Author Topic: Matias Programmable Ergo Pro Keyboard - anyone have it?  (Read 2778 times)

Offline ryahirv

Matias Programmable Ergo Pro Keyboard - anyone have it?
« on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 14:19:15 »
Does anyone have experience with the latest revision to the Matias Ergo Pro that released in January 2020?

It’s now specifically called the “Matias Programmable Ergo Pro Keyboard”..

I had 3 of these back in 2016 and all of them had the key repeat issues no matter what we did with replacements.

I’m scared to jump back in honestly, but I miss the form factor tremendously.
I loved it when it worked - but it just never did work consistently for very long.

I reached out to Steve at Matias and asked about the reliability and defect rate issues and if things had been fixed.

Here was his reply:

Our defect rate is much lower than before, and we now have a 2 year warranty for our most recent model (Matias Programmable Ergo Pro Keyboard), which is double the warranty of the previous model (Matias Ergo Pro Keyboard). However, our defect rate is not zero.

Offline OGProgrammer

Re: Matias Programmable Ergo Pro Keyboard - anyone have it?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 02:00:04 »
I have the Mac one and like you said, was great when it worked. Love the split keyboard style so you can angel it to your preference. However , the reliability has been dodgy. Just fixed mine to see if I can get another few years of use out of it.

Offline ryahirv

Re: Matias Programmable Ergo Pro Keyboard - anyone have it?
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 13:43:45 »
I am so gun shy to try this out again.

I really wish that Steve/Matias had truly fixed the issues to the point that they'd emphatically respond with "all fixed!  Buy with confidence!"

It honestly seems like, just based upon their reactions in communication, that it's just more of the same and maybe some small incremental fixes have happened....but ultimately don't be surprised if the same old key repeat/ghosting stuff crops up on you again.

The 2 year warranty is nice, don't get me wrong, but these are keyboards and as Apple just learned with their butterfly fiasco, we expect keyboards to just frickin' work - all the time - always.

Reliability issues, no matter how minor or intermittent, are simply not tolerable for most of us.