Author Topic: Does it bother anyone else when your keycaps get dirty?  (Read 49496 times)

Offline agbockus

Re: Does it bother anyone else when your keycaps get dirty?
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 01:25:48 »
I WAS THINKING ABOUT THIS TODAY...when I was typing on my HHKB (black...so you can see every speck of dust that gets on the keys...). I feel as if I'm cleaning the caps every five seconds...this is not good...

Offline gadzkun

« Reply #101 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 04:21:52 »
its bother myself most than other i think  :thumb:

Offline Incredigasmic

• Orange is Love. Orange is Life.
« Reply #102 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 08:12:42 »
Considering buying a keyboard brush at this point :/
"If I married my 6th grade gf I'd be white trash...7th grade I'd be alright" ~ Binge

"Incredi is the foremost master of all things orange" ~ BroCaps

Offline ndolan33

« Reply #103 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 08:24:16 »
Think of it as a memory of the good times you and your board have had together :)

Offline hitlu

• [LF] Ogres and Colonel
« Reply #104 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 08:28:44 »
this is usful inf for me
Colonel or Ogre

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #105 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 08:58:23 »
An electric pump for tires could work as well. They are very noisy but for a few minutes of cleaning that would not be a problem, and it can get a ball needle at its end as well.
Another great idea!  Those will actually work even better as the air 'pulses' due to the way those pumps work.  Only problem might be that they need a 12v power connector as most don't have a wall outlet plug. :(

But then I was thinking, even an air bed pump may work well.  Or a shop vac in blower mode--although that may be too strong.

You can bring your board near your car to clean it. It should not be a problem, if you already have one of those pumps, as I do, it is just a way to put it into another use.
Good point, lol.

I don't know why I think everything must gravitate to the keyboard, lol.

We gravitate everything around a keyboard at GH.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #106 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 12:44:56 »
An electric pump for tires could work as well. They are very noisy but for a few minutes of cleaning that would not be a problem, and it can get a ball needle at its end as well.
Another great idea!  Those will actually work even better as the air 'pulses' due to the way those pumps work.  Only problem might be that they need a 12v power connector as most don't have a wall outlet plug. :(

But then I was thinking, even an air bed pump may work well.  Or a shop vac in blower mode--although that may be too strong.

You can bring your board near your car to clean it. It should not be a problem, if you already have one of those pumps, as I do, it is just a way to put it into another use.
Good point, lol.

I don't know why I think everything must gravitate to the keyboard, lol.

We gravitate everything around a keyboard at GH.
Whew!  I thought something was wrong, lol.

Offline Zaskar

« Reply #107 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 00:02:17 »
I don't mind it too much because I know it isn't permanently doing anything that a simple cleaning with soapy water acant reverse.

If it was actually staining the keycaps id probably freak out and never use light caps again :P

Offline RAMPSKALLE

« Reply #108 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 02:39:11 »
I find cleaning the keycaps satisfying. Very satisfying.

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #109 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 15:26:54 »
I find cleaning the keycaps satisfying. Very satisfying.

Question here is, do you get more satisfaction from a particular set versus another set  :p

Offline polentA

• Formerly withoutrulers
  • GMK plz
« Reply #110 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 20:28:43 »
I loved the Miami set until I actually started using it at work.  After about two weeks of use, you could see a thin layer of dirt/oil gathering on all the turquoise keys. (I usually keep my hands clean and wash them about 3-4 times a day after I piss/****.) I picked up a box of alcohol wipes and would occasionally wipe down the keys, but that became sorta tiresome to do every week.

Offline dthai17

« Reply #111 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 08:54:45 »
I wash my hands before typing and keep alcohol pads at my desk. So you're definitely normal haha

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #112 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 08:56:26 »
I loved the Miami set until I actually started using it at work.  After about two weeks of use, you could see a thin layer of dirt/oil gathering on all the turquoise keys. (I usually keep my hands clean and wash them about 3-4 times a day after I piss/****.) I picked up a box of alcohol wipes and would occasionally wipe down the keys, but that became sorta tiresome to do every week.

That is very sad. How is the Miami's texture? Is it rough?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #113 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 08:58:33 »

It's probably also good to ask which Miami set, if its tai-hao those caps have a coating that can be removed.

