Author Topic: [GB] M65-A | Made with RAMA.WORKS (Complete)  (Read 869670 times)

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
Re: [GB] M65-A | Made with RAMA.WORKS
« Reply #2100 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 15:02:39 »
I trust jchan to get me a great product and that the quality will be held to high standards.  If it's not I know it will be fixed. That's why I was confident to join this GB. That still holds true

My only problem with this gb, and I think others would agree was the updated timelines you kept giving towards the end that weren't realistic. Personally id much rather just get a "hey there's going to be a month or so delay at least, I'm working my hardest but I can't give give a guarantee date due to real life events" I'd be okay with that. I just didn't like the oh it ships this Tuesday, then we don't hear anything for a week, then rinse repeat basically. Stuff like that just gets everyone's hopes up then they get crushed again. I think that's why most people were complaining so much.

Other then that Jchan do your thing man, family comes first and I can't wait to get this board and will still be joining future GBs run by you confidently. Have a good one man and hope things are getting better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Quakemz

« Reply #2101 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 20:39:48 »
I want to clarify some things.

1. Certain people did receive theirs, but if you're thinking about targeting Brian, he asked me a long time ago to bring it for the Seattle meetup. I took a few up there as carry on luggage.

2. The only thing I'm asking for is patience while I'm currently split between the hospital and work. While it's important to you to get a keyboard, it's important for me to visit my family.

3. You're allowed to complain, of course, but I think that you should give me a little break as I'm currently in the middle of what I'd like to call a break down from the amount of life that I'm dealing with. So please, give me a moment to stabilize life, my emotional state, and the work.

I've been in the hospital more this year, than I have my whole life. And whether it means anything to you, but my family is every thing to me. They will always take priority over any work, or keyboard, or anything in between.

4. If you're so unsatisfied with waiting, please just take a refund. Everyday I'm at the hospital, I just read the comments of what I haven't been doing, but I can only do so much at this current state.

All the boards are in - I need time to pack them. When you look at the number of boards I already packed, you don't consider how much time it still takes to process all the boards.and yes, despite being a vendor, it still takes a lot of time to do this in way you'll be satisfied with the board you get. I don't have to work weekends to do this - but I do, because I know how excited people are. And I've been itching to get this out. I don't want this sitting in my office, anymore than you do. If you wanted to know how efficiently I've been able to pack one, it takes about 15 minutes with qc not including loading them for dhl or FedEx.

And of course, if you're not happy with the state of where this is at - you are always welcomed to taking a refund.

I hope everyone understands where I'm at right now. It's the weekend, but I hope you all have a good one, and can expect these to go out as soon as they can. Thanks for understanding, and I hope these matters get resolved soon.

I'm truly sorry, but again if you are not happy - please take the refund, PayPal fees are included as well.

Hope you all have a good weekend.

to be clear, i'm not complaining about the state of the gb and haven't been even though it is frustrating to not have the kit yet. i get that things happen and personally i want things to go well for you in both your business and personal lives. i was merely responding to quakemz and this idea that people shouldn't complain based on the norm that group buys seem to rarely go according to plan. that's a failure of the community as a whole and shouldn't serve as an excuse which can perpetuate the phenomenon.

i can critique some of the choices you've made but i don't think that's useful or frankly healthy for you. but coming from someone who has been in business for a while (and i'm sure other group buy runners can attest to this), people will complain. the scope and validity of those complaints will vary. how you respond to them is what matters. don't let them affect you personally. especially when your personal life requires so much of you emotionally. accept they exist, and to the extent they are valid, do your best to address them. offering a refund is a nice gesture.

