Author Topic: Aluminium TKL Case - TEK-80 - CAD Files inside!  (Read 159468 times)

Offline cyberwave

Re: Aluminium Filco/Phantom Case - 7bit and winkeyless
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 11:21:58 »
no prob!  :D

can't wait for this case :o

Offline cobraj

« Reply #101 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 01:46:42 »
Ooooooft.
Looks impressive.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #102 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 02:42:53 »
Looks nice Photekq. Just keep in mind that every detail you add will increase price. So that extra ledge for stock Filco plate is considered a detail. Also while you design it, keep in mind the tooling required to actually mill it out. For example, I don't think it's possible to have perfect sharp right angles on the inside corners because the milling bits are rounded. You'll need rounded corners, aka fillets in the design. Try to keep fillets the same sizes too so during manufacturing, it won't require a tool change, which will probably decrease costs.

current universal plates already have trouble fitting costar stabilisers properly due to its thickness :(

if your plate is even thicker than that, i doubt costar stabilisers can be used :(
I see.. No wonder WFD sanded the stabiliser holes down for me. Right, well, the plate won't be 2mm anymore. It'll probably be closer to 1.5. I'll look more into this - thanks for letting me know.

Yeah for the later wave of plates I sent out, I filed down the costar slot if you filled out the form for any keyboard that uses costar stabilizers. 1.5mm should be perfect. It's too bad that US uses the gauge system for standard thickness, so there were no sheet metal places that had 0.060", only 0.0625".

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #103 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 07:45:04 »
Looks nice Photekq. Just keep in mind that every detail you add will increase price. So that extra ledge for stock Filco plate is considered a detail. Also while you design it, keep in mind the tooling required to actually mill it out. For example, I don't think it's possible to have perfect sharp right angles on the inside corners because the milling bits are rounded. You'll need rounded corners, aka fillets in the design. Try to keep fillets the same sizes too so during manufacturing, it won't require a tool change, which will probably decrease costs.

current universal plates already have trouble fitting costar stabilisers properly due to its thickness :(

if your plate is even thicker than that, i doubt costar stabilisers can be used :(
I see.. No wonder WFD sanded the stabiliser holes down for me. Right, well, the plate won't be 2mm anymore. It'll probably be closer to 1.5. I'll look more into this - thanks for letting me know.

Yeah for the later wave of plates I sent out, I filed down the costar slot if you filled out the form for any keyboard that uses costar stabilizers. 1.5mm should be perfect. It's too bad that US uses the gauge system for standard thickness, so there were no sheet metal places that had 0.060", only 0.0625".

I'm going to keep all the features in and see what it will cost. If it's too high then I will have to remove some stuff, but I would like to keep as many features in as possible. Also, do you really think those platforms would increase the cost? I would've thought they would have decreased the cost since it's less aluminium that needs to be removed.

And yeah, I found out about the fact that all internal corners need to have a radius a week or two ago. It'll all depend on where I get it made - if they have bits with a low enough radius it'll be fine, but if they don't then I'll have to add circles at the edges like the Vortex case.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #104 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 07:53:59 »
Think about it this way Photekq. If you have a platform, that means there's going to be a dimension associated. That means someone has to mill/machine it out. And then someone else has to measure it. So now you have to pay 2 extra people at least just to get it. WFD is right, every single detail you have will add to the cost.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #105 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 13:46:28 »
Think about it this way Photekq. If you have a platform, that means there's going to be a dimension associated. That means someone has to mill/machine it out. And then someone else has to measure it. So now you have to pay 2 extra people at least just to get it. WFD is right, every single detail you have will add to the cost.
You're right.. I didn't think of it like that. I was thinking that entering a few more pieces of code into the routing would take less time than the time it would take for a milling machine to cut out those extra pieces of aluminium.
github

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #106 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 17:31:38 »
I know this thread's been dead for a while now but I thought I'd make some updates for those who are interested.

1. Core design is 100% done.
2. I have found a place to get the prototype made.
3. I've been quoted between £300 and £450 for the prototype (not including the plate). This is just about affordable for me at the moment.
4. I can't get the prototype made until early July due to my GCSE exams.
5. Platforms for stock Filco plate may not be in the final design. Please post here if you would genuinely use the stock plate over a custom plate that mounts better and allows you to remove the top half of switches without desoldering. I don't have quotes on the plates yet but I doubt they would be too pricey.
6. There is a possibility of the object in the picture below making an appearance in the prototype. If I ever make more then it won't be there in order to cut down the price. All depends on how much it will add to the costs - I would personally love to have it in the design so if it's within my budget I will put it in. Any guesses what it is?
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 May 2013, 17:59:11 by Photekq »
github

Offline Acanthophis

« Reply #107 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 17:49:07 »
Any guesses what it is?
A heavier metal alloy than aluminium for additional weight inside the bottom tray of the case?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #108 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 17:51:49 »
yeah, brass
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #109 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 17:53:52 »
Any guesses what it is?
A heavier metal alloy than aluminium for additional weight inside the bottom tray of the case?
I made it too easy, didn't I?