Offline Tofunator

« Reply #114 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 16:21:50 »
Bothers me a lot since I have blank white key caps but I have stop caring since I'm getting new key caps soon anyways haha

Offline agong8664

« Reply #115 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 21:32:45 »
All my keycaps are not rare, cause I choose keycaps simply on the feeling I type on them. So I do not care if I will ruin the caps, once they are destroyed(never happened though), I will just buy another set.
About dirty, if it doesn't affect the feeling of type, I don't care.

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #116 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 22:48:29 »

It's probably also good to ask which Miami set, if its tai-hao those caps have a coating that can be removed.

Yeah, the texture is sort of rough on the Tai Hao but has that slightly gross stickiness from the damn coating, gonna remove it as soon as I can get some alcohol at a high enough proof. I don't think 70% is going to cut it.
Methylated Spirits, not even once.

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #117 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 21:41:23 »

Yeah, the texture is sort of rough on the Tai Hao but has that slightly gross stickiness from the damn coating, gonna remove it as soon as I can get some alcohol at a high enough proof. I don't think 70% is going to cut it.

This and fire! (ok maybe not the fire)

Offline MagicSauce

« Reply #118 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 12:33:29 »
I hate the gunk that builds up on my HHKB...Gotta start cleaning more often

Offline shibataken

« Reply #119 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 13:02:05 »
Are there any real tips for maintenance of keycaps?  Maybe an Isopropyl 90% alcohol rub every once in a while or does that remove the paint?

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #120 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 13:16:28 »
Are there any real tips for maintenance of keycaps?  Maybe an Isopropyl 90% alcohol rub every once in a while or does that remove the paint?

I've seen people use denture cleaner to clean off their keys.  I'd imagine it's pretty easy on the plastic since it's basically just minty Alka-Seltzer, so I intend to use those the next time my keys get gross.
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #121 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 16:21:43 »

I've seen people use denture cleaner to clean off their keys.  I'd imagine it's pretty easy on the plastic since it's basically just minty Alka-Seltzer, so I intend to use those the next time my keys get gross.

The ultimate guide:
https://www.keychatter.com/2014/08/01/how-to-clean-keycaps/

Offline Wanita

• www.icstation.com
« Reply #122 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 23:55:39 »
Yes it seems a common problem now and hope one day we can wash the keyboard to make it clean.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #123 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 23:39:47 »
I just noticed the other day that my spacebar that I replaced with a Unicomp one is now as dirty as the rest of the keys, lol.  I think it was lonely since it was the only clean key.

I really can't wait to clean all the Ms.  They're really filthy.

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #124 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 23:45:22 »
I just noticed the other day that my spacebar that I replaced with a Unicomp one is now as dirty as the rest of the keys, lol.  I think it was lonely since it was the only clean key.

There's no time like the present  :thumb:

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #125 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 09:05:28 »

There's no time in the present  :thumb:
Fixed.  ;)

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #126 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 15:29:11 »

Fixed.  ;)

Haha, I went back to fix my post thinking I'd actually typed that  :-[

You need a keyboard cleaning maid!

Offline E3E

« Reply #127 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 20:00:40 »
If they're straight up dirty, like with actual dirt on the keys, then hell no! If it's shine, then eh. I'm totally not a slob, but I think genetics screwed me when it comes to key cap shine, (if it has to do with oils anyway) because most of my caps get shiny pretty quick, so there's not much I can do. I have found that using a fine polishing cloth can take the shine off even old super shiny caps, but aside from photo ops, it's really not worth it if they're just going to shine up again.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 November 2015, 20:03:40 by E3E »

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #128 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 11:58:06 »

Fixed.  ;)

I do...
If they're straight up dirty, like with actual dirt on the keys, then hell no! If it's shine, then eh. I'm totally not a slob, but I think genetics screwed me when it comes to key cap shine, (if it has to do with oils anyway) because most of my caps get shiny pretty quick, so there's not much I can do. I have found that using a fine polishing cloth can take the shine off even old super shiny caps, but aside from photo ops, it's really not worth it if they're just going to shine up again.
Non-shiny keyboard caps is kinda like non-shiny skin--doesn't seem real to me.  :thumb:

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #129 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 15:19:29 »

Fixed.  ;)

I do...
Show Image
Non-shiny keyboard caps is kinda like non-shiny skin--doesn't seem real to me.  :thumb:

Err...I better stop cleaning mine as well  :p

Offline Homenubbie

« Reply #130 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 18:46:03 »
I absolutely hate dirty keys so wash my hands before every typing session and NEVER eat or drink at the keyboard.

