Author Topic: [IC] FreeBirdTKL // Affordable & Quality TKL  (Read 20126 times)

Offline pmdbt

• KeebsForAll Storefront
[IC] FreeBirdTKL // Affordable & Quality TKL
« on: Wed, 15 September 2021, 19:29:38 »
Hello!!! KeebsForAll checking in! We recently launched the FreeBird60 and it was a great success, thank you for all the support for that!
After much suggestions and tips, we have decided to make the FreeBird, a series of affordable but quality keyboards.

Inspiration
As we mentioned before, right when COVID-19 quarantine hit, we got into custom keyboard building, and was shocked to see everything all sold out with no date of re-stocking. Therefore, we decided to start KeebsForAll to try and fix those deficiencies ourselves! Our goal is start supplying the community with more in-stock products, faster GBs timeframes, and most important of all, high quality products at more affordable prices.

Our first keyboard project, the FreeBird60, surprisingly, had much more interest than expected. We have noticed that there are not that many affordable and quality TKL keyboards in the market, so we have decided to work on FB TKL as our next project, with Dingus and Taylor. Just like FB60, FB TKL will be an aluminum board, and it will be offered in 4 E-Coated colors.

Now, we introduce the FreeBirdTKL, budget-friendly TKL kit. Also offering WKL!!!

Mounting Style: Gummy O-ring or Top Mount
Typing Angle: 5 degrees

Group Buy Estimate Launch: November 2021

276139-0276141-1

What comes with the kit?
We will be offering a full kit & case only kit.

Full Kit includes:

1. E-Coated Aluminum Case (Black, Navy, White, & Olive)
2. Switch Plate (Aluminum, POM, FR4, PC)
3. FBTKL Hot-Swap PCB (Both QMK & VIA Ready)
4. Durock V2 Screw-in Stabilizers
5. Silicon Case Dampener & Feet
6. USB-C Cable
7. Carrying Case
8. Screws & Gummy O-ring

Case Only Kit will include:

1. E-Coated Aluminum Case (Black, Navy, White, & Olive)
2. Silicon Case Dampener & Feet
3. Carrying Case
4. Screws & Gummy O-ring

276143-2276145-3

PRICING
Full Kit: ~220 USD
Case Only Kit: TBD (at least 120 USD)

Edit#1: Prototype is in production at the moment, there's no exact ETA, as they are prioritizing on the FB60 production, but *fingers crossed* soon.

We will not be doing a poll for choosing colors and switch plates, as we are going to proceed with the same colors and plates as FreeBird60. Only difference is the addition to PC Plate.
Olive: 5757CP
Navy: 2188CP

Join the waitlist here! People in the waitlist will get a 2 days early access, meaning they will receive priority in shipping!

Yes, we will be having international proxies.

Thank you & Credits to
Dingus for Case Design
Taylor for PCB Design
TheBlackHammer & oggi for Renders
All of our community members!!!

Join our Discord to get the quickest updates on this keyboard, as well as other upcoming projects!
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 September 2021, 16:56:59 by pmdbt »
ID80, Rama M65-A, Black Inks V2

Offline ina

Re: [IC] FreeBirdTKL // Affordable & Quality TKL
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 15 September 2021, 19:33:28 »
really excited for this board the possible mount choices are also very nice

Offline pmdbt

• KeebsForAll Storefront
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 15 September 2021, 19:34:28 »
More Renders
276147-0276150-1
276152-2276155-3

FBTKL Hot-Swap Layout
276157-4

H88 Solder PCB (Compatible with FBTKL Case & Supports ISO)
276159-5
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 September 2021, 19:42:17 by pmdbt »

Offline RA Can

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 15 September 2021, 19:40:00 »
this is nice, is it compatible with other pcbs?

Offline pmdbt

• KeebsForAll Storefront
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 15 September 2021, 19:44:02 »
this is nice, is it compatible with other pcbs?

Hey, thank you for the compliment, and yes, it is compatible with H88 PCB.  :)

Offline pmdbt

• KeebsForAll Storefront
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 15 September 2021, 19:45:41 »
really excited for this board the possible mount choices are also very nice
Thank you, really appreciate it!  :thumb:

Offline zea

• yeh
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 15 September 2021, 19:52:14 »
I assume the mounting points for the plate will be the same as jane/koala/whale right?

Offline pmdbt

• KeebsForAll Storefront
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 15 September 2021, 20:08:15 »
I assume the mounting points for the plate will be the same as jane/koala/whale right?

Yes :)

Offline baka jiken

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 15 September 2021, 20:33:25 »
Olive WKL where do I sign up chief?  :cool:

Offline NightRye_

• keebs n' fluff
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 15 September 2021, 20:37:05 »
Frog competitor

Offline IMZO

• Matrix shill, and TKL WKL Lover
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 15 September 2021, 20:52:21 »
Olive is easy cop
More
Current boards: Jane V2 CE , Matrix 1.2og Silver WKL , Matrix 2.0add coating black WKL, Matrix 2.0add WKL Coating yellow, Satisfaction75 R1 Cloud white, Korno65, Bloop65, HHKB Pro 2 white,Lin Whale Pink WKL, Gok 7v White, Gok 7v Black, Orion V3 Silver WKL, Orion V2.5 Red WKL, Geon F1-8x Silver WK, Haus65 BlueGray, Plume65, Vertigo, Frog TKL WKL GreenF13

Offline SafeAtShore

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 16 September 2021, 00:37:09 »
I'll be looking forward to this! Will it be unlimited?

Offline Gnome

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 16 September 2021, 03:36:16 »
This doesn't look like an interest check to me.
I have a few questions: 1) Will the H88 Solder pcb be an addon or do i have to order it seperately? 2) Rought ETA? 3) Any build/promotion streams? I am curious to see the carrying case and the included usb C.
Looks like a solid board for the price. I've been looking for a TKL so I'm down!

Offline Ravenhar

• Merely an observer
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 16 September 2021, 04:52:49 »
Like the person above me, I'm curious on the ETA on this. I'm hoping to have enough saved by the time this drops. Excited to get myself a nice TKL and that olive is chefs kiss

Offline kameron

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 16 September 2021, 07:32:07 »
very good execution and great colors i am also curious about an eta and when protos will be made

Offline actress

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 16 September 2021, 07:44:41 »
Cool! Nvm saw the proxy comment.
Any chance for EU vendor?
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 September 2021, 07:51:38 by actress »

Offline pmdbt

• KeebsForAll Storefront
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 16 September 2021, 18:50:03 »
This doesn't look like an interest check to me.
I have a few questions: 1) Will the H88 Solder pcb be an addon or do i have to order it seperately? 2) Rought ETA? 3) Any build/promotion streams? I am curious to see the carrying case and the included usb C.
Looks like a solid board for the price. I've been looking for a TKL so I'm down!

Thank you for your support!! <3

1. You will have to order h88 separately from their website.
2. We are hoping to launch the GB early November.
3. Yes, we will be sharing the stream schedule on our Discord server under the freebird-tkl announcements channel within the next few weeks. :)
4. Carrying case and cable will be same as the ones come with FB60, you can find the carrying case under the FB60 announcement channel.

Offline pmdbt

• KeebsForAll Storefront
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 16 September 2021, 18:51:15 »
I'll be looking forward to this! Will it be unlimited?