The problem is, whining about something doesn't do anything, except for maybe make YOU feel better. It doesn't change anything else. Nothing. GB runners and vendors are often at the mercy of the manufacturers. What you should be doing is complaining to them, instead of the middleman trying his hardest to get you your order. People have been whining about timelines in GBs for years, and guess what, it hasn't gotten any better. Know the risks of GBs when you enter them, that's what everyone needs to do. It's like complaining to your waitress that your food took too long to cook, when they didn't even make it, the cooks did. I've worked in customer service for 12 years, and it's that kind of mindset that makes everything such a pain in the ass.
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 August 2017, 20:52:33 by Quakemz »

Offline Quakemz

« Reply #2102 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 20:50:00 »
I trust jchan to get me a great product and that the quality will be held to high standards.  If it's not I know it will be fixed. That's why I was confident to join this GB. That still holds true

My only problem with this gb, and I think others would agree was the updated timelines you kept giving towards the end that weren't realistic. Personally id much rather just get a "hey there's going to be a month or so delay at least, I'm working my hardest but I can't give give a guarantee date due to real life events" I'd be okay with that. I just didn't like the oh it ships this Tuesday, then we don't hear anything for a week, then rinse repeat basically. Stuff like that just gets everyone's hopes up then they get crushed again. I think that's why most people were complaining so much.

Other then that Jchan do your thing man, family comes first and I can't wait to get this board and will still be joining future GBs run by you confidently. Have a good one man and hope things are getting better!

Yeah, this I can agree with. Jchan tends to be too positive, when he should just say it's gonna be a bit. I mean, he'll get hate either way, but I agree a more realistic update would be best. :)

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #2103 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 07:13:42 »
Got a bit of time this weekend to put my board together. Really chuffed with it so far (although I have a few grievances about plate, will have to email jchan to see if there are any solutions)

Hope jchan can get the rest of the boards out soon!

| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline bciamny

« Reply #2104 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 10:20:53 »

1. Certain people did receive theirs, but if you're thinking about targeting Brian, he asked me a long time ago to bring it for the Seattle meetup. I took a few up there as carry on luggage.

2. The only thing I'm asking for is patience while I'm currently split between the hospital and work. While it's important to you to get a keyboard, it's important for me to visit my family.

3. You're allowed to complain, of course, but I think that you should give me a little break as I'm currently in the middle of what I'd like to call a break down from the amount of life that I'm dealing with. So please, give me a moment to stabilize life, my emotional state, and the work.

I've been in the hospital more this year, than I have my whole life. And whether it means anything to you, but my family is every thing to me. They will always take priority over any work, or keyboard, or anything in between.

4. If you're so unsatisfied with waiting, please just take a refund. Everyday I'm at the hospital, I just read the comments of what I haven't been doing, but I can only do so much at this current state.

All the boards are in - I need time to pack them. When you look at the number of boards I already packed, you don't consider how much time it still takes to process all the boards.and yes, despite being a vendor, it still takes a lot of time to do this in way you'll be satisfied with the board you get. I don't have to work weekends to do this - but I do, because I know how excited people are. And I've been itching to get this out. I don't want this sitting in my office, anymore than you do. If you wanted to know how efficiently I've been able to pack one, it takes about 15 minutes with qc not including loading them for dhl or FedEx.

And of course, if you're not happy with the state of where this is at - you are always welcomed to taking a refund.

I hope everyone understands where I'm at right now. It's the weekend, but I hope you all have a good one, and can expect these to go out as soon as they can. Thanks for understanding, and I hope these matters get resolved soon.

I'm truly sorry, but again if you are not happy - please take the refund, PayPal fees are included as well.

to be clear, i'm not complaining about the state of the gb and haven't been even though it is frustrating to not have the kit yet. i get that things happen and personally i want things to go well for you in both your business and personal lives. i was merely responding to quakemz and this idea that people shouldn't complain based on the norm that group buys seem to rarely go according to plan. that's a failure of the community as a whole and shouldn't serve as an excuse which can perpetuate the phenomenon.

i can critique some of the choices you've made but i don't think that's useful or frankly healthy for you. but coming from someone who has been in business for a while (and i'm sure other group buy runners can attest to this), people will complain. the scope and validity of those complaints will vary. how you respond to them is what matters. don't let them affect you personally. especially when your personal life requires so much of you emotionally. accept they exist, and to the extent they are valid, do your best to address them. offering a refund is a nice gesture.

