Author Topic: Unicomp Spacesaver M arriving Friday! :)  (Read 7264 times)

Offline macguy80

Unicomp Spacesaver M arriving Friday! :)
« on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 19:40:47 »
After an absence of too many years, I will once again have a buckling spring keyboard :)

Really looking forward to a proper Mac layout and native USB. I know some have criticized the build quality because the molds are so old, etc., but my opinion is, as long as the switches perform, the rest is gravy. :)

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
Re: Unicomp Spacesaver M arriving Friday! :)
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 19:50:20 »
Im pretty sure the SpaceSaver/Ultra Classic are newish molds. Not old Lexmark molds.

My Ultra Classic which is the SpaceSaver with Windows keys just arrived yesty. Ill take some pics, and share.

Offline macguy80

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 19:57:54 »
As will I when mine arrives.

I would have gotten an SSK if they offered it. They supposedly have something they're calling tenkeyless, but the layout is just bizarre. Why they're trying to reinvent the wheel, I'm not sure.

Have you found it easy not to bottom out? That thought never crossed my mind the last time I used a model M.

What I'd REALLY love to see is a new Model F, with a modern layout. That would be worth every penny, in my book. But I know that's not gonna happen. I love the model F sound.

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 20:11:49 »
Im a heavy typer used to rubber domes, so that bottom out question kind of meaningless.

I like the smaller form factor of the Ultra Classic compared to the Model M. And the USB connector is REALLY appreciated.

Not too enthusiastic about how the cable comes out of the case or the uncarriage cable management, but nothing unacceptable.

I like the curvature of the key rows from bottom to top row (side view curve rises). Nicely done. A lot like my NMB RT6866TW that Ive grown very fond of.

« Last Edit: Tue, 14 July 2015, 20:19:38 by EscapeVelocity »

Offline macguy80

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 20:33:25 »
I really want to try the RT6856TW. There appear to be no videos on Youtube to demonstrate its sound. :(

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 21:54:29 »
I use an IBM SSK on my Mac.  Occasionally I miss an Option key, but otherwise it works well.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 22:46:05 »
I really want to try the RT6856TW. There appear to be no videos on Youtube to demonstrate its sound. :(

Maybe Illl make one. And compare it to a couple of widely known keyboards that I have.

Offline macguy80

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 22:58:19 »
That would be awesome! I'd be most interested in the KB-8923, Dell Quietkey, and on the outer edge, the Noppoo EC-108

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 23:57:25 »
Ive been wanting to get another instance of the IBM 8923, because I have some doubt about it's being a new (unsused) keyboard. Just to confirm...the characteristics that Ive observed.

I really like the Dell QuietKey RT7D5JTW as well. It's a lot quieter than the NMB RT6856TW which has superior key feel all the way around, but is noisy as all get out.

The thing I dont like about the Noppoo EC108 Pro 40g (+/-5g) is how light the key force is...and because of that light weight, the tactility is pretty non existent.  I dont mind linears, I find the Black Alps & Cherry MX switches very acceptable...but not so much Cherry MX Reds.  The bottom out isnt mushy though like with (most Rubber Domes including the Dell QuietKey RT7D5JTW but not the NMB RT6856TW), and the key return is fast. Noppoo is pretty quiet with a more thwock than thwack at bottom out...pleasant sounding. Id probably prefer some landing pads for these (ala damped Alps on the AEKII) and 55g Topres (or even 60/65g) The bottom out on the Noppoo feels a lot like the bottom out on the Dell AT101W.

« Last Edit: Wed, 15 July 2015, 00:50:21 by EscapeVelocity »

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 10:37:38 »
After an absence of too many years, I will once again have a buckling spring keyboard :)

Really looking forward to a proper Mac layout and native USB. I know some have criticized the build quality because the molds are so old, etc., but my opinion is, as long as the switches perform, the rest is gravy. :)

I am just curious, which one did you get?  The black or white one?  The molds are from the EnduraPro, which have a built-in pointer and buttons.  They have a smaller footprint than the Classic.

Unicomp has some new dye-sublimination equipment, and the fonts are much improved, but there are limitations in how far/wide the keys can be imprinted.  A good example is NumLk/ScrLk key I did order from them.

The improvement in the fonts and dye-sublimination is amazing.  To the left and right of the Unicomp NumLk/ScrLk key are the original keys on the keyboard.  The only problem they have is the something-or-other doodad that makes them; it doesn't spread much more than you see.  So it can't print near the top or bottom of the keys.

So the fuzzy font problem is fixed, and I believe it is only on new production boards.  (An example is the new 122 key-keyboard.)

I'm not going to give up on Unicomp yet.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 July 2015, 11:24:13 by Snowdog993 »

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 14:08:07 »
Im not sure Im following you Snowdog. Here Ill take some pics.

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 16:17:16 »
Unicomp Ultra Classic 103 in White with Pearl & Pebble Key Caps

Offline macguy80

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 16:28:28 »
Wait, where'd your K keycap go? I thought the two-part keycap was a trick only the Classic 101/104 could pull off!

