Author Topic: Keycaps "stained"  (Read 4670 times)

Offline youreastud

Keycaps "stained"
« on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 13:41:51 »
Hello, I noticed I had some sort of weird staining on a few of my keycaps.
They are ABS material.

Photos:
https://imgur.com/a/TmA1fFs

What I've tried so far:
- Washing with laundry detergent + water + scrubbing w/ a cotton round.
- Washing w makeup brush shampoo + water + scrubbing w/ a cotton round. (this is how I usually wash my caps)
- 50% isopropyl + Q-tip scrubbing.

Hoping someone has encountered something similar and found a solution, or may have a suggestion.

The only sort of liquid that has been near it is soup, as i sometimes eat at my desk. but i always will spot clean afterwards.
I'm the only one who uses my computer, so outside people are not a factor.
If I close my eyes i can't feel them; they do not have a texture i can feel.

Thank you in advance for any insight, much appreciated.

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
Re: Keycaps "stained"
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 13:46:55 »
possible that nail polish remover got near them, anything acetone based?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 14:42:42 »
weird

never seen that before
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline youreastud

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 15:14:54 »

AHH THIS IS IT!
Got one of those pump-type bottles to be less messy, but it had a clear plastic seal that i didn't remove and got everywhere.
Damn haven't done my nails in 3 years and this happens :( least it only got on a few of them, could have been so much worse :D

THANK YOU I don't think I would have even realized this was the culprit.

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 15:19:42 »

AHH THIS IS IT!
Got one of those pump-type bottles to be less messy, but it had a clear plastic seal that i didn't remove and got everywhere.
Damn haven't done my nails in 3 years and this happens :( least it only got on a few of them, could have been so much worse :D

Yay, identified!

Good news is you can probably use something like a magic eraser type thing to gently sand/buff the discoloration away.

Personally i would polish the sides and leave the tops alone as use alone should do the trick on the topsides.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 17:13:54 »
Unfortunately as it has been mentioned it does seem like alcohol-/chemical-induced damage :(

Offline youreastud

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 19:31:33 »

AHH THIS IS IT!

Yay, identified!

Good news is you can probably use something like a magic eraser type thing to gently sand/buff the discoloration away.

Personally i would polish the sides and leave the tops alone as use alone should do the trick on the topsides.

Great I'll try something like that, thankfully it's only on a few, and the K is the worst by far (and most of it is on the sides).
Thanks again :)

Offline xack

• Make'n'Modify
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 17:59:14 »
sometimes heat can help with that (at least for ABS-3D-Prints) but be careful if you should try it, to much heat could damage the keycaps.
Try the other suggestions first ;)

Offline killyou

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 10:19:03 »
sometimes heat can help with that (at least for ABS-3D-Prints) but be careful if you should try it, to much heat could damage the keycaps.
Try the other suggestions first ;)
Reminds me of Xbox360 bakeoff back in the day :)

Offline ag36

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 17:41:28 »
Try polishing paste(plastic safe ones) with cloth, they can retain some of the grains too. If your key is doubleshot try 2000 grit or higher grit sand paper too and try to take least amount material off it possible. Magic Eraser should work too.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 May 2018, 18:24:56 by ag36 »
Model M*5, SSK*4, M13 black*1, Model F XT*1, AT*1 F107*1, Unicomp*1, 3278 *1, Leopold FC750R*2, 980M*2 FC980C*1 Filco majestouch 2 TKL*1, Cooler Master MasterKeys S PBT*1, Uniqey Q100*2, Ducky pocket*1, KBD75*2, KBD19X*2, HHKB pro 2*1, Type-S*1 Topre Realforce RGB*1, 108 all 30g*1, numpad*1, 87U*1 Dell AT101W*2, Alps64*2, V80 matias quiet click*2, Quiet liner *1, WYSE ASCII *1

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 19:17:20 »
Ouch, that is gnarly looking. If magic eraser doesn't work a paste of mild (perhaps with citric acid) dish detergent and baking soda might help. I would definitely try whatever application you want to try on the underside of a cap before going full tilt. :eek: