Author Topic: [IC] Glow SA, Glow-in-the-Dark profiled SA, PRICES ADDED 2019-02-17  (Read 146960 times)

Offline emenelopee

• *klomp klomp klomp* I step on your house 🦖
Re: [IC] Glow SA, Glow-in-the-Dark profiled SA
« Reply #150 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 17:19:13 »
Still don't have the GNARLY! backspace :'(

Ask and ye shall receive:

There is perhaps a 7% chance this will ever be made. I put it to the committee.

EDIT: oh you said backspace. Imagine this a little smaller.
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 March 2018, 17:22:45 by emenelopee »

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #151 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 17:23:42 »
Still don't have the GNARLY! backspace :'(

Ask and ye shall receive:

Show Image

There is perhaps a 7% chance this will ever be made. I put it to the committee.
GNARLY! Spacebar is awesome too  :))
***loads of Vaseline for my meme TMO50 -- Acereconkeys

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #152 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 11:56:35 »
Designs I'm digging:
 - square led
 - lone filament
 - "glow" text
 - light array
 - glow array
 - each of the phosphorous ones

Each of these feels really nice and I feel they match the theme best of things that give off light.

We're pretty much in total agreement on this - these are generally my favourites and best represent the theme. The more kooky/left field ones are there to please the masses  :p

On this note, I feel the novelty discussion is settling into a decent array which I will consolidate over the coming days/this weekend. For this I have two questions:

- How do I import custom icons into KLE and KLE-render? Is this possible?
- I've noticed much of the kit renders around look like they're using similar render platforms (see the TM set here as an example). What do they use? I've downloaded Blender and the keycap plugin (I'm spacing on the name right now, and can't find it in the forum), but TBH I'm not too keen on learning another modelling programme (I already use AutoCAD and Rhino and a few FEA programs, I don't have space or time for another and Blender seems like a bit of a pain from the twenty minutes I've given it).

tldr: Essentially I need the quickest/easiest way to put together the novelties shortlist to serve as the basis of a poll, but not to the extent of a full GB professional level render. At my disposal I have AutoCAD (2D) and Rhino/Flamingo (3D), neither of which is currently set up for keycap renders without doing everything from scratch.

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #153 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 07:55:45 »
ETA on when this will drop?

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #154 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 11:17:55 »
ETA is TBD - I need to get back in touch with SP RE: their progress with the new moulds. Also I need to finalise the novelties when I get a moment. I estimate maybe a week or two?

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #155 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 12:35:08 »
UPDATE: SP has confirmed a slight delay on their moulding:

"... and it doesn’t look like we are going to be ready to start molding keys until the end of April. We would like to run some production before we jump into full sets. We also need to build the sublimation tooling after the keys have been molded. As of yet, I don’t have a datasheet.

I'll still be fiddling a little around the edges when I get a spare moment, but there will be a bit of a lull in the momentum in the meantime.

Talk amongst yourselves, maybe read a book, or work on your poetry.

EDIT: New family data sheet, and therefore pricing, coming at the end of April.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 March 2018, 16:30:55 by emenelopee »

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #156 on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 22:32:41 »
Found on Reddit, an exit sign cap. What is the hive's collectthought on this precedent example?

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #157 on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 23:21:37 »
Found on Reddit, an exit sign cap. What is the hive's collectthought on this precedent example?

Show Image

Offline Krastoff

« Reply #158 on: Sat, 31 March 2018, 09:13:37 »

Show Image

If it's a choice between the "running man" and the "EXIT" version, I still prefer the text. In your example shown, I'm not digging it, probably because of the colours. It may work better in a set with a theme (like Glow). If they're both going to be used (e.g. running man on backspace/caps, text on enter), your "b. fire exit, type 2" is my preference out of your two "running man" designs, though I wonder if the "emergency signage" theme may become too strong.

Anyway, just throwing things out here: I came across Keith Haring's art the other day and thought they would make nice glow-in-the-dark decorations. Once again, sadly, licensing issues  :-X

Also, Uranium atomic number and mass:

Offline long_qt_pie

« Reply #159 on: Sat, 31 March 2018, 18:37:32 »
I love the Uranium key
Jetfire | Mech 27 v1 | Mira SE | Singa | Orion 2.5 | Eo87 | Lubrigante | MGA | IBM F XT | AEKII | Lightpad | Exent | Dolphin Rev 2 | F1-8x | Mr Suit

Offline Al41

« Reply #160 on: Sat, 31 March 2018, 19:38:10 »
I like the Uranium key as well. Maybe make the "U" key similar to the "C" key on SA Carbon. Even though this set isn't not called SA Uranium I think it still works.

