Author Topic: Hello from AZ also!  (Read 1337 times)

Offline gioobeeo_

Hello from AZ also!
« on: Fri, 19 March 2021, 12:01:17 »
Hey everyone! I'm so excited to have discovered such an awesome hobby/community!
I am 100% new to the world of MKs, but have been binging TONS of videos, wandering through all of the forums, and getting familiar with GBs and all of that jazz. With the serotonin boost I get listening MK typing tests, I am completely okay with kissing my money goodbye haha
I am not sure what my first build will be quite yet; I am definitely still in the obsessing-before-I-buy-all-my-parts phase. But I do know that I want to start with a 65% and probably some linear switches. I have your typical 9-5 office job (although with the pandemic it's been a 9-5 HOME office job), so I also want something that will make me happy as I write my 74th email of the day.
Looking forward to sharing my first keeb someday! -g
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 March 2021, 13:01:12 by gioobeeo_ »

Offline Maledicted

Re: Hello from AZ also!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 19 March 2021, 15:54:50 »
Hi gioobeeo_. Welcome to Geekhack.

What switches have you tried? Have you got a switch tester? I think 65% is close to ideal for a small keyboard. I don't know how people live without dedicated arrow keys.

I imagine you'll be using mechanical boards at work as well, once the apocalypse has passed.  ;D

Offline gioobeeo_

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 02 April 2021, 17:15:27 »
Hello Maledicted!

Yes! I've currently got the 72-switch tester from kbdfans, which has been helpful in understanding the different switch types, heaviness, sounds etc. and thus help with feeling so overwhelmed by choice. I'd love to get a feel for some tangerines, or some original aspirations, but they are not included in the bunch.

That is the goal! Someday, hopefully...  :)

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 06 April 2021, 10:33:51 »
Hello Maledicted!

Yes! I've currently got the 72-switch tester from kbdfans, which has been helpful in understanding the different switch types, heaviness, sounds etc. and thus help with feeling so overwhelmed by choice. I'd love to get a feel for some tangerines, or some original aspirations, but they are not included in the bunch.

That is the goal! Someday, hopefully...  :)

Yeah, the boutique stuff isn't typically in a tester, unfortunately. I have seen at least one service on Ebay where you pick and choose which switches you want samples of and/or a tester consisting of switches of your choice. It seems like a long time coming.