It is unlimited, and after GB, it will be in-stock for a slightly higher price. :)

Offline pmdbt

• KeebsForAll Storefront
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 16 September 2021, 18:53:42 »
very good execution and great colors i am also curious about an eta and when protos will be made

Thank you! GB will be live most likely around early November, assuming there are no issues with the prototypes. We are expecting to receive the prototypes within the next 2 weeks. :)

Like the person above me, I'm curious on the ETA on this. I'm hoping to have enough saved by the time this drops. Excited to get myself a nice TKL and that olive is chefs kiss

Thank you! Most likely early November. :)

Offline o3okevin

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 16 September 2021, 22:46:24 »
Very intriguing at this price point - hope the prototypes turn out well

Offline Gepriester

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 17 September 2021, 08:20:46 »
Very interesting with international proxies and H88 support. Does the plate also support ISO?

Offline Kinesiologist

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 17 September 2021, 17:35:45 »
Which version of the H88 does the case support?

Offline autobot

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 30 September 2021, 05:39:44 »
Awesome design! Is there any chance at all for e-yellow?
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 September 2021, 05:44:28 by autobot »

Offline Jacki

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 30 September 2021, 05:52:02 »
Thats a great price, looking foward to it.

[img width=267 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/in3VqH2.jpg[/img

Offline STUDIOBLB

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 30 September 2021, 17:11:59 »
Love the look of the board, and the price really puts a cherry on top!

Offline blowmage

• ::blowmage::
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 01 December 2021, 22:04:32 »
I’m new to the hobby, but this board checks so many boxes. Tsangan bottom row, F13, WKL, hot swap, etc. So hyped for this one.

Offline hussar_name

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 02 December 2021, 03:26:37 »
This is very interesting. Any chance to have ISO hotswap too? How many orders would you need for that?

thanks

Offline Tulesto

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 02 December 2021, 10:40:39 »
Boy this looks interesting. Any protos being sent to creators currently? Would love to see a physical one in action!
Sangeo/Suit/Spring/Angle/CW88/Mode80/Arc/Corsa/Swift65/Neko

Offline maximize

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 03 December 2021, 22:26:10 »
Have you delivered any keyboards from your previous GBs yet?
Can you please describe how you plan to maintain this as an in-stock product? What are you going to do differently from other vendors in terms of raw material acquisition? How will you at the same time maintain low pricing, high quality, and shorter GB times? I see a lot of buzz words and a suspiciously low price for a TKL that includes everything you listed (carrying case, cable), so I’m curious what the plan is. No offense meant, it just all kind of sounds too good to be true.
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 December 2021, 23:07:16 by maximize »

Offline hussar_name

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 04 December 2021, 16:28:53 »
Can you please describe how you plan to maintain this as an in-stock product? What are you going to do differently from other vendors in terms of raw material acquisition? How will you at the same time maintain low pricing, high quality, and shorter GB times? I see a lot of buzz words and a suspiciously low price for a TKL that includes everything you listed (carrying case, cable), so I’m curious what the plan is. No offense meant, it just all kind of sounds too good to be true.

Very interesting, thanks for pointing this out. As usual we're buying a new product, when the old gb hasn't even finished.

Can I ask why in this case the cost is so low, about half of most other productions?

Offline DeluxeSofa

• God is dead and we killed him
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 06 December 2021, 15:08:58 »
What plate options will it have ? Would half plates like half FR4 and half POM be compatible ? will you send it to streamers so they can test it with different switches and give thoughts on it?

Offline hussar_name

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 11 December 2021, 15:00:02 »
Six months wait is just too much.

HOT swap pcb not available in ISO.

Bad thing about these keyboards, is that PCB and parts are never compatible; there are only a few which use the only and true standard, which is Hineybush.

At least gmmk offers some accessories, if you buy a gmmk pro you can change cover, plate, knob. There is a small ecosystem of accessories.
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 December 2021, 15:36:30 by hussar_name »

Offline seh0nk

• tech advantage blog
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 12 December 2021, 22:50:03 »

Very interesting, thanks for pointing this out. As usual we're buying a new product, when the old gb hasn't even finished.

Can I ask why in this case the cost is so low, about half of most other productions?

Bad thing about these keyboards, is that PCB and parts are never compatible; there are only a few which use the only and true standard, which is Hineybush.

