Author Topic: [GB] M65-A | Made with RAMA.WORKS (Complete)  (Read 869664 times)

Offline jjwax

Re: [GB] M65-A | Made with RAMA.WORKS
« Reply #3050 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 00:13:25 »
On day 1, he packed and shipped 29 boards. This could be over in 2 days of good, solid work.

My suspicion is that there are problems with the remaining boards, and that he is waiting for replacements.

Because if it isn't that, the only other explanation I can think of is that he is too depressed to send them out.

In any case, three emails to support@keyclack.com and multiple posts I've made here have gone unanswered.

I love Rama's design, but this has been pretty poorly handled in terms of customer support and transparency.

I've got my M65-A, and it is truly a spectacular board. That being said, what is going on with missed (self imposed) promises and deadlines over and over again?  The only thing we hear about is QC and some logistical stuff - but this has dragged on for a year now!

At this point, anything jchan says will be met with criticism, but it's gotta be time to cut your losses and fess up to whatever is really going on with the remaining boards.  I really feel for those still waiting, especially when new GB are being launched (looking at you, topre domes) - it's really frustrating.

I really hope the markup on the extras isn't outrageous (if they ever happen), because that would be a punch in the gut if he sells them for $400+, considering how much jchan has been steering anyone with gripes to a refund.

Jchan - your board is outstanding, real endgame material - but this group buy has been miserable.

Offline kolashnikov

« Reply #3051 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 06:13:22 »
Guys, tried to flash my M65 qmk pcb and encountered a weird behavior:
The KC_ESC and KC_GRV key are somehow swapped.

Spent like two hours to figure that out! Any idea?

could be the same issue that was just discussed. "swap_grave_esc" is a bootmagic toggle. you might try programming "MAGIC_UNSWAP_GRAVE_ESC" to a key and see if hitting that returns ESC and GRV to normal.

Offline energyd

« Reply #3052 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 08:12:01 »
Guys, tried to flash my M65 qmk pcb and encountered a weird behavior:
The KC_ESC and KC_GRV key are somehow swapped.

Spent like two hours to figure that out! Any idea?

could be the same issue that was just discussed. "swap_grave_esc" is a bootmagic toggle. you might try programming "MAGIC_UNSWAP_GRAVE_ESC" to a key and see if hitting that returns ESC and GRV to normal.

That's exactly what happened!  Didn't know that it's turned on and the bootmagic feature was off.

Issue resolved. Thx!

Offline sparrows89

« Reply #3053 on: Fri, 29 December 2017, 15:14:55 »
Hi, the M65 is my first keyboard and this is my first post! I put mine together after just recently getting it, but I think mine has a defective PCB. Certain keys are always registered together, and it's down one column of the keyboard. The ones I'm having issues with are 0 and -, p and [ , ; and ' , / and right shift. To me, it seems like it'd be a electrical issue, but even after reflowing a few diodes and resistors the issues still exists. Furthermore, I've tinkered with the firmware a bit, swapping out mappings and such, and the same issue always happens. If somebody knows a fix, or how to get in touch for a PCB and plate replacement, I'd appreciate it.

Offline Valaris

« Reply #3054 on: Fri, 29 December 2017, 15:30:23 »

I just wanted to post mine after I fixed my soldering **** up.  Couldn't be happier.
I call it Project Afterburner.

« Reply #3055 on: Fri, 29 December 2017, 15:48:05 »
Hi, the M65 is my first keyboard and this is my first post! I put mine together after just recently getting it, but I think mine has a defective PCB. Certain keys are always registered together, and it's down one column of the keyboard. The ones I'm having issues with are 0 and -, p and [ , ; and ' , / and right shift. To me, it seems like it'd be a electrical issue, but even after reflowing a few diodes and resistors the issues still exists. Furthermore, I've tinkered with the firmware a bit, swapping out mappings and such, and the same issue always happens. If somebody knows a fix, or how to get in touch for a PCB and plate replacement, I'd appreciate it.
That sounds like a broken trace, you probably could fix it with a jump wire, but you'd need someone more qualified then me to figure out where to put the jump

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3056 on: Fri, 29 December 2017, 16:02:05 »

If multiple are registered together there is most likely one spot of solder touching multiple switch pads or perhaps a diode.  Basically a short.

