Author Topic: Can you put PBT MX caps on a Kinesis Advantage?  (Read 4305 times)

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
Can you put PBT MX caps on a Kinesis Advantage?
« on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 03:00:27 »
I ask because I have a DOOM cap I love more than anything, and I get my Advantage2 in under 12 hours! I guess i will find out soon enough, but it seems like they are highly specialized caps on the Advantage despite using MX switches.

I would like to put it in one of the main key wells but I will put it where the Windows key if those don't work. Then, the problem will be trying to find a matching artisan to balance it where the Alt is. Hmmmm.

« Last Edit: Tue, 07 February 2017, 15:58:06 by happylacquer »

Offline Salt Peanuts

Re: Can you put artisans on a Kinesis Advantage?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 12:13:32 »
FWIW, the keycaps on Advantage are all comprised of standard profiles.  The artisan will fit somewhere, but I have a feeling it'll likely be problematic on bottom corners of the key wells.

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 13:49:56 »
FWIW, the keycaps on Advantage are all comprised of standard profiles.  The artisan will fit somewhere, but I have a feeling it'll likely be problematic on bottom corners of the key wells.

Thanks! i'm typing on it right now. I was just comparing some of the main keys to some Leopold PBT's I have around.... as neat as this board is it's really a shame PBT isn't a keycap option.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 14:54:21 »
Yes.

But it's kind of annoying and not really worth it.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Salt Peanuts

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 17:58:28 »

Thanks! i'm typing on it right now. I was just comparing some of the main keys to some Leopold PBT's I have around.... as neat as this board is it's really a shame PBT isn't a keycap option.

I've got PBT caps on two of my three Kinesis boards, in setup pretty close to the stock. It was bit of a pain, though.

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 02:44:21 »

I've got PBT caps on two of my three Kinesis boards, in setup pretty close to the stock. It was bit of a pain, though.

:eek:

I would love to see pics! My PBTs are only white though...

I am also strongly considering replacing the switches all with clears or maybe something heavier...

edit: Got two birds stoned at once!

yeah that space key shine is killin me...  :-X
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 February 2017, 02:51:57 by happylacquer »

Offline Salt Peanuts

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 11:31:59 »
I would love to see pics! My PBTs are only white though...

I am also strongly considering replacing the switches all with clears or maybe something heavier...

Here you go.

I've also got a white Classic that I haven't done any mods.  The keycaps are combination of PBT DCS (the gray modifier keys), DSA Homing Dish and SA (Ctrl/Alt keys) from PMK, and Gateron PBT blank sets.  Bit of a pain as you need two Gateron sets for each board, thanks to needing two NumPad Enters and NumPad 0's for the thumb clusters.  You end up with a pile of leftovers.

I'll be replacing the switches on my boards with Jailhouse Blues in few days.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 February 2017, 12:02:22 by Salt Peanuts »

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 15:42:42 »
^^^^ Really thank you so much for those, they are inspiring! I might not get more crappy ABS keys after all. :thumb:

What do the two 30mm buttons do?

Only thing i'm wondering is how you got enough 2u keys?
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 February 2017, 15:57:39 by happylacquer »

Offline Salt Peanuts

Re: Can you put PBT MX caps on a Kinesis Advantage?
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 16:40:14 »
On Adv2, the left button is programmed as a momentary keypad shift button.  On Adv1, which is running a TMK via adapter, it is programmed as a layer shift button.  The right button is programmed as a shift key in both boards.  Both buttons function as any other key on the board so they are fully programmable through the on-board programming.

As for having enough 2u keys, for each board, you need two full (104+ keys) sets of keys caps.  Two each of numpad enter (for Backspace and Space) and numpad 0 (for Enter and Delete) keycaps are needed for the thumb clusters.  Unless, of course, you can source extra numpad keycaps - I had no luck, at least not in decent quality blank ones.

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
Re: Can you put PBT MX caps on a Kinesis Advantage?
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 18:17:17 »
On Adv2, the left button is programmed as a momentary keypad shift button.  On Adv1, which is running a TMK via adapter, it is programmed as a layer shift button.  The right button is programmed as a shift key in both boards.  Both buttons function as any other key on the board so they are fully programmable through the on-board programming.

As for having enough 2u keys, for each board, you need two full (104+ keys) sets of keys caps.  Two each of numpad enter (for Backspace and Space) and numpad 0 (for Enter and Delete) keycaps are needed for the thumb clusters.  Unless, of course, you can source extra numpad keycaps - I had no luck, at least not in decent quality blank ones.

Thank you! great to know.

I just loaded mine up with some spare 2u's from a rainbow set for the 4 thumb keys and put my old Corsair caps with the grey WASD and arrow keys on. Looks much nicer on this than the board it came from but I dropped the L key on the ground and still  need to find it.... so there is a Home button where L should be.....