At least gmmk offers some accessories, if you buy a gmmk pro you can change cover, plate, knob. There is a small ecosystem of accessories.

6 months is really quite good compared to most other keyboard GBs which take 8-12 months to fulfill. Their previous groupbuy has been manufactured and there are people who have received their units already, you should be able to find some on Keebsforall's discord server. Accessories such as cables and carrying cases cost a few dollars per unit at most for Keebsforall considering that they have already sold hundreds of units in the first few days, you really shouldn't be worried about that. The case itself is designed in an efficient fashion that has very little complex geometry stemming from side profiles or other such features, and Keebsforall has likely found a manufacturer that offers reasonable prices while keeping very good finish quality (I can attest to the finish quality personally). Lastly, I'm not sure why you are so concerned about accessories. Being able to choose from four different case colors and any keycaps in the world that you might fancy offers a lot of choice in terms of aesthetics.

Offline hussar_name

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 13 December 2021, 06:04:07 »

6 months is really quite good compared to most other keyboard GBs which take 8-12 months to fulfill. Their previous groupbuy has been manufactured and there are people who have received their units already, you should be able to find some on Keebsforall's discord server. Accessories such as cables and carrying cases cost a few dollars per unit at most for Keebsforall considering that they have already sold hundreds of units in the first few days, you really shouldn't be worried about that. The case itself is designed in an efficient fashion that has very little complex geometry stemming from side profiles or other such features, and Keebsforall has likely found a manufacturer that offers reasonable prices while keeping very good finish quality (I can attest to the finish quality personally). Lastly, I'm not sure why you are so concerned about accessories. Being able to choose from four different case colors and any keycaps in the world that you might fancy offers a lot of choice in terms of aesthetics.

Group buys are so last millennia.

This isn't a kickstarter, they have put up an industrial scale operation, with thousands of units sold. The consumer risks everything, they risk nothing.
Why don't they put a number of units for sale each month? Wouldn't it be simpler?
Anyway the only thing that I'm looking for is an ISO hotwswap pcb, wkless and stepped caps lock obviously

Offline mmayhem17

• Steam profile
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 13 December 2021, 14:15:06 »

This isn't a kickstarter, they have put up an industrial scale operation, with thousands of units sold. The consumer risks everything, they risk nothing.
Why don't they put a number of units for sale each month? Wouldn't it be simpler?
Anyway the only thing that I'm looking for is an ISO hotwswap pcb, wkless and stepped caps lock obviously

If you looked at their GB page on their website you would see in "extra PCB" section that there is an ISO pcb for sale.

Now about waiting a GB to finish to start another, I get it how one designer should do this to avoid problems in the runs, but imagine Keebsforall.com, AS A VENDOR, they can do monthly GBs because they are a VENDOR, they have infrastructure to do this, as of many of the vendors in the hobby.

And six months is a fairly waiting time in this hobby, you should know that. Life is simple though, or you buy it or don't.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 13 December 2021, 19:05:13 »

If you looked at their GB page on their website you would see in "extra PCB" section that there is an ISO pcb for sale.

Now about waiting a GB to finish to start another, I get it how one designer should do this to avoid problems in the runs, but imagine Keebsforall.com, AS A VENDOR, they can do monthly GBs because they are a VENDOR, they have infrastructure to do this, as of many of the vendors in the hobby.

And six months is a fairly waiting time in this hobby, you should know that. Life is simple though, or you buy it or don't.

While we encourage you to stare & gawk, we politely ask you do not feed the trolls.

Offline hussar_name

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 14 December 2021, 02:29:50 »

Di you like when people keep you by the balls? Yes, then for the same reason you like when someone takes your money and give you nothing.

A vendor should not run group buys, they should do rolling releases, selling each month some inventory like some serious vendors do. I won't name them because you don't deserve them. Anyway there are some very good people in this world: they're succesful and they take some risks by selling each month their products without making people wait in line for months. And each month they sell different quantities on the base of what people ask.

