Author Topic: [GB] Rama Works KOYU  (Read 156186 times)

Offline Marutks

Re: [GB] Rama Works KOYU
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 04 October 2018, 09:43:26 »
BTW, is the mirror finish fingerprints resistant? Or am I spending a $1000 to be its slave polisher?  :eek: JK, if I bought the Tank, it will be for eyes only.

I am going to be "slave polisher"

Offline Audiobs

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 04 October 2018, 12:34:52 »

Is this new? Or somehow I missed it yesterday or at launch? Now there is no reason for me not to buy at least 1.  :D

https://ramaworks.store/products/koyu-base-extra

But if this is available for purchase, why can't we pick the top/bottom combination?  :-[

Yes, sorry! it is new, if you would like it added, just reply to your order confirmation email with the base you would like :)  Due to the reasons listed above, logistically it becomes too much of a challenge to create custom combinations unique to individual orders in the way that we package our products. However, I do really suggest to swap bases with other users to get the combinations you want :)

Depending on how many Tank/Tank Lite orders you get, would you consider adding the Tank or Tank Lite bottom as an option for addition bottom? Or at least the Tank Lite alum bottom? I am assuming Tank Lite's alum bottom gets the same mirror polish and PVD treatment based on the description. I'd love a subtle mirror finish in the back and bottom. They don't need to be exlusive to the Tank models, the tops already are. :)

BTW, is the mirror finish fingerprints resistant? Or am I spending a $1000 to be its slave polisher?  :o JK, if I bought the Tank, it will be for eyes only.

Hey! We can definitely add on the Tank base to the listing - however it's beadblasted PVD as opposed to hand mirror-polished (as the grooves on the back would be very intensive to polish). The Tank Lite Aluminium bottom is the same as the Moon Aluminium bottom. The mirror finish / PVD coating is very susceptible to fingerprints - chuck it on a plinth and encase it in a perspex box! Past that, I hope someone goes at the edges of the TANK with sand paper to give it a brassing effect akin to the Leica cameras and their black veiled brass  :o

Rama's design Perspex box? ;D

Please let us know if you do add the Tank base as an option. Thanks!

Offline schlep

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 05 October 2018, 04:55:32 »
Is there an estimated shipping date? Website only mentioned that the pre-order is till Nov 2018.

Offline Mekuno

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 05 October 2018, 09:59:23 »
Is there an estimated shipping date? Website only mentioned that the pre-order is till Nov 2018.

If we use the previous m60-a group buy/preorder that has happened, I would guess 6+ months. ususally less than 8 months.

Offline bball2

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 05 October 2018, 18:50:02 »
Hey Rama, just realized that I forgot to use the M60OWNER coupon code on my order (ordered the M60A previously, and the KOYU/Heavy set keycaps on this one), is it too late to have that applied?

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 05 October 2018, 18:51:44 »
Hey Rama, just realized that I forgot to use the M60OWNER coupon code on my order (ordered the M60A previously, and the KOYU/Heavy set keycaps on this one), is it too late to have that applied?
Try PMing Rama :)
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Genuine.Senpai

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 05 October 2018, 19:35:40 »
I really like this keyboard but as for the split backspace - if I want to go with an aftermarket keycap set (say GMK), I don't see that they manufacture a backspace in that smaller size? Am I missing something? Or what is the workaround?

All GMK sets include smaller (R2) backspace key.

So, since I bought into GMK Metaverse group buy, I'll be good if I purchase the Koyu? My biggest concern was making sure I bought into a keyboard that would allow me to use GMK Metaverse.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
  • I have ideas. Sometimes they're even good ideas.
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 05 October 2018, 19:48:33 »
I really like this keyboard but as for the split backspace - if I want to go with an aftermarket keycap set (say GMK), I don't see that they manufacture a backspace in that smaller size? Am I missing something? Or what is the workaround?

So, since I bought into GMK Metaverse group buy, I'll be good if I purchase the Koyu? My biggest concern was making sure I bought into a keyboard that would allow me to use GMK Metaverse.

Metaverse includes R1 1u and R2 1.5u backspace options, so you're good there.

Offline Genuine.Senpai

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 05 October 2018, 19:51:44 »

Metaverse includes R1 1u and R2 1.5u backspace options, so you're good there.

Thank you for the answer! In that case, consider this purchased.

