Author Topic: [GB] GMK Phosphorous — vendors/proxies should start shipping soon!  (Read 118296 times)

Offline poodude

Re: [GB] GMK Phosphorous — over 50% MOQ reached!
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 20 October 2019, 20:04:37 »
Just out of curiosity, do the key company and other mirrors typically purchase X amount of sets for extras? I would guess it be more of a percentage where more popular sets would have more extras to supply more demand for people that missed it.

Offline Mekberg

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 21 October 2019, 01:29:45 »
...Aaand I'm in. GMK could really start lowering their prices a little with all the action they're getting these days, but I bit the apple and placed the order. Scratch off another NorDeUk kit as well. Come on, guys. I don't want to be left without ÅÄÖ on my board! Let's do this :)

I haven’t been advertising this, but the kits really are good value. Child kits are basically sold at cost, and base has barely any profit. It might not be enough for me to even cover render costs.

That's incredibly noble and nice, and as respectable as that is, doesn't change the fact that GMK charges as much as they do for it. I'm sure it's a lot of work for them too, but it can't be _that_ complicated at this point, or use that _that_ many resources.

Maybe I'm just being naïve or ignorant... or maybe my soul just hasn't gotten used to spending this much money on bits of plastic yet :)

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 21 October 2019, 01:30:47 »
Are the MOQ and sales numbers shown for all sellers combined or just the key company? I put my order in on the first day and definitely want to see this set made....

All vendors are included. It will be made. Don’t worry!

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 21 October 2019, 01:58:45 »
Just out of curiosity, do the key company and other mirrors typically purchase X amount of sets for extras? I would guess it be more of a percentage where more popular sets would have more extras to supply more demand for people that missed it.

Yes.

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 21 October 2019, 02:00:11 »
...Aaand I'm in. GMK could really start lowering their prices a little with all the action they're getting these days, but I bit the apple and placed the order. Scratch off another NorDeUk kit as well. Come on, guys. I don't want to be left without ÅÄÖ on my board! Let's do this :)

I haven’t been advertising this, but the kits really are good value. Child kits are basically sold at cost, and base has barely any profit. It might not be enough for me to even cover render costs.

That's incredibly noble and nice, and as respectable as that is, doesn't change the fact that GMK charges as much as they do for it. I'm sure it's a lot of work for them too, but it can't be _that_ complicated at this point, or use that _that_ many resources.

Maybe I'm just being naïve or ignorant... or maybe my soul just hasn't gotten used to spending this much money on bits of plastic yet :)

There’s actually a great reply from GMK Andy on Geekhack explaining why the labor put into their kits is more than we imagine. It changed my perspective.

Offline suparnemo

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 21 October 2019, 09:39:11 »
Does the set have a 7U spacebar?

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 21 October 2019, 09:47:22 »
Does the set have a 7U spacebar?

Yes of course, in the base kit. The accented 7U is in the Spacebar kit.

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 21 October 2019, 10:11:46 »
gimme phosphorus

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 21 October 2019, 10:12:47 »

Offline Mekberg

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 21 October 2019, 12:25:33 »

There’s actually a great reply from GMK Andy on Geekhack explaining why the labor put into their kits is more than we imagine. It changed my perspective.

have a link, I'd love to read it?

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 21 October 2019, 12:39:26 »

Found it. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=102466.0

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 21 October 2019, 12:57:16 »

I was just looking for Andy's message, too.  It's specifically this one, I think: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=102466.msg2812365#msg2812365

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #62 on: Mon, 21 October 2019, 16:09:41 »

More
<-- history to date

Edit: Clarified end dates.
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 October 2019, 11:10:26 by dvorcol »

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 21 October 2019, 18:03:36 »
Dear Geekhackers,

We are the point where the base kit should hit MOQ without major issues. However, the child kits need some ❤️ especially by those who really wanted them during the IC phase.

Let’s do this! Let no kit be left behind!

Offline Mekberg

« Reply #64 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 01:05:00 »

That whole thread was very interesting, and I admit, I vastly overestimated the scale of their operations, it seems. I thought their production was part of an industry that was still going strong, but perhaps it should be compared more with vinyl record plants, in that they work a lot with small batches and towards either extremely specific industries or the hobbyist group.

