Author Topic: Alps Appreciation Thread  (Read 2455473 times)

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
Re: Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #2550 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 16:40:31 »
I still would like to try Monterey SMK Alps mount switches at some point, the impression I get of them is that they are better Alps switches than even SKCM Whites or later simplified clicky Alps/clones.

Tbh i like them more that skcm blues=)

Offline Aran.E99

« Reply #2551 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 16:42:52 »
i love them but make sure all the keys work if you get a kb with them on. to put the switch back together after cleaning, you have to have everything in the top housing UPSIDE DOWN then you have to make sure about 5 things line up with the bottom plate, and if you take the top off when its on a keyboard, you have to have some great balancing skills and timing or everywhing will fall out or the contact plate will bend. (i put 4 of these together) luckily, unlike alps, they do not accumulate dirt easily so they should be fine.
SMK 2nd Gen Blue Alps mount <3

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #2552 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 17:01:34 »
They are better than SKCM White but not Blue imo. The click and action isnt quite as deep/thick. Still good switches though. Wish they were more common. I don't think anyone has ever built a custom w/ them.
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline emdude

« Reply #2553 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 17:02:31 »
That will likely change when BlueNalgene goes ahead with his new Alps Party GB. :)
Current drivers: IBM Model M SSK

Online chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2554 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 17:10:50 »
They are better than SKCM White but not Blue imo. The click and action isnt quite as deep/thick. Still good switches though. Wish they were more common. I don't think anyone has ever built a custom w/ them.
Yeah, that's what I would say as well. They're excellent switches, with a few small design imperfections but they're so nice to use. THE go-to light clicky switches IMO.

just tried this thing out, the feel on this thing!

Show Image

Cool what switches does it have?

Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #2555 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 17:30:37 »
My clicky switch preferences:

Blue Alps > SMK Blue > Gateron Green > White Alps > Cherry Blue

There's several I'm leaving off but I either don't remember them right now or don't remember how much I like them.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2556 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 17:31:17 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:59:06 by alienman82 »

Offline emdude

« Reply #2557 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 17:33:57 »
Well, there's no accounting for taste. :p
Current drivers: IBM Model M SSK

Offline Aran.E99

« Reply #2558 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 17:44:05 »

just tried this thing out, the feel on this thing!

Show Image

Cool what switches does it have?
[/quote]
Think he said SMKs (started the whole SMK discussion)

There's several I'm leaving off but I either don't remember them right now or don't remember how much I like them.

Still yet to try blue alps. Never see any boards with them in.
SMK 2nd Gen Blue Alps mount <3

Online chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2559 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 20:49:42 »

Model F BS > Cherry Blue >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Blue Alps
WAT

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2560 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 20:54:40 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:59:01 by alienman82 »

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #2561 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 20:55:20 »
I just can't get into the Alps key caps.  They don't feel very good.  I've tried all the best ones.

LIES!!!

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2562 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 20:55:52 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:59:00 by alienman82 »

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #2563 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 20:56:10 »
I just can't get into the Alps key caps.  They don't feel very good.  I've tried all the best ones.

LIES!!!

false

false=truth

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2564 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 21:02:28 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:58:55 by alienman82 »

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #2565 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 21:05:24 »

LIES!!!

false

false=truth

you're the reason I stick around :D

You're the stick I reason with? ....sorry that's all I got... you win.

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2566 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 21:09:15 »

The best ones are the wretched-looking ones on the old Apple AEK and AEK2. Nothing else comes close.

But they are butt-ugly and will not make a proper set.