If they changed that, I'm going to be twice as happy!

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 16:33:42 »
I chose the 103 version with the longer spacebar over the 104 verison with the extra windows key on the right. It was a $10 "upgrade."

Offline macguy80

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 16:43:45 »
Ah, that explains it. No such option for the Spacesaver M. I really wanted Mac legends, so I guess that's a small sacrifice to make. :)

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 17:15:19 »
Here is the 104 Key version of the Unicomp Ultra Classic. You can see the shortened space bar to make room for the extra Windows key on the right.

And my 103 Key version of the Unicomp Ultra Classic again for comparison.

« Last Edit: Wed, 15 July 2015, 17:37:25 by EscapeVelocity »

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 17:28:33 »
Looks good. I really do like the 103 version more than the 104. At least aesthetically.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 23:38:40 »
Unicomp Ultra Classic 103 in White with Pearl & Pebble Key Caps
Here is the 104 Key version of the Unicomp Ultra Classic. You can see the shortened space bar to make room for the extra Windows key on the right.

All good and said and done.  What I am referencing is the NEW Dye-Sub they have now for the Unicomp keyboards, starting with the new 122 model.  As I was saying, the fonts are crisp and clear, BUT they don't spread too far from the center, like the original NumLk/ScrLk key I had made from them.

Here is a picture of the new 122 so you can see the difference in the legends as compared to the 103/104 keyboards.

« Last Edit: Wed, 15 July 2015, 23:44:53 by Snowdog993 »

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 00:04:58 »
So they havent started using the new equipment on all keycaps yet?

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 10:03:17 »
So they havent started using the new equipment on all keycaps yet?

I am not 100% sure.  I am thinking they will probably go through all their stock before making new ones.  But then again, they may just be producing them now.  That's the best answer I can give you.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 10:47:27 »

Here is a picture of the new 122 so you can see the difference in the legends as compared to the 103/104 keyboards.

Holy cow! Those look great!

I wish that they had used that equipment on the green alert set I bought a year ago, it is really shabby in comparison.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 10:58:53 »

Holy cow! Those look great!

I wish that they had used that equipment on the green alert set I bought a year ago, it is really shabby in comparison.

Yes but I am not sure if they are doing it now with the 103/104 keyboards as of now.  They have a new nomen*, but apparently it is better than what they had before.

*Whatever a nomen is.  I guess that's the thingamabob that makes the legends.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 15:44:31 »
I chose the 103 version with the longer spacebar over the 104 verison with the extra windows key on the right. It was a $10 "upgrade."

You could have done it for $3 if you found my thread on this subject.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=67076.0
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 July 2015, 15:46:54 by Snowdog993 »

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 17:30:09 »
So do I have the fuzzy legends or what?  I think I have the fuzzy legends...the words like Enter & Shift seem to be bold fonts.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 22:58:59 »

It's Friday!

Has it arrived yet?

If so, what do you think of it?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline macguy80

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 23:17:26 »
It's Friday!

Has it arrived yet?

If so, what do you think of it?

I wish, rowdy. I'm on the west coast of the US, so it's still Thursday here.

It's taunting me, somewhere between here and Illinois. ;)

I'll let you guys know my thoughts as soon as I have some time to evaluate. It's probably going to be Saturday in your timezone before it arrives.

I wonder.... should I try not to bottom out, or just let my fingers fly?

I would love it if my keycaps were the two-part variety, but I don't hold out much hope, based on the Youtube reviews I've seen.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 23:21:48 »
I wish, rowdy. I'm on the west coast of the US, so it's still Thursday here.

I wonder.... should I try not to bottom out, or just let my fingers fly?

Living in the past :p

Let your fingers fly - they will find out how far to push the keys by themselves.  Besides, with such wonderful sound, why would you not want to bottom out?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 07:10:22 »
The nice thing about buckling springs is that they don't care.

You can tickle them with grams of force or pummel them with pounds of force, and it is all the same to them - great for taking out aggression during a bad day at the office.

Personally, the allure of tactility is sending the message that your finger can stop immediately after actuation and move on.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 10:36:16 »
I think the biggest reason I posted in this thread is that I am seriously curious if they use the new or old legends on new orders.  I am hoping they are doing the new ones on all new orders now.  We will see!

Offline macguy80

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 11:52:42 »
Yes, we shall. No delivery yet, but it is "out for delivery"!

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 21:40:48 »
So does mine have the new legends?  Unsure.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 23:49:42 »
So does mine have the new legends?  Unsure.

I am not too sure myself with the pictures you submitted.  If you took a picture like the one in this post, it might help.
BTW those are the older legends.  The newer ones should be much clearer.
The first picture is of the Unicomp 103 legends with the older "nomen"
The second picture is from an original IBM 1391401.
I am hoping the new "nomen" would be closer to the original IBM.

Offline macguy80

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 00:06:34 »
So, it's finally here! UPS took their time delivering. It didn't arrive until almost 6pm!

