Author Topic: [IC] Salvaging Vintage IBM Model F and M  (Read 2098 times)

Offline bsanto

[IC] Salvaging Vintage IBM Model F and M
« on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 07:22:11 »
Hey all!

This is my first time posting in GH and I hope this project excites you as well as I do.

I've been in the community just a bit over a year but already went down the rabbit hole deep and hard (no pun intended!). In all my interactions with the community members, I've found a certain niche of people that adores vintage keyboards, especially vintage IBM Model F and M. But seeing that it's a niche segment, it kinda puts me on the edge whether to pursue with this project or not. So here goes.

TL;DR
As I've felt in love with keyboards I kept on learning new stuff every day, and one day I stumbled on vintage keyboards. It's really hard to find vintage keyboards here in my country (I hail from Indonesia). But this summer as I talked with my dad who's been in the tech industry for the last three decades, he told me that he has access to old containers full of IBM mainframe keyboards! I got excited and asked around in discord whether some folks are interested in getting one and here we are. The only issue is that the container lot is a three-hour flight from my city and it's a 4-5 hour drive from my dad's city. Another hurdle is that there are loads of containers that we have to sift through to find those amazing keyboards. So I'm posting this IC to really know whether or not there's a demand for this. Frankly speaking, those keyboards have been in the dust for the past 20-30 years so some might work and some don't. So please prepare for the worst.

If you're one of the few that's interested to jump in on this project please fill the IC form here https://forms.gle/cpaf5Rgg8KrW84pPA

Pricing TBD
Quantity TBD - approximately 100ish, optimistically 150ish

Offline bsanto

Re: [IC] Salvaging Vintage IBM Model F and M
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 23:38:51 »
Hey Folks!

Thanks for the response. So far, the response has been prettly limited but I'll see what I can do to make this project happens.