Author Topic: Please help me choose best TKL or Compact!  (Read 2317 times)

Offline krbuck

Please help me choose best TKL or Compact!
« on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 10:40:42 »
Hi! I'm new to the forum, but have been doing lots of research over the last month or so and I'm still not sure of my best choice. here are my criteria:

• I use my keyboard to type mostly, but maybe 10% light gaming
  • I want something compact, but need cursor and insert keys; nothing bigger than a standard TKL
  • I'd like something of the best available quality.
  • Modifiable - I'd like something of standard or well supported form factor so I can update case, keys, plate etc... if I want in the future. I am participating in the Carbon massdrop it would be a plus (but not required) if I could use those key caps
  • I would prefer something that has the option of brown or black cherry switches

What would you suggest? Thanks for your help and patience with my noobness!

POK3R - Brown Cherry MX

Offline 108

• Yeet. Yeet.
Re: Please help me choose best TKL or Compact!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 11:14:39 »
On the high end keyboards you have the Leopold 200rt, Filco Majestouch TKL, Deck Francium Pro, KUL ES87, etc.. Here is a list with filtered for standard black/brown switches. I would suggest the Leopold(If you can find one), Filco, KUL. If you're looking for something a less unique you could buy pretty much any standard keyboard from Ducky.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 11:31:49 »
If you just need insert and arrow keys, 75% is probably a good form factor for you.
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline krbuck

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 13:18:04 »
Thanks for your comments 108 and hwood34. I'd really love to go to a 60% - I don't use end, pg up/dwn, prnt scrn, scroll lock, pause/break at all. There are a couple of "non-standard" layouts out there. I was thinking of the Leopold FC660M but I really want to have something that I can tinker with and modify if I like - that has aftermarket cases and keys available. There is a little of that there for the Leopold, but not much.

I should have added a couple other things:

- I want no lighting effects.
- prefer quiet if possible

So, Leopold, KUL and Filco?

What about Deck? Is it considered a good TKL keyboard? I don't mind the key fonts on it btw. They don't bother me.

POK3R - Brown Cherry MX

Offline fishcola

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 13:58:50 »
You could also check out the WASD V2. It isn't backlit and it has dip switches like the FC660m if you like to remap caps lock to ctrl, or disable the winkey etc. WASD also offers user-customizable keycaps, which are abs, but it's still a nice extra to personalize your keys.

With tkls and 60% boards, swapping cases can be a challenge. For example, there are some CM and Filco boards that fit in vortex aluminum cases, but the V2 might not fit, etc. It's also something of a challenge to track down an aluminum case. I use a CODE, which is a backlit V2, and I'm going to end up spray painting my case...
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 August 2015, 14:00:57 by fishcola »

Offline krbuck

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 14:10:22 »
You know what..? I just went a little crazy  :p and ordered a Pok3r with browns. I'm switching away from the one program that requires me to use the insert key (email) and I think I use the arrow keys infrequently enough that it won't be so difficult to use.

I just love the minimalist look, the fact that it comes with PBT caps and the case is aluminum.

I can always try something else if it doesn't work out, right?

POK3R - Brown Cherry MX

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 14:16:18 »
Don't fear the 60%. You get used to it, if you are willing to try a little. Once you do, you'll never look back. I use Insert, Page Up/Down, and the arrow keys constantly on my 60% boards. Once you get used to the layout it is second nature. I'm so used to it that when I'm at home, I constantly hit FN + w to up arrow on my TKL!
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline krbuck

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 14:20:52 »
Thanks inanis. Though I've been working with computers more years than I care to think about, I always try to be flexible and learn new things.

Cheers!

POK3R - Brown Cherry MX

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 14:21:13 »
Rf 55g

Only tkl that should matter.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 14:31:09 »
Rf 55g

My SSK strongly disagrees with you. This works out tho, more SSK for me. More RF 55g for you. We all win.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 14:34:45 »
Rf 55g

My SSK strongly disagrees with you. This works out tho, more SSK for me. More RF 55g for you. We all win.
Id say let them fight over it but the ssk 2 stronk for rf
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline 108

• Yeet. Yeet.
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 15:58:45 »
You know what..? I just went a little crazy  :p and ordered a Pok3r with browns. I'm switching away from the one program that requires me to use the insert key (email) and I think I use the arrow keys infrequently enough that it won't be so difficult to use.

I just love the minimalist look, the fact that it comes with PBT caps and the case is aluminum.

I can always try something else if it doesn't work out, right?
Great choice!  :D

Offline krbuck

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 16:04:39 »
I also want to build a custom 40%. Anyone watching know about the JD45 pcb or is there a better option available? The PLANCK just looks too far from a traditional keyboard for me to learn....

POK3R - Brown Cherry MX

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 27 August 2015, 05:50:03 »
I recommend the JD45 layout. It's compact enough, but doesn't sacrifice too many keys and the split spacebar area is great. Being able to use your thumbs more and utilising layers you really don't need a lot of keys to do everything, and it can be very efficient, too :)

Also uses mostly standard keycap sizes, although the legends won't match. Or if you're interested in a full custom layout, I have a strange preference for this one:

109614-0
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline krbuck

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 27 August 2015, 08:02:11 »
I recommend the JD45 layout. It's compact enough, but doesn't sacrifice too many keys and the split spacebar area is great. Being able to use your thumbs more and utilising layers you really don't need a lot of keys to do everything, and it can be very efficient, too :)

Also uses mostly standard keycap sizes, although the legends won't match. Or if you're interested in a full custom layout, I have a strange preference for this one:

(Attachment Link)
That's exactly what I planned to use. I'm using the Pok3r now and loving it.

I am monitoring the JD45 thread. Apparently JDCarpe is on vacation - I don't recall him going through the forum approval process for a vacation... :)

My understanding from reading is that the JD45 boards are not in production yet, so I'm waiting (sort of) patiently....

POK3R - Brown Cherry MX

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 27 August 2015, 08:13:06 »
I'm late to the party but why no one mentionned the Leopold FC660M : https://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=leopold,compact&pid=fc660mceb (should exist in other than mx blue variant).

It has arrow + insert, on a small form factor.
I think an aftermarket case has been on sale recently on MD.

2 problems on this board :

* 2x2.25 Shifts which make buying keycap problematic (got to figure a way to find a second shift),
* EK isn't selling it no more so I don't know where you can buy it atm
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline krbuck

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 27 August 2015, 15:32:09 »
I'm late to the party but why no one mentionned the Leopold FC660M : https://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=leopold,compact&pid=fc660mceb (should exist in other than mx blue variant).

It has arrow + insert, on a small form factor.
I think an aftermarket case has been on sale recently on MD.

2 problems on this board :

* 2x2.25 Shifts which make buying keycap problematic (got to figure a way to find a second shift),
* EK isn't selling it no more so I don't know where you can buy it atm

Amazing you should say this; I actually had a Leopold aluminum case (via Massdrop) on order and fully planned to get a Leopold FC660M. Two things really turned me toward a 60%: the one program that requires me to use the insert key as I work is being replaced at work. Also, I really want to do a bit of customization and there just seems to be so many more options when I go true 60%. Also, something is just pleasing about the look of a really minimalist keyboard.

I'm really liking the Pok3r. I kind of wish I'd gone with clears instead of browns, but I am participating in a group buy for the purple switches and I'm interested to see how those will work on a new custom board.

POK3R - Brown Cherry MX