Offline KingRama

• * Maker
  • www.rama.works
    • RAMA WORKS®
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 06 October 2018, 02:13:23 »

Rama's design Perspex box? ;D

Please let us know if you do add the Tank base as an option. Thanks!

Gotta get the perspex boxes with the light panel underneath so it glows :D

Also, after some consideration and already with the amount of SKU's we have for this product, we unfortunately won't be offering the Tank base separately for this run :(

We won't have a proper estimation on production until we have the numbers, but it'll be most likely around spring 2019 :) Once we begin manufacturing we will have a better estimation!

Oh no! Woops, just reply directly back to your order confirmation email and we'll fix that up for you :)

omg Metaverse with Race?? I will be doing this too :D :D
Didn't notice my personal messages have been disabled for those thinking you have been blocked - to contact please reach out through Facebook messages or support email!
WEB: https://rama.works/
STORE: https://ramaworks.store/
INSTA: @ramaworks
FB: ramaworks

Offline zumu

• Professional Typist
« Reply #60 on: Sat, 06 October 2018, 12:56:32 »
This is kind of my dream board, so I'm definitely in for one... maybe 2.

However, to be completely honest, I prefer the m65 way the user could select and build their own color combinations -- I'd love a solid purple or gold Koyu. Are there any plans to allow this type of mix match? I realize there is probably a cost / hassle reason from a production side that makes this less feasible.

That being said, I'm really excited about Koyu. Thanks for consistently making great products.

Offline Genuine.Senpai

« Reply #61 on: Sat, 06 October 2018, 17:48:40 »

I went with Kuro to keep colors neutral in case I switch up key caps in the future. I almost went with sage as dark green is my favorite color, although, while the base is a dark enough green, the top seemed to be a lighter shade of green.
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 October 2018, 17:52:15 by Genuine.Senpai »

Offline KingRama

• * Maker
  • www.rama.works
    • RAMA WORKS®
« Reply #62 on: Sun, 07 October 2018, 00:53:32 »

However, to be completely honest, I prefer the m65 way the user could select and build their own color combinations -- I'd love a solid purple or gold Koyu. Are there any plans to allow this type of mix match? I realize there is probably a cost / hassle reason from a production side that makes this less feasible.

That being said, I'm really excited about Koyu. Thanks for consistently making great products.

Thanks mate, glad you like it! And yes, unfortunately so :( We have to be quite selective with our offerings as much as we'd love to offer every colour possible it would become a nightmare to manage :( And custom colours require an entire batch of custom anodisation baths to be setup (which take up an entire room)

Excited to finally get the Koyu going though :D

I went with Kuro to keep colors neutral in case I switch up key caps in the future. I almost went with sage as dark green is my favorite color, although, while the base is a dark enough green, the top seemed to be a lighter shade of green.

Kuro is a great choice, that'll look awesome - I'll get a render with metaverse when I have some spare time :D The top/base are the exact same shade of green, it's just the lighting which is making it appear that way :)

---

Didn't notice my personal messages have been disabled for those thinking you have been blocked - to contact please reach out through Facebook messages or support email!

Offline bard

« Reply #63 on: Sun, 07 October 2018, 01:56:59 »

Thanks mate, glad you like it! And yes, unfortunately so :( We have to be quite selective with our offerings as much as we'd love to offer every colour possible it would become a nightmare to manage :( And custom colours require an entire batch of custom anodisation baths to be setup (which take up an entire room)

Excited to finally get the Koyu going though :D

Kuro is a great choice, that'll look awesome - I'll get a render with metaverse when I have some spare time :D The top/base are the exact same shade of green, it's just the lighting which is making it appear that way :)

---

Show Image

@KingRama when can we expect a real video with Koyu in different colours? Like you did with M60  :D

Offline KingRama

• * Maker
  • www.rama.works
    • RAMA WORKS®
« Reply #64 on: Sun, 07 October 2018, 02:45:49 »
@KingRama when can we expect a real video with Koyu in different colours? Like you did with M60  :D
In the following weeks! I got some new equipment for recording as well rather than using my phone  :-[ 
Excited to show it!

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
« Reply #65 on: Sun, 07 October 2018, 09:27:37 »
This looks great. Already in for one! :cool:

Offline KingRama

• * Maker
  • www.rama.works
    • RAMA WORKS®
« Reply #66 on: Sun, 07 October 2018, 18:43:12 »
This looks great. Already in for one! 8)

Cheers mate!