One thing that was weird though is their MOQ. If they work that slowly and at that small scale anyway, why is the MOQ so high? I get that they _want_ it to be high, because it benefits their business, but surely more kits being made _at all_ sounds like a better deal than having a steep limit where kits don't get made at all?

Also, as someone asked in that thread, I hope they do a video tour of their factory, would be extremely interesting to see.

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 10:05:39 »

That whole thread was very interesting, and I admit, I vastly overestimated the scale of their operations, it seems. I thought their production was part of an industry that was still going strong, but perhaps it should be compared more with vinyl record plants, in that they work a lot with small batches and towards either extremely specific industries or the hobbyist group.

One thing that was weird though is their MOQ. If they work that slowly and at that small scale anyway, why is the MOQ so high? I get that they _want_ it to be high, because it benefits their business, but surely more kits being made _at all_ sounds like a better deal than having a steep limit where kits don't get made at all?

Also, as someone asked in that thread, I hope they do a video tour of their factory, would be extremely interesting to see.

The reason for the MOQ is cost.  The setup cost is fixed, whether they make 10 sets or 250.  So dividing setup cost by 250 kits is way less per kit than dividing it among 10.

Setup involves installing and tuning the tools for each keycap, mixing the resin colors, purging the tools and equipment of previous color resin, etc.  Once a setup is up and running, making more keycaps is only a fraction of the cost.  Of course, each keycap requires time, material, inspection, sorting, and packing, so keycaps are not free.

This is why price drops get smaller and further apart as kit quantity increases.

Edit: Adding a graph.  Why didn't I do this before, right?

Variable cost remains constant for each kit, so it increases linearly for the full production order as the number of kits in that order increases.

Fixed cost remains constant for the full production order, so it drops per kit as the number of kits in the production order increase.
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 October 2019, 20:09:33 by dvorcol »

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

Dvorcol, what you just wrote should be stickied somewhere

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 10:11:18 »

If you read the GMK Shoko thread, IIRC it's something to do with the MOQ on the amount of pigment/dye they have to buy from another company. For stock colors, they already have the materials on hand, but custom colors have to be a separate order and it doesn't sound like they can obtain the material at lower quantities. That's just my superficial understanding though. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
Dvorcol, what you just wrote should be stickied somewhere

Any thoughts as to where?  I also have a summary of Colevrak+ kit support I'd like to pin somewhere.

No clue. Maybe somewhere on reddit and one could just link it every time someone wants SA kit design on a GMK set. It totally makes sense to want it, it just doesn't work that well.

I think it should be paired with Oblotsky's estimates when he tried to run GMK Oblivion R2 with monochrome, Git, and regular mods, along with regular/hagoromo/cadet/hagoromo cadet alphas so people could mix and match, although Umbra kit design 1 would probably work too.

Offline dom

• XOXO
Just wondering, forgive my ignorance

Why most of the key sets we see in "IC" are not suited for backlight?
Is this "preference" or simply impossible/astronomically expensive to make a "backlight ready" keyset?

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
In response to the reply at GMK's high MOQs, I goofed on my reply. I buried it in the quotes so here it is again.

If you read the GMK Shoko thread, IIRC it's something to do with the MOQ on the amount of pigment/dye they have to buy from another company. For stock colors, they already have the materials on hand, but custom colors have to be a separate order and it doesn't sound like they can obtain the material at lower quantities. That's just my superficial understanding though. Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
Just wondering, forgive my ignorance

Why most of the key sets we see in "IC" are not suited for backlight?
Is this "preference" or simply impossible/astronomically expensive to make a "backlight ready" keyset?

Not impossible. Actually keycaps that allow in light are usually quite cheap. The difference is that the legends would have to be see-through. That means we'd only have non-legend color unique and the legends would be a transparent plastic with the color representing whatever color LED you are using - unless you are using per-key individual addressable RGB LEDs.

