Author Topic: VE.A Discussion Thread  (Read 62790 times)

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
Re: VE.A Discussion Thread
« Reply #200 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 11:52:21 »
I love how the layout is designed.
Most people fail to realize the highly unappealing proportions of traditional 75% keyboards.
I can Vermillion and his sense of aesthetic.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline KetchyKech

• ∴∵∴◇❖◇∴∵∴
« Reply #201 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 12:31:15 »
Hey Vermillion, I know you noted that you wanted to use "plain" colors for the imminent run... (silver, black, dark grey)
But is there any other color that you can throw our way without upsetting the early adopters of your previous versions?

I can see reasoning behind not offering gold & green again to maintain that exclusivity that they desire--but how about
1 other color thats out of the box this run?  :p  They would maintain their special colors that wont be repeated (along w/ their nameplates) and we'll get a single choice that deviates from "plain"

please consider !  :))
∴∵∴◇Time TKL--VE.A--F&T 1916--Cajal--Octagon v2◇∴∵∴

Offline zefyr

• Oddforge
« Reply #202 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 12:46:49 »
Hey Vermillion, I know you noted that you wanted to use "plain" colors for the imminent run... (silver, black, dark grey)
But is there any other color that you can throw our way without upsetting the early adopters of your previous versions?

I can see reasoning behind not offering gold & green again to maintain that exclusivity that they desire--but how about
1 other color thats out of the box this run?  :p  They would maintain their special colors that wont be repeated (along w/ their nameplates) and we'll get a single choice that deviates from "plain"

I got several request about adding another color option.
As you see, I already added dark gray, it wasn't an option of first batch.
At first I won't add any color besides black/silver. I thought that's a gesture for the friends who was brave enough to join "risky" GB.
I announced that I'll not add any significant color, and personalized name plate.
I'll keep my words, this stand will be applied for everybody who joining my GB.
Only this way, I can be honest designer, man of word.
I'm sure you can understand me :)
ZeFyr "Vermillion" J.

Vergo type.T / alpetit / alpetit II / VE.A with Vergo type.T-II

Offline Zapheo

• There's nothing that I wouldn't do.
« Reply #203 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 12:54:45 »

At first I won't add any color besides black/silver. I thought that's a gesture for the friends who was brave enough to join "risky" GB.
I announced that I'll not add any significant color, and personalized name plate.

I'm glad to see you're making more things available for us! :thumb:
I need more keyboards to hold all of these keycaps.

Offline KetchyKech

• ∴∵∴◇❖◇∴∵∴
« Reply #204 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 12:55:40 »

Yep-- :-*  worth a try  :))
∴∵∴◇Time TKL--VE.A--F&T 1916--Cajal--Octagon v2◇∴∵∴

Offline E3E

« Reply #205 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 14:48:42 »

You've been fantastic so far, Zefyr. No worries, man. :D

I think I can't resist the temptation to get this baby reanodized the color of my choice, but it will give me time to let my wallet recharge in the meantime for that service. Not bad, since I'm thinking about getting my Lightpad reanodized too!

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #206 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 15:51:42 »
So could we use eSATA cables with this? I would just be afraid of breaking a regular SATA connector.
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #207 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 16:39:10 »
So could we use eSATA cables with this? I would just be afraid of breaking a regular SATA connector.

Simple solution. Just never disconnect the sata cables from the keyboard.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #208 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 16:39:42 »

^-^

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #209 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 16:41:25 »

That's actually a valid point.
SATA cables aren't designed to handle a very high number of plugs.
A little worrying to say the least.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline E3E

« Reply #210 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 16:44:05 »

Haha, there goes my idea of having a shorter cable for when the board is used normally and a longer cable for when it's split. :P

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #211 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 16:45:07 »

As long as it works with eSATA there shouldn't be any problems since they're rated for like 5000 vs. SATA's 50

Offline axtran

« Reply #212 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 17:20:39 »