Offline growler

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 14 December 2021, 02:34:05 »

Di you like when people keep you by the balls? Yes, then for the same reason you like when someone takes your money and give you nothing.

A vendor should not run group buys, they should do rolling releases, selling each month some inventory like some serious vendors do. I won't name them because you don't deserve them. Anyway there are some very good people in this world: they're succesful and they take some risks by selling each month their products without making people wait in line for months. And each month they sell different quantities on the base of what people ask.
Seems an admirable idea, but not many people do that and most of the entire hobby/space runs on group buys. It would increase risk for vendors, and because of that there would be fewer vendors, hence fewer ideas, less innovation, less variety, etc.

I agree with some of the spirit of this, but on a practical basis I think there are good reasons why we are where we are.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Don't just stare at it ...

Offline hussar_name

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 14 December 2021, 03:12:26 »

Seems an admirable idea, but not many people do that and most of the entire hobby/space runs on group buys. It would increase risk for vendors, and because of that there would be fewer vendors, hence fewer ideas, less innovation, less variety, etc.

I agree with some of the spirit of this, but on a practical basis I think there are good reasons why we are where we are.

I don't join many group buys because vendors and waiting time suck. I spend one tenth of what I'd like to spend. So I don't think that the current model serves its purpose of making the community bigger. In the last five years, there has been an involution of the movement, with lots of sets with longer waiting times; we're waiting 16 months for a gmk set. In the end people order less, not more. Thank god that there is drop.com that offers some ready made sets and takes some risks.

And about keyboards, vendors are offering the same things over and over, the only ones that do something new are hineybush, gondolindrium or whatever it is his name, and some keyboard makers/vendors, probably three or four. All the rest of these group leaders could disappear tomorrow and nobody will miss them.

We're buying products that are already old. It becomes old tech in the exact moment that we order it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 December 2021, 03:17:31 by hussar_name »

Offline mmayhem17

• Steam profile
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 14 December 2021, 05:36:17 »

I don't join many group buys because vendors and waiting time suck. I spend one tenth of what I'd like to spend. So I don't think that the current model serves its purpose of making the community bigger. In the last five years, there has been an involution of the movement, with lots of sets with longer waiting times; we're waiting 16 months for a gmk set. In the end people order less, not more. Thank god that there is drop.com that offers some ready made sets and takes some risks.

And about keyboards, vendors are offering the same things over and over, the only ones that do something new are hineybush, gondolindrium or whatever it is his name, and some keyboard makers/vendors, probably three or four. All the rest of these group leaders could disappear tomorrow and nobody will miss them.

We're buying products that are already old. It becomes old tech in the exact moment that we order it.

I wonder who are you sir, maybe a banned user that decided to make a new account and rant on target posts, you obviously are a frustrated person in the MK community for some reason.

And again, life is simple, or you buy it, or you don't. You do not need to go to every topic in the internet you don't like to rant about.

Just buy a ****ty keyboard from drop if you do not like waiting.

Offline growler

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 14 December 2021, 08:57:24 »
Well, it's nice to see respectful intelligent debate here.

Don't just stare at it ...

Offline hussar_name

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 14 December 2021, 09:01:13 »

sorry, just answering to a monster

Offline beigeandbrown

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 14 December 2021, 13:36:42 »

