Author Topic: Apple //c keyboards  (Read 1864 times)

Offline macguy80

Apple //c keyboards
« on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 23:22:54 »
I know that the //c had a couple different keyboards in its 4 years on the market, and I'm wondering which I have.

I suspect mine is on the newer end of the spectrum, because the keyboard, as well as the disk drive door, is platinum gray as opposed to beige.

The keyboard has what I consider to be the perfect feel. A definite click that makes Cherry blues seem almost linear, with a sound that is pleasantly deeper than Cherry blues.

I've seen mentions of Taxi yellow aka amber Alps, and have seen a post here in which someone managed to score a new-in-box keyboard with BLUE alps.

I don't know which I have as I am scared to try removing one of the keycaps for fear it may not go back on.

None of the youtube videos I can find either identify the keyboard or provide any appreciable sound sample.

Is anyone familiar with the evolution of the //c? All I know is, if the internals fail to the point of no repair, I am investigating how to convert it into an external keyboard with the use of a Raspberry Pi, as I saw someone do. I just couldn't bring myself to do that kind of surgery on a *working* //c.

Thanks!

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
Re: Apple //c keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 01:27:25 »
Maybe the Apple II keyboard article on the DT wiki can help you: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Apple_II

I've got the "hairpin" spring model. Was new in box, so it's nice in that way, even though it's not the nicest one switch-wise.

Offline macguy80

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 02:25:14 »
That's quite a find! I wish I could hear what it sounds like to type on. I understand that it has some sort of anti-spill mat, which contributes somewhat to reduced tactility. Mine is severely yellowed. Now I have to plug it into my dim bulb tester and see if the capacitors are still good -- it hasn't been powered up since at least 2009. I hope it's still in working order, but I can't vouch for all storage conditions it may have endured during that time.

The keyboard is good enough that, frankly, I'm surprised it didn't make it into any other Apple products.

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 02:35:56 »
Yeh, I removed the spill mat. It was horrible. The keyboard feels much better now.

Also, I made my own USB converter using the firmware from RetroConverter. Works great :)

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 03:21:32 »
macguy80: Your description sounds like model A2S4100, with amber Alps switches. When in good condition (rare for an Apple //c, as the keyboard doesn’t have any cover and were often sitting open to the elements for decades; a good condition //c where the computer works goes for several hundred dollars still on ebay), they’re really lovely switches. It might also be an A2S4500 with orange Alps switches: those are also very nice to type on, and make plenty of sound when they bottom out. The earlier //c model A2S4000 used the Apple “hairpin” switches.

The color of the whole computer’s case was originally the same “platinum gray” color as the keycaps (and I suspect earlier A2S4000 machines were also of similar color originally, though most pictures I’ve seen are quite yellowed), but the Alps-made keycaps and any other still-gray parts are made out of PBT plastic, while the yellowed parts are made from ABS plastic.

If you want to remove a keycap to see the switch underneath, take a pair of butter knives (these are generally smooth and won’t scratch your keycaps), slide their tips under opposite sides of the keycap, and gently pry upward. In my opinion butter knives are more effective than any purpose-built keycap puller, though they can be a bit unwieldy.
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 August 2015, 03:34:31 by jacobolus »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 03:22:08 »
Yoe: just out of curiosity, are those Apple switch keycaps Cherry MX compatible?

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 03:37:42 »

Yoe: just out of curiosity, are those Apple switch keycaps Cherry MX compatible?

Sadly, they are not. I have checked :/

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 27 August 2015, 05:02:52 »
The caps are removable on all variants without a problem, so that will help identify it.

I have one with the Apple hairpin spring switches (http://deskthority.net/wiki/Apple_hairpin_spring) and spill guard, referred to by Apple as "half stroke". One of the worst mechanical keyboards I've ever used in terms of feel. I bet you don't have that type! :)

It's most likely you have these in yours: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Alps_SKCM_Amber

Complicated clicky Alps. Slightly heavy, but very nice switches.

Sounds like you've got a "Memory Expansion IIc": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_IIc#Memory_Expansion_IIc_.28ROM_version_.E2.80.983.E2.80.99.29

I really love that little IIc of mine. My dad bought it (I think in 1983?) and I learnt to program on it. Kickstarted my interest in coding and eventually my career as a software developer.
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 August 2015, 05:05:18 by Oobly »
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.