Author Topic: Weird Num-Lock key discolouration (OG Cherry)  (Read 2716 times)

Offline Almost

• Zs Xe
Weird Num-Lock key discolouration (OG Cherry)
« on: Thu, 26 January 2017, 14:45:07 »
Heyoo

The Num-Lock key on my 3700 has turned a weird yellow-brown colour, but only on the top center section. The rest of the key and other keys are completely fine. It doesn't want to come off even after washing it.  :(

There's a super strong border between where it's discoloured and not, phone pics don't do it justice (but they sure make dust show up more!)

Does anyone else have this?
Is this normal for a windowed key?  :confused:
Kbds: KOBO Red Carbon - Filco MJT2 Beige - Topre U23 - Cherry 3700 - Model F XT 5155
Sets: Dolch R1 - Red Alert - Hyperfuse R1 - Cherry WoB - Plum

Offline saxophone

Re: Weird Num-Lock key discolouration (OG Cherry)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 27 January 2017, 01:11:03 »
looks like simple yellowing from it being 2 pieces rather that one whole cap. retrobright it or something

Offline ImpendingxDoom

• * Maker
  • MF the SuperVillain
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 27 January 2017, 01:54:41 »
Heyoo

The Num-Lock key on my 3700 has turned a weird yellow-brown colour, but only on the top center section. The rest of the key and other keys are completely fine. It doesn't want to come off even after washing it.  :(

Show Image

Show Image

There's a super strong border between where it's discoloured and not, phone pics don't do it justice (but they sure make dust show up more!)

Does anyone else have this?
Is this normal for a windowed key?  :confused:
Windowed keys do not traditionally have double shot legends (in order to allow space for the transparent insert). They are pad printed, and the discoloration you are seeing is an artifact of that process. The bad news is that if you try to vigorously clean it, there is a chance you will fade the legend.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 27 January 2017, 01:54:54 »
The legend on the Num Lock key is pad printed, since it's a windowed key (the window is the second shot).

On Cherry keyboards produced after a certain year they put a clear coating over their pad printing to protect it, which is that rectangle that you see.

It's usually practically invisible, but obviously yours has discoloured over time. I find it quite odd; I have windowed Cherry keys that are far older and far more yellowed, but I've never seen the clear coat undergo a colour change that makes it obvious like this.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Almost

• Zs Xe
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 27 January 2017, 04:04:59 »
looks like simple yellowing from it being 2 pieces rather that one whole cap. retrobright it or something

Thought it could be, caught me confused since it happened so fast compared to the other keys. Retr0bright is a lot of effort for half a key  :))

The legend on the Num Lock key is pad printed, since it's a windowed key (the window is the second shot).

On Cherry keyboards produced after a certain year they put a clear coating over their pad printing to protect it, which is that rectangle that you see.

It's usually practically invisible, but obviously yours has discoloured over time. I find it quite odd; I have windowed Cherry keys that are far older and far more yellowed, but I've never seen the clear coat undergo a colour change that makes it obvious like this.

Oooh I see, I thought clear coat was a modern thing like on the pad print cyrillic sets from GMK. That does explain the stark difference between colours, is this coat cleanable/removable without damaging the print?

Windowed keys do not traditionally have double shot legends (in order to allow space for the transparent insert). They are pad printed, and the discoloration you are seeing is an artifact of that process. The bad news is that if you try to vigorously clean it, there is a chance you will fade the legend.

I'm sure to be careful with pad print, esp since it's old already. No chocolate fingers for this keyboard  ^-^
Kbds: KOBO Red Carbon - Filco MJT2 Beige - Topre U23 - Cherry 3700 - Model F XT 5155
Sets: Dolch R1 - Red Alert - Hyperfuse R1 - Cherry WoB - Plum