Author Topic: Alps Appreciation Thread  (Read 2455448 times)

Offline E3E

Re: Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #2450 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 09:21:28 »
Salmons are a weird one for me. I used to enjoy them, but then I just couldn't after a certain point. It might be because the Dell AT101 boards that I've tried them in have just bored me to bits. They just aren't interesting aside from their lovely caps and using salmons with anything other than PBT makes them feel lifeless.

Offline Cerasis

« Reply #2451 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 09:28:00 »
I guess orange or salmon switches are what i'll be after. Will definitely look into getting a m0116. Thanks for the suggestions  :D
Bantam44 | M0116 | Miuni32 | EXENT | Un-novatouch'd Novatouch to be fixed

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2452 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 09:28:27 »
I am regretting selling my m0116 more and more, oranges were nice but just a touch too light. maybe swapping in other springs would make me love them. my m0116 was in immaculate condition too, so the switches were super smooth.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #2453 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 09:31:41 »
I guess orange or salmon switches are what i'll be after. Will definitely look into getting a m0116. Thanks for the suggestions  :D
a neXt non adb board is a really nice choice as well if youre looking for tactile alps. There is a seller on ebay letting them go relatively cheap (~55$), so get one while you can. cream alps are nicer than both salmon and orange imo
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 July 2016, 09:33:34 by mike52787 »

Offline E3E

« Reply #2454 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 09:48:12 »
Yeah, I'd recommend Orange or Cream too as a tactile switch to go for. The NeXT boards are the best supply of Creams for now.

Have you gotten a converter for your NeXT yet, mike?

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2455 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 10:01:40 »
If you like smaller form factor you can try Apple's m0116. They usually have salmon but there are ones with oranges as well. Keep in mind you need a converter for it as well.

I just acquired an m0116 with orange Alps myself, and I must say they feel amazing.
They're so ****ing good, especially when they're in great condition, most other tactile switches don't even come close :D .

^ This.

Orange Alps are really nice. I'd say the Cream Alps in NeXT boards are practically tied with them. At that point it's whether or not you like the weight a pinch heavier (Cream) or lighter (Orange), as the feel is pretty much the same.

The other big favorite is SKCM Brown, but they are quite different from SKCM Orange. SKCM Green pine feel incredibly similar to those (but at a lighter weight), and SKCM Green bamboo feel unique all together, almost linear with a rounded "soft" kind of tactility which I really like.
Holy ****balls, browns are even HEAVIER than neon green? Oo They must be some of the stiffest Alps switches ever made then anoi? oO
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2456 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 10:02:21 »
Agreed with E3E. I really like Orange SKCM and Cream SKCM as well as Matias Quiet. I like the Matias switches but they don't feel as good as the vintage SKCM stuff.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2457 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 10:07:32 »
Yeah, I'd recommend Orange or Cream too as a tactile switch to go for. The NeXT boards are the best supply of Creams for now.

Have you gotten a converter for your NeXT yet, mike?
I built one, but I havent compiled tmk and flashed it yet.

Offline emdude

« Reply #2458 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 11:27:13 »
Holy ****balls, browns are even HEAVIER than neon green? Oo They must be some of the stiffest Alps switches ever made then anoi? oO

Yeah, that is perhaps the only thing about SKCM Browns that I'm not sure I care for.  I think I'd like SKCM Greens/Neon Greens/Limes/Mountain Dew? quite a bit.  That said, it's still my favorite tactile Alps switch, with SKCM Oranges being a very close runner-up for its own distinct tactility and light feel.
Current drivers: IBM Model M SSK

Offline E3E

« Reply #2459 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 11:34:22 »

Yep! They were the heaviest Alps switch I weighed (using US nickles and pennies, so YMMV) at 75 grams. I don't have SKCM Amber switches anymore, but they might be a contender there. The next heaviest was SKCL Brown at 70 gf.

For reference, Salmon, White, and Yellow, were all 65 gf when I weighed them. Not sure if something was off, or if it was the added weight of a keycap (I see some sources saying 68 - 70 gf for these switches), but yep.

I know there are some esoteric Alps switches like the double action and heavy grey that are heavier, but none that will show up on a whole board like SKCM brown.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 July 2016, 11:40:29 by E3E »

Offline E3E

« Reply #2460 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 11:35:56 »

Yeah, that is perhaps the only thing about SKCM Browns that I'm not sure I care for.  I think I'd like SKCM Greens/Neon Greens/Limes/Mountain Dew? quite a bit.  That said, it's still my favorite tactile Alps switch, with SKCM Oranges being a very close runner-up for its own distinct tactility and light feel.

