Author Topic: Model F Bigfoot Club  (Read 17470 times)

Offline JP

Model F Bigfoot Club
« on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 14:15:20 »
Since I did not see this listed as a topic yet I figured I would create a new post. I bought 2 of these and am now looking to restore and modernize them and recently started a build log on imgur: http://imgur.com/a/JBemj 

Feel free to post your IBM Model F 5291 keyboard here.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline kekstee

Re: Model F Bigfoot Club
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 18:19:46 »
Could be worse ;)

Mine, before and after:

(more)

Also, note that you can acutally use a cheap Pro Micro as a Soarer converter:
https://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/how-to-use-a-pro-micro-as-a-cheap-controller-converter-like-soarer-s-t8448-240.html#p347966

Offline JP

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 19:34:57 »
Yeah that definitely was in rough shape. I hope mine looks as nice once I'm done. One of my cases I will keep the original paint while the other needs body work and paint. Also I have sandblasted the metal plates and am hoping to get these powder-coated soon. I also plan to have a couple custom USB cables made up.

I was not aware of that a Pro Micro could be used. I bought a Teensy with pins to test, which of course is more expensive and my not fit as nicely.

Your build log will definitely be useful. What paint did your use on your case? I am guessing that it is an almond colour. Also where did you buy your foam?
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 May 2017, 19:41:56 by JP »

Offline kekstee

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 04:03:47 »
No, I did not repaint the case. It was a low cost restoration, basically.

Citric acid for rust/paint removal on the plates, black anti rust coating from a spray can afterwards.
The foam is a 2mm EPDM sheet. Bought it at a small german webshop that specializes in stuff like that... your best bet might be to just search on ebay. It's how I found mine, too. I've heard Neoprene is fine as well.

For the holes, 10 and 2mm leather working hole punch tools are a huge help.

Offline Crossfire

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 21 May 2017, 07:56:54 »
Great thread, JP!
I'll chime in with my build log/restoration log of an 84' bigfoot.
Link: http://imgur.com/a/4a490
It was a quite an adventure and she has turned out great!

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 21 May 2017, 17:00:59 »
There are people that actually like those?

Now I feel bad that I want to butcher mine

Offline JP

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 21 May 2017, 18:18:51 »

Of course! These have all the benefits of the XT layout but in a larger form factor. I also find them slightly more ergonomic than a regular XT.

Offline Parak

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 21 May 2017, 18:42:21 »

Apparently was fully refurbished by Lexmark in 1995/1996, and never used since.

Offline JP

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 09:07:43 »
Wow that one is mint. I haven't seen one this pristine before.

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 10:21:38 »

Of course! These have all the benefits of the XT layout but in a larger form factor. I also find them slightly more ergonomic than a regular XT.

the XT layout would drive me crazy.  :))

Offline jorgenslee

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 09:07:40 »
These builds are looking good. Nice to know pro micro can be used directly instead of teensy. I plan to rebuild my bigfoot but having a hard time finding a foam replacement and I don't want to order online as I want to limit the expending at minimum. The only thing I can find is a yoga mat. Can that be used? :D

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 24 May 2017, 13:02:54 »
These builds are looking good. Nice to know pro micro can be used directly instead of teensy. I plan to rebuild my bigfoot but having a hard time finding a foam replacement and I don't want to order online as I want to limit the expending at minimum. The only thing I can find is a yoga mat. Can that be used? :D

lol. only if you find a real thin one.

don't you have a store around you which has arts and craft foam?

Offline Crossfire

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 05:02:52 »
In some cases you don't have enough pins on the pro micro. In my build a teensy was required as it had enough digital inputs to wire them with Model F controller.

Here is a Soarers picture:

Offline jorgenslee

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 05:33:03 »
In some cases you don't have enough pins on the pro micro. In my build a teensy was required as it had enough digital inputs to wire them with Model F controller.

Here is a Soarers picture:

Show Image

Thanks. Never occurred to me there are differences among bigfoots. I am currently using a teensy and use the pin config from quantalume's post here: https://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/in-praise-of-bigfoot-t8956.html#p192199

For some reason some of the keys are not working but other keys are registering double characters eg., XS instead of X.

lol. only if you find a real thin one.

don't you have a store around you which has arts and craft foam?

I tried searching for 2 weeks now but I can't find one even on arts and craft store. The yoga mat I found is around 3mm to 5mm I think. The only issue I didn't tried it yet is the surface is not plain and the color(green).