Offline cyyz

« Reply #67 on: Sun, 07 October 2018, 20:43:44 »
Hello,

I love the Koyu and want to go for the chocolatier combo. Is this the Moon Koyu? 

https://imgur.com/a/NbzF2UH

Thank you

Offline leece3

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 01:44:07 »
The PBT set looks intriguing. But only renders available, so some extra questions regarding theHeavy Industry keyset:

- How thick are the keys?
- What texture is there on the keys, if any?
- White is very white, like ePBT BoW, or a bit more classic/subdued?

Thanks..

Offline KingRama

• * Maker
  • www.rama.works
    • RAMA WORKS®
« Reply #69 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 04:47:35 »
Hello,

I love the Koyu and want to go for the chocolatier combo. Is this the Moon Koyu? 

https://imgur.com/a/NbzF2UH

Thank you

Hey, thanks! Zambumon did those renders, so not sure what colour reference he was using, but yeah! I'd say it's Moon with the Kuro base.

Here's a pic of Chocolatier on Moon, great combo for sure :D

The PBT set looks intriguing. But only renders available, so some extra questions regarding theHeavy Industry keyset:

- How thick are the keys?
- What texture is there on the keys, if any?
- White is very white, like ePBT BoW, or a bit more classic/subdued?

Thanks..

Keys are 1.4MM thick, same as GMK but PBT as opposed to ABS.

Texture is also the same
White is more of a pure white rather than a warm or cool white. Here is a comparison between 9009:

Offline leece3

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 14:49:36 »
OK. Sold on the PBT set! Thanks, looking forward.

Offline KingRama

• * Maker
  • www.rama.works
    • RAMA WORKS®
« Reply #71 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 20:18:00 »
OK. Sold on the PBT set! Thanks, looking forward.

Awesome! And now worries :) And should of said, the Heavy Industry key color is the one on the Z key for the comparison to 9009 :)

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 09 October 2018, 10:52:19 »
Do you think that Haze+Deep Purple base will go well with Laser GMK? Otherwise I may think about changing my order to Moon + the new Chocolatier (also ordered). Hmmm, decisions!

I usually go with neutral kbd colours for flexibility, but when something as beautiful as this comes along perhaps this is the time to go for something with a little more spunk.

Offline KingRama

• * Maker
  • www.rama.works
    • RAMA WORKS®
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 09 October 2018, 23:50:40 »
Do you think that Haze+Deep Purple base will go well with Laser GMK? Otherwise I may think about changing my order to Moon + the new Chocolatier (also ordered). Hmmm, decisions!

I usually go with neutral kbd colours for flexibility, but when something as beautiful as this comes along perhaps this is the time to go for something with a little more spunk.

I'll render those up so you can compare later today! Either way, both beautiful sets and can't go wrong either way :P

If you do wish to change the order colour, just reply to the order confirmation email :)

And yeah, it's totally a difficult decision, I personally always go monochrome, but in saying that I'm using a SAGE M60 daily  :p

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 09:31:28 »

I'll render those up so you can compare later today! Either way, both beautiful sets and can't go wrong either way :P

If you do wish to change the order colour, just reply to the order confirmation email :)

And yeah, it's totally a difficult decision, I personally always go monochrome, but in saying that I'm using a SAGE M60 daily  :p

That would be great, thanks very much! I look forward to seeing the renders and I really appreciate your service and responsiveness.

Offline Darknight00z

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 20:06:32 »
After seeing the m60 dusk photos, it looks stunning. Was it because of low interest hence no dusk for the Koyu? Any chance of squeezing that in?

Offline KingRama

• * Maker
  • www.rama.works
    • RAMA WORKS®
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 11 October 2018, 05:55:40 »
That would be great, thanks very much! I look forward to seeing the renders and I really appreciate your service and responsiveness.

Hey! So sorry for the late response, something came up the other day.

Here are the renders :)

GMK Laser on Haze:

GMK Chocolatier on Moon:

Supplementary Laser renders:

I must say, I think you're onto something with Haze + Laser, cause that definitely looks sweet!  :o

After seeing the m60 dusk photos, it looks stunning. Was it because of low interest hence no dusk for the Koyu? Any chance of squeezing that in?
Definitely does look stunning! Yeah, we replaced the two bottom-most orders colours with new ones to freshen things up a bit. Unfortunately no chance to squeeze it in, things start to get crazy when you offer too many combos :( Hope that makes sense! We do love seeing people stripping down the anodising and modding the enclosures themselves (cerakote/powdercoat too), always awesome to see things made their own!
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 October 2018, 11:44:45 by KingRama »