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #161 on: Sun, 01 April 2018, 01:50:16 »
I like the ideas coming in!

- I'm not a fan of Keith Haring, he's closely behind Jeff Koons in the disposable commodity art that is the never ending hangover from the 80s /amateurartcritique
- I have a phosphorus mod, more related to the GID than Uranium, but it was skirting a little too close to the Carbon concept. If there's some good feedback coming from this I may consider it;

On the latter note, and during this time of minimal updates as we wait for SP, I thought i'd take a few shots of my Carbon oranges that have just come through, with the GID thrown into the mix. The oranges actually look great under UV light (see one of the pics below) but this black light effect doesn't get picked up by my amateur camera and skills. Usual caveats of potato equipment and abilities said, here are some UV and low light shots!

UV light - the oranges are bright, the GID much brighter

UV turned off

Low light

And here is the GID case and caps in probably the fuzziest low light shot ever. Phone camera doesn't like focusing in the dark

No images are edited in any way. Lumia 950 phone camera.

Thanks for keeping the interest going y'all, a heftier update coming soon with what should be the 95% sets, as soon as I figure out how to put custom images into KLE and KLE-render. Watch this space!

Offline pomk

« Reply #162 on: Sun, 01 April 2018, 05:21:43 »
Could you consider making the 1U emergency exit novelty like the original ”running man” from 1979? https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:PublicInformationSymbol_EmergencyExit.svg#mw-jump-to-license

No flames or other (American?) additions, never seen those anywhere.

edit:
If you want to have some fire in the novelties, maybe consider something like this:
https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Extincteur2.svg#mw-jump-to-license
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 April 2018, 05:28:58 by pomk »

Offline online

« Reply #163 on: Sun, 01 April 2018, 19:02:36 »
love this set. I'm in

Offline Nigolski

« Reply #164 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 05:25:45 »
my wallet is ready

Offline online

« Reply #165 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 13:45:00 »
I'm thinking 'glow' keys can be like this?

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #166 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 15:53:42 »

I like stencil effect when actually from a stencil, but fakey is not doing it for me.

I'm pretty much settled on lower case with wide kerning [g  l  o  w], if only I could get KLE-Render to behave and not put everything SA in ALLCAPS for the demo pics...

Keep the ideas coming, novelties options are still wide open! I have a couple favourites, otherwise it's all for the community:

I'm getting a little impatient for the updated SA Family from SP, then we can start talking real details! Tick tock tick tock.

Offline online

« Reply #167 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 16:07:41 »

I like stencil effect when actually from a stencil, but fakey is not doing it for me.

I'm pretty much settled on lower case with wide kerning [g  l  o  w], if only I could get KLE-Render to behave and not put everything SA in ALLCAPS for the demo pics...

Keep the ideas coming, novelties options are still wide open! I have a couple favourites, otherwise it's all for the community:

Show Image

I'm getting a little impatient for the updated SA Family from SP, then we can start talking real details! Tick tock tick tock.

That's fine. I was trying to make it looks like neon rather than stencil, I thought neon font/graphic elements would fits the 'glow' theme very well.

« Last Edit: Tue, 03 April 2018, 16:20:24 by online »

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #168 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 16:20:12 »
I see where you're coming from - this would work best with light text on dark rather than the inverse here which is dark on light, but this is a decent idea for a future set, if only for the martini.

Offline online

« Reply #169 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 16:23:31 »
I see where you're coming from - this would work best with light text on dark rather than the inverse here which is dark on light, but this is a decent idea for a future set, if only for the martini.
What we need is PBT double shot :cool:

Anyway, I really wanna see this set happen. PBT sculpted SA + GLOWING?!

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #170 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 16:28:15 »
QUICK POLL: arrows on alphas: WASD or ESDF or neither?

I use ESDF but given there is no "standard" other than WASD or HJKL (neither of which make sense to me, esp. the latter (note this is not a forum to discuss VIM!)), it'll likely be neither, but I thought I'd get a statistically insignificant sample going anyway.

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #171 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 16:34:32 »
What we need is PBT double shot :cool:

Anyway, I really wanna see this set happen. PBT sculpted SA + GLOWING?!

PBT dye-sub is where this is at. SP have already confirmed GID doubleshooting is a no-go, the GID is too translucent for the keycap body. This set is already going to be a new process once SP get going so I'm being careful not to overreach.

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #172 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 16:57:12 »
Neither, but if I had to choose, WASD.

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #173 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 17:13:28 »
Ten points to Parva for using the footer banner - many thanks!

"Neither" is winning by default with a tying 1:0:1 split.