The real bit that makes SKCM Green a better switch is that you can spring swap for lighter weights if you'd like, which is impossible for SKCM Brown because of its stiffer tactile leaf. That's actually why it's such a stiff switch.

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #2461 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 11:40:16 »
Beautiful boards guys<drools>

I am currently typing on AT101W which I loooove (tested some MX boards and really don't like them as much).

Recently my collegue bought Monterey board with white alps (we thought it will have monterey switches, but it turned out for the better) and boy do I want me some of these as well :P

Sifo...i must say that want level is high within me right now...ALPS mini board....mmmm...

Only problem i see with ALPS boards is the lack of novelty caps, or rather really small amount compared to MX and Topre. But I will wait patiently and maybe one day some will show up :)

I'm working on making some stuff for Alps. Far too little selection, in my opinion.

Offline emdude

« Reply #2462 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 11:40:59 »
Shame SKCM Greens are as rare as they are; if Matias made tactile switches like those or Browns I'd buy them in a heartbeat.

Offline emdude

« Reply #2463 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 11:44:47 »
Beautiful boards guys<drools>

I am currently typing on AT101W which I loooove (tested some MX boards and really don't like them as much).

Recently my collegue bought Monterey board with white alps (we thought it will have monterey switches, but it turned out for the better) and boy do I want me some of these as well :P

Sifo...i must say that want level is high within me right now...ALPS mini board....mmmm...

Only problem i see with ALPS boards is the lack of novelty caps, or rather really small amount compared to MX and Topre. But I will wait patiently and maybe one day some will show up :)

I'm working on making some stuff for Alps. Far too little selection, in my opinion.

Booper's Alps mount artisans looked really nice, if I had known about her work sooner I would have tried to get in on her CMYKeydelic sale.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #2464 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 11:57:18 »
I know there are some esoteric Alps switches like the double action and heavy grey that are heavier, but none that will show up on a whole board like SKCM brown.
Last I checked that guy on Alibaba is still selling NOS SKCL Grey (for way too much, unfortunately) and it seems like he has quite a few. In other words, someone might build a board of SKCL Heavy Greys yet.

EDIT: It looks like they're gone, sadly. I wonder if someone bought them or if he just decided to take them down...

Shame SKCM Greens are as rare as they are; if Matias made tactile switches like those or Browns I'd buy them in a heartbeat.
I know, right? I would buy them in a heartbeat as well. I wonder how a Matias "Neon Green" switch would feel without the complicated switch plate. If he got the tactile plate's shape right would that be enough?

Anyway, I got to try a 5140 a while ago and I have been on the hunt to try/obtain SKCM Greens since.

Offline alh84001

« Reply #2465 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 12:05:05 »
Aren't those compact SKCL greens and regular SKCM browns on 5140?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2466 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 12:06:05 »

Yes

Offline E3E

« Reply #2467 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 12:07:15 »
Last I checked that guy on Alibaba is still selling NOS SKCL Grey (for way too much, unfortunately) and it seems like he has quite a few. In other words, someone might build a board of SKCL Heavy Greys yet.

EDIT: It looks like they're gone, sadly. I wonder if someone bought them or if he just decided to take them down...

I know, right? I would buy them in a heartbeat as well. I wonder how a Matias "Neon Green" switch would feel without the complicated switch plate. If he got the tactile plate's shape right would that be enough?

Anyway, I got to try a 5140 a while ago and I have been on the hunt to try/obtain SKCM Greens since.

Well, if tactile leaves would fit into SKCM housings, then you could easily turn SKCM Salmon or White or even Black into SKCM "Pseudo Green" switches, haha. So as long as Matias were to design a switch around the unique tactile leaf shape, then I think that'd be all we'd need.

SKCL Heavy Grey is actually a different switch from SKCL Grey, which is a space bar switch. I forget what SKCL Grey is rated at for actuation force, but heavy grey is at 120 gf.
https://deskthority.net/wiki/Alps_SKCL_Heavy_Grey

It'd be pretty cool to build an entire board with normal greys though. 

Edit: Wiki says grey is at around 90 gf. Still a hefty switch.

« Last Edit: Tue, 26 July 2016, 12:09:18 by E3E »

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #2468 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 12:20:08 »
Yes, to clarify I liked the way the browns felt but they were a bit too stiff for me so I have been trying to find a board with SKCM Greens since.