Offline dom

• XOXO
Not impossible. Actually keycaps that allow in light are usually quite cheap. The difference is that the legends would have to be see-through. That means we'd only have non-legend color unique and the legends would be a transparent plastic with the color representing whatever color LED you are using - unless you are using per-key individual addressable RGB LEDs.

Thanks for the explanation, make sense!  :)

Offline andtar2

I'm in! Purchased few days ago, base + space + numpad and of course NorDeUK kit. Still hopping for the best!

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
I'm in! Purchased few days ago, base + space + numpad and of course NorDeUK kit. Still hopping for the best!

:thumb: :thumb:

We’re getting there!

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
OK so getting final tallies up for this week but we’re at:

Base: 215
Numpad: 61
Spacebars: 93
40s: 41
NorDEUK: 18

These are not final numbers for today — still waiting for confirmation from some vendors (wait for me to give you official ones dvorcol please!).

We’re really close to hitting MOQ and the only “endangered” sets are 40s and NorDEUK. There’s still a few days left, so let’s do this! 💪🏻🤘🏻

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
Official for today.

Nucleus (Core): 218/250
Strong Force (Spacebars): 95/100
Protons (NumPad): 63/100
Quarks (40s/ortho): 42/100
Neutrons (NorDEUK): 23/100
Desk mat: 35/20
RAMA artisan: 91/50

We have surpassed 87% of the required MOQ and on our way to the finish line. There’s about a week left so make sure to get your order in before the group buy ends.

We’re currently fighting to get ALL KITS made, including NorDEUK, but we need your help, to get as close to MOQ as possible (or surpass it, ideally), so if you’re still on the fence, go get your order in as soon as possible. Thank you! ❤️
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 October 2019, 08:30:52 by Moridin »

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
Official for today. 
More

Nucleus (Core): 218/250
Strong Force (Spacebars): 95/100
Protons (NumPad): 63/100
Quarks (40s/ortho): 42/100
Neutrons (NorDEUK): 23/100
Desk mat: 35/20
RAMA artisan: 91/50

We have surpassed 87% of the required MOQ and on our way to the finish line. There’s about a week left so make sure to get your order in before the group buy ends.

We’re currently fighting to get ALL KITS made, including NorDEUK, but we need your help, to get as close to MOQ as possible (or surpass it, ideally), so if you’re still on the fence, go get your order in as soon as possible. Thank you! ❤️

More
<-- history to date
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 October 2019, 08:27:47 by dvorcol »

Offline thornkin

What are the sizes of the small spacebars in the spacebar kit?

Laser ALT sporting red Sky Pandas

top to bottom:
6u, 6u, 6.25, 7, 2u 2.25u 2.75u from left to right, i think a 1.25, a b for alice kits
(I use the 2.25 and 2.75us for split boards and sometimes trade other bars)

Offline thornkin

Thanks.  Was looking to cover a split with it.

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries

228941-0

Offline Mekberg

So... what's the estimate on Neutrons at this point? Is there any hope at all? Is there any "soft limit" at which point someone/vendors will consider buying up the rest to meet MOQ?

I really, really wanted this, but I also really want my correct legends... and Dracula has all kits ready to go to production, so...

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
So... what's the estimate on Neutrons at this point? Is there any hope at all? Is there any "soft limit" at which point someone/vendors will consider buying up the rest to meet MOQ?

I really, really wanted this, but I also really want my correct legends... and Dracula has all kits ready to go to production, so...

The closer we get the better. 99% chance all kits will be made. Fighting for it as hard as we can.

Also: The more NorDEUK you get, the easier it will be to make this happen. Not “make it possible”, but “make it easier”. 💪🏻

Numbers for yesterday:

Base 237/250
Space 106/100
Numpad 69/100
Forty 50/100
NorDEUK 23/100
Deskmat 43/20
Rama Cap 104/50

Offline Mekberg

Of course, but I'm sorry, I can't really get more kits just to get them. I'm out way more than I want to be just buying this set at all. I don't think it's reasonable to expect people to buy multiple kits just to hope they get made, not at the prices they're at.

As it stands, I've bought one of almost all kits, and that is already a lot of money. I can't do much more than just hope more people get on board buying themselves a set each.

