Author Topic: best replacement for my cherry brown filco ?  (Read 3151 times)

Offline LifeIsGooD2

best replacement for my cherry brown filco ?
« on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 18:36:29 »
Looking for something similar quality tenkeyless to cherry brown filco. Backlighting would be a plus but not necessary if it makes it expensive. Or should I just buy a new filco ?

Offline platypus

• dongerino adventures
Re: best replacement for my cherry brown filco ?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 18:46:00 »
Black

White

I'd recommend some PBT keycaps to replace the stock ABS ones also.

Offline LifeIsGooD2

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 20:59:55 »
I know this gets asked a lot but why would it be good for me to get the PBT caps ? Are the stock ones not great?

How does everyone feel about ducky keyboards ?

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 21:06:25 »
http://codekeyboards.com/

As good a build quality as anything out there, backlit, and available with a number of switch options.

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 11:06:15 »
I was very underwhelmed with the quality of the stabilizers on the Code

Offline Snagg57

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 11:14:10 »
I know this gets asked a lot but why would it be good for me to get the PBT caps ? Are the stock ones not great?

The Main reason people recommend PBT keycaps is because they generally have a nicer feel and don't shine as fast. If you do not care how your keycaps feel then you can ignore this advice, however getting a high quality keycap set does make the typing experience much nicer.

And Ducky is generally regarded as a very reliable brand.
KUL ES-87 [MX Clear] || CM Storm Novatouch TKL Suppressed [45g Topre] || HHKB Pro 2 Suppressed[45g Torpre] || KBP V60 [MX White] || Noppoo Lolita Spyder [Kailh Blue] || Unicomp Space Saver [Buckling Spring] || CM Storm Quickfire XT [MX Brown]

Offline 108

• Yeet. Yeet.
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 11:21:29 »

PBT keycaps are popular due to the texture and feel. Depending on what type of keycap, and the method of printing(Unless they're blanks) you can switch, however PBTs can be rather expensive than other choices on the market.  I'm personally waiting for my caps to start to wear and get that nasty shiny look then buy some nice PBTs.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 11:41:52 »
I like keyboards with Costar-type stabilizers. I've had good luck with the WASD V2 87. It is also available in a "barebones" version (without key caps). The customer service at WASD is excellent.

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 11:46:39 »
I think at this present time Leopold's latest offerings are the most interesting alternative if you are looking for something similar to FILCO. The Leopold's build quality is on par with the other suggestions made here, with the notable trait of including thick PBT keycaps right of the bat.

Offline Kliwon

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 02:17:23 »
if love with costar stabilizers , the choice can be Filco, wasd, varmillo
but if you want cherry stabilizers , can select the Leopold ( PBT keycap ) or KUL..

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 02:38:26 »
but if you want cherry stabilizers , can select the Leopold ( PBT keycap ) or KUL..

Ducky uses Cherry as well.

My vote would be an IBM AT.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 04:32:47 »
Might ask why you need, or want, to replace the Filco.

And why you want MX brown switches.

A Filco used to be the keyboard of choice not that long ago if someone didn't want backlighting, and didn't mind paying a little extra.  There are many more choices now.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 14:17:57 »

Basically this, so you have to decide if you want cherry stabilizer or costar stabilizer.

Your Filco uses costar stabilizer if you need a reference point.

Personally I can't stand cherry stabilizer at all since it change the switch feel too much.

So I'd vote for getting another Filco, WASD V2, WASD CODE, CM Storm QuickFire Rapid, or CM Storm QuickFire Stealth.  Even after 3 years and after I've acquired many many boards, my Filco and Das are still my top 2 favourite.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 03:41:53 »

Basically this, so you have to decide if you want cherry stabilizer or costar stabilizer.

Your Filco uses costar stabilizer if you need a reference point.

Personally I can't stand cherry stabilizer at all since it change the switch feel too much.

So I'd vote for getting another Filco, WASD V2, WASD CODE, CM Storm QuickFire Rapid, or CM Storm QuickFire Stealth.  Even after 3 years and after I've acquired many many boards, my Filco and Das are still my top 2 favourite.

Cherry stabilisers make it much easier to change keycaps on the modifiers, but can be very unforgiving of even slight irregularities in the keycaps.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Kliwon

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 09:58:17 »

My vote would be an IBM AT.
Greetings from nubie sir..
sorry I forgot it , actually there are many cherry stabilizers that I do not mention too  :-[
just based on all I have, I still love my Filco compared KUL and Leopold , because costar strabilizers comfortable for me
but the three of them in my opinion really solid keyboard , for Filco nearly 2 and a half years now .. :D

Offline cheebs

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 10:01:31 »
The WASD V2 87-Key or KUL ES-87 are both good options.  Just be aware that the KUL does have very noticeable ping, while the WASD does not.  Drove me nuts.

Offline Kliwon

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 06:36:06 »
The WASD V2 87-Key or KUL ES-87 are both good options.  Just be aware that the KUL does have very noticeable ping, while the WASD does not.  Drove me nuts.
sorry to hear about your KUL :(
I have a keyboard KUL too and is the first batch and no ping until now ..
by the way when you buy it ?

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 06:57:54 »

Ping usually affects plate mounted boards with switches that have strong springs. Can be fixed by lubing the springs.

PBT caps are overhyped. They're expensive, it's hard to find a really nice looking set, the legends have to be darker than the base colour on all keys (due to being dyesubbed instead of doubleshot, only Vortex makes doubleshot PBT sets, in limited colour choices), so you can't have too much colour difference between the alphas and mods and they only come in a limited number of profiles.

The Leopold PBT sets sold by widebasket are nice, though.

I still prefer really good quality doubleshot ABS caps, like GMK Cherry or SA profile, especially SA profile.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.