I’ve also had this issue with screw in stabilizers where the screw was touching a switch pad.  Can you upload a photo or two of your pcb for us to help troubleshoot? Will need closeup shots

« Reply #3057 on: Fri, 29 December 2017, 16:07:08 »

If multiple are registered together there is most likely one spot of solder touching multiple switch pads or perhaps a diode.  Basically a short.

I’ve also had this issue with screw in stabilizers where the screw was touching a switch pad.  Can you upload a photo or two of your pcb for us to help troubleshoot? Will need closeup shots
Oops I miss read your comment, this guy is totally right

Offline sparrows89

« Reply #3058 on: Fri, 29 December 2017, 17:59:20 »
Thanks for the advice, everybody. I went and checked my soldering, but it looks like nothing had made an accidental bridge. I'll post a full picture of the board tomorrow though, since the lighting is abysmal at night where I am. I also did a bit of a sanity check and looked through things with a multimeter too and I did notice  that there's continuity between all the switches I'm having issues with, which hints that maybe there's a diode the wrong way or something is left open when it should be closed.

Offline kolashnikov

« Reply #3059 on: Fri, 29 December 2017, 18:26:49 »
Thanks for the advice, everybody. I went and checked my soldering, but it looks like nothing had made an accidental bridge. I'll post a full picture of the board tomorrow though, since the lighting is abysmal at night where I am. I also did a bit of a sanity check and looked through things with a multimeter too and I did notice  that there's continuity between all the switches I'm having issues with, which hints that maybe there's a diode the wrong way or something is left open when it should be closed.

As others said, it's possible to see that behavior when screw-in stabilizers short some contact patches. If there is a screw-in stab near that row, try removing just the screw (no need to take the whole stabilizer out) and measure continuity again. I noticed that the screw from my zeal stabs was touching two contact patches on the PCB when I was building too. I preemptively put some plastic down under the screw to prevent any potential shorts.

Offline cooperred

« Reply #3060 on: Fri, 29 December 2017, 18:36:22 »

Mine has a similar problem. This reddit post helped me out. I'm holding out for a PCB replacement

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/1zqqvk/guide_how_i_fixed_my_mechanical_keyboard_pcb/

Offline Kavik

« Reply #3061 on: Sat, 30 December 2017, 20:54:54 »
Has anyone installed holtites on an M65-A? I'm thinking of changing my bottom row layout, but, if I'm going to desolder everything, I'd like to put some holtites in it to ease the process if I need to change it again later on.

I think I remember someone's saying that it wasn't possible to use holtites on this keyboard, but I'm just double-checking (I don't have any to test with at the moment).
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline Rafa_n

« Reply #3062 on: Sun, 31 December 2017, 07:50:17 »
So can we get an update on this or nah?

last post from jchan on this thread was more than 2 weeks ago...

« Reply #3063 on: Sun, 31 December 2017, 07:59:40 »

I'm not expecting to hear anything until at least Tuesday. Have a feeling JChan took the holidays off. Hopefully he comes back rested and ready to finish this all off.

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #3064 on: Sun, 31 December 2017, 16:49:24 »

I'm not expecting to hear anything until at least Tuesday. Have a feeling JChan took the holidays off. Hopefully he comes back rested and ready to finish this all off.
Ditto. An update would be appreciated since jchan keeps setting deadlines for himself and missing them wildy though...
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline purrito

• mmm...spicy
« Reply #3065 on: Sun, 31 December 2017, 17:56:01 »

Ditto. An update would be appreciated since jchan keeps setting deadlines for himself and missing them wildy though...
My partner now has a running joke about me getting "scammed out of my birthday gift to myself." I was born in April, so the joke is getting just a little bit tired. Jchan, if nothing else, please ship so I can prove my partner wrong

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

GMK Carbon Zealios B.mini | Matias QC Let's Split | Overcast DSA Zealios Planck | DangerZone MX Red Pok3r

Offline Quackles

« Reply #3066 on: Sun, 31 December 2017, 20:25:42 »
Last email communication I had with them was on the 17th of December. Was returning the nylon part as it had a defect. They told me to send it back to them and provided an address, so I did and it arrived almost a week ago. They haven't acknowledged the return and haven't replied to anything since the first time (they were replying to my emails minutes after I sent one when we were trying to fix the problem, but now all of a sudden nothing). So now I am not sure what is going on. I'd prefer any kind of communication, even if it is telling me that I have to wait a month more for the new part etc.