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 11 October 2018, 09:30:38 »
That looks brilliant to me, thanks so much for the additional renders Rama. When someone with your eye for design and aesthetic says something looks sweet... I'm inclined to sit up and listen! :thumb:

When do you think you might get your hands on a sample of the Haze (or do you have Haze on a different kbd?) - I'm curious how light/dark it looks in practice given the renders of it vary quite a lot between quite light and quite dark?
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 October 2018, 09:49:27 by mrpetrov »

Offline Genuine.Senpai

« Reply #78 on: Thu, 11 October 2018, 10:48:51 »
@KingRama Are there any renders of Kuro & Race + GMK Metaverse yet? Thank you. Really tempted to switch to race if I can manage to see a render of it.

Offline KingRama

• * Maker
  • www.rama.works
    • RAMA WORKS®
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 11 October 2018, 11:44:15 »
That looks brilliant to me, thanks so much for the additional renders Rama. When someone with your eye for design and aesthetic says something looks sweet... I'm inclined to sit up and listen! :thumb:

When do you think you might get your hands on a sample of the Haze (or do you have Haze on a different kbd?) - I'm curious how light/dark it looks in practice given the renders of it vary quite a lot between quite light and quite dark?

Of course, no worries at all! And thanks so much for the kind words <3

I think in the next few weeks should have the Haze and Race units in, will update as soon as I know! Metals are definitely a tricky one to capture, a video will be show it in multiple lighting conditions under both light and shadow when the proto is in  ;D

@KingRama Are there any renders of Kuro & Race + GMK Metaverse yet? Thank you. Really tempted to switch to race if I can manage to see a render of it.
Will get on that this weekend!

In the meantime:
GMK Carbon Black

GMK Phantom

GMK Miami Nights

Offline ptykozoon

« Reply #80 on: Thu, 11 October 2018, 11:48:41 »
Any way to get pictures of actual painted materials (potentially in different lighting) before the buy cut-off?
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 October 2018, 19:06:45 by ptykozoon »

Offline Darknight00z

« Reply #81 on: Fri, 12 October 2018, 17:38:48 »
Was browsing the Tank and Tank lite again. Did anyone else notice the fingerprints on the renders? Nice one Rama  :)) :)) I dont think the fingerprints were there on launch.

Offline alisonica

« Reply #82 on: Sat, 13 October 2018, 12:35:27 »

In the meantime:

I was thinking that GMK red samurai would be amazing on with Gold top and (Race) red bottom. But there's no way to customize a single order, i'd have to buy the gold one and an extra bottom yes?

Offline Marutks

« Reply #83 on: Sat, 13 October 2018, 15:20:50 »
I have got GMK Red Samurai.   Would it look good on KOYU Tank?

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #84 on: Sat, 13 October 2018, 15:22:26 »

Of course, no worries at all! And thanks so much for the kind words <3

I think in the next few weeks should have the Haze and Race units in, will update as soon as I know! Metals are definitely a tricky one to capture, a video will be show it in multiple lighting conditions under both light and shadow when the proto is in  ;D

Will get on that this weekend!

In the meantime:
GMK Carbon Black
Show Image

Show Image

GMK Phantom
Show Image

Show Image

GMK Miami Nights
Show Image

Show Image

The purple one would be a lot better with purple top and gold bottom imho
(perfect for phantom)

Offline KingRama

• * Maker
  • www.rama.works
    • RAMA WORKS®
« Reply #85 on: Sun, 14 October 2018, 07:06:30 »
Any way to get pictures of actual painted materials (potentially in different lighting) before the buy cut-off?
Absolutely, we have a few things coming in to show and will before the cut-off! There's also the same colours which are the same as the M60 (which is shown here:
10m25s)

Was browsing the Tank and Tank lite again. Did anyone else notice the fingerprints on the renders? Nice one Rama  :)) :)) I dont think the fingerprints were there on launch.
All about the details!  :))

Definitely! I'll be doing a render of this (hopefully this week) to show :) 
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 October 2018, 20:10:53 by KingRama »

Offline KingRama

• * Maker
  • www.rama.works
    • RAMA WORKS®
« Reply #86 on: Sat, 20 October 2018, 22:17:15 »

YEP!

---

---

---

Offline RivieraS

• Yutop
« Reply #87 on: Sat, 20 October 2018, 22:56:36 »
What about tank+symbiosis ?

