Author Topic: [Pok3r] How would I insert a specific letter (not key) on a mac  (Read 2567 times)

Offline tofgerl

[Pok3r] How would I insert a specific letter (not key) on a mac
« on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 01:54:00 »
Title is confusing, I know. Let me explain:

I live in Norway, where ISO is king and ANSI is spat upon in the street. However, as a developer (and CERTAINLY not because ISO keycaps are impossible to find and expensive when you find them, how dare you imply such a thing!) I have decided to switch to an ANSI keyboard. I've ordered a Pok3r from Amazon.

I use a mac, and my plan is to switch between US and NO layouts according to what I'm doing. If I'm writing an email I'd be using NO layout, and if I'm writing code I'd be using US layout.

However, some times I want to be able to write the norwegian letters (ÆØÅ) even with the US layout, and with Pok3r's programming I should be able to. On windows I'd just use AHK and send something like ctrl-alt-command-shift-; and have AHK turn it into an Ø, but on a mac that becomes harder.

So, is there a way to do this on a mac? Preferably without software so that the Pok3r would just send the Ø directly - it has an ANSI code (http://ascii-table.com/info.php?u=x00D8)

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Re: [Pok3r] How would I insert a specific letter (not key) on a mac
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 01:57:41 »
I am not on my Mac right now but the alt-key, or option in OS X,  will give you alt-characters (not the same way as in windows -- much easier in OS X). this has nothing to do with the specific keyboard you use either - it's system wide in OS X.

iirc option-O gives you Ø. You might have to play around with the other letters but i'm sure there's also documentation for the alt/option layer in OS X.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 03:21:53 »
You can do all of the characters you want with the option (alt) key.

Here's a chart: Linky
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 03:36:39 »
You can do all of the characters you want with the option (alt) key.

Here's a chart: Linky

also important to mention, for the alpha characters, you can shift to capitalize. shift-option also opens up other symbols for non-alphas, and also prints the diacritic marks on their own instead of waiting for you to give it a letter to modify (it's hard for me to explain this, but for example you can press option-U to get an umlaut, then press the letter you'd like to umlautify- like option-U, o to get an o with an umlaut. if you just press shift-option-U, you'll JUST get the umlaut character with no letter).  it's actually a really awesome feature of OS X, IMO, but i can't send alt-S to submit forum replies as a result  :))
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 04:22:49 »
Excellent! Thanks, guys!

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 06:33:28 »
You don't need to do any of that just to send Norwegain language characters. The keyboard will send the keycode number for the ANSI layout position ";" to the system and the system interprets it according to the language installed, which in your case would mean it appears on your screen as "ø". If you install English(US) keyboard input and set it as the current one, it will display ";".

So you can just switch between English(US) and Norwegian keyboard input in MacOS and you can get all the characters needed. The only complicated key code is the key next to the left Shift, but that code is interpreted in Norwegian input as "<" and ">" (and "|" with AltGr?) which you can use English input shifted "," and "." keys to do (and of course shifted "\" key for "|").

I do this in Windows to switch between English and Finnish layouts. In MacOS you can create your own shortcuts to do this, but the defaults are the same as Spotlight (⌘␣ for previous language and ⌥⌘␣ for next).

The answers the others posted assume the input language is set to English (US) and those are other ways to get the characters.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 August 2015, 06:42:51 by Oobly »
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 06:41:09 »
You don't need to do any of that just to send Norwegain language characters. The keyboard will send the keycode number for the ANSI layout position ";" to the system and the system interprets it according to the language installed, which in your case would mean it appears on your screen as "ø". If you install English(US) keyboard input and set it as the current one, it will display ";".

So you can just switch between English(US) and Norwegian keyboard input in MacOS and you can get all the characters needed. The only complicated key code is the key next to the left Shift, but that code is interpreted in Norwegian input as "<" and ">" (and "|" with AltGr?) which you can use English input shifted "," and "." keys to do (and of course shifted "\" key for "|").

The answers the others posted assume the input language is set to English (US) and those are other ways to get the characters.
And they read my entire question

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 06:45:23 »

I do this in Windows to switch between English and Finnish layouts. In MacOS you can create your own shortcuts to do this, but the defaults are the same as Spotlight (⌘␣ for previous language and ⌥⌘␣ for next).

this is good to know - still seems a bit clunky to change keyboard layout just for a character or two, but it IS fairly easy. it's just that you can get the same characters in one layout with fewer keypresses in the way foxwolf and i described.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 06:47:59 »

And they read my entire question

:-[   :blank:

Well, I guess the others have got you covered then...
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.