Author Topic: Is the TrulyErgonomic likely to be my only option for awhile?  (Read 2921 times)

Offline myrk

Is the TrulyErgonomic likely to be my only option for awhile?
« on: Mon, 23 January 2012, 16:14:26 »
Background: I took a couple of semesters of typing in highschool, learning on IBM Selectric typewriters. Went to college and typed out my papers on IBM Selectric typwriters. Chose my major in a department whose computer lab consisted of IBM PC ATs with Model M keyboards. Got my first computer and got a Northgate Omnikey to go with it.

Needless to say I like clicky keyboards with lots of tactile feedback. I can type faster and *much* more accurately with that sort of keyboard.

At one of my first jobs we had the early Microsoft Natural keyboards. While they were not that clicky, and didn't have enough tactile feedback for me, they were okay. I got very used to the split of those keyboards though, and now find straight keyboards to be uncomfortable.

Fast forward to today. The last of my early Microsoft Natural keyboards died a couple of years ago. I've been typing on a newer Microsoft Natural keyboard that I really don't like. I've been looking for a replacement for a long time. A coworker a few years ago had a Kinesis that I tried and didn't like (didn't like the wells, didn't like the angle of the keys, didn't like the separation of the keys, no click).

So, it seems that currently my only option without spending a fortune is the TrulyErgonomic, which to me seems like pretty close to a fortune.

I have two questions:

1. It's my impression that there are unlikely to be any other options for the Microsoft-Natural-style keyboards with mechanical switches in the next few years (if ever), and that any that show up someday are likely to be in the same ballpark cost wise. Am I right or do those of you who have followed this for much longer than I think I will have alternatives if I wait a little while?

2. I would like to try the Cherry MX Blues before I drop $250 on a keyboard. Are there any straight keyboards with Blues I could find locally? I have a Best Buy and a Staples nearby, and if I'm willing to make a bit of a drive there is a Fry's I could get to.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 23 January 2012, 16:32:24 »
New keyboards are few and far between. If they are mechanical (Cherry switch) they'll last nearly forever so I recommend you just get what you want and consider the amortized cost.
TECK 209 Blank Keys; Leopold Number Pad; X-Keys Professional; X-Keys 84.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 23 January 2012, 17:06:11 »
for cost, a split mech keyboard is gonna be double the price of your average 105 keyboard, is it worth it? well considering almost EVERYONE here who buys a mech board soon has a collection of 3 or more within a month of their first purchase, it would be bad to get one that is also split/ergo if that's what you're used to.

i can only recommend the kinesis, but i's REALLY out there and there is a learning curve, I can see this is also where the TE fills in, though i cannot recommend it or endorse it (not having one, and not trusting the company) it is an option.

also if you think you like blues, kinesis don't got one, so you're gonna have to mod it, and that would be pretty involved, not only do you have to desolder every switch but you have to "hammer" out each switch from the plate as well (it's semi glued in place), it can be done, i've done it to my kinesis and made the keys ergo/white modded.

while TE does have blue as an option.

look for stores that carry the razer blackwidow, as that's probably the most mainstream mech keyboard (it's cherry blue)

Offline ZeroGraVT

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 23 January 2012, 17:10:45 »
Probably the cheapest mx blue keyboards with decent quality are CMStorm or the Rosewill but you'll have to order them online. If you go to best buy or fry's they might have the razer with blue switches you can try. The Kinesis does have an audible click sounds you can turn on and off. And yeah the TE is probably the only option for now if you want something split like MS natural keyboards. Even if you just bought a regular mechanical keyboard you still might find it more comfortable than anything else out there with rubber domes.

Offline boli

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 24 January 2012, 12:16:11 »
The Kinesis Advantage is an acquired taste, it took me over 2 weeks to be sure I liked it and order a second one. :) From the keyboards I've tried so far it's my favorite, please note that I don't even consider keyboards with non-matrix layout any more.

The Truly Ergonomic keyboard is very nice as well, definitely worth trying out. It's obviously "more normal" than the Kinesis Advantage, which makes it easier to get into (other than the #$% Shift key placement), but ultimately not as good in my opinion. This is very subjective of course, others - like Architect for example - prefer it to the Advantage. My biggest grief with the TE is the missing thumb keys, as I've grown to love them on the Advantage.

As for switches, MX browns are only a little less tactile than the MX blues, the blues are much noisier however. Even though browns have no click, they are not really silent (check out video below). I do keep the piezo click turned on on my Kinesis (maybe your friend had it turned off if you say it had no click), particularly because I switched from browns to reds (no tactile feedback), which do work very well on the Advantage IMO. Some say they don't work as well on other boards, personally I dunno.

WASD Keyboards: Cherry MX Switch Sound Comparison
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout
Typing test profiles: typeracer.com / hi-games.net / keybr.com

Offline myrk

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 24 January 2012, 14:45:14 »
Quote from: Lanx;497093
look for stores that carry the razer blackwidow, as that's probably the most mainstream mech keyboard (it's cherry blue)

Thanks, I'll see if I can find a blackwidow somewhere local.

Quote from: boli;497668
As for switches, MX browns are only a little less tactile than the MX blues, the blues are much noisier however. Even though browns have no click, they are not really silent (check out video below). I do keep the piezo click turned on on my Kinesis (maybe your friend had it turned off if you say it had no click), particularly because I switched from browns to reds (no tactile feedback), which do work very well on the Advantage IMO. Some say they don't work as well on other boards, personally I dunno.

WASD Keyboards: Cherry MX Switch Sound Comparison .

Thanks for the link to the video, it reinforces my interest in blues mostly. Again, having learned on an IBM Selectric typewriter, I love the loud click and as much tactile feedback as I can get.

Offline hoggy

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 24 January 2012, 15:05:45 »
The keys might be a bit too light for you, but the goldtouch is worth a look.  Split, adjustable, cheapish (compared to a mech - it's a rubber dome), and very quiet.  They pop up on ebay for a good price every now and again.  I prefer it to the freestyle - but then my free style is pretty worn.

http://goldtouch.com/c-2-adjustable-keyboards-numeric-keypads.aspx
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0