The problem is, whining about something doesn't do anything, except for maybe make YOU feel better. It doesn't change anything else. Nothing. GB runners and vendors are often at the mercy of the manufacturers. What you should be doing is complaining to them, instead of the middleman trying his hardest to get you your order. People have been whining about timelines in GBs for years, and guess what, it hasn't gotten any better. Know the risks of GBs when you enter them, that's what everyone needs to do. It's like complaining to your waitress that your food took too long to cook, when they didn't even make it, the cooks did. I've worked in customer service for 12 years, and it's that kind of mindset that makes everything such a pain in the ass.

i don't think you should discount the value of making oneself feel better. venting frustration is a valid emotional act.

and it communicates dissatisfaction with a certain process. it makes public that things aren't going the way it was expected. this allows others in the future (because of the posterity of threads) to determine whether they want to deal with similar issues in the future. i've watched many gbs lately run with delays and i've avoided certain gbs ran by certain groups because of past performance.

with your waiter analogy, you are the customer interface and if the customer can't express dissatisfaction it is almost as if they have no voice in expressing that frustration. you would purportedly let your manager know that customers complained or the cooks that the customers aren't happy. it'd be better if that happened than for you to "randomly" get no tip or a 2% tip with the issue remaining unknown and the enterprise suffering as a whole for it.

i'm contributing to derailing this thread so i'm going to stop after this response.

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #2105 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 14:28:39 »
i don't think you should discount the value of making oneself feel better. venting frustration is a valid emotional act.

and it communicates dissatisfaction with a certain process. it makes public that things aren't going the way it was expected. this allows others in the future (because of the posterity of threads) to determine whether they want to deal with similar issues in the future. i've watched many gbs lately run with delays and i've avoided certain gbs ran by certain groups because of past performance.

I don't think anyone was questioning the validity of blowing off steam... The point is you DON'T have to do it here. You can do it in email or pms, you can do it in chat rooms. To do it in public is NOT just a means to make yourself feel better, its a means to attack and belittle someone else to make yourself feel better. You gain nothing from trying to make a GB runner look bad in front of others.

What you seem to not grasp is, when you complain in a GB thread, intentional or not, what you are doing is attacking the GB runner and saying they are inadequate. So while there may be value in making oneself feel better, you need to ALSO consider there is a detriment to making OTHER PEOPLE feel worse, even if it WAS done to make yourself feel better. jchan is clearly already under a bunch of stress. He clearly is doing everything he can to get the boards out as fast as he can all while dealing with his own real life ****. You can't just pretend like there isn't a person on the other end. You cannot just ignore that you might be causing issues for other people to make yourself feel better.

It is one thing to complain when you have a LEGITIMATE concern. If you actually feel like you are not going to receive what you paid for, complain all day long, no one will fault you. But when you complain about delays because you are jealous of the people who already have received their boards and are posting online, you aren't helping anyone, you aren't benefiting anyone.

Do you think that only you are eager to get what you bought? Do you think the GB runner WANTS to make you wait? Do you think he's just a sadist?

Also you are fundamentally misunderstanding what quakemz point was. It is one thing to complain if you order a salad and it takes 2 hours to receive it, but if you order something that takes 10 minutes to cook and you got it in 11 minutes, you really don't have any ground to stand on. No matter how much you complain, it will NEVER EVER be there in less than 10 minutes because then the food just wouldn't be done, sure you could shave a few SECONDS by having the food LITERALLY run to your table, but that's it.

