Author Topic: Cop keyboard modded with Kailh Box Jade switches, self-dubbed sunroof mod, etc  (Read 4395 times)

Offline Maledicted

Seeing as my previous keyboard modification was met with crickets, I'm hoping that these being somewhat popular/cheap keyboards, my modifications to one will maybe pique people's interest a little more.

I have been using an ancient Logitech wireless keyboard and trackpad combo for my general home htpc purposes. It has worked admirably for many years (I think it was pretty old even when I found it at a Goodwill), but the on/off switch has broken off a few times and it is rubber dome. I needed every excuse I could find to put Kailh Box switches in something, and recently learned of the existence of the tanky TG3 "cop keyboards". Options for mechanical keyboards with integrated trackpads are ... limited to say the least. TG3's KBA-BLT series boards seem to fit the bill, other than being wired (maybe I'll fix that down the road). It certainly doesn't hurt that most of them seem to be made entirely in the U.S. (or were anyway?) and even within an hour's drive of where I live, in my home state. I couldn't say no to that.

What I certainly didn't want to say yes to though, were Cherry MX Black switches, and those rubber domes over top of them. Sorry, I'm a clicky guy.

There was much desoldering involved, as these are not smd leds. This time I got to try out my fancy Hakko FR-301. I imagine that, this time around, that manual pump would have driven me insane.

This is where things should hopefully be interesting/helpful for curious observers. After removing the leds and original switches, I soldered the original leds flush to the pcb and snipped the excess leads. The box thick clicks still fit over top perfectly fine, and function normally, although it seemed very close.

I also did the now usual aviator mod, especially since the original cable is not removable on these keyboards.

This time I properly grounded the cable, since the board so effectively did so originally. I soldered directly to the washer that came with the aviator connector. Seems to have worked well. The space for the aviator connector's pins was very tight, so I had to solder the wires perpendicular to them.

This wasn't good enough for me though, of course. I didn't like the idea of the water/dust protection being entirely removed, and the domes don't fit box switches well, even if I had wanted to have the added spongy tactility. The raincoat mod others have done has inspired me to call this the sunroof mod, since it is basically the opposite (and will hopefully not bother anybody looking for their psuedo-topres, lol).

I cut the domes off one at a time and fit the rubber back on. I figure this will keep the guts inside clean and relatively waterproof still, especially since box switches provide protection of their own as well, and should make cleaning down the road easier.

It is a beat up old board, and I like that. My HTPC keyboards are abused. The switches sound and feel great, even with the rubber beneath them. It seems like it even dampened most of the pinginess of the plate, although I don't mind that anyway.

I took general disassembly pictures as well, for my reference, if anybody ever needs them.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 January 2020, 07:25:36 by Maledicted »

Offline mr.squishy

• I like beer and keebs
Excellent mod. I am a big fan of the raincoat mod, and I used my data 911 for many years before retiring it in favor of my current board (which, coincidentally, I also swapped jades into)

Offline Maledicted

Excellent mod. I am a big fan of the raincoat mod, and I used my data 911 for many years before retiring it in favor of my current board (which, coincidentally, I also swapped jades into)

Thank you.

Nice. What switches did you put the domes on? I did try them briefly on some loose Cherry MX reds that I pulled out of the K65, but maybe I should try to rig a dome or two to a board sometime.

What board have you got Jades in now? How do you like them? I keep switching back between them and Navies for the moment. I feel like either will be sufficient for me. I feel that the Jades feel closer to clicky alps though, not that they're really close.

I don't know that I have ever retired a mechanical keyboard myself yet, even though I have ... too many of them. This one's just for couch surfing. I have a few more of them, in better shape. I may mod another similarly just for on-the-go computer troubleshooting, etc.

Offline mr.squishy

• I like beer and keebs

Thank you.

Nice. What switches did you put the domes on? I did try them briefly on some loose Cherry MX reds that I pulled out of the K65, but maybe I should try to rig a dome or two to a board sometime.

What board have you got Jades in now? How do you like them? I keep switching back between them and Navies for the moment. I feel like either will be sufficient for me. I feel that the Jades feel closer to clicky alps though, not that they're really close.

I don't know that I have ever retired a mechanical keyboard myself yet, even though I have ... too many of them. This one's just for couch surfing. I have a few more of them, in better shape. I may mod another similarly just for on-the-go computer troubleshooting, etc.
I'm not sure what switch I'll leave the domes on, I'm still searching for the perfect combo. I've never tried Topre, so I'm not trying to imitate it, I'm simply trying to make a switch that I like the best. I suspect zilents with 35g springs will be perfect for me, although I think if I got some lighter springs for my Holy Pandas I would like those too. The domes currently feel awesome on my Fei's.

I swapped the cherry blues from my Cooler Master CM MECH with the jades. The solid click of the jades goes very well with solid metal build. The crisp click of the jades is a huge upgrade over the rattly blues it used to have. It's definitely my favorite board for gaming, but I don't think I would want to type anything for a long time on it, the switches are a tad heavy for my taste. I've never used clicky alps or navys so I unfortunately can't compare.