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #174 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 19:09:40 »

1+for VIM CAPS

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #175 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 19:25:09 »

1+for VIM CAPS

Not an option, compadre: the options are ESDF:WASD:neither. And if you're already using VIM you should know where your crazy nonsensical arrows are.

Plus the arrow cluster is all R3 (with the extension kit) so you can use those.

In any case, speciality arrows on alphas makes sense with colour pops for some visual flair, but this is essentially a monochromatic set.

EXECUTIVE DECISION: no arrows on alphas, apologies for the little side quest. As you were.

Offline jimirolln

« Reply #176 on: Sat, 07 April 2018, 09:09:17 »
i love this set...its like a night rave on x...can't wait

« Last Edit: Sat, 07 April 2018, 09:35:35 by jimirolln »

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #177 on: Sat, 07 April 2018, 18:20:54 »

Go eat mushrooms

Offline KeLorean

« Reply #178 on: Sat, 07 April 2018, 19:50:54 »
imo these will look pretty damn cool glowing AND in a lit room, particularly when combined with other set mods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Click it OR Ticket!

Offline jimirolln

« Reply #179 on: Sat, 07 April 2018, 21:11:59 »

Go eat mushrooms

let it go boy georgio...let it go

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #180 on: Sat, 07 April 2018, 23:17:11 »

Go eat mushrooms

let it go boy georgio...let it go

Go have real fun with your glass things

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #181 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 00:32:25 »
Stop it gents, not in this thread. Thx.

imo these will look pretty damn cool glowing AND in a lit room, particularly when combined with other set mods.

Good call, thanks for pointing out: daytime view of the caps is something I have neglected to draw attention to. The GID material is a nice off-white kinda bone, kinda cream colour during the day. Here's a shot on my combination Carbon orange + Ninja on PCB prototype. It's a pretty versatile daytime shade.

Offline jimirolln

« Reply #182 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 08:55:43 »
looks really good on carbon...but populating a board seams like a tuff sell...those nov's are 5 bucks a piece no?

https://pimpmykeyboard.com/sa-poison-key/

n e ways...they seam to make nice accent pieces tho...and for sure their are some willing to do a glow build...could work...dig the idea

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
  • I have ideas. Sometimes they're even good ideas.
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #183 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 12:37:31 »
Sure they're $5 because it's a single key in stock with PMK markup. A full keyset is going to be way cheaper, closer to $1 per key. Looking at the dyesub sets on PMK, they're about $1.10 per cap on average, so a GB set instead of a stocked one would be even cheaper.

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #184 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 22:36:23 »
While we wait for SP to finalize their tooling and send out new spec sheets and get ready for price quoting, a minor update and housecleaning. Expecting more logistic information toward the end of April, in the meantime novelty progress and tidied up presentation. These are all the current ideas, not all will be used. Vote for your favourite and as always feel free to suggest anything you want to add.

I'll give it one more week of suggestions and my own messing around, after which I'll set up a google form for voting which will whittle down the growing catalogue to the best few.

« Last Edit: Sun, 08 April 2018, 22:38:41 by emenelopee »

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #185 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 00:38:30 »
Real quick post but I think that, for the 1u, 9 is better than 10, 15 is better than 16, and 22/23 are better than 24/25. I like both the LEDs a lot. Don't care about the lambda. Would like more 1.25u. Filament looks squished from side to side.

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #186 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 01:21:47 »
I wasn't sure about the 1.25u novelties. Most sets I see keep their novelties in the 1u so I didn't give these much thought. The [g l o w] and one of the filaments (or other shortlists I have in mind) would set the set's tone/flavour, potentially in the main set, the rest is whatever the community wants to see.

Do people want more from the 1.25u options? Does anyone care much for alternate returns and deletes or can these be nixxed?

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
« Reply #187 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 09:18:47 »
My thoughts on this will fall to Carbon SA, which I still consider to be one of the best sets, in terms of execution.

Carbon picked a couple core symbols and used it as a universal stand-in for different sizes of keys. Of course there's the Warning Signs novelty set which is more akin to the large variety we want to whittle down. My thought is to seek a symbol or two that looks good on enters, backspaces, modifier keys, etc. A shape or simple symbol that represents [g l o w].

If you really like the lightbulb, for wider keys perhaps a centered lightbulb with some radial lines emanating from it? Food for thought.

Oh, also, you should update your footer banner with the lower case text.  :thumb:

Offline Walkerstop

« Reply #188 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 14:40:26 »
Any chance of adding a 4u spacebar?