Offline JP

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 06:52:32 »
Thanks for the info Crossfire. This definitely saves me some time. Been too busy lately to get back to this project. I am hoping my teensy with pins will fit in the case.

I was able to buy some 2mm art foam on eBay which averaged out to be about $1 a sheet. I bought a pack of foam called "Darice Foamies." They come in a bundle of 10 sheets and are 2mm thick 12 x 18 inches.

@jorgenslee I am not sure if any of these sellers that carry this foam ship outside the U.S. but you could check. Also I would imagine that 5mm would be a bit thick but can't say for sure depending on the foam. Maybe it might compress down enough and of course the color of foam won't be visible once assembled.

Offline Crossfire

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 06:21:08 »
If you're getting weird characters go and check that grounding screw and nut. It needs to be clean and in good contact with the capacitive pcb.

Screw is located left from the sticker.

Nice 2mm or 3mm neoprene foam will do just fine too.
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 May 2017, 06:23:50 by Crossfire »

Offline JP

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 10:13:13 »
If you're getting weird characters go and check that grounding screw and nut. It needs to be clean and in good contact with the capacitive pcb.

Show Image

Screw is located left from the sticker.

Nice 2mm or 3mm neoprene foam will do just fine too.

How did you mount / attach your Teensy in your case? I would love to see a picture if it's not too much trouble.

Offline Crossfire

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 00:26:32 »
Well, unfortunately I don't have the board anymore. Regrets!
I've squeezed the teensy somewhere in the top right part. Regardles of the fact that it is a very big board, there was not much space left when everything was put back together. It is a tight fit indeed.

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 00:58:36 »
so I'm kind pig curious about the internals are the plates the exact same size as the regular XT? like could i just take my XT and put it inside a big foot case?

Offline JP

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 04:10:56 »
As I last recall they are exactly the same.

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 24 December 2017, 18:23:07 »
As I last recall they are exactly the same.

I really want to try this because I like the way the Big Foot looks but i don't want to drop 100 on just the case lol. I suppose i can use the rest of the flippers as spare parts. Or I can try to convert the Bigfoot keyboard itself but seems like quite a bit of work

Offline anode

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 03:35:47 »
Joining the club  ;D

Anyone happen to have a set of "normal" keycaps spare? The XT layout is already weird enough and the terminal keycaps aren't helping.
Alps good

Offline chromapuss

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 16 December 2019, 22:19:31 »
anyone can help me with my model f bigfoot conversion using a teensy? I programmed the teensy with the 32u4 from soarers 1.2 beta4 folder after connecting all the connectors to the teensy, then i went to hid_listen and it recogizes a keyboard has been plugged in but is not responding to when I type on the keyboard. Please advice :)

Attached below is my connections as well as what is displayed on my hid_listen

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 29 December 2019, 21:28:47 »
I've joined the club too! I got one that is NOS, it's one of my pride and joys, I don't think it'll supplant my F122, but I do use it frequently all the same.

If there is interest, I'll also post pictures I got of it's instruction manual that came in the box, it was pretty neat.

232518-0

232520-1
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 December 2019, 21:36:49 by jacethesaltsculptor »

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline sharktastica

• CompSci research student, IBMer, r/ModelM mod
    • Admiral Shark's Keyboards
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 10:52:09 »
Perhaps my favourite club! I've completely fallen in love with the Bigfoot typing experience, and now I enjoy it in my office too!
234439-0
234443-1

Offline amperrsand

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 12:07:09 »
Perhaps my favourite club! I've completely fallen in love with the Bigfoot typing experience, and now I enjoy it in my office too!
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

That's pretty slick, but you can't just post a picture of that desk chair without any info man

Offline sharktastica

• CompSci research student, IBMer, r/ModelM mod
    • Admiral Shark's Keyboards
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 12:24:48 »
That's pretty slick, but you can't just post a picture of that desk chair without any info man
Ah yes, the chair. The office space I was given originally came with that ancient monstrosity you can see in the background, but since I value having feeling in my behinds, I grabbed that interesting chair from a spare room we have.

It's actually super comfortable, and the shape of the back-rest is perfect for sitting on the chair backwards and using it as an armrest.
234447-0

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 21:34:01 »
That is possibly the weirdest Office chair I've ever seen.

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline amperrsand

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 22:22:13 »
I'd love the chair. Not to try and take away from the Model F, it just really caught my eye as one of those things that looks uncomfortable-but-is-comfortable