The data 911 used to be my travel board since it's indestructible, but I don't travel as much as I used to, which is why it's retired for now.

Offline Maledicted

I'm not sure what switch I'll leave the domes on, I'm still searching for the perfect combo. I've never tried Topre, so I'm not trying to imitate it, I'm simply trying to make a switch that I like the best. I suspect zilents with 35g springs will be perfect for me, although I think if I got some lighter springs for my Holy Pandas I would like those too. The domes currently feel awesome on my Fei's.

I swapped the cherry blues from my Cooler Master CM MECH with the jades. The solid click of the jades goes very well with solid metal build. The crisp click of the jades is a huge upgrade over the rattly blues it used to have. It's definitely my favorite board for gaming, but I don't think I would want to type anything for a long time on it, the switches are a tad heavy for my taste. I've never used clicky alps or navys so I unfortunately can't compare.

The data 911 used to be my travel board since it's indestructible, but I don't travel as much as I used to, which is why it's retired for now.

I was thinking similarly. Whoever thought they needed to add rubber domes to Cherry MX Black was crazy, even the reds seemed a bit stiff with them to me. I know reds didn't exist yet when they made the design, but still. I need to try more of these modern exotic switches myself, even if I am a clicky guy. I have read that holy pandas have a nicely rounded tactility. I have noticed that complicated alps and buckling spring are somewhat rounded as well. I suppose thick click switches even are a tiny bit as well, although almost imperceptibly, maybe because of the thickness and roundness of the clickbars helping them gradually roll off of the slider.

I have noticed the same. The thick clicks really help bring out the sound potential of a chassis. The weird thing is how deep the jades seem to be compared to the navies. I'm working on getting some jades into a roomy Unitek K151L tank of a board. I imagine it is going to be very loud.

By the time I had jades I was already conditioned to slightly heavier spring weights by blue alps and capacitive buckling spring. Using navies a few days makes everything else (besides maybe heavy linears, for whatever reason) feel as light as a feather. I know I seem to slam Cherry MX Blue (which now, sadly, seems to feel to me like typing on plastic grocery bags) into the plate more forcefully than I used to with reds.

You use box jades for gaming? I can't see myself doing that, but I guess you never know until you try. I still stick to Cherry MX Reds for that, but only because I don't have any nicer linears for that purpose. Box whites have been making me think that they might be a nice middle-ground for games and typing.

They really do seem very, very solid, that and the careful grounding inside makes them seem like something from another era.

Offline mr.squishy

• I like beer and keebs
I'd highly recommend you try some of the new tactile switches out if you can get a chance! I'm a clicky guy myself but the Pandas I have and the Royals too feel amazing. I'm currently planning a dactyl manuform build with the royals, I think the tactility will go nice on an ergonomic board. And the domes definitely need to be put with a very light switch, otherwise it'll be way too heavy.

Jades definitely sound deeper than I would expect, although they have a sharp click to them (if that makes sense) on larger boards.

I have a terminal Model M that I haven't used very much but my Jades almost seem clicker, although myself and a friend both swear that my M springs must be lighter than an average model M, they feel like 45g or 55g springs almost.

I've always used clickies for gaming, I could never really get into linears for it. It feels weird to me. The high activation point on the jades works really well for gaming in my opinion but they are obnoxious when strafing back and forth or if moving a lot.

I'd definitely agree Jades feel solid enough that I might expect to find them on an older board! They are extremely rigid.

When I swapped from my cherry blues I had to use new LED's for the back-light and now the white has a blue hue to it, which I'm not the biggest fan of, but I'm not about to go de-solder the board again just for LED's.

Offline Maledicted

I'd highly recommend you try some of the new tactile switches out if you can get a chance! I'm a clicky guy myself but the Pandas I have and the Royals too feel amazing. I'm currently planning a dactyl manuform build with the royals, I think the tactility will go nice on an ergonomic board. And the domes definitely need to be put with a very light switch, otherwise it'll be way too heavy.

Jades definitely sound deeper than I would expect, although they have a sharp click to them (if that makes sense) on larger boards.

I have a terminal Model M that I haven't used very much but my Jades almost seem clicker, although myself and a friend both swear that my M springs must be lighter than an average model M, they feel like 45g or 55g springs almost.

I've always used clickies for gaming, I could never really get into linears for it. It feels weird to me. The high activation point on the jades works really well for gaming in my opinion but they are obnoxious when strafing back and forth or if moving a lot.

I'd definitely agree Jades feel solid enough that I might expect to find them on an older board! They are extremely rigid.

When I swapped from my cherry blues I had to use new LED's for the back-light and now the white has a blue hue to it, which I'm not the biggest fan of, but I'm not about to go de-solder the board again just for LED's.

I believe I have a switch tester with Box Royals on it. I'll have to try them again. I had ordered one of those 130 switch testers, but they told me that they were not only actually out of stock, but they wouldn't be back in stock until after the Chinese New Year. That's an interesting keyboard design, to be sure. Did you see the thread about the Charachorder and Datahand? I'm not normally an ergo guy, but those things look really cool too.