Lack of top-shelf key caps is a major shortcoming of an otherwise excellent switch.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2567 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 21:09:28 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:58:50 by alienman82 »

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2568 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 21:17:23 »
petition to ban alienman from the alps appreciation thread
mike52787
_________
_________
_________

:))
jk love you

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2569 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 21:18:24 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:58:49 by alienman82 »

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #2570 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 21:19:50 »
petition to ban alienman from the alps appreciation thread
mike52787
Blaise170
_________
_________

:))
jk love you

Seconded  :rolleyes:
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2571 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 21:27:06 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:58:47 by alienman82 »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #2572 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 23:57:06 »
Huh

The seller probably won't sell it separately though. Its all one bundle of 5140 stuff. Cool story behind it though. http://www.ebay.com/itm/162151324671

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2573 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 23:59:35 »
Huh
Show Image

The seller probably won't sell it separately though. Its all one bundle of 5140 stuff. Cool story behind it though. http://www.ebay.com/itm/162151324671
yeah I saw that too. NOS brown alps. I want em. I wont pay whatever hes asking though. if I remember right it was something like 1000$.

Offline Magna224

« Reply #2574 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 00:36:44 »
On the topic of SMKs. Does anyone else think that the whites feel much worse than the blues? They are very very similar internally correct?
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.

Offline E3E

« Reply #2575 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 01:28:34 »

Except the Cherry profile key caps though. :P

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #2576 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 01:36:13 »
On the topic of SMKs. Does anyone else think that the whites feel much worse than the blues?
If your source for white SMK switches is an Apple IIGS keyboard, then the keycaps are preventing the switches from functioning properly.

Offline Magna224

« Reply #2577 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 02:20:27 »
On the topic of SMKs. Does anyone else think that the whites feel much worse than the blues?
If your source for white SMK switches is an Apple IIGS keyboard, then the keycaps are preventing the switches from functioning properly.

Yes that was the source. The blues didn't seem odd like the whites though after being transplanted. They might have suffered from it though I only used the keyboard for a little bit one night then threw it in the closet.
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.

Online chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2578 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 04:27:52 »
On the topic of SMKs. Does anyone else think that the whites feel much worse than the blues? They are very very similar internally correct?
You mean tactile white or clicky white?

Offline Magna224

« Reply #2579 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 07:30:33 »

Tactile ALPS style mount. Sorry for confusion.
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 July 2016, 07:37:31 by Magna224 »

Online chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2580 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 08:38:56 »

The tactile and click leaves have quite different hooks to compensate for the loss of tactility inherent in Alps-style tactile leaves compared to their clicky counterparts. I only have an inverse-mount tactile SMK board but it's pretty good I'd say. Quite inconsistent though.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2581 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 20:46:58 »

The tactile and click leaves have quite different hooks to compensate for the loss of tactility inherent in Alps-style tactile leaves compared to their clicky counterparts. I only have an inverse-mount tactile SMK board but it's pretty good I'd say. Quite inconsistent though.
waiting patiently for the review of those smks.

Online chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2582 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 21:37:27 »

waiting patiently for the review of those smks.
It'll be a while, but it'll be there ;) .

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2583 on: Sun, 31 July 2016, 03:40:14 »

The best ones are the wretched-looking ones on the old Apple AEK and AEK2. Nothing else comes close.

But they are butt-ugly and will not make a proper set.

Lack of top-shelf key caps is a major shortcoming of an otherwise excellent switch.

There needs to be an Alps renaissance to encourage manufacturers to make Alps-compatible sets.

The biggest problem is that most of the legacy Alps keyboards have their own unique layout.  Even modern Matias keyboards tend to have distinct layouts.  Supporting all of those in a single set would be a nightmare!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2584 on: Sun, 31 July 2016, 08:14:34 »

The biggest problem is that most of the legacy Alps keyboards have their own unique layout. 