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #189 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 15:02:23 »
My thoughts on this will fall to Carbon SA, which I still consider to be one of the best sets, in terms of execution.
Show Image

Carbon picked a couple core symbols and used it as a universal stand-in for different sizes of keys. Of course there's the Warning Signs novelty set which is more akin to the large variety we want to whittle down. My thought is to seek a symbol or two that looks good on enters, backspaces, modifier keys, etc. A shape or simple symbol that represents [g l o w].

If you really like the lightbulb, for wider keys perhaps a centered lightbulb with some radial lines emanating from it? Food for thought.

Oh, also, you should update your footer banner with the lower case text.  :thumb:

Exactly what I was trying to get at - once an identity glyph is settled on, the main sizes (just the R4 OS and maybe an [esc] with the [*IDENTITY*]) may go into the main set; the wider catalogue will be a whittled down to essentially a "warning signs" set. I'm trying to balance the number of kits vs. too many novelties in the base. Two sets of novelties is in Carbon levels of orders so needs to be broken down a little.

RE: footer: that's been on my shortlist for a while, I was going to get that done for the GB roll-out but as you've raised it, I'll do it tonight: I need to better balance the colours anyway, the current banner feels a little washed out.

Any chance of adding a 4u spacebar?

I haven't had any previous requests for a 4u space. Is there much demand for this? At this stage, probably not unless there is a groundswell in demand.

Real quick post but I think that, for the 1u, 9 is better than 10, 15 is better than 16, and 22/23 are better than 24/25. I like both the LEDs a lot. Don't care about the lambda. Would like more 1.25u. Filament looks squished from side to side.

What do you mean re: squished? Are you referring to the 1.25u with the filament?

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
  • I have ideas. Sometimes they're even good ideas.
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #190 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 16:46:16 »
Digging, 13, 14, 17, 18 for the 1u, and liking all the 1.25u. I think something to keep in mind is that we don't really have to be restricted on novelties. Carbon only had a few because it was doubleshot, and every new mold has a fee. With dye sub, you don't have to deal with molds. So really, if you wanted to make a super ambitions novelty kit, it would be much more viable here than in any doubleshot set.

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #191 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 18:14:29 »
There is more capacity and leeway, but it's still not a freebie, and I'd like to stay constrained to not make this a novelty-centric set.

Just to give y'all an insight into my thinking:

- Main set will include [glow] + [*identity*] (I'm still digging the filament as the graphical identity) as standard in place of OS and menu;
- Novelty set: tightly curated glow concept-centric, similar to the Carbon novelties, some or all of the LEDs, arrays, lightbulb, phosphorus references, etc., in 1u, 1.25u, 1.5u, 2.25u etc. covered;
- F-row novelties: a menagerie of the rest that are extraneous to the glow concept but neat nonetheless, limited to R1 1u, so I guess the top 13 of the remaining (a la warning signs).

Not much love for the geometric objects, which I agree with: they were nice ideas but haven't translated too well into the schematics.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 April 2018, 18:29:21 by emenelopee »

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #192 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 18:17:15 »
ASIDE: I had mocked-up a thought of just all-numbers of the F-rows (ie 1-12 without the F) - I thought it might look neater (debatable) but also let you switch out the number rows to take out the symbols (!@#$%) making them single character, esp. for the 40% and 60%.

I'm probably still on the side of Fxx for the classic look, but I'll put it to the committee.

EDIT: of course it would need and R1
  • or a novelty would fit.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 April 2018, 18:28:47 by emenelopee »

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #193 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 23:47:53 »
Woop woop new improved banner!

Lower case rebrand, more green saturation, bigger glow:

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=94287.0][img width=390 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/dILX8xk.png[/img][/url]

And for a forced-dimension slightly smaller version:

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=94287.0][img width=335 height=100]https://i.imgur.com/dILX8xk.png[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 April 2018, 11:07:02 by emenelopee »

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #194 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 00:09:29 »
-
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 April 2018, 01:31:52 by emenelopee »

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
« Reply #195 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 08:49:47 »
I don't care for the F-row without F's in them. Would rather keep that traditional.

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #196 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 09:13:23 »
I don't care for the F-row without F's in them. Would rather keep that traditional.
Agreed

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #197 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 09:16:27 »
Looks like the jury's in: traditional F it is. Thought I'd try out something new, no dice, back on track.

Offline jimirolln

« Reply #198 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 11:00:47 »
i genuinely dig the new banner...but if bane is not gonna be a nov key im out

Offline Krastoff

« Reply #199 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 09:59:14 »
Well, we could also place the word "glow" inside the light bulb / written in the filament. The very first picture when I googled "light filament words":

i genuinely dig the new banner...but if bane is not gonna be a nov key im out