The only hope I have left is that Keyclack and Jchan are reputable in our community, so I am hoping that everything will be resolved and people get their keyboards. But the lack of updates and communication wasn't something I expected from Keyclack.

Offline childofthehorn

« Reply #3067 on: Mon, 01 January 2018, 18:20:26 »
Those with the QMK JC65 Board you may have noticed that the LED for Caps Lock was not working, so I wrote it in and made a pull request which also has my keymap.

Pull Request which has the code for the CapsLock LED :
https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/pull/2210

Photos of my build (wih leds full on and off):
- Elvish SA PBT set
- Holtites on everything and soldered in

Offline sixdeuces

• DIYKeyboards.com
« Reply #3068 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 07:39:18 »
- Holtites on everything and soldered in

I thought this board wasn't holtite-compatible. How did this go for you? Any snags to watch out for? Would be awesome to have that ability, so I'm definitely curious to hear how it went before digging into my build. Thanks!

Edit: Board looks great, btw!
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 January 2018, 09:09:27 by sixdeuces »

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #3069 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 09:36:29 »

I thought this board wasn't holtite-compatible. How did this go for you? Any snags to watch out for? Would be awesome to have that ability, so I'm definitely curious to hear how it went before digging into my build.

I'm not the one you asked but I did the same and regret it.

First off, you can't jjust push holtites in like you normally would, you have to solder them in. After spending way too much time doing it in a bad way I found out that the easiest way is just to fill every hole with solder, use a solder sucker to suck it out and then push them in with an iron.

Be VERY VERY careful with the halfpads as they are extremely flimsy on this PCB (at least they were on mine, rip my pipe and split backspace locations).

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3070 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 09:47:42 »
Couldn’t you just put holtites on the switch legs, assemble through plate, solder to pcb, then remove switches if needed?   

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #3071 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 13:24:15 »
Couldn’t you just put holtites on the switch legs, assemble through plate, solder to pcb, then remove switches if needed?

No, the solder would seep into the holtites and solder both the holtites to the PCB and the switchlegs to the holtites which makes desoldering a royal pain in the butt.

Offline sixdeuces

• DIYKeyboards.com
« Reply #3072 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 13:30:51 »
Thanks for the input. I think I'll probably just pick up another PCB at some point for when I feel like, ahem, switching it up.

Offline childofthehorn

« Reply #3073 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 13:49:53 »
I found that the best way was to put a thin layer of paste flux on each pad, then place each one and very gently solder just the tops.

I had to do the same on the Zeal60 I finished this week as well.

Even though I bothered to solder in the LED holtites as well which was far worse to do, they do not hold the led legs as well as I would like and would suggest just doing SIP sockets and RGB compatible switches. Still, I don't find myself using the LEDs even though I painstakingly installed and cut legs for each one. It looks much nicer with the subtle back grow through the clear swicthes. These Otemu Ice tactiles are killer and I like them a bit better than zealios even just for the wobble. Bump is more, just as smooth, less than half the cost, and a softer landing making it a nice inbetween for those who like Topre.

Offline CamRank1

« Reply #3074 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 17:07:01 »
Still waiting for an update on the remaining boards that have yet to be shipped.

I paid for this on January 13th, 2017. It's been almost a year lol

Offline breitling

« Reply #3075 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 18:23:04 »
patiently waiting for my board too.. i think i should buy a lottery ticket if mine is the last board shipped!