I bought a set of the modern "Dolch-esque" doubleshots a few months ago, and they are very nice, but the bottom row is not compatible with the common vintage boards like Dell, Northgate, and Focus. Is is very sad.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline ipreferpie

« Reply #2585 on: Sun, 31 July 2016, 09:10:05 »
Does anyone have preferences on what type of ALPS switches are best used with stainless steel? Looking to build a Preonic with these thick ABS keys below but can't decide on which works best. I have a bunch of SKCM Blues, SKCM Browns, SKCM Ivories & SKCL Browns. Since it's my first ortholinear, I'm prioritizing key accuracy first with all keys being 1u. And it's portable so something quieter would be nice. And won't type for long stretches so a heavier but more accurate switch would be good. It looks to be a toss up between SKCM / SKCL Browns right now. Any suggestions? :)

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #2586 on: Sun, 31 July 2016, 09:20:30 »
For quiet and accurate I'd say SKCM over SKCL.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #2587 on: Sun, 31 July 2016, 13:02:15 »

The biggest problem is that most of the legacy Alps keyboards have their own unique layout. 

I bought a set of the modern "Dolch-esque" doubleshots a few months ago, and they are very nice, but the bottom row is not compatible with the common vintage boards like Dell, Northgate, and Focus. Is is very sad.

If you mean the Tai Hao set, it's compatible with the AT101W save for Caps Lock and perhaps the space bar.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline E3E

« Reply #2588 on: Sun, 31 July 2016, 13:42:17 »
Does anyone have preferences on what type of ALPS switches are best used with stainless steel? Looking to build a Preonic with these thick ABS keys below but can't decide on which works best. I have a bunch of SKCM Blues, SKCM Browns, SKCM Ivories & SKCL Browns. Since it's my first ortholinear, I'm prioritizing key accuracy first with all keys being 1u. And it's portable so something quieter would be nice. And won't type for long stretches so a heavier but more accurate switch would be good. It looks to be a toss up between SKCM / SKCL Browns right now. Any suggestions? :)

Show Image

Ivories from the NeXT keyboards? 

I favor SKCL Brown over SKCM Brown. It's got a nice weighty press that isn't too heavy (imo), but with enough weight that you have to be deliberate in your presses. Its smooth nature is something that wins me over.

It's a fun and rocky road with SKCM Brown, but for pure typing experience and probably as someone who's more of a linear lover at heart, I favor SKCL Brown.

Note that I also use Cherry profile doubleshots with the brown linears, which give it a very unique feel on top of all of that, so that might lead to more bias. :P

I should also say that you aren't going to get much quiet from SKCM Brown. Thick key caps and linear switches will give you the quietest experience.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2589 on: Sun, 31 July 2016, 18:18:57 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:28:03 by alienman82 »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #2590 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 16:01:46 »

Show Image

Ivories from the NeXT keyboards? 

I favor SKCL Brown over SKCM Brown. It's got a nice weighty press that isn't too heavy (imo), but with enough weight that you have to be deliberate in your presses. Its smooth nature is something that wins me over.

It's a fun and rocky road with SKCM Brown, but for pure typing experience and probably as someone who's more of a linear lover at heart, I favor SKCL Brown.

Note that I also use Cherry profile doubleshots with the brown linears, which give it a very unique feel on top of all of that, so that might lead to more bias. :P

I should also say that you aren't going to get much quiet from SKCM Brown. Thick key caps and linear switches will give you the quietest experience.
+1 those creams form NeXT's are so nice. So crisp and snappy. Much more than SKCM Orange but that might be down to condiction. Using mine right now. Same WPM as my Model M.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #2591 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 19:53:06 »
Got the dupont lube in. Lubed a couple of SKCM Blues. They are better but still don't feel as clean and snappy as the couple perfect condition ones I have. I'll let them sit for a bit and see how they do. It had less of an effect on the SKCL Greens. There is something up with the top housing causing friction. Lubed the slider wells.

Offline E3E

« Reply #2592 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 20:11:20 »
+1 those creams form NeXT's are so nice. So crisp and snappy. Much more than SKCM Orange but that might be down to condiction. Using mine right now. Same WPM as my Model M.

I just pulled out the NeXT again and, man, I really need to get a converter for it. It really is probably the most pleasant standard tactile switch out there, in my opinion. Not too light, not too heavy, and with a mellow tactility that's just right.