As long as it works with eSATA there shouldn't be any problems since they're rated for like 5000 vs. SATA's 50

Not compatible. eSATA is a "symmetrical" plug, SATA has a guide notch.
MX Silent > MX Vintage Black > Everything Else

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #213 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 17:24:34 »

Shiiiiiit

« Reply #214 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 19:11:28 »
I'm in. I will sell everything I own for this thing.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #215 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 19:13:04 »

Vermillion, would it be possible to switch eSATA for the next round? :)

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #216 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 19:54:02 »

Vermillion, would it be possible to switch eSATA for the next round? :)
Lol who said anything about another round?

Offline Vimto

« Reply #217 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 21:26:00 »
If i get in on this, I need to find out where i can get a curled SATA cable like the pics. Looks amazing.

HHKB Pro 2    HHKB Pro 2   Realforce 87U       WhiteFox        Keyboardio
   BT Hasu                              55g 10th      The True Fox        Model 01
  Controller                        Anniversary Ed.     On Order         On Order

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #218 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 21:28:40 »
If i get in on this, I need to find out where i can get a curled SATA cable like the pics. Looks amazing.

May have just coiled his own, I've never seen a coiled SATA

Offline zefyr

• Oddforge
« Reply #219 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 21:47:44 »

You need a pencil, and blowdryer.
Make coil using pencil as core, blowdry a munite, hold tight until gets cold. now you have a nice colied cable.
ZeFyr "Vermillion" J.

Offline Vimto

« Reply #220 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 22:07:45 »

You need a pencil, and blowdryer.
Make coil using pencil as core, blowdry a munite, hold tight until gets cold. now you have a nice colied cable.

Awesome thanks. If I get in on the buy. Definitely doing this

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #221 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 22:25:35 »
What could be an interesting solution would be to use eSATA ports on the PCBs instead of SATA. But if that's not a problem for most people it might just not be worth the extra work.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #222 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 22:27:48 »
What could be an interesting solution would be to use eSATA ports on the PCBs instead of SATA. But if that's not a problem for most people it might just not be worth the extra work.

I'll be honest in that I'd probably use this as my work board, so it would see a ton of connects/disconnects, but I'd gladly take the chance with sata if it means less work for vermillion. I'm sure they won't be terribly hard to repair worst case.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #223 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 22:31:41 »

I'll be honest in that I'd probably use this as my work board, so it would see a ton of connects/disconnects, but I'd gladly take the chance with sata if it means less work for vermillion. I'm sure they won't be terribly hard to repair worst case.

Luckily SATA cables are pretty cheap so it wouldn't be some huge investment to replace them every once-and-a-while. Just some food for thought though

Offline zefyr

• Oddforge
« Reply #224 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 22:44:52 »

Shiiiiiit

I sense you guys miss something :)
You all know I don't send SATA data via that cable. number of pin matters. and there's some more conditions.

I searched for a long time for the "right" cable for VE series.

At first, I made custom cable with common plugs like molex.
I must say it's not a job for human-being. 

So, I looked around cable markets... like 3 months, to find something meets following condition.

- easy to get.
- short, down to 1ft to 1.5ft (and can be long to 3ft)
- at least 5 pins
- cheap
- small connector size for sleek housing design yet can solder-able by hand.
- use same plug on both end.

that I found SATA. It was a long~~~ journey guys. I searched 700000 parts DB and looked almost 30000 parts. to be honest guys... I don't want to go there again...
ZeFyr "Vermillion" J.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #225 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 22:48:08 »

Shiiiiiit

You all know I don't send SATA data via that cable. number of pin matters. and there's some more conditions.

So, I looked around cable markets... like 3 months, to find something meets following condition.

- easy to get.
- at least 5 pins
- cheap

that I found SATA. It was a long~~~ journey guys. I searched 700000 parts DB and looked almost 30000 parts. to be honest guys... I don't want to go there again...