They do, although I think the sharpness is the clickbar finally letting go and snapping back. Just before that, if you pay really close attention, it is slightly rounded just before that happens, I assume because it is just beginning to roll/slide off of the slider. I would have to try the thinner clickbars if I find my tester again, but I don't think it is noticeable on them. The pinks sound even deeper than jades, in videos, but I hear mixed things about their tactility.

I would very much agree that thick clicks are more tactile than buckling spring. I don't consider buckling spring to be on the extreme end of tactility, actually closer to Cherry MX. Unlike Cherry MX though, at least with capacitive BS they're buttery smooth, and both membrane and capacitive do have a more complex feel. I would even say that thick clicks are more tactile than clicky alps, but not nearly as refined. I would love for my Model Ms to be weighted like that. Their weight is most of the reason I haven't typed on them for extended periods. Why I haven't extended this hesitation to Box Navies, I have no idea really, other than that neither of my Ms have very consistent key presses either.

You must have been using mechanicals before mechanical "gaming" keyboards became a thing. That's one of the things I would be concerned with myself, stiff/clicky switches for navigation. Driving, etc, is already pretty terrible with a keyboard to begin with (maybe until those analogue keyboards become more popular). That's why I thought Box Whites might be a nice balance.

I know the feeling on that. You'll just need to make up a good excuse to switch to some different switches again.

Offline mr.squishy

• I like beer and keebs
I believe I have a switch tester with Box Royals on it. I'll have to try them again. I had ordered one of those 130 switch testers, but they told me that they were not only actually out of stock, but they wouldn't be back in stock until after the Chinese New Year. That's an interesting keyboard design, to be sure. Did you see the thread about the Charachorder and Datahand? I'm not normally an ergo guy, but those things look really cool too.

They do, although I think the sharpness is the clickbar finally letting go and snapping back. Just before that, if you pay really close attention, it is slightly rounded just before that happens, I assume because it is just beginning to roll/slide off of the slider. I would have to try the thinner clickbars if I find my tester again, but I don't think it is noticeable on them. The pinks sound even deeper than jades, in videos, but I hear mixed things about their tactility.

I would very much agree that thick clicks are more tactile than buckling spring. I don't consider buckling spring to be on the extreme end of tactility, actually closer to Cherry MX. Unlike Cherry MX though, at least with capacitive BS they're buttery smooth, and both membrane and capacitive do have a more complex feel. I would even say that thick clicks are more tactile than clicky alps, but not nearly as refined. I would love for my Model Ms to be weighted like that. Their weight is most of the reason I haven't typed on them for extended periods. Why I haven't extended this hesitation to Box Navies, I have no idea really, other than that neither of my Ms have very consistent key presses either.

You must have been using mechanicals before mechanical "gaming" keyboards became a thing. That's one of the things I would be concerned with myself, stiff/clicky switches for navigation. Driving, etc, is already pretty terrible with a keyboard to begin with (maybe until those analogue keyboards become more popular). That's why I thought Box Whites might be a nice balance.

I know the feeling on that. You'll just need to make up a good excuse to switch to some different switches again.
I've hard about the Datahand, but not the other one. Chording is a little too far for me haha, I'm mostly considering a Dactyl because I already have a 3d printer.

I've never looked into pinks, I'll have to give them a listen some time.

It sounds like I'll definately have to get my hands on some clicky alps!

I was gifted an M0116 with orange alps when I built my first gaming pc. I usb converted it and used it for gaming for years. I then got a Data 911 because it was cheap, before I could snag a CM MECH (I watched ebay for years before finally pulling the trigger on one) Driving on keyboards is indeed terrible no matter what.

I think Jades are perfect for this board, I don't think I'll switch them out.

Offline Maledicted

I've hard about the Datahand, but not the other one. Chording is a little too far for me haha, I'm mostly considering a Dactyl because I already have a 3d printer.

I've never looked into pinks, I'll have to give them a listen some time.

It sounds like I'll definately have to get my hands on some clicky alps!

I was gifted an M0116 with orange alps when I built my first gaming pc. I usb converted it and used it for gaming for years. I then got a Data 911 because it was cheap, before I could snag a CM MECH (I watched ebay for years before finally pulling the trigger on one) Driving on keyboards is indeed terrible no matter what.

I think Jades are perfect for this board, I don't think I'll switch them out.

I was given a hand-me-down 3D printer, which I have failed to utilize at all since. Projects like that do tempt me, although I don't think that it can do very large prints anyway.

Pinks are pretty bassy in videos, I wish they were available on more switch testers.

SKCM blue alps are the best clicky switch I have ever tried. I like them more than capacitive buckling spring.

Nice on the M0116. I think I know a guy at a recycling place that saved one of those. I thought about trying to buy it off of him, but he likes to try to match boards to the original hardware if he can.

I have one of CM's Quickfire Rapids. Nice boards.

Jades are fantastic. I don't know that I'll find anything closer to clicky alps unless somebody finally starts making exact copies some day.