Oh, and I forgot to put in the update post that there's only a possibility of it being in the prototype. If more ever get made the brass/stainless steel plate won't be implemented.
github

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #110 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 18:06:27 »
Brass weight like the 356CL!

I think the custom plates with the solderless switch design is a better idea vs the Filco plate. And I'm loving that design mang. Nice work mate :D

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #111 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 18:23:40 »
Brass weight like the 356CL!

I think the custom plates with the solderless switch design is a better idea vs the Filco plate. And I'm loving that design mang. Nice work mate :D
Thanks man! It actually was the 356CL that inspired me to put it in. I was looking at it for about the 1000th time the other day and thought : Man I've gotta put an awesome brass plate like that in the prototype.
github

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #112 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 06:06:04 »
Ahaha, I do the same thing. Prolly check out the 356 boards once a week.

Offline korrelate

• iubeo stultum esse libenter
« Reply #113 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 10:46:49 »
I didn't say it was better than USB, just that it was better than mini USB. Although I do think it is better than USB because it is a smaller and cleaner connection. But it's better than mini because it's smaller, sturdier, and has a higher disconnect capability than mini.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus#Mini_and_Micro_connectors
Regular size USB doesn't work since it's so damned big, not easy to stick in a keyboard where you have minimal bezel size.

mini USB can be painful because you are supposed to engineer the housing to supply the vast majority of physical support.

micro USB provides some improvement to mini, but primarily by making it easier for the housing to provide the physical support.

Thanks. I'll look into it further. From what you've said micro sounds great.

Just a quick idea here: I found a site through GH that sells custom cables (can't remember the name) but one of the things that really stuck out here was a quick-disconnect option that he seems to be selling. The idea is basically: run usb-to-QuickDisconnect from the interior of the case to the exterior and then let the user pick the connection he would like; quick-disconnect to USB, microUSB or miniUSB (or even PS/2)?

If at all possible, I'd have to say this idea has some real legs. The MTBF of a USB connection can't be anywhere near the MTBF of the Quick Disconnect.

Topre REALFORCE

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #114 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 10:50:19 »

Just a quick idea here: I found a site through GH that sells custom cables (can't remember the name) but one of the things that really stuck out here was a quick-disconnect option that he seems to be selling. The idea is basically: run usb-to-QuickDisconnect from the interior of the case to the exterior and then let the user pick the connection he would like; quick-disconnect to USB, microUSB or miniUSB (or even PS/2)?

If at all possible, I'd have to say this idea has some real legs. The MTBF of a USB connection can't be anywhere near the MTBF of the Quick Disconnect.
Thanks for the feedback but the USB mounting is completely set in stone. A breakoutboard screwed directly into the case will be solid and I'm very happy with the current USB design.

Also, having a micro usb port is a much more elegant solution. It may give people less options but I'm confident that everyone will be happy with micro usb.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 May 2013, 10:54:19 by Photekq »
github

Offline ishtob

« Reply #115 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 23:07:03 »
I've also read that micro usb is able to take a lot more stress than mini usb ports

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #116 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 05:37:17 »
I've also read that micro usb is able to take a lot more stress than mini usb ports
That's a bonus but I mainly chose it due to the fact that the cable won't come out unless you want it to. The same can't really be said for mini usb.
github

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #117 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 05:52:30 »
Any guesses what it is?

This was the riddle of the century. What screws down to the bottom, adds weight, and brass colored?

It can't be a brass plate. It must be keycaps  ^-^

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #118 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 06:27:07 »
Any guesses what it is?

This was the riddle of the century. What screws down to the bottom, adds weight, and brass colored?

It can't be a brass plate. It must be keycaps  ^-^
Hahaha.. I shouldn't have made it brass coloured. It's blatantly obvious that it is in fact the elusive case-sized brass keycap.
github

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #119 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 10:24:33 »
How's it going with this case?
Sorry if it's been answered before in the thread.
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #120 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 10:32:44 »
How's it going with this case?
Sorry if it's been answered before in the thread.
Design is done and I have found a place to machine it. Prototype will be costing me between £150-300 for the machining and around £100 for materials. I'm literally just waiting until my GCSE exams are over and then I'll concentrate on getting the prototype made.

I haven't actually posted any pictures of the case itself in a while, so here are a few. It should give a good idea of how it's going to look.

github

Offline rindorbrot

« Reply #121 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 10:40:08 »
I want it now!!!

