geekhack Community > Ergonomics

Custom split ortholinear ergo keyboard

(1/8) > >>

TheloniousDrunk:
I'm looking to build a custom split ergo keyboard that is 100% or 75% (must have function row) and ortholinear. I haven't seen many posts or pictures of these out there, so I was wondering if anyone a little more versed in these split keyboards has some resources or projects they could point me to.

The ergodox is pretty much exactly what I want, but I need that 6th row of function keys (I do not want to do a 5th row that has a modifier for an extra row of functionality). Are these out there? Are there GBs starting for something like this?

MajorKoos:
Something along these lines?
https://keeb.io/collections/split-keyboard-parts/products/bfo-9000-keyboard-customizable-full-size-split-ortholinear?variant=8116065271914

TheloniousDrunk:
That's extremely close. Pretty much that but not a full grid, just ortholinear columns a la the ergodox

MajorKoos:
I haven't seen anything like that with a F-row.

vvp:
I believe that is because it does not make sense to require the F-row keys when there is enough thumb/palm modifiers. It is easier to press a thumb-key modifier and key in the main keywell area than move your hand to reach a key in the F-row. Many people put arrow keys in the home row through a function key for the same reason. You can put even chords with function keys in the main keywell like e.g. this:

--- Code: ---Win-F11 Win-F1 Win-F2 Win-F3 Win-F4 Win-F5 ScrlLck  NumLck Win-F6 Win-F7 Win-F8 Win-F9 Win-F10 Win-F12
Alt-F11 Alt-F1 Alt-F2 Alt-F3 Alt F4 Alt F5 CapsLck  Applic Alt-F6 Alt-F7 Alt-F8 Alt-F9 Alt F10 Alt F12
Shf-F11 Shf-F1 Shf-F2 Shf-F3 Shf-F4 Shf-F5 VolUp    Insert Shf-F6 Shf-F7 Shf-F8 Shf-F9 Shf-F10 Shf-F12
Ctr-F11 Ctr-F1 Ctr-F2 Ctr-F3 Ctr-F4 Ctr-F5                 Ctr-F6 Ctr-F7 Ctr-F8 Ctr-F9 Ctr-F10 Ctr-F12

--- End code ---
E.g. to get Ctrl-Shift-F4 press FnX-Ctrl-F xor FnX-Shift-V (when QUERTY is used in the base layer). Don't bother with F-row keys. Ergodox designers knew why they did not bother with the function keys. They are useless with a good firmware and good thumb clusters.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version