At the end of the day, jchan can only pack and ship so many boxes in a day, he can only fit so many in his vehicle, he can only deal with so much trash at once. Yes, M65 buyers are absolutely entitled to their keyboards, but so too are Grand Budapest and Muted and Camping buyers entitled to their caps. Would you like to go explain to all the people that bought all those things that they were delayed because the amazing M65 buyers are just sooo much more important that they have to wait because bciamny is sad?

Offline mnmlisme

« Reply #2106 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 17:13:48 »
any of you can no longer wait and want to sell instead, jet black matte and space grey, pls contact me :D
XD60 (gat.black) | SABER68 (gat.blue) | VORTEX Core (cherry blue) | YD40 (gatistotle)

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #2107 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 17:40:05 »
I swear some of y'all talk way too damn much.

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • Please email jchan@keyclack.com. PMs are disabled
    • KeyClack
« Reply #2108 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 18:31:19 »
M65-A-083
M65-A-0132
M65-A-0399
M65-A-0407
M65-A-0482
M65-A-0488
M65-A-0493

gets picked up tmr, cheers.
Support Email: support@keyclack.com

Did you miss something from us?

Offline kitchenace13

« Reply #2109 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 19:22:38 »
Best of luck JChan, as far as I'm concerned if you need to send me my keyboard in 6 months I'm cool with that.  Order #M65-A-138.  Great job man, customer service is a hard part in any job and you should still be really proud of what you've been able to accomplish IMO.

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #2110 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 20:27:11 »

Kinda the point of a text-based forum, else we'd all be shouting over each other on a voice channel instead.

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #2111 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 21:31:40 »

Kinda the point of a text-based forum, else we'd all be shouting over each other on a voice channel instead.

Not even close to what I mean. Good try tho

Offline Fitzpa

« Reply #2112 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 22:30:11 »
If anyone has the time could someone please post a picture of the mousepad?

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #2113 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 07:36:06 »
If anyone has the time could someone please post a picture of the mousepad?

Sorry, phone camera has terrible quality

Offline Kavik

« Reply #2114 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 09:21:57 »
M65-A-083
M65-A-0132
M65-A-0399
M65-A-0407
M65-A-0482
M65-A-0488
M65-A-0493

Yeah, boiiiiii. I'm in that list!
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline CamRank1

« Reply #2115 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 18:34:20 »
M65-A-083
M65-A-0132
M65-A-0399
M65-A-0407
M65-A-0482
M65-A-0488
M65-A-0493

This isn't me, but I'm very happy to see some more going out!

Offline aneasyusername

« Reply #2116 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 20:42:49 »
I have everything everything essential for my build, but I keep going back and forth on whether or not I want to pick up some lube and SIP sockets to add. These delays and the lack of shipment on my order make me lean towards ordering some, but then I have hope that mine will be in the next shipment and that I'd rather do my build as soon as possible instead of waiting on more pieces after my M65-A gets here. Decisions, decisions...

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #2117 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 20:47:33 »
I have everything everything essential for my build, but I keep going back and forth on whether or not I want to pick up some lube and SIP sockets to add. These delays and the lack of shipment on my order make me lean towards ordering some, but then I have hope that mine will be in the next shipment and that I'd rather do my build as soon as possible instead of waiting on more pieces after my M65-A gets here. Decisions, decisions...
Make it Right instead of making it Quick

Offline Aesomatica

« Reply #2118 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 22:18:53 »
Agree. This is a forever board. I just wish it were compatible with holtites.

Offline SwordLaker

« Reply #2119 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 23:21:53 »

Didn't buy a M65A, but GMK Muted. The thread was so terrifyingly quiet without update so long that I had to lurk around and find out what the heck was going on. Yup, and I found this post.

Let's just point out a couple of things:

Keyclack is a business vendor taking crowdfunded orders, with a professional website and order management. It takes a cut and earns profits for every successful run. Needless to say, the profits come from participants' wallets. When jchan94 decided to run this as a one-man business, he was cutting operating costs at the expense of possible delays and shortage of manpower. The risk is now simply taking its tolls.