Offline genesisx

« Reply #88 on: Sun, 21 October 2018, 07:47:10 »
First post on GH ;D Just pre-ordered a sage KOYU, pics are looking great!!! Hopefully will be my end game cherry board.

Also I know it's a stretch but how viable is the idea of an ALPS equivalent?

Offline KingRama

• * Maker
  • www.rama.works
    • RAMA WORKS®
« Reply #89 on: Sun, 21 October 2018, 22:34:25 »
What about tank+symbiosis ?

I can do the same colours on a GMK set :)

I was thinking that GMK red samurai would be amazing on with Gold top and (Race) red bottom. But there's no way to customize a single order, i'd have to buy the gold one and an extra bottom yes?

Unfortunately yes, but it would look cool with that combo for sure!

First post on GH ;D Just pre-ordered a sage KOYU, pics are looking great!!! Hopefully will be my end game cherry board.

Also I know it's a stretch but how viable is the idea of an ALPS equivalent?

Welcome to GeekHack! Hope you enjoy your time here! Sage is my favourite colour, the current setup is the m60 sage w/ 9009 :D

No plans for ALPS for the time being :[

Offline dario

• obsessive–compulsive hardware slut
« Reply #90 on: Mon, 22 October 2018, 03:22:19 »
Is it possible to buy a PCB for this case without hotswap thingies?

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #91 on: Mon, 22 October 2018, 04:11:08 »
Is it possible to buy a PCB for this case without hotswap thingies?

Why would you want to?

Offline dario

• obsessive–compulsive hardware slut
« Reply #92 on: Mon, 22 October 2018, 04:42:16 »
Why would you want to?

How firm and reliable are those? I never tried a hotswap socket. I'm afraid it could do slight wobble over time. It's probably not the same thing as soldering long-trem-wise.

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #93 on: Mon, 22 October 2018, 05:59:21 »
The switches are plate mounted, and the layout is fixed so there is no switch movement or wobble. The PCB doesn't hold the switch so it should be more stable than relying on PCB mount.

Offline onefivenine

• Project Keyboard LLC
« Reply #94 on: Mon, 22 October 2018, 19:24:17 »
Why would you want to?

How firm and reliable are those? I never tried a hotswap socket. I'm afraid it could do slight wobble over time. It's probably not the same thing as soldering long-trem-wise.

You could just solder your switches to the hot swap socket 😂

Offline KingRama

• * Maker
  • www.rama.works
    • RAMA WORKS®
« Reply #95 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 00:06:44 »
Why would you want to?

You could just solder your switches to the hot swap socket

Iz pozible 😂

--

Prototype of HAZE / RACE is doneee - will show you guys when it arrives! Also got a shipping notification for TARO so hopefully they coincide :o
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 October 2018, 00:08:42 by KingRama »

Offline Ashardalon

• Ashkeebs
    • Ashkeebs Lubing Service & Shop
« Reply #96 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 00:21:01 »
I'm super close to going in on the Haze, just waiting for real pictures instead of the renders, but so far it looks like it will be a winner. Also a little scared that Canadian customs will try to charge me customs on this which would break my bank :(

Offline NRbigfoot

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 09:46:12 »
Really like the sage case, but I think moon would fit my caps best
HBCP | FLX Virgo | aanzee | Mira SE | Leaf 80 | HHKB pro 1 | qxp | Rukia | IDB60 | equinox | No1Rev1 | Whale | Montage | 268.2 | Anniversary Whale | Jer80 | Evolv

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #98 on: Thu, 25 October 2018, 16:38:02 »
Very excited, pretty sure I’ll stick with the Haze and maybe buy an extra red bottom. Any ETA on the prototype Haze sample KingR?

Offline KingRama

• * Maker
  • www.rama.works
    • RAMA WORKS®
« Reply #99 on: Thu, 25 October 2018, 17:54:20 »
Very excited, pretty sure I’ll stick with the Haze and maybe buy an extra red bottom. Any ETA on the prototype Haze sample KingR?

Should arrive next week!!

Really like the sage case, but I think moon would fit my caps best

Moon and monochrome in general is the most universal for sure. Coloured cases are great if you have a specific set in mind ie sage + 9009  :o
I'm super close to going in on the Haze, just waiting for real pictures instead of the renders, but so far it looks like it will be a winner. Also a little scared that Canadian customs will try to charge me customs on this which would break my bank :(

Real pictures coming soon!