Um, with all seriousness, you do realize that this board is one of the few that is highly standardized correct? Asides from the gh60 tray mount standard for 60% boards (which their other board used in fact), it uses the most standard pcb in the entire hobby as of now. It is  literally designed around the h88c. I mean I guess you could cry that it isn't a f12, which is a little more "standardized", but the whole point was for it to be an f13, which is actually becoming more popular in terms of standardization in most tkls due to the production of the h88c. Even more than this, the plate used is the most standardized plate style in the hobby next to "floating" plates used in tray mount 60%'s. This is the Jane v2 ce mounting style plates if you haven't seen. Along with the brass and aluminum offerings from keebsforall for this buy, Hiney offers fr4 plates for: iso and ansi, split backspace, split right shift, half and full plate, different colors, EVEN ALPS (with the option for wkl style from oem alps boards or aek bottom row). Even more so, a quick google search shows materials like pom, not even mentioning how damn easy it is to get a jane v2 ce plate file so you could get copper, steel, acrylic, polycarbonate, hell even steel (IN  STAINLESS, GALVANIZED, OR STRAIGHT CARBON STEEL). FURTHERMORE, this mounting style allows for top mount and gummy worm o ring mounting! Stop being dense, I don't know if you're just a gmmk shill or whatever, but they were known for kind of f'ing up the group buy and delivering what was a pretty underwhelming board.  Not even trying to knock them, but saying this board isn't very broad in its options is literally the furthest from the truth you can possibly get. Also all that bs you said about hiney is insane. He did not begin the f'ing standard of korean kustom tkl's. I do think he is an integral member of this community  though. Before him, most custom board makers would have to design their own pcbs, which kind of sucked obviously. He just started having relatively frequent restocks (AND GROUP BUYS MIND YOU) for pcb's that were already relatively standardized in many boards, such as the gh60 (H60), but with mounting holes to support the unikorn. And of course, the h87/88 line to support most tkls, including this one. Sorry for all reading. That was just a lot of bs I saw, kind of hate when people that work hard in this hobby are thrown under the bus.

Offline shay350

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 14 December 2021, 15:07:01 »

Um, with all seriousness, you do realize that this board is one of the few that is highly standardized correct? Asides from the gh60 tray mount standard for 60% boards (which their other board used in fact), it uses the most standard pcb in the entire hobby as of now. It is  literally designed around the h88c. I mean I guess you could cry that it isn't a f12, which is a little more "standardized", but the whole point was for it to be an f13, which is actually becoming more popular in terms of standardization in most tkls due to the production of the h88c. Even more than this, the plate used is the most standardized plate style in the hobby next to "floating" plates used in tray mount 60%'s. This is the Jane v2 ce mounting style plates if you haven't seen. Along with the brass and aluminum offerings from keebsforall for this buy, Hiney offers fr4 plates for: iso and ansi, split backspace, split right shift, half and full plate, different colors, EVEN ALPS (with the option for wkl style from oem alps boards or aek bottom row). Even more so, a quick google search shows materials like pom, not even mentioning how damn easy it is to get a jane v2 ce plate file so you could get copper, steel, acrylic, polycarbonate, hell even steel (IN  STAINLESS, GALVANIZED, OR STRAIGHT CARBON STEEL). FURTHERMORE, this mounting style allows for top mount and gummy worm o ring mounting! Stop being dense, I don't know if you're just a gmmk shill or whatever, but they were known for kind of f'ing up the group buy and delivering what was a pretty underwhelming board.  Not even trying to knock them, but saying this board isn't very broad in its options is literally the furthest from the truth you can possibly get. Also all that bs you said about hiney is insane. He did not begin the f'ing standard of korean kustom tkl's. I do think he is an integral member of this community  though. Before him, most custom board makers would have to design their own pcbs, which kind of sucked obviously. He just started having relatively frequent restocks (AND GROUP BUYS MIND YOU) for pcb's that were already relatively standardized in many boards, such as the gh60 (H60), but with mounting holes to support the unikorn. And of course, the h87/88 line to support most tkls, including this one. Sorry for all reading. That was just a lot of bs I saw, kind of hate when people that work hard in this hobby are thrown under the bus.

bro? is everything okay?

Offline jrfhoutx

• Post count is meaningless if the content is trash.
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 14 December 2021, 23:45:47 »

This is some hilarious ****. quality trolling for sure, but a little low effort. Thanks for the laugh, I needed it.