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #122 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 10:49:01 »
I want it now!!!
I do too, man. This case is the first component of my dream keyboard. Unfortunately we've just got to be patient :(
github

Offline rindorbrot

« Reply #123 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 10:52:49 »
I know that I have to wait :(

Have you decided, which color options will be available?
And what about plate layouts, can we get some one of a kind ones?

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #124 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 11:00:33 »
I know that I have to wait :(

Have you decided, which color options will be available?
And what about plate layouts, can we get some one of a kind ones?
Anything is possible just remember that lower quantities costs more. I'm happy to design any plate layouts and have them made as long as you pay what it costs me. Anodising options will come at a later date since I haven't yet found a place to get anodising done and colours vary from company to company.
github

Offline dirge

« Reply #125 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 04:35:39 »
The front elevation is quite high, My vortex is only 2.2mm'ish
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #126 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 05:39:36 »
The front elevation is quite high, My vortex is only 2.2mm'ish
You're right. The case is extremely high profile, 32mm at the front as shown in one of the pictures. This is due to the brass plate and because I love the look of high profile cases. I think a wrist rest is something you'd want to use with this case.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 May 2013, 05:43:17 by Photekq »
github

Offline rindorbrot

« Reply #127 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 05:50:56 »
How about a matching wrist rest then? ;)

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #128 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 06:06:32 »
Wow if it's to high to use without a wristrest I won't be able to use it becuase if I would use a wristrest I would get so much carpal tunnel problems again...
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #129 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 06:09:17 »
How about a matching wrist rest then? ;)
Next thing I'm going to do, along with a numpad case if I can get the money.
github

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #130 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 08:40:23 »
I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but technically, for the 7bit layout, you'd need all of those bars between escape and the function row gone.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #131 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 08:43:14 »
I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but technically, for the 7bit layout, you'd need all of those bars between escape and the function row gone.
Yeah, I didn't realise that when I started this but I know now. I haven't made 7bit or winkey tops for the current design yet.
github

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #132 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 08:47:01 »
The truth is, I almost like it like that. For me, personally, I would leave the one between escape and the function keys, and cut out all the rest.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #133 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 08:57:36 »
The truth is, I almost like it like that. For me, personally, I would leave the one between escape and the function keys, and cut out all the rest.
Like this?
github

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #134 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 09:05:32 »
Mmmm, yes!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #135 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 09:19:33 »
Actually, like this...

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #136 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 09:21:15 »
Actually, like this...

Show Image

I meant moose's ideal layout. I'm aware 7bit has no gap between the esc and function row.
github

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #137 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 09:25:34 »
Actually, like this...

Show Image

I meant moose's ideal layout. I'm aware 7bit has no gap between the esc and function row.

Ah, okay. Well, the "7bit" one works for my HHK150 design, as well, so that's the one I would want. I think moose ordered a HHK150 plate also.

in memoriam

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #138 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 09:30:01 »
I did, but there are things I don't like about it. For instance, the split backspace. (That might actually be the only thing...?)

And technically, the one he posted as my ideal would work with your plate as well, by my calculations. The space between Esc and F Row is one key. That would leave the rest open, adding one additional key after the function keys.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #139 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 09:31:06 »
I did, but there are things I don't like about it. For instance, the split backspace. (That might actually be the only thing...?)

And technically, the one he posted as my ideal would work with your plate as well, by my calculations. The space between Esc and F Row is one key. That would leave the rest open, adding one additional key after the function keys.
Correct. The gap is 1x, so by having it you'd just be losing one key. The layout would still work aside from that.
github

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #140 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 10:00:14 »
Actually, I would like something like this, with 1.5x blockers on the ends. Moose?

in memoriam

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #141 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 10:02:14 »
Actually, I would like something like this, with 1.5x blockers on the ends. Moose?

Show Image

Wow. That's something I've never seen before. I like it!

Like I said to someone earlier I'm happy to make any plate/top adjustments and have them made. Just understand that it'll most likely cost extra if the quantities are lower.
github

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #142 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 10:03:11 »
With the block between Esc and F row, I think that would be pretty darn nice.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #143 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 10:09:46 »
github

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #144 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 10:14:40 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 October 2015, 10:37:31 by esoomenona »

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
github

Offline dirge

« Reply #146 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 14:27:46 »

Show Image

love it!
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #147 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 14:29:57 »

Show Image

U cray cray bro. CRAY CRAY.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #148 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 11:15:33 »
Dirge made me think about how high profile the case is. I think 32mm at the front is a little on the extreme side so I've lowered the case 5mm. It's still high profile but not quite as extreme. This did, however, mean I had to make the brass plate 5mm thick instead of 8mm thick. Not too big of a deal though.
github

Offline remedyhalopc

« Reply #149 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 11:27:31 »
IMO the lower the profile the better.