geekhack Community > Input Devices

Definitive Omron Switch Guide for Mice

<< < (5/44) > >>

Elrick:

--- Quote from: Leslieann on Sat, 29 October 2016, 17:01:28 ---Something I've personally noticed regarding lifespan,
I have found that at least in my case, that 20M switches are not as durable as 10M switches. While this at first runs counter to Omron, if you remember when I said resting your finger on the button shortens the lifespan, it's possible that the 20Ms are more easily damaged. So while a 10M may be rated for 10mil clicks, resting your finger on it may shorten it to say 9million clicks, while resting your finger on a 20M may shorten it to 5mil clicks.

In all fairness, this could just be a change in my use pattern, a change in Omron's production or Logitech's production as the 20s are a recent change for Logitech and their manufacturing has changed so it could be the supplier. Hard to say, but so far I have not been impressed with 20s.

--- End quote ---

Personally I stopped caring about what type of Omron is inside of any mouse model.  If the mouse initially feels good then I leave things alone BUT if the button feels soft or no click is present when pressed numerous times, then it's opened up to replace the unruly beggars inside.

Of course due to my hands and fingers I'm incapable of handling such tiny buttons with solder and cleaning, so I let my niece do the removing of the switches and soldering new ones in.  She has in fact saved a lot of mice from the bin and I have to say you youngsters with long and slender fingers are well worth your weight in Gold.

nyunyu:

--- Quote from: Leslieann on Sat, 29 October 2016, 17:01:28 ---Something I've personally noticed regarding lifespan,
I have found that at least in my case, that 20M switches are not as durable as 10M switches.
--- End quote ---

Do not bother with chinese Omrons.

Japanese Omrons are rated only as 1M click, but they have much sturdier structure, so they will outlive any of the 10M-20M switches.

On my last MX Revo mouse I swapped the standard chinese swithes to D2F-01F immediatelly.
That was 5 years ago, mouse is still in great condition.

The D2FC-F-something switches in my previous 2 MX Revos haven't survived till their 3rd birthday, both failed after 2.5 and 2.75 years.

Also I don't like the sound and the feel of the chinese Omrons.

Small notice: japanese Omrons have 0.1mm taller stem, that can be a problem on non Logitech mice.
Razer users have complained about the extra tension on the mouse top.

BTW, Logitech used D2F-F switches in their high end mice 20 years ago, meanwhile their OEM mice used noname switches like Huano or Zhij.
They abandoned this habit in '99, since then all mice are manufactured with various chinese Omron D2FC-F-s.

My friends and I had 3 MouseMan+ mice with japanese D2F-F switches, first switch failure occured after 4 years, 2 other mice worked for 5+ years.

suicidal_orange:
Thanks for the info :thumb:

Before I went shopping thought it might be a good idea to check the switches in my CM Inferno are compatible.  They are marked ZHIJ so looking at this pic (of a different CM mouse) with one next to an Omron it looks good to me?

I was surprised to see both failing switcbes are red (there are greens in there too) as left click gets way more use but middle has been failing for months and left only started playing up recently.  Needless to say this is not usable so it's repair or replace time.

tp4tissue:

--- Quote from: suicidal_orange on Sun, 30 October 2016, 09:08:54 ---Thanks for the info :thumb:

Before I went shopping thought it might be a good idea to check the switches in my CM Inferno are compatible.  They are marked ZHIJ so looking at this pic (of a different CM mouse) with one next to an Omron it looks good to me?

I was surprised to see both failing switcbes are red (there are greens in there too) as left click gets way more use but middle has been failing for months and left only started playing up recently.  Needless to say this is not usable so it's repair or replace time.

--- End quote ---

Keep in mind..   nyunyu--   is a biased, japanophile..

Tp4 am the largest proponent of D2F-F japan,   ,  I use them in all my stuff..

However,  I've personally worn out only 2x  D2FC-7N (China 20mil), switches.

I've also worn out 2x D2F-F (japan), switches..

So,  these personal experiences are by NO MEANS a true assessment of the reliability of the switches..

In general,  the only validation is done on the side of Logitech,  as they ACTUALLY TEST the switches to 20 mil clicks.. which takes months..

So,  IMHO,  as far as any engineering opinion can be given,   Our only reference point IS the logitech rating they stamp on the switches which comes out to 20Mil...

nyunyu:

--- Quote ---MX Revolution = 10M
--- End quote ---

I definitelly remember, that my first MX Revolution ('06) used regular D2FC-F-7N.
But I found 4 (10M) switches in my cookie jar, they might have been in my newer Revos ('07 and BT models)

Left to right:
japanese D2F-L (gray button): I bought these 10 years ago for MX1000 repair attempt, but these are regular D2Fs, NOT the soft D2F-F series. Very stiff :(
japanese D2F-01F (gray button): I use them as daily driver in all my mice
chinese D2FC-F-7N (white button): from MX700 or MX1000 or MX Revo '06
chinese D2FC-F-7N (10M) (lightgray button): from newer MX Revos ('07 or BT)

Seems like the older chinese switch is made of pure uncoated copper, the newer (10M) one has some coating, just like the japanese.
The coating on the regular japanese switch is darker, contains less gold than the coating on the low-current -01 series.

I'm not sure about the button color theory in case of Omron switches.
3M rated chinese Omrons found in some Razer mice had red buttons, but all others have gray or white button, depending of the origin.

As I know, TTC used button color as indicator of the durability, but their webpage with the exact specs is no longer available  :( )

BTW, I have seen a very different chinese Omron switch in Gigabyte mice several years ago.
Their housing was almost exact copy of the japanese Omrons, but had "Omron China" written on the top, and D2F-J01F was the model name.
Now these switches can be found under Qiaoh brand, and manufactured under Omron's license:
http://www.qiaoh.com/en/product-show.asp?id=132

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version