Well, if tactile leaves would fit into SKCM housings, then you could easily turn SKCM Salmon or White or even Black into SKCM "Pseudo Green" switches, haha. So as long as Matias were to design a switch around the unique tactile leaf shape, then I think that'd be all we'd need.
Matias, if you're reading this, you should try and this happen :p

SKCL Heavy Grey is actually a different switch from SKCL Grey, which is a space bar switch. I forget what SKCL Grey is rated at for actuation force, but heavy grey is at 120 gf.
https://deskthority.net/wiki/Alps_SKCL_Heavy_Grey

It'd be pretty cool to build an entire board with normal greys though. 

Edit: Wiki says grey is at around 90 gf. Still a hefty switch.
Interesting, I didn't know there was an even heavier alps switch. Dang... 120gf is hefty.

This is the first time I've seen an M-system keyboard (the board that Heavy Greys came in) as well, its rather nifty. It looks a helluva' lot like an Atreus.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 July 2016, 12:23:26 by Wingpad »

Offline emdude

« Reply #2469 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 12:28:23 »
Does Matias have a suggestion box or something?  I'm just one person, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt. :P

Still, I wonder if he'd be willing to even consider something like that.  Seems like he's been having trouble trying to get his 60% keyboard and PBT key caps out the door too.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #2470 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 14:00:32 »
Does Matias have a suggestion box or something?  I'm just one person, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt. :P

Still, I wonder if he'd be willing to even consider something like that.  Seems like he's been having trouble trying to get his 60% keyboard and PBT key caps out the door too.
Yea, he's still a small company. A Matias SKCM Brown/Green would be really cool.
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline quasistellar

« Reply #2471 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 15:15:50 »
If you like smaller form factor you can try Apple's m0116. They usually have salmon but there are ones with oranges as well. Keep in mind you need a converter for it as well.

I just acquired an m0116 with orange Alps myself, and I must say they feel amazing.
They're so ****ing good, especially when they're in great condition, most other tactile switches don't even come close :D .

I actually love their lightness compared to most other alps switches, and the excellent keycaps of the m0116 certainly help.  They seem to have the perfect force curve to me--nice and tactile at the top with a linear, light throw the rest of the way down.  I wouldn't mind them maybe being just a tiny bit lighter (I don't like heavy switches AT ALL).  Some of my switches feel like they may be a teensy bit dirty though--I'm going to have to dig in and see. 

Originally I bought this board to harvest the keycaps, but now I don't know.  If I can get used to the layout or change it with a converter or software, I may try to restore it a bit and keep it together.  I personally love having a numpad and function keys, but I love having a nav cluster even more.  If I could make the numpad adjustable to be a nav cluster by default and then just numlock it when I want it to be a numpad, that would be ideal.  I'm going to try the keycaps on my Infinity with Matias Quiet Pro switches and see how they compare.

I'm also tempted to get a Matias Mini Quiet/Tactile Pro keyboard, as I really like the layout on it.  Might be interesting to swap orange alps onto it. . .  :p

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2472 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 05:26:39 »
Matias definitely has the capability to make almost anything. Though they'll never sound as nice as original ALPS unfortunately.

Seriously, Matias sound awful, theres a lot of clones that feel worse but most don't have the rattly high pitched sound Matias do, still better than Cherry imo though.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2473 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 06:14:02 »
Matias definitely has the capability to make almost anything. Though they'll never sound as nice as original ALPS unfortunately.

Seriously, Matias sound awful, theres a lot of clones that feel worse but most don't have the rattly high pitched sound Matias do, still better than Cherry imo though.
I suspect it's the translucent plastic. Unlike other clones, Matias actually tried to at least mildly update the design for modern expectations. This comes at the cost of sound, I guess.

Matias must have thought about using a complicated mechanism for his switches, no way he wouldn't've. He consciously chose the simplified mechanism either out of cost-effectiveness or technical limitations or something. Either way, that more or less means he'll never make original-style Alps switches :p .

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2474 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 09:47:43 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:59:15 by alienman82 »

Offline E3E

« Reply #2475 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 09:57:40 »
SGI or Dell AT101 PBT. What has the better legends?   :blank:

That depends on your preferences on the font style as well as boldness.

Some SGI cap sets have legends that are pretty much on the same level as the AT101, but then there are bold versions with sharper printing that I've seen as well. I'm not sure which is more common, but I'm thinking bold printing.

I'm not a terribly big fan of the SGI's font. IMO, the AT101 wins out. I know some people dislike the AT101 because its printing isn't as sharp, but that's no problem to me.

Though, if you like japanese legends, you can always go with:

2nd gen IBM Multistation PBT caps (for the Alphas at least). They have scooped F and J keys as well.  I don't have a full set, sadly. Waiting for a friend to help me out there.