As a fellow community member, I'm entirely sympathetic with jchan's situation, and wish him the best.

As a business customer, I'm darn unhappy. I paid jchan to get things for me. He took his cut, and he failed, because he thought he didn't need to hire someone else as a backup to keep things in schedule. Worse, I had to do my own PI souring to find out what is going on, without a single update email. I and every GB participant has every right to complain and bring salt over.

You guys need to get the idea right: vendors are businesses operating for bucks. Some of them do nice things and are friendly sometimes. But the end of day, they mostly do it for a buck. And I'm not talking about any single vendor here.

I could go on way longer, but let's leave it at that.

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #2120 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 00:04:03 »
More

Thanks for the update jchan. I'm in no rush, family is definitely more important. Hope things look up for you and yours soon :thumb:
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2121 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 00:05:30 »
More

Thanks for the update jchan. I'm in no rush, family is definitely more important. Hope things look up for you and yours soon :thumb:

^^

<3 you buddy
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #2122 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 00:15:25 »

Didn't buy a M65A, but GMK Muted. The thread was so terrifyingly quiet without update so long that I had to lurk around and find out what the heck was going on. Yup, and I found this post.

Keyclack is a business vendor taking crowdfunded orders, with a professional website and order management. It takes a cut and earns profits for every successful run. Needless to say, the profits come from participants' wallets. When jchan94 decided to run this as a one-man business, he was cutting operating costs at the expense of possible delays and shortage of manpower. The risk is now simply taking its tolls.

As a fellow community member, I'm entirely sympathetic with jchan's situation, and wish him the best.

As a business customer, I'm darn unhappy. I paid jchan to get things for me. He took his cut, and he failed, because he thought he didn't need to hire someone else as a backup to keep things in schedule. Worse, I had to do my own PI souring to find out what is going on, without a single update email. I and every GB participant has every right to complain and bring salt over.

You guys need to get the idea right: vendors are businesses operating for bucks. Some of them do nice things and are friendly sometimes. But the end of day, they mostly do it for a buck. And I'm not talking about any single vendor here.

Hi, thanks for your concern. I'm not going to defend myself, by stating some excuse, but let's talk about numbers.

I've never wanted to admit something, but here are some numbers for transparency, so you at least understand that I do some GBs for non-profit. I thought muted was a cool set, and I didn't think it would make it without a little push, and a better price point, so I put it near the edge. Muted was a special set. It was actually inspired a lot of Mewtwo rofl. But then I thought Mewtwo sounded silly.

Cost of GMK Muted (including customs, forwarding, paypal fees collected: 27106.8
Total collected from the GB: 26750

Net Profit: One Awesome set and I lost 356.8$ or so.

These numbers do not include:
- Sales tax (collected by the state, so they do not count)
- Shipping to end person (cause it's used for shipping).
- An hourly wage.

If I paid myself minimum wage, I'd say I would have to spend at least 60-80 hours organizing, customer service, packing stuff, and moving boxes.

Was it the best decision to make? Nah. It's completely stupid.
Then why do it? Because keycaps bro

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #2123 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 00:24:34 »
Anyways,

I've decided to flip out and quit keyboards. jk.

I'll be packing about 30 boards tomorrow.

My whole personal thing situation should be better by next week.

Thanks for understanding everyone  :)

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #2124 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 00:52:18 »
Anyways,

I've decided to flip out and quit keyboards. jk.

I'll be packing about 30 boards tomorrow.

My whole personal thing situation should be better by next week.

Thanks for understanding everyone  :)

Good to hear things looking better. m65-a 0493 needs to hurry to my casa :p

Offline SwordLaker

« Reply #2125 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 01:55:15 »

Hi, thanks for your concern. I'm not going to defend myself, by stating some excuse, but let's talk about numbers.