Ah, that does seem like a big chore. But actually an eSATA connector is almost exactly the same, it just doesn't have the same "L" shape on the inside, it's flat. Then again I'm not sure if it would be easy to make the switch, so I won't push this further :thumb:

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #226 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 22:48:18 »

Luckily SATA cables are pretty cheap so it wouldn't be some huge investment to replace them every once-and-a-while. Just some food for thought though

Is it the cable that has a limited number of re-plugs, or the connector on the keyboard?  Or both?

If it's just the cable, I'm not too fussed since they are cheap.  But if I have to re-solder the connector on the PCB that might be annoying.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #227 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 22:49:16 »

Is it the cable that has a limited number of re-plugs, or the connector on the keyboard?  Or both?

If it's just the cable, I'm not too fussed since they are cheap.  But if I have to re-solder the connector on the PCB that might be annoying.

It's just the cable. And yeah, they're definitely cheap, it's just nice not to have another thing to think about ya know? But if it's as much a pain as Zefyr says, it's really not worth switching anyway

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #228 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 22:52:22 »

It's just the cable. And yeah, they're definitely cheap, it's just nice not to have another thing to think about ya know? But if it's as much a pain as Zefyr says, it's really not worth switching anyway

Oh definitely, agreed that it's worth discussing and thinking about; even minor issues should be rectified if easy enough.  :thumb:  Just saying it won't stop me from buying, by any means.  :thumb:

Offline zefyr

• Oddforge
« Reply #229 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 22:54:04 »

Shiiiiiit

- easy to get.
- at least 5 pins
- cheap

Ah, that does seem like a big chore. But actually an eSATA connector is almost exactly the same, it just doesn't have the same "L" shape on the inside, it's flat. Then again I'm not sure if it would be easy to make the switch, so I won't push this further :thumb:

Show Image

VE.A uses shrouded(improved durability) connector on PCB side.
which I didn't with Vergo type.T, it was open connector. but no broken connector reported yet.
ZeFyr "Vermillion" J.

Offline zefyr

• Oddforge
« Reply #230 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 22:55:49 »

Oh definitely, agreed that it's worth discussing and thinking about; even minor issues should be rectified if easy enough.  :thumb:  Just saying it won't stop me from buying, by any means.  :thumb:

+1 for both
that's why this thread titled "discussion" right?
ZeFyr "Vermillion" J.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #231 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 22:55:49 »
VE.A uses shrouded(improved durability) connector on PCB side.
which I didn't with Vergo type.T, it was open connector. but no broken connector reported yet.

Ah, good to know :thumb:. Of course you thought everything possible beforehand :p

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #232 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 00:00:27 »
I'm sure it was a lot of time spent into getting the right connector, thanks for explaining!

The flat SATA cable coiled up really adds to the aesthetics.

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline hkf

• your #1 fan
« Reply #233 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 03:14:30 »
How hard will it be to get used to ergodox-esq layouts?

Offline zefyr

• Oddforge
« Reply #234 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 03:23:08 »

(more like freestyle-esq thing in layout way.)
It depends,
in my case, 2 weeks? that 2 weeks changed my typing life forever.
ZeFyr "Vermillion" J.

Offline hkf

• your #1 fan
« Reply #235 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 03:24:45 »

It depends,

That sounds really fast. At the moment my left hand types the YHN column a bit more than my right hand, so it will be interesting to say the least.

Step 1 though is a spot in the GB considering my luck with raffles xD

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #236 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 06:08:36 »

It depends,

That sounds really fast. At the moment my left hand types the YHN column a bit more than my right hand, so it will be interesting to say the least.

Step 1 though is a spot in the GB considering my luck with raffles xD

Try changing that and constantly working on it, it makes your right hand a bit more useful and more satisfying to type correctly :thumb:

Offline dohbot

« Reply #237 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 12:53:43 »
I am very excited for this! It is everything I want in a keyboard!
That GHer who likes sloths... A lot.

