Author Topic: BACKLIT IBM MODEL M  (Read 14988 times)

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
BACKLIT IBM MODEL M
« on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 14:12:34 »
Anybody ever tried making one? I guess the main thing that would have to happen is the keyboard would need one piece keycaps. A backlit IBM Model M would look cool though, especially a 122-key unit. Any thoughts?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Re: BACKLIT IBM MODEL M
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 14:16:01 »
Unless you could convince Unicomp to make backlit-compatible keys, I don't see where the effort would be worth it. Not to mention you'd have to rig up 122 LEDs in their own matrix on their own circuit, and provide them with their own power source.

You'd be better off placing a desk lamp over your keyboard.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Vanilla

• 110% Snuggable
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 14:20:48 »
Have you double checked that windows 98 supports backlit keyboards?

It's possible to self mod though considering the size of the model m case. Should'nt be too hard, the easiest way is to have the circuitry standalone and powered separately.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 July 2014, 14:22:25 by Vanilla »

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 14:27:50 »
The easiest way to implement backlighting on an M would be using EL mat or panels.  You would just need to cut holes to match up with the barrel plate, set it down, wire it up, turn on, and admire.  That being said, EL panels do get on the pricey side for something of that size.  I have seen that some places will cut EL panels to sized including holes, that would probably be the best bet, however would be the most expensive.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline 1391406

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 15:10:12 »
Anybody ever tried making one? I guess the main thing that would have to happen is the keyboard would need one piece keycaps. A backlit IBM Model M would look cool though, especially a 122-key unit. Any thoughts?

Phosphor Glow created a semi-backlit Model M:

Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 16:36:31 »
While as a user, hobbyist, collector, and huge fan of the Model M, I must categorically state that this is an anathema and a heresy.

I also can state that I have just disassembled a Model M and done some measuring, and find that there is 0.18" (4.5mm) gap under the keycaps when fully depressed.  That means that there is easily room for a prismatic reflective surface on the plate that could very nicely reflect light from side-mounted led strips.  3M™ Scotchlite™ Sheeting 7610 is a good example of such a surface treatment.

For example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCOTCH-LITE-REFLECTIVE-SHEETING-TAPE-3M-SILVER-/350154218923
Plus a few of:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/25137/lit-413/DarkSide_CONNECT_Dimmable_12_Modular_LED_Strip_-_White_-_Black_Sleeved.html?tl=g6c77s2118&id=VFyjgkDt

Might yield an interesting result.

Not that I would approve, endorse, or spend 45 minutes researching exactly what you'd need to do such a thing.

- Ron | samwisekoi

I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 17:05:41 »
Damn - for a minute there I thought someone had found a backlit Model M.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 17:19:01 »

Phosphor Glow created a semi-backlit Model M:

Show Image

Show Image

I remember hearing about that modification now that you mention it. I do agree it has a nice look to it and wouldn't be too hard for one to do. I wonder if anybody else has tried it?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 17:26:12 »

It's possible to self mod though considering the size of the model m case. Should'nt be too hard, the easiest way is to have the circuitry standalone and powered separately.

Oh it supports 'em just fine.

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 18:13:48 »

Afaik, almost every keyboard handles led lighting in it's firmware and is not effected by the computer OS. Just provide power and go.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 22:20:41 »
Damn - for a minute there I thought someone had found a backlit Model M.

Click Clacks Micro M had a windowed Caps Lock, though I don't think it was ever determined if it was backlit or not.  I like to think it was.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 23:57:28 »
MS Windows made a legitimate thread? What is this world coming to?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 00:15:54 »

And the first post is not all caps!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 00:16:48 »
That would be cool if someone modded one with reactive backlighting like a Ducky Shine or RGB lighting like the new Corsair boards. 
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 00:22:47 »
Oh man, I really want to see some pimpin' BS boards. Outfitted with metal cases and all. I bet someone could get behind that bandwagon. One step forward from the crazy Korean customs we have right now!  :p
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 09:09:37 »
There's certainly no shortage of Model M's to work with. I'm surprised more people haven't gotten into it.

Offline Melchior

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 21:50:16 »
Yeah, take a couple meters of AWG30 or thinner multi-strand (the teflon coated stuff), and cut the insulation - solder the SMD led's directly onto the wire just like in those tubular X-mas lights....

Would require surgical application of super-glue for affixing the leds - but very possible to do (and GOOD soldering skills).

Now soldering the wires for 100+ LEDs, that's less easy than just taking a couple lengths of EL wire and using covering it with some black/opaque heat shrink to mask the parts you don't want glowing....

Ducky ONE    |   CM Recon

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 07:55:17 »

Although the topic is to make up for that ;)

If someone could make a backlit mod for a relatively cheap price, I think that along with bolt modding would be an awesome service I would be more than happy to pay for :)
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 22:33:38 »

Although the topic is to make up for that ;)

If someone could make a backlit mod for a relatively cheap price, I think that along with bolt modding would be an awesome service I would be more than happy to pay for :)

I bet you could pay someone $50 to do all of that work assuming they get some practice with it and get good at it.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 03:29:57 »
Oh man, I really want to see some pimpin' BS boards. Outfitted with metal cases and all. I bet someone could get behind that bandwagon. One step forward from the crazy Korean customs we have right now!  :p

I would buy a couple if they were available easily  :thumb: .  Imagine an all metal casing Model-M truly made to last forever and use in battle, up close and personnel.

Offline dantan

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 06:47:09 »

Reading this I exploded with laughter.

Many geeks have overly complicated solutions for easy problems. Rube Goldberg machine?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 19:32:57 »

Many geeks have overly complicated solutions for easy problems. Rube Goldberg machine?

Where's the fun and technical challenge in just moving a desk lamp around the desk?

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 20:53:30 »

Where's the fun and technical challenge in just moving a desk lamp around the desk?

This is geekHACK not geek-just-move-a-desk-lamp-around.

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 21:05:13 »
UV on an SSK.    ;D ;D ;D

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 21:10:27 »
Someone has made a backlit model m, they used led strips under the keys. If only I could remember where I saw it. :/

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 19:11:24 »
Phosphorglow got a few things figured out with this:

http://phosphorglow.net/store/products/1392595-october-9th-1987/
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 22:39:21 »
Phosphorglow got a few things figured out with this:

http://phosphorglow.net/store/products/1392595-october-9th-1987/

I'm sure you can pay him to mod one Model-M for you easily.  He is an actual master in modifying any type of Model-M and have already bought a couple off him.

His keyboards look like it came from the factory all new and fixed  :thumb: .