I've never wanted to admit something, but here are some numbers for transparency, so you at least understand that I do some GBs for non-profit. I thought muted was a cool set, and I didn't think it would make it without a little push, and a better price point, so I put it near the edge. Muted was a special set. It was actually inspired a lot of Mewtwo rofl. But then I thought Mewtwo sounded silly.

Cost of GMK Muted (including customs, forwarding, paypal fees collected: 27106.8
Total collected from the GB: 26750

Net Profit: One Awesome set and I lost 356.8$ or so.

These numbers do not include:
- Sales tax (collected by the state, so they do not count)
- Shipping to end person (cause it's used for shipping).
- An hourly wage.

If I paid myself minimum wage, I'd say I would have to spend at least 60-80 hours organizing, customer service, packing stuff, and moving boxes.

Was it the best decision to make? Nah. It's completely stupid.
Then why do it? Because keycaps bro

First of all, thanks for replying and not remaining silent.

I, however, want to query about the GMK Muted leftovers sale (which was opened once in May, and another recently with the popup store), with a markup. Shouldn't that help you recoup some of the cost?

I hope nobody will see this as a personal attack. I'm genuinely curious.

Offline delivery

« Reply #2126 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 03:27:13 »
#99 Plz

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #2127 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 05:01:45 »
Will there be a price difference between the first gb and the extras?

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #2128 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 05:11:50 »

yes

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #2129 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 05:13:09 »
Pretty shocked to see people *still* bent out of shape for what is a very smoothly run group buy.

Those complaining (the vocal minority) should be ashamed, for real.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Corgi Butts

« Reply #2130 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 05:40:00 »

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #2131 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 06:16:04 »

yes

Why?

Because he paid up front for them while GB orders were already paid for by the customers.

Offline SwordLaker

« Reply #2132 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 07:16:02 »

yes

Why?

The same reason people buy $120 from GB, wait, and sell the same thing for $180 on mechmarket. There's a demand from people who missed the GB.

During the course of a GB, plenty of people will lose interest and ask for refund. These will become the extras with outstanding invoices.

« Reply #2133 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 07:19:19 »

yes

Why?

The same reason people buy $120 from GB, wait, and sell the same thing for $180 on mechmarket. There's a demand from people who missed the GB.

During the course of a GB, plenty of people will lose interest and ask for refund. These will become the extras with outstanding invoices.

Can you quote JChan saying anything to support this?

Offline Corgi Butts

« Reply #2134 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 07:21:54 »

yes

Why?

Yea, so why would there be a markup over the original invoice price if they are cancelled orders being resold by the original seller?  Wouldn't Jchan just sell them at invoice price?  He's not a flipper, he's the organizer of the group buy.

Offline SwordLaker

« Reply #2135 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 07:49:05 »
First of all, I'm not quoting anyone to say these. The markup in the leftover extras is a fact (GMK Muted base set was sold for $180 recently at the pop-up store). These are very basic and common thinking of someone trading on the market.

There might be other reasons for that I'm not aware of. But I'm assuming this for now, considering it being something common and justifiable. I'll wait for a response from jchan himself.

But yeah, again, the markups are a fact. So are refunds in the course of a GB.

Edit: grammar.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 August 2017, 07:52:00 by SwordLaker »

« Reply #2136 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 08:00:51 »
First of all, I'm not quoting anyone to say these. The markup in the leftover extras is a fact (GMK Muted base set was sold for $180 recently at the pop-up store). These are very basic and common thinking of someone trading on the market.

There might be other reasons for that I'm not aware of. But I'm assuming this for now, considering it being something common and justifiable. I'll wait for a response from jchan himself.

Typically I only see markup in the resale market, not often do I see the creator sell their extras at markup. But I appreciate knowing you are just speculating and that JChan has not said anything to this effect. I'm curious to see how these extras end up pricing out.

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #2137 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 08:04:04 »

yes

Why?

