Author Topic: ANSI layout plus german umlauts  (Read 3608 times)

Offline Albay

ANSI layout plus german umlauts
« on: Mon, 20 September 2021, 13:29:44 »
I want to switch from german ISO layout to US ANSI layout, but I still need to be able to type the german umlauts. I Want to avoid switching the whole keyboard from english to german so I am looking for options on how I can type them.

I was thinking of puttung them at their original places and acces them by pressing ALT. So ALT + ';' results in 'ö' and ALT + '-' results in 'ß'.

What other options are there for typing them on an ANSI keyboard?

Offline AJM

Re: ANSI layout plus german umlauts
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 20 September 2021, 15:03:41 »
One easy option would be to switch the keyboard language of your OS to "US International".

Offline Albay

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 20 September 2021, 15:14:36 »
One easy option would be to switch the keyboard language of your OS to "US International".

Which key combinations would get me the umlauts?

Offline MukeMukem

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 20 September 2021, 15:49:18 »
Alt + q = ä / y = ü / p = ö / s = ß / 5 = €

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 September 2021, 04:20:04 »
If you are using a Mac, you can type Option-U followed by O = ö and Opt-U + Shift-O = Ö.

Opt-S = ß (fairly obvious when you consider what ß sounds like).

This is on an ANSI keyboard with no special layouts configured.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Albay

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 23 September 2021, 14:46:09 »
Thanks for your comments. I did not know about US-International keyboard. But this turns single and double quotes into dead keys. You can use them to type an umlaut like " + o = ö But you also have to press it twice to type one double quote.

Currently I am using an AutoHotkey script which turns capslock into a modifier key and I use it to type the umlauts.
capslk + o = ö or capslk + ; = ö

I found the script here: https://autohotkey.com/board/topic/84934-script-for-german-umlauts-changing/ and enhanced it a bit.

And here is the script for future reference. You have to save it as UTF-8 with BOM
Code: [Select]
;Umlaut
#Persistent
SetCapsLockState, AlwaysOff

#If, GetKeyState("CapsLock", "P")
a::Send, ä
o::Send, ö
u::Send, ü
s::Send, ß
e::Send, €
+a::Send, Ä
+o::Send, Ö
+u::Send, Ü

'::Send, ä
`;::Send, ö
[::Send, ü
-::Send, ß
"::Send, Ä
+;::Send, Ö
+[::Send, Ü
#If
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 September 2021, 07:50:22 by Albay »

Offline dante257

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 08 October 2021, 04:42:41 »
You can also use the EurKey layout which uses ANSI layout and has all german letters u need.

https://eurkey.steffen.bruentjen.eu/?lang=de

just download and set it as your keyboard layout. I've been using it for 1 month but have also a 2nd build with iso.
if you want to type ü, ä, ö you just press alt gr+u/a/o