geekhack Community > Keyboards

Soldering pcb and lubing stabs

(1/6) > >>

phinix:
I always used hot-swap pcbs cause didn't want to solder.
But it is a bit hard to get hotswap pcbs for certain keyboards, so I may need to use solderable one.