They would blend well with AT101 caps.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 July 2016, 10:00:49 by E3E »

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
    • Bishop Computer Design web
« Reply #2476 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 10:29:01 »
Agreed with E3E. I really like Orange SKCM and Cream SKCM as well as Matias Quiet. I like the Matias switches but they don't feel as good as the vintage SKCM stuff.

i have some vintage Alps clones i need to test against my Matias Quiet clicks. man those vintage ones feel nice. (after i washed them and cleaned them)
Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline E3E

« Reply #2477 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 10:35:46 »

i have some vintage Alps clones i need to test against my Matias Quiet clicks. man those vintage ones feel nice. (after i washed them and cleaned them)

The clones are actually quite good compared to what I've tried from Matias so far. The Tai Hao APC white switches actually feel a whole lot better.

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #2478 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 10:37:58 »

The clones are actually quite good compared to what I've tried from Matias so far. The Tai Hao APC white switches actually feel a whole lot better.

i'm going to have to put them next to each other and give them a try. i have a 2 key switch tester thats going to make this a perfect test. :)
Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2479 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 11:18:41 »
The Dell IMO. I don't like italic fonts on keycaps. The SGI's are nowhere near as repulsive as those on old Apple boards, though.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2480 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 11:20:34 »
The Dell IMO. I don't like italic fonts on keycaps. The SGI's are nowhere near as repulsive as those on old Apple boards, though.
Finally, an opinion chyros and I differ on. I really like sgi caps, for the same reason I like the older apple caps, the funky font!

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #2481 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 12:42:20 »
I don't really care for the font lol. Maybe its b/c i'm a touch typer. Apples do look better than SGI imo, but the SGI's isn't bad or anything. I only got my SGI over a OG Dell is b/c they are cheaper to buy :P
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline E3E

« Reply #2482 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 13:16:33 »
Apple and SGI fonts reminded me of each other a lot, to be honest. When I first saw SGI caps, noticing the font using AEK for quite a while before that, I really enjoyed the look, but I've since decided that standard Helvetica is probably my favorite font for legends, followed up by Cherry.

TBH, the rounded legends of Cherry sometimes make me think it looks toyish, which is one reason it's not my favorite font.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2483 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 13:41:45 »
Finally, an opinion chyros and I differ on. I really like sgi caps, for the same reason I like the older apple caps, the funky font!
:))

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #2484 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 14:11:42 »
I'm using this ****ty DC-3014 with blue alps, this board sucks..

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2485 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 14:12:17 »

Show Image

Ill take it off your hands if you hate it so much :))

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #2486 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 14:17:32 »
i always need key caps so i'm with mike
 :thumb:
Projects

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #2487 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 14:44:58 »

Offline quasistellar

« Reply #2488 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 15:39:57 »

I was actually trying to find an SGI board for the caps but gave up and went for the m0116.  It will work out better for me in the long run, I think, as now I have orange alps :D

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2489 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 15:43:00 »
Helvetica is best font, hail IBM!

Offline E3E

« Reply #2490 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 15:45:18 »

Show Image

Yeah, I know what you mean, dude. ESPECIALLY with these ****ty PBT key caps.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #2491 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 15:46:03 »

Show Image

Show Image

Whoa..nice ****ty board you got there! Yours really sucks!! :D

Offline E3E

« Reply #2492 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 15:49:05 »

Show Image

Show Image

You know my pain. :(

These are the worst keyboards ever.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #2493 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 15:59:41 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

How do you even get through your day knowing that you have type on those piles of trash?? You really need to save up and get a Corsair.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2494 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 16:17:28 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

How do you even get through your day knowing that you have type on those piles of trash?? You really need to save up and get a Corsair.
Exactly! Just listen to that typing sound ffs, it's just awful.

Offline E3E

« Reply #2495 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 16:18:39 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Razer. Blackwidow. Chroma.  ;)

Offline Aran.E99

« Reply #2496 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 17:24:29 »
Yeah, those are terrible boards. So glad I don't own one. Blue alps are worse than rubber domes.

:p
SMK 2nd Gen Blue Alps mount <3

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2497 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 19:03:38 »
My favorite keyboards are those metal ones that they use at airports and hospitals.

Offline Dokyun

« Reply #2498 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 19:18:43 »
Folks, not to backseat mod but can we please end this derail about bad keyboards? Let's get back on the thread topic here: our favorite switch, the mighty Cherry MX Brown.

Offline Aran.E99

« Reply #2499 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 19:22:11 »
Folks, not to backseat mod but can we please end this derail about bad keyboards? Let's get back on the thread topic here: our favorite switch, the mighty Cherry MX Brown.

At first I thought you were being serious but when you mentioned mx browns I knew you were joking   :p
SMK 2nd Gen Blue Alps mount <3