Yea, so why would there be a markup over the original invoice price if they are cancelled orders being resold by the original seller?  Wouldn't Jchan just sell them at invoice price?  He's not a flipper, he's the organizer of the group buy.

Because jchan is running a business, not a charity. When he puts down 5k$ of his own money to buy 30 extra units or whatever those numbers might be, then he is making a simple investment and expects a return on it. Same as him buying extra units for keysets etc. This is his job, he makes a profit so he doesn't have to flip burgers while running these GB's.

Regarding not selling refunded at initial cost: Would you? When people are refunding near the end of the GB and you got spare cash in your bank account and the item is already in very high demand, it's an easy opportunity to make some extra dough. Nothing immoral or shady going on here IMO.

Offline Corgi Butts

« Reply #2138 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 08:08:13 »

yes

Why?

Because jchan is running a business, not a charity. When he puts down 5k$ of his own money to buy 30 extra units or whatever those numbers might be, then he is making a simple investment and expects a return on it. Same as him buying extra units for keysets etc. This is his job, he makes a profit so he doesn't have to flip burgers while running these GB's.

Regarding not selling refunded at initial cost: Would you? When people are refunding near the end of the GB and you got spare cash in your bank account and the item is already in very high demand, it's an easy opportunity to make some extra dough. Nothing immoral or shady going on here IMO.

I dunno.  I have run some group buys for stuff (non-keeb) in the past.  Nothing near this total cost, but I purchased the items in bulk myself, paid out of my own pocket, split the items into batches, and priced it at the lowest possible price I could in order to recoup my cost and end up with some of my own product at net 0 cost to me.  That was it.  I wasn't doing the GB to make a profit, I was doing it so that as many people as possible would have access to the product at the lowest possible price, myself included.  So when people bailed on their orders I didn't mark up the price, I just offered it to the next person on the list at my original price. 

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #2139 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 08:12:19 »

yes

Why?

I dunno.  I have run some group buys for stuff (non-keeb) in the past.  Nothing near this total cost, but I purchased the items in bulk myself, paid out of my own pocket, split the items into batches, and priced it at the lowest possible price I could in order to recoup my cost and end up with some of my own product at net 0 cost to me.  That was it.  I wasn't doing the GB to make a profit, I was doing it so that as many people as possible would have access to the product at the lowest possible price, myself included.  So when people bailed on their orders I didn't mark up the price, I just offered it to the next person on the list at my original price.

But you weren't running this GB to make a living, correct? jchan does, so having extra cash in the companies bank account is assuring he doesn't have to close doors if he has a drought.

I've purchased extra units for GMK Oblivion myself as well and am handing them off at buying price to a couple friends because I just enjoy making keysets, I didn't buy those to flip em on arrival. But I also have a day job that pays for my rent and stuff.

Offline Arallu

« Reply #2140 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 08:12:39 »
It's a trend in all crowdfunding. Don't think of it as a markup, think of the GB price as a discount for those that helped meet the moq and got the item made.
Look at any kickstarter with early bird pricing and they are giving discounts for supporting a project early, pretty much the same thing happens.

« Reply #2141 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 08:14:21 »
But you weren't running this GB to make a living, correct? jchan does, so having extra cash in the companies bank account is assuring he doesn't have to close doors if he has a drought.
I've purchased extra units for GMK Oblivion myself as well and am handing them off at buying price to a couple friends because I just enjoy making keysets, I didn't buy those to flip em on arrival. But I also have a day job that pays for my rent and stuff.

This makes total sense, especially after seeing the numbers that JChan has been working with on the financial side. I'm curious to see where the prices end up. I wasn't in a place financially to get in initially, I'm hoping the extra's won't be priced out of my budget.

Offline SwordLaker

« Reply #2142 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 08:40:14 »

This makes total sense, especially after seeing the numbers that JChan has been working with on the financial side. I'm curious to see where the prices end up. I wasn't in a place financially to get in initially, I'm hoping the extra's won't be priced out of my budget.