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #238 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 12:59:04 »

No difference if you are a touch Typer with proper typing technique which most people don't have
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 February 2016, 13:01:10 by appleonama »

Offline dohbot

« Reply #239 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 13:02:20 »
The shift key on the bottom is space, right? Not the 0 key? Because that 0 would hurt me greatly

Offline E3E

« Reply #240 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 15:22:33 »
The shift key on the bottom is space, right? Not the 0 key? Because that 0 would hurt me greatly

I don't think it makes any sense for that key to be a zero key in the firmware, lol. Though it will be programmable, so you can hurt yourself all you want if you'd like. :P

Offline dohbot

« Reply #241 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 15:25:54 »

I don't think it makes any sense for that key to be a zero key in the firmware, lol. Though it will be programmable, so you can hurt yourself all you want if you'd like.
I think I may have phrased that wrong but thanks for your answer as it did answer my question. :)

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #242 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 15:32:40 »

I don't think it makes any sense for that key to be a zero key in the firmware, lol. Though it will be programmable, so you can hurt yourself all you want if you'd like.
I think I may have phrased that wrong but thanks for your answer as it did answer my question. :)
It's just a key that happens to fit the board iirc

Offline dohbot

« Reply #243 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 15:33:24 »

It's just a key that happens to fit the board iirc
Which I love but I may need to make it zero...

Offline Vimto

« Reply #244 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 09:08:12 »
Just ordered but are there any pics of the dark grey compared to the black? Can't decide. Also can we buy just the stabs? I've got plenty of Zealios.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #245 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 03:04:08 »
The design is NOT ergonomically optimal..

IMHO,  this layout compromises  Ergonomics to preserve keycap compatibility..

If you're gonna go this far and get a $400 ERGONOMIC keyboard,   but it isn't designed all the way for ergonomics.. What was the point .. 

The right hand side would work fine, because you can get your hands around it.

But notice the left hand side 1x qwerty-keys are staggered away from direction which fingers naturally curl..  (here we see the compromise, to preserve cap compatibility)

For $400, I'd also expect machined acrylic,  not laser cut acrylic..   and if it is laser cut,  I'd expect better cut than what's in the picture..

Those vertical lines show up because they're prioritizing cut speed over cut quality..  This is a highly tweak intensive process.. because different acrylics even within a single batch may require different cut speeds / cut temperatures for smooth edges..

The original ergodox does not have very good edges either, but for $200, I let it go..

Not @ $400

Guys, if you get this.

Don't waste your money on that stand..

Tenting requires a MUCH HIGHER stand, and across multiple axis for best fit and comfort.

This seems to only tent left-right but not up-down..

I had tried using my ergodox with only left right tenting, it did not fit my wrist well.

ONTOP of which, you need significantly more tenting then that picture.. something along the lines of 100mm in the middle..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #246 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 03:07:22 »
Some of you may say.. Buhh Hey, Tp,   Keycap compatibility is very important to me, I have spent so much money on keycaps..   

Yes, Fine,  but that COMPROMISE puts this keyboard strictly into the realm of mediocrity as an Ergonomic board..

That is to say,   The keycap investment from the beginning was a major mistake..   BY PRESERVING IT,   you've legacy-ed that mistake..

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #247 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 09:01:51 »
Some of you may say.. Buhh Hey, Tp,   Keycap compatibility is very important to me, I have spent so much money on keycaps..   

Yes, Fine,  but that COMPROMISE puts this keyboard strictly into the realm of mediocrity as an Ergonomic board..

That is to say,   The keycap investment from the beginning was a major mistake..   BY PRESERVING IT,   you've legacy-ed that mistake..

What if I just think it looks cool?
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline pwade3

« Reply #248 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 09:11:05 »

What if I just think it looks cool?

That's about how I feel, I think it looks super cool.

But the problem is that I have 0 desire to type on one.

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #249 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 09:20:32 »
Tp speaks truth. It still looks sorta cool