Again, most modern GMK sets have a 1u R1 backslash/pipe key to support this layout.

I was a skeptic but after trying it there's no going back. Having to move your hand slightly less to hit backspace is completely logical - after all, it's probably a very small percentage of users that use backslash/pipe more often than they use backspace.

If you really want a 1u R1 backspace keycap, you'll often find it in any keyset that has a Planck kit or similar.

To me, the biggest change on a HHKB is the backspace. I think the design is great, but I just don't want to get used to it because there is no going back like you said. I do and often time need to go back when using other keyboards and laptops. That's why I want the Koyu (and bought the Doro67) because I've decided I don't want HHKB layout (I just bought 3 HHKBs BTW).

It would be nice to have keycaps available to try both backspace setup on the Koyu. Most GMK base kits come with the R1 1u 'Del' key, but not 'BS'. But the new Matt3o MT3 Susuwatari (awesome with the Koyu Race), the base kit comes with the R1 1u 'BS' instead. So I guess we can't have it both ways without paying for extra kits.

Or just put a blank or whatever on it. Problem solved.  ;)

Oh yes, KingRAMA, I have been drooling over your Koyu for a long time... what would it take to add a reversed Haze option? I guess no opening that can of worms?

Offline Audiobs

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 03 October 2018, 21:45:50 »
Is this new? Or somehow I missed it yesterday or at launch? Now there is no reason for me not to buy at least 1.  :D

https://ramaworks.store/products/koyu-base-extra

But if this is available for purchase, why can't we pick the top/bottom combination?  :-[

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 03 October 2018, 22:00:20 »
Very clean, my guy.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline vonswoopington

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 03 October 2018, 22:07:32 »
Is this new? Or somehow I missed it yesterday or at launch? Now there is no reason for me not to buy at least 1.  :D

But if this is available for purchase, why can't we pick the top/bottom combination?  :-[
Hmm I don't recall seeing that either. I would love to get gold top with red bottom and match it with gmk red samurai. Rama, any way that's possible?

Offline RivieraS

• Yutop
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 03 October 2018, 22:23:43 »
Will there be a pcb layout like m65??

Offline KingRama

• * Maker
  • www.rama.works
    • RAMA WORKS®
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 04 October 2018, 00:24:33 »

Definitely agreed! Backspace in the HHKB position is much comfier to use once adjusted to it. You'll also find no issue moving between backspace layouts once accustomed (ie moving between laptop and keyboard, it just becomes second nature)

Oh yes, KingRAMA, I have been drooling over your Koyu for a long time... what would it take to add a reversed Haze option? I guess no opening that can of worms?

Glad you like the KOYU! Unfortunately we cannot offer any more colourways, there's a point where it starts to become quite difficult logistically -

Yes, sorry! it is new, if you would like it added, just reply to your order confirmation email with the base you would like :)  Due to the reasons listed above, logistically it becomes too much of a challenge to create custom combinations unique to individual orders in the way that we package our products. However, I do really suggest to swap bases with other users to get the combinations you want :)

Very clean, my guy.
Thanks Switch!!

Will there be a pcb layout like m65??

Layout is fixed and will be as seen in the renders :)

Offline Audiobs

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 04 October 2018, 01:23:46 »

Yes, sorry! it is new, if you would like it added, just reply to your order confirmation email with the base you would like :)  Due to the reasons listed above, logistically it becomes too much of a challenge to create custom combinations unique to individual orders in the way that we package our products. However, I do really suggest to swap bases with other users to get the combinations you want :)

Depending on how many Tank/Tank Lite orders you get, would you consider adding the Tank or Tank Lite bottom as an option for addition bottom? Or at least the Tank Lite alum bottom? I am assuming Tank Lite's alum bottom gets the same mirror polish and PVD treatment based on the description. I'd love a subtle mirror finish in the back and bottom. They don't need to be exlusive to the Tank models, the tops already are. :)

BTW, is the mirror finish fingerprints resistant? Or am I spending a $1000 to be its slave polisher?  :eek: JK, if I bought the Tank, it will be for eyes only.

Offline KingRama

• * Maker
  • www.rama.works
    • RAMA WORKS®
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 04 October 2018, 01:46:03 »

Depending on how many Tank/Tank Lite orders you get, would you consider adding the Tank or Tank Lite bottom as an option for addition bottom? Or at least the Tank Lite alum bottom? I am assuming Tank Lite's alum bottom gets the same mirror polish and PVD treatment based on the description. I'd love a subtle mirror finish in the back and bottom. They don't need to be exlusive to the Tank models, the tops already are. :)

BTW, is the mirror finish fingerprints resistant? Or am I spending a $1000 to be its slave polisher?  :o JK, if I bought the Tank, it will be for eyes only.

Hey! We can definitely add on the Tank base to the listing - however it's beadblasted PVD as opposed to hand mirror-polished (as the grooves on the back would be very intensive to polish). The Tank Lite Aluminium bottom is the same as the Moon Aluminium bottom. The mirror finish / PVD coating is very susceptible to fingerprints - chuck it on a plinth and encase it in a perspex box! Past that, I hope someone goes at the edges of the TANK with sand paper to give it a brassing effect akin to the Leica cameras and their black veiled brass  :o

Offline Marutks

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 04 October 2018, 06:34:00 »

All GMK sets include smaller (R2) backspace key.