Author Topic: How many of you own KBP V60?  (Read 4231 times)

Offline zars15

How many of you own KBP V60?
« on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 00:56:04 »
A question that I started wondering about.

Being v60 owner myself, I'm spending days to hack together a custom firmware. I am progressing nicely, but now I wonder how many of you would be interested in it?

So far I've managed to extract firmwares themselves, and almost cracked their encryption(yes, they bothered to encrypt firmwares real good...). So far it's been a pretty fun project which has taught me loads about reverse engineering.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
Re: How many of you own KBP V60?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 15:29:13 »
Count me in!

Offline zars15

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 15:52:55 »
Count me in!

Ah nice! How happy are you with your V60 so far?

By the way, I am really progressing. I managed to decrypt the firmwares, so now I have to learn how ARM assembly works... Scary, but it should be fine, if I got so far already.

Offline file_id

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 16:09:44 »
I own 3 KBP v60s as I love the layout compared to the Poker 2 and Poker 3. Can't use a poker 3 as I found out the Poker3 interferes with windows power management and the system never goes to sleep. One in Clear, Blue, and Matias Click. I'd be interested.
DS3 White YOTS (Blue)|Poker 2 (Blue,Clear)|QFR Rapid-i TKL (Brown,Blue)|QFR Rapid TKL (Blue,Red,Brown)|KBP V60 (Blue,Clear,Matias Click)|Code TKL Clear|Filco MJ2 TKL (Blue)|Filco MJ2 Ninja Beige TKL (Brown)|Novatouch

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 19:09:10 »
I did. Sometimes I miss it. I'm very interested to see what you come up with!

Offline julayyy

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 21:41:23 »
I have one myself and got so used to the layout that I keep trying to use the wasd as my arrow key on my work keyboard and realized it wasn't my v60 :(
QuickfireTK MX Reds         v60 mini MX Clears

Offline trustinkiss

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 22:40:56 »
The V60 Matias Click is one of my favorite keyboards so far! And I'd love to have it programmable one day :D

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 23:03:20 »
V60 Matias Click Alps version. Great keyboard.

Fully programmable would be amazing.
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 27 August 2015, 21:07:24 »
KBP uses low-quality switches, likely reject switches of another manufacturer, another reject switch user is massdrop
KBP also can't apply Cherry stabs well, their application sucks beyond imagination, clicky switches don't click, tactile switches are almost stiff linears
Anyway, when I got my KBP V60, I was shocked, I de-soldered the stabilised switches, clipped and lubed the stabs, replaced the faulty switch (a clear switch at that ...)
Filled the case with coins to add heft (great mod by the way, there are a lot of empty spaces in the case)

After these modifications, I fell in love with mine, didn't even replace the stock keycaps, I think they fit the keyboard extremely well

I've also noticed that the PCB supports a lot of other layouts, so it's like a hidden gem, a custom firmware could enable other alternative layouts, but I'm not sure how the screw situation is, there's probably something in between the pcb and the plate that the screws went into, so it's far from a standard 60%

I still keep my KBP V60 in my library, we spent like a month together, but bonded well through external circumstances

I increased my daily income tenfold while using the KBP V60, so it kind of left the impression that the keyboard was lucky, after I switched to an infinity keyboard, I suffered severe losses on the business end, and my income roughly returned to previous levels

As a small warning, the keyboard doesn't handle other keycaps well, D/SA's rub to something on the stabilised keys - so I think KBP V60 is a great keyboard to just buy, fix, and use with the standard keycaps and standard layout (imo, only the Shift+Esc->~ is missing from the default layout, Control+J->~ wasn't ideal)
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline zars15

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 00:44:09 »

Very interesting experience, loads of things to take from it.

Personally I didn't have any faulty switch in mine, plus I went with gateron blacks on this one. I will eventually lube it as well and coin mod sounds like an amazing idea, definitely doing it!

I did get other keycaps, as it's my second board, and I am going with mentality of modding it to perfection, rather than dumping money for more boards.

Yeah, I have same annoyance with tilde key and also, even if wasd arrow keys are nice, I'd rather have vim style arrow keys, so I don't have to change the way I navigate while coding and while doing other stuff.

And yeah, modding keyboard bounds you with it on an other level.

Offline StormyMonday

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 15:56:10 »
Ordering a V80 with Matias switches, so I'll be following along on this thread.

Cheers!

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 18:38:36 »
V60 Matias Click Alps version. Great keyboard.

Fully programmable would be amazing.
Same here. Too bad the original PCB is not programmable. I replace it with hasu's ALPS PCB.
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • hickneller.com
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 18:41:14 »
As of today I have one with matias quiet clicks.

Offline weeninja

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 03:11:57 »
I would be very interesting in having custom firmware for my V60. I've actually been searching the net for a way to make my V60 programmable like the pok3r. Would be my dream come true  :thumb:

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 03:39:04 »
I would be very interesting in having custom firmware for my V60. I've actually been searching the net for a way to make my V60 programmable like the pok3r. Would be my dream come true  :thumb:

There was a reddit post a while ago with a very dedicated user aiming to make V60 programmable

It seems he will get KBP to release the firmware sources at one point in time, but they won't make it configurable themselves
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline ANightOnCloudNine

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 06:07:42 »
Awesome idea, never had one, what's appealing to you about it?