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
Of course, but I'm sorry, I can't really get more kits just to get them. I'm out way more than I want to be just buying this set at all. I don't think it's reasonable to expect people to buy multiple kits just to hope they get made, not at the prices they're at.

As it stands, I've bought one of almost all kits, and that is already a lot of money. I can't do much more than just hope more people get on board buying themselves a set each.

No, no. I didn’t mean you. I meant all the people that are on the fence about ordering. Just do it! (TM) 😅

Offline Mekberg

No, no. I didn’t mean you. I meant all the people that are on the fence about ordering. Just do it! (TM) 😅

Ah, my bad! I misunderstood. That's a whole lot more reasonable ;)

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
More

The closer we get the better. 99% chance all kits will be made. Fighting for it as hard as we can.

Also: The more NorDEUK you get, the easier it will be to make this happen. Not “make it possible”, but “make it easier”.

Numbers for yesterday:

Base 237/250
Space 106/100
Numpad 69/100
Forty 50/100
NorDEUK 23/100
Deskmat 43/20
Rama Cap 104/50

More
<-- history to date
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 November 2019, 01:00:31 by dvorcol »

Offline KeyCap75

ordered...1 nucleus, 1 neutrons and 1 strong force! so excited!  ;D :thumb:

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
ordered...1 nucleus, 1 neutrons and 1 strong force! so excited!  ;D :thumb:

Thanks! 🙏🏻

Status update:

MOQ on base has been met and surpassed from first unofficial counts from vendors. Having said that...

2 days left to join! Feel free to pump up those child kits. All kits should be made.

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
Re: [GB] GMK Phosphorous — MOQ achieved! 2 DAYS LEFT TO JOIN! ❤️
« Reply #91 on: Thu, 31 October 2019, 03:58:50 »

-   Nucleus (Core): 278/250
-   Strong Force (Spacebars): 115/100
-   Protons (NumPad): 74/100
-   Quarks (40s/ortho): 53/100
-   Neutrons (NorDEUK): 23/100
-   Desk mat: 46/20
-   RAMA artisan: 111/50

(Data from 2 of 4 vendors for 30/10 and the rest for 28/10)

Offline MdotMaxson

« Reply #92 on: Thu, 31 October 2019, 05:47:21 »
Can phosphorus cover a boardwalk? As in does it have 2 1.5us for R1-4?

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #93 on: Thu, 31 October 2019, 08:22:41 »
More

-   Nucleus (Core): 278/250
-   Strong Force (Spacebars): 115/100
-   Protons (NumPad): 74/100
-   Quarks (40s/ortho): 53/100
-   Neutrons (NorDEUK): 23/100
-   Desk mat: 46/20
-   RAMA artisan: 111/50

(Data from 2 of 4 vendors for 30/10 and the rest for 28/10)

More
<-- history to date
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 November 2019, 00:59:47 by dvorcol »

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
Hello everyone!

I would like to thank you all for all the support and help — this couldn't have happened without you!

We're currently at 300 (or slightly over) base kits sold (MOQ reached!) and all child kits will be made, even if they haven't hit MOQ.

We're in the last 24 hours or so, so don't be late in getting your order in! Child (kit) support very very welcome!

❤️

Offline TimNL

Great news! And thank you Moridin for making this GB possible and your enthusiasm in doing so :thumb:

Offline geewiz

We're currently at 300 (or slightly over) base kits sold (MOQ reached!) and all child kits will be made, even if they haven't hit MOQ.

Congratulations, you're doing such a great job with this GB and deserve this success!

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries

Congratulations, you're doing such a great job with this GB and deserve this success!

Great news! And thank you Moridin for making this GB possible and your enthusiasm in doing so :thumb:

Thank you for your kind words! 🥰

Offline PotatoTM

Ended up getting in on it after all :P GL with the rest of the GB

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
Ended up getting in on it after all :P GL with the rest of the GB

:thumb:

Numbers (updated but not yet final)

-   Nucleus (Core): ~319/250
-   Strong Force (Spacebars): ~122/100
-   Protons (NumPad): ~82/100
-   Quarks (40s/ortho): ~55/100