The last extra was already $180. Don't expect any less for the next bath of extra.

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #2143 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 08:42:31 »

Typically I only see markup in the resale market, not often do I see the creator sell their extras at markup. But I appreciate knowing you are just speculating and that JChan has not said anything to this effect. I'm curious to see how these extras end up pricing out.

Actually this is not the case. Vendors very often sell sets at a markup. Look at GMK sets on Oco, they all have a markup to $180. The Key Company sold leftover Terminal sets at a markup. Zfrontier sells leftover sets at a markup. Jchan sells leftover sets at a markup. It's pretty much the norm, not the exception.

Even Massdrop sells leftover sets at a markup during their stock clearance sale (GMK carbon was $99 during the group buy, but got marked up by a decent amount in their last closet sale)

Perhaps you've been been in this hobby longer than I have (I've only really been into the keycap side of this hobby for about 2 years), but as far as memory serves, markup for post-GB sales are the norm.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #2144 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 09:04:42 »
If extras weren't marked up, everyone would just wait until the project completed to buy the product because there's zero risk in that. There would be no incentive to fund it from the beginning, meaning it would never happen unless the GB runner had tons of cash to front. That works for big companies with R&D budgets, but not for small projects like this run by just a few people.

Basically, you're getting a discount for taking a risk, and people buying extras pay full retail because they have a 100% probability of getting a finished product whose quality is already known.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

« Reply #2145 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 09:15:15 »

Actually this is not the case. Vendors very often sell sets at a markup. Look at GMK sets on Oco, they all have a markup to $180. The Key Company sold leftover Terminal sets at a markup. Zfrontier sells leftover sets at a markup. Jchan sells leftover sets at a markup. It's pretty much the norm, not the exception.

Even Massdrop sells leftover sets at a markup during their stock clearance sale (GMK carbon was $99 during the group buy, but got marked up by a decent amount in their last closet sale)

Perhaps you've been been in this hobby longer than I have (I've only really been into the keycap side of this hobby for about 2 years), but as far as memory serves, markup for post-GB sales are the norm.
I'm not talking about keycaps

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #2146 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 09:26:30 »

yes

Why?

But he has to cover the group buy price for that cancelled order out of his own pocket, and as a vendor he is obviously going to sell post-groupbuy sets at retail/markup prices rather than the groupbuy price, that was a perk for crowdfund people who helped make it possible in the first place (groupbuy to present to vendor).

Offline kitchenace13

« Reply #2147 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 10:02:11 »

You know you should really read the stickied "What is a group buy" thread https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=77272.0.  It states explicitly - "...it takes months, sometimes a year+ for group buys to complete.  Be prepared to wait."

You're going to keep being unhappy entering groupbuys and expecting 100% delivery, 100% on time.  This isn't Amazon but you're welcome to shop there.

Offline robbles

« Reply #2148 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 10:38:21 »
Everyone salty about how jchan has "handled" the group buy should definitely go away and never participate in one of his groupbuys again. More room in the gb for the rest of us  :thumb:

Anyone else have any pics of their build!?
How does one become so interested in a thing like keyboards? When you realize you use a keyboard more than any other tool in your life.

Offline davisthegreat

• 3DKeebs
« Reply #2149 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 11:37:46 »
Patience is really a virtue. Not to mention all the GB disclaimers that are posted. Yall would be TOO upset if the Consistent GB runners, like Jchan just quit because of some of you whining about week extensions. Jchan has communicated and remained transparent. GB's though Keyclack have always been A1. When issues arise they were communicated.

I check the thread for shipping updates, but yall's incessant whining is killing the vibe of such a great GB. We should be discussing our plans for what looks to be a very rare KB.

Dear JCHAN: You are the bomb, keep your head up and know that a majority of us appreciate your work and diligence to get these products out to us.