I am loving the feel and the sound. Pictures coming soon. A few of the keycaps came loose during shipping, but they just popped right back on.

Some of the legends are unconventional to say the least.

But what impresses me is how new my keyboard is. It was manufactured the day before I ordered it :)

More to come later

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 00:24:33 »
This is very encouraging! They've improved their printing a lot—good for them. They've even switched back to a font like the original IBM/Lexmark legends. I hope this inspires people to talk them up so they get more business.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 01:06:12 »
Im thinking mine are like the top picture in your post Snowdog. i have thicker (bolder) lettering on the Caps Lock / Shift / Backspace / Enter keys.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 03:56:26 »
So, it's finally here! UPS took their time delivering. It didn't arrive until almost 6pm!

I am loving the feel and the sound. Pictures coming soon. A few of the keycaps came loose during shipping, but they just popped right back on.

Some of the legends are unconventional to say the least.

But what impresses me is how new my keyboard is. It was manufactured the day before I ordered it :)

More to come later

There was a thread about the oldest Model M at one stage.  I think you'd have the newest!

Offline t888

• CONNECT 14400 ... Welcome to Skynet
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 11:17:07 »
I have a Spacesaver M, though it hasn't gotten much use since I got rid of my Macintosh PCs.  When I did use it.. I loved it.

Unicomp ♡ HHKB Pro 2 ♡ Realforce 87u 55g

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 12:06:44 »
I have a Spacesaver M, though it hasn't gotten much use since I got rid of my Macintosh PCs.  When I did use it.. I loved it.

Show Image

Thumbs Up on that one!  The fonts look proper.  Now all we have to see is the new one that macguy80 has.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 July 2015, 12:12:21 by Snowdog993 »

Offline macguy80

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 15:43:16 »
Mine actually looks quite a bit different from t888's. This post will be my first attempt at attaching a photo, so please forgive me if it comes out wrong.

But I can say this. My bottom row has a variety of sizes, and is not uniform like t888's. The left Option key and the Function key are both a very tiny size, somewhat less than 1U.
105897-0

The Delete key, instead of having a simple arrow, has two fingers (actually, an American Sign Language letter H!) pointing at an x'ed out lower-case A.
105899-1

And, though this is common to both our boards, the volume down legend is quite non-standard. Most keyboards simply show fewer sound waves. The Spacesaver M keeps them all, but merely reverses their order, from largest to smallest.

Lastly, a shot that shows off some of the overall legends
105901-2

Offline macguy80

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 15:44:53 »
Forgive the rotation! I have NO idea why they came out as they did when they look correct on my system!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 16:05:19 »
the volume down legend is quite non-standard. Most keyboards simply show fewer sound waves.

The one thing that I really wanted to get from Unicomp were the "media" keys: volume up, volume down, and Mute.

I absolutely LOATHE the way they handled their media keys, volume up is the only one that I like. Like you say, volume down is silly, and Mute makes no sense to me, I would rather that it simply said "Mute".

I don't use my computer as a CD player, so fast forward and such are useless to me since they don't seem to work in video.

Fortunately, Pause is already a "real" button, so that is not problem.

Offline macguy80

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 16:31:36 »
Very well put. I agree entirely.

Overall, I am very pleased with my keyboard, but I question some of their choices.

I gotta wonder what one of their rubber dome boards would sound like. I gotta say, wonderful bucking spring sound notwithstanding, I am also liking the clack of the keycaps as well, quite a bit more than I imagined. It's a shame they don't make it available in more layouts.

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 16:43:03 »
Do you have dual key caps, macguy?

Yeah, I like that other dudes bottom row better than yours (which is also how the 104 version of the Ultra Classic is configured)

Offline macguy80

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 17:07:40 »
It would appear that I do, based on the left Ctrl key that was loose during shipping. Since I did not see a bare spring underneath.

Although, I must say, they don't want to come loose nearly as easily as the SSK's I used at school. Those, you could remove and replace with your bare hands.
This being so new, I don't think I want to risk it.

The other odd thing, before I reseated the Ctrl key, I noticed the part underneath was black, not gray, as yours was.

This makes me wonder if maybe the modifiers are dual, but not the main letters?

I really don't know for sure

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 21:27:03 »
Mine actually looks quite a bit different from t888's. This post will be my first attempt at attaching a photo, so please forgive me if it comes out wrong.

But I can say this. My bottom row has a variety of sizes, and is not uniform like t888's. The left Option key and the Function key are both a very tiny size, somewhat less than 1U.
(Attachment Link)

The Delete key, instead of having a simple arrow, has two fingers (actually, an American Sign Language letter H!) pointing at an x'ed out lower-case A.
(Attachment Link)

And, though this is common to both our boards, the volume down legend is quite non-standard. Most keyboards simply show fewer sound waves. The Spacesaver M keeps them all, but merely reverses their order, from largest to smallest.

Lastly, a shot that shows off some of the overall legends
(Attachment Link)

I hope they use the new Dye-subs soon on the 103/104's.