I also need to get a converter for those Docutechs too. Hasu posted about the protocol they most likely use in the Deskthority thread, but I have no idea what to do with that information.

https://deskthority.net/photos-f62/xerox-docutech-keyboards-and-restoration-t13229.html

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #2593 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 20:25:29 »

I just pulled out the NeXT again and, man, I really need to get a converter for it. It really is probably the most pleasant standard tactile switch out there, in my opinion. Not too light, not too heavy, and with a mellow tactility that's just right.

I also need to get a converter for those Docutechs too. Hasu posted about the protocol they most likely use in the Deskthority thread, but I have no idea what to do with that information.

https://deskthority.net/photos-f62/xerox-docutech-keyboards-and-restoration-t13229.html
I know man, its perfect. The Wob ds caps are awesome too. Thicker than Tai Hao's. The aesthetic of the thing is great too. Small on my desk compared to my other battleships. The layout is pretty standard too. Still getting used to the ctrl key where caps usually is but other than that its pick up and go. Hasu will sell you one for $40. Pricey but it works great and is compact. Ordered a proper usb cable since right now i'm using a white usb cable from my phone.

Using a Docutech would be badass.

Online chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2594 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 04:57:34 »
Got the dupont lube in. Lubed a couple of SKCM Blues. They are better but still don't feel as clean and snappy as the couple perfect condition ones I have. I'll let them sit for a bit and see how they do. It had less of an effect on the SKCL Greens. There is something up with the top housing causing friction. Lubed the slider wells.
You might also want to lube the contact and slider leaves, some keyboard companies were known to specifically lube those.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #2595 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 08:56:32 »

You might also want to lube the contact and slider leaves, some keyboard companies were known to specifically lube those.

Based on my experience, here's what I can recommend:
  • Soak the top housings and sliders in soapy water -or- use an ultrasonic cleaner to clean them
  • Using a toothpick, clean the slots for the slider in the top housing. There is usually a lot of dust built up in them, even after soaking them. You'll want to scrape it away until they are smooth
  • Using a brush, lightly brush lube on the tabs of the slider and the slots for the slider in the top housing
  • Reassemble the switch, ensuring that the cutout on the slider is facing the switch plate and the two ridges on the top housing, exercising the usual caution when working on SKCM switches.

The switches are a bit mushy until you use them and/or they sit for a while, they begin to feel "regular" afterwards.

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
    • Bishop Computer Design web
« Reply #2596 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 09:01:42 »
the vintage switches i cleaned by using hot dish soapy water mixing them careful several times during the several hour soak. rinsing then adding water again and some denture cleaning tabs (the ones that bubble) letting that soak over night then ricing the next day (about 24hrs later) they came out really clean and minty  ;D

switches were completely disassembled i took the metal parts out before the water bath.
Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2597 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 09:04:44 »
the vintage switches i cleaned by using hot dish soapy water mixing them careful several times during the several hour soak. rinsing then adding water again and some denture cleaning tabs (the ones that bubble) letting that soak over night then ricing the next day (about 24hrs later) they came out really clean and minty  ;D

switches were completely disassembled i took the metal parts out before the water bath.
Yeah, that is the right way to clean them, But the discussion were on is lubing the first gen switches, which came pre-lubed from the factory. I cleaned my skcm blues the same way, but I let them air dry.

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
    • Bishop Computer Design web
« Reply #2598 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 09:29:57 »

Yeah, that is the right way to clean them, But the discussion were on is lubing the first gen switches, which came pre-lubed from the factory. I cleaned my skcm blues the same way, but I let them air dry.

i'm so sorry, kinda jumped in with my experiences in cleaning with out reading the entire ongoing at the moment. however i'll be interested in the lubing aspects as well.
Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2599 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 09:33:51 »

i'm so sorry, kinda jumped in with my experiences in cleaning with out reading the entire ongoing at the moment. however i'll be interested in the lubing aspects as well.
haha dont be sorry, you provided excellent advice as to how to clean switches. That way is perfect, and all you need to do for 2nd gen. Im not sure if lubing would affect the feel of later switches as much as the early ones.