Author Topic: interesting BTC rubberdome layout (slightly-split ANSI)  (Read 3194 times)

Offline jacobolus

interesting BTC rubberdome layout (slightly-split ANSI)
« on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 06:18:02 »
I just saw this BTC keyboard on ebay:

Probably some kind of rubber dome, but I quite like the layout as something that’s very easy to adapt to for someone used to a standard IBM/ANSI/QWERTY keyboard, but with some improvements made:
- additional hand separation
- split spacebar with "erase-ease" (use one thumb for space and the other for backspace)
- arrow keys on both hands
- alt and windows keys very easy to reach with the thumbs on both sides (or with middle/ring fingers)

Not perfect, but interesting.

Offline jacobolus

Offline hoggy

Re: interesting BTC rubberdome layout (slightly-split ANSI)
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 06:31:31 »
They used to do a fully split version as well.

The keys don't feel too bad, but only for a rubber dome.  Looking at their ergo boards I get the feeling that BTC were more than capable of pushing the envelope even further, but (probably) the great ergo die off in the early nineties scared them off.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 06:48:51 »
Yeah, I posted about these three years ago. The fully split version (BTC 8120) had fully adjustable feet both in the front and rear (and both inner and outer corner), and discrete rubber domes with nice MX-compatible keycaps. (OTOH, the 8110 was a much cheaper ordinary rubber dome that didn't even have discrete sliders/domes.) I gave it away last year.

« Last Edit: Mon, 29 December 2014, 06:52:34 by davkol »

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 23:06:23 »
I wish more keyboards had better hand separation. I find that to be one of the more helpful features to relieve RSI symptoms.