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #131 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 18:50:13 »
I absolutely hate dirty keys so wash my hands before every typing session and NEVER eat or drink at the keyboard.

Not even once? Cheeky pizza? NEVER!?

Offline tinymakesthings

• staytuned
    • Check out my stuff here!
« Reply #132 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 20:34:46 »
You must have a lot of self-control!

I'm also pretty strict about not eating or drinking near the keyboard but it's really hard to do so at work because then it means I have to finish my snacks/food/drinks elsewhere and won't be able to snack at my desk...

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #133 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 01:22:39 »

I eat and drink at the computer but I wash my hands frequently and won't type until after I've eaten.
Methylated Spirits, not even once.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #134 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 01:31:55 »

I eat and drink at the computer but I wash my hands frequently and won't type until after I've eaten.

I eat at the keyboard with chopsticks.  No need to wash hands :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #135 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 02:42:20 »

Ever picked up the chopsticks the wrong way?  ;D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #136 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 02:45:51 »

Nope :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #137 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 02:47:57 »

Pro :)

I've been eating so much Vietnamese food this year hoping to up my chopstick game.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #138 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 03:04:16 »

I've been eating so much Vietnamese food this year hoping to up my chopstick game.

I did drop a chopstick once :(

But only once!

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #139 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 03:26:11 »

But only once!

...and that chopstick was never seen again...straight in the fire pit

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #140 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 04:08:43 »

But only once!

No!  No, it was one of my yellow pair, and definitely recovered seconds later!

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #141 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 05:01:15 »

But only once!

No!  No, it was one of my yellow pair, and definitely recovered seconds later!

Haha glad to hear it... I don't really have a pair but do prefer the wooden (cheap?) ones over the shiny plasticy ones :D

Offline raymogi

« Reply #142 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 05:04:02 »
You two should get used to the metal Korean chopsticks. It feels sturdy and balanced in your hands :D
Please feed my addiction.

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #143 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 15:04:37 »
You two should get used to the metal Korean chopsticks. It feels sturdy and balanced in your hands :D

The food just seems to slip off the metal ones for me, maybe I need to just up my game  ;D

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #144 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 15:11:39 »
Who wouldn't be bothered! I semi constantly clean my blank white caps on my HHKB. The boards looks so good when they clean and so grimy when they not :( Any one got any tips for quick cleaning? I took them all off the other day and thoroughly cleaned them with a toothbrush and some clean green and water and they were looking grimy again within a week  :'( I use it all day at work so makes sense but still...

i put my caps in a glass off vineagear mixed with water and soap. Leave them for a day, then just wipe the dirt off with paper. As good as new

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #145 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 19:45:27 »
Who wouldn't be bothered! I semi constantly clean my blank white caps on my HHKB. The boards looks so good when they clean and so grimy when they not :( Any one got any tips for quick cleaning? I took them all off the other day and thoroughly cleaned them with a toothbrush and some clean green and water and they were looking grimy again within a week  :'( I use it all day at work so makes sense but still...

i put my caps in a glass off vineagear mixed with water and soap. Leave them for a day, then just wipe the dirt off with paper. As good as new

I found using denture tabs that I don't need to wipe them at all, all teh dirt seems to fall off into the bottom of the vase that I'm using.

Offline Charizard

« Reply #146 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 21:14:40 »

I found using denture tabs that I don't need to wipe them at all, all teh dirt seems to fall off into the bottom of the vase that I'm using.

Yeah I also recommend the denture tabs. Saves you a lot of time having to clean each cap individually, plus they smell nice afterwards.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #147 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 03:55:50 »

Yeah I also recommend the denture tabs. Saves you a lot of time having to clean each cap individually, plus they smell nice afterwards.

Mmmmmm nice and minty :D

Offline Homenubbie

« Reply #148 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 14:09:57 »

Never!

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #149 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 15:07:28 »

Never!

Clearly lies... :P