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #3076 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 03:23:44 »
Be VERY VERY careful with the halfpads as they are extremely flimsy on this PCB (at least they were on mine, rip my pipe and split backspace locations).

Does that explain why I ripped out a pad when I had to desolder a switch?

pls gief bbv2

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #3077 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 08:02:22 »

Does that explain why I ripped out a pad when I had to desolder a switch?

It's possible that the normal pads also are a bit more fragile than usual. It wasn't my first time putting holtites in a PCB with halfpads either and it didn't require a lot of effort to get ripped out at all.

Offline childofthehorn

« Reply #3078 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 17:07:22 »
Epoxy..... you can buyz it at the dolla storurh

Offline Feivis

« Reply #3079 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 19:34:28 »
Still waiting for an update on the remaining boards that have yet to be shipped.

I paid for this on January 13th, 2017. It's been almost a year lol

Me2...(January 13th, 2017)

Offline pon10

• looking at my keycaps..
« Reply #3080 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 12:49:54 »
53 / 448 are left.

Please ship the remaining boards :thumb: or give us realistic  information whats the plan now with the remaining boards

Offline Malenky

« Reply #3081 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 20:18:37 »
Last update 12th December.

At this point, coming up to a year since payment, those of us still waiting on this board deserve to know the whole truth.

Offline Sarillexis

« Reply #3082 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 20:24:34 »
I'm one of the 53, and I just received a shipping notification from jchan. Things are moving! Hopefully the Christmas break helped him get some much needed R&R.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3083 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 20:51:24 »
I’m also am one of the last few and just got shipping notice.

« Reply #3084 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 21:05:30 »
Just got my shipping notification as well.

Offline Captainbuttmonkey

« Reply #3085 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 21:09:53 »
+1

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • Please email jchan@keyclack.com. PMs are disabled
    • KeyClack
« Reply #3086 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 21:14:49 »
Hi everyone,

Happy new year, and I'm very sorry I've been away.

During winter, I was away in the mountains for a little while without signal, as per a family trip.

Over the break, a bunch of units came back from the manufacturer that were to replace issues that I found earlier (anodization issue update thing).

I'm just about done with inspecting all the new units, and found a few issues with a few of them already which is unfortunate.

--

Anyways, I've packed a bunch of units today and they'll be going out tomorrow.

We're almost there, and thanks for your patience.

--

Lastly, to note, I don't think I'm up for hosting another "group buy" for a while. I think it's just taken too much out of me.

Cheers and again, happy new years and again, thanks for your patience.

--

If anyone is interested, this is one of things I have to deal with at the moment, which really urks me.

Top piece (new replacements)

Bottom piece (old Hydro blue).

Support Email: support@keyclack.com

Did you miss something from us?

Offline Malenky

« Reply #3087 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 22:00:34 »
We've been almost there for months. How many are going out? How many are you going to have to replace (again)? How many do you expect to pack a day? If the anodising issues are smaller cosmetics issues, is there an option to get our boards rather than wait potentially months, again?

Offline fancymans

« Reply #3088 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 22:26:45 »
Anyone running on QMK have issues with waking up their PC from sleep? Mine doesn't wake up my PC and I even have to unplug/replug it to work again after waking my PC with my mouse. I just dealt with it for a while but it's starting to annoy me now so I want to try to fix it if I can.
Realforce 87U 55g 10th Silenced | HHKB Silenced | FC660C

Offline breitling

« Reply #3089 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 23:13:07 »
I got my shipping info today too.

« Reply #3090 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 23:21:14 »
Me too, Woohoo

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #3091 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 00:48:54 »
yep, looks like another wave went out...

how long for you Europe guys to receive it? Hoping it'll arrive in time for me to have it ready for the next CH meetup

Offline wongie

« Reply #3092 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 03:31:20 »
how long for you Europe guys to receive it? Hoping it'll arrive in time for me to have it ready for the next CH meetup

UK here and I received mine back in mid December. JChan isn't sending them out in any specific order, I believe he was and presumably still is just sending them out as he takes em off the crates.

