Author Topic: vimium plug-in for Chrome  (Read 3218 times)

Offline kfmfe04

vimium plug-in for Chrome
« on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 03:09:34 »
Most of my geeky friends use Firefox (they are into mods/plug-ins), but I like Chrome just fine.

Recently, after my foray into mechanical keyboards, I began looking for ways to keep my fingers in home row.  Most of the day, I just between Chrome and ITerm2 (on OSX).  ITerm2, with byobu-tmux  and vim on Linux means I easily go mouse-less when developing.

Looking around for options in Chrome, I came across the free vimium plugin https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/vimium/dbepggeogbaibhgnhhndojpepiihcmeb?hl=en.  Using vim-like bindings, I now can go 90%+ without using the trackpad in Chrome.  For a easy list of options, a ? will bring up the help page.  f will mark all links with one or two letter codes for easy jumps to links.  There are quick-keys for moving forward/backward through history, jumping tabs, etc...

I highly recommend this plug-in for any users of Chrome who want to keep their fingers on home row.
⌨White Blank HHKB P2 ⌨Filco TKL SA MXRed
Interests: ⌨AcidFire's Board ⌨Kinesis Advantage LF

Offline reformist

Re: vimium plug-in for Chrome
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 19 January 2014, 02:26:56 »
I'm the author of Vimium -- I'm glad you like it! Let me know if you have further ideas for the extension or any qualms.

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 19 January 2014, 02:59:05 »
I'm the author of Vimium -- I'm glad you like it! Let me know if you have further ideas for the extension or any qualms.

It's a great plugin thanks

Offline CJNE

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 19 January 2014, 05:36:28 »
Agreed, it's a great plugin. It's there when i need it and stays out of the way when i don't, perfect!
HHKBP2 black and blank - HHKBP2-S white - Filco TKL Majestouch, MX brown - ErgoDox classic MX blue - ErgoDox Czarek case, MX clear and brown

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
vimium plug-in for Chrome
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 19 January 2014, 12:45:44 »

Vimium is how I get around the web every day :). Thanks for your effort!

Possible extension would be some kind of visual mode and a kill ring. Selecting and copying is the primary reason I have to revert to the mouse.

Offline CJNE

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 19 January 2014, 14:01:05 »
Another extension idea: marks
Just like in vim, set a mark with m+[a-z], this would store the tab, page and scroll position. Later you could go back there using '+the letter.
HHKBP2 black and blank - HHKBP2-S white - Filco TKL Majestouch, MX brown - ErgoDox classic MX blue - ErgoDox Czarek case, MX clear and brown

Offline angelic_sedition

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 01:27:41 »
It's a great extension, but I've personally switched mostly over to firefox+pentadactyl and sometimes dwb. If anyone likes the idea of vi-like bindings for browser, I would recommend looking into those as well. There are some cool browsers like vimprobable, jumanji, dwb, luakit, etc. too. I'm looking to be 99% mouse free, so as much as I love vimium, chromium just can't cut it anymore for me.
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 January 2014, 14:28:35 by angelic_sedition »
QWERTY(104wpm) -> CarpalxQ(modded) -> Colemak(118wpm) -> Colemak-DH
Mouse less.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 14:22:55 »
This is pretty sweet. Going to take some time to memorize the bindings

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 12:58:47 »
This is pretty sweet. Going to take some time to memorize the bindings

If you ever forget, just hit '?' and you'll get a popup to remind you :)

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 14:40:28 »

Do you have a Vim key? Because if you don't I'm sending you one ;)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 16:31:23 »

Do you have a Vim key? Because if you don't I'm sending you one ;)

Serious!!! +1

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 16:46:59 »
Vimium is nice considering the limits Google places on Chrome addons, but IMO it's no substitute for Vimperator. No fault of it's own (I'd say it's the best Vim addon for Chrome I've tried), it's just that Firefox lets addons do so much more. Vimium is just like vim shortcuts in the browser, Vimperator feels like Vim made a browser. To the point I would never even consider using Chrome due to the lack of this one addon.

Offline angelic_sedition

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 17:16:04 »
Vimium is nice considering the limits Google places on Chrome addons, but IMO it's no substitute for Vimperator. No fault of it's own (I'd say it's the best Vim addon for Chrome I've tried), it's just that Firefox lets addons do so much more. Vimium is just like vim shortcuts in the browser, Vimperator feels like Vim made a browser. To the point I would never even consider using Chrome due to the lack of this one addon.

Same. Vimperator/pentadactyl is the entire reason I switched to firefox from chromium.
QWERTY(104wpm) -> CarpalxQ(modded) -> Colemak(118wpm) -> Colemak-DH
Mouse less.

Offline kfmfe04

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 23:29:00 »
Vimium works fine for me! 

If you want to talk about other plugins for other browsers, please start another thread or stay in this thread and make suggestions on how vimium can be improved.

If anything, I don't want to waste too much time in ANY browser - should be coding instead... ...just not having to leave the keyboard when switching between a browser and the editor/IDE that is vim is 99% of what I need. 

I am kind of indifferent to browsers, but I don't really switch unless I find one seriously lacking.
⌨White Blank HHKB P2 ⌨Filco TKL SA MXRed
Interests: ⌨AcidFire's Board ⌨Kinesis Advantage LF