Offline rioc

« Reply #3093 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 03:39:04 »

UK here and I received mine back in mid December. JChan isn't sending them out in any specific order, I believe he was and presumably still is just sending them out as he takes em off the crates.

ah, no, I know that, I meant how long did it take you from receiving your tracking info until it arrived? (actual shipping time, not overall waiting time) ;)

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #3094 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 03:43:50 »

ah, no, I know that, I meant how long did it take you from receiving your tracking info until it arrived? (actual shipping time, not overall waiting time) ;)

Mine shipped to Belgium and took about two weeks I think? It spent about a week at customs too. Shipping went fairly fast.
pls gief bbv2

Offline msilvv

« Reply #3095 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 03:53:11 »
really hoping I can see that shipping notification in the next few days or at least that it's shipped in time for me to come home and build it after I finish up finals... Guess it's just a matter of time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline rioc

« Reply #3096 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 03:56:38 »

Mine shipped to Belgium and took about two weeks I think? It spent about a week at customs too. Shipping went fairly fast.

that's great :)

I wonder if I'll see any other M65s at the CH meetup :)

Offline eyedrop

« Reply #3097 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 00:31:56 »
Happy Birthday, jchan!!

Offline Aesomatica

« Reply #3098 on: Tue, 09 January 2018, 18:05:33 »
Just so I ask some questions I think we all want answers to:

Why did you tell us that none of the original units needed replacement when they did, in fact, need replacements?

Are you now saying that the boards that were supposed to provide replacements are not good, and in fact you won't be able to complete this groupbuy anytime soon?

Please just like... ship one board a day... anything.

There are less than 53 boards left. You should know exactly who the recipients of those boards are. Please email those people with the details of the product they purchased from you.

I'll type it out for you:

Hi NAME!

Your M65, order number XXX is here with me. I have looked through the box and ensured that the anodization job looks good and all the parts are there. I haven't ordered a pickup from the post office yet because I have not repackaged your board. Rest assured, I will ship it out by DD MMM. Please send an email to supportatkeyclackdotcom if you don't see a shipment notice by that date. Here is a picture of the board, getting ready to package it.

Sincerely, JChan

OR

Hi NAME!

Your M65, order number XXX is here with me. Unfortunately, upon inspection, it looks like there are problems with the anodization and I will need to send it back to the anodization factory in China. This will take approximately XX days and I will send you an update once they let me know the board has arrived and when they send it back to me. If you haven't heard from me by DD MMM,  I understand that you have put at least 300 dollars toward this keyboard and you have my assurance that I am managing this to the best of my ability. Here is a picture of the board, just so you know I'm not making things up.

Sincerely, JChan

Just make it manageable for yourself and be consistent. I'm almost definitely sure that someone in that area could come provide free labor to help you out.

Offline Seitenryu

« Reply #3099 on: Tue, 09 January 2018, 23:53:22 »
Just so I ask some questions I think we all want answers to:

Why did you tell us that none of the original units needed replacement when they did, in fact, need replacements?.....

.....provide free labor to help you out.
I'm wondering about that myself, since I picked gold, which seems to be a rather uncommon choice. If the ano is bad, I'd love to know, so I can stop wringing my hands and patiently wait for the fix. Maybe even stick something on my calendar months out. The delay has gone past frustrating, to just plain mystifying. The only reasonable explanation seems be many more finish issues than anticipated, possibly repeat issues with certain colors. I just can't think PCBs could be to blame, since those are produced in bulk, with likely many extras.

I unpack, estimate, repair, and ship products on a regular basis, and the shipping isn't hard. I'm at a loss for why nobody is allowed to help. Maybe it's a convenient kick the can excuse, we've all been there. Throw some beers around and make it happen, right?

I feel like I'm waiting out of stubbornness now. Well, that and the fact that the Camp Pad GB had gold to match. Sort of stuck now.

Jchan, these boards are hot, but it feels like an awkward silence around here sometimes. Can you give us the whole scoop? You say there are issues, then slightly resolve them, then go incommunicado for weeks. I'm not mad, just very curious and slightly confused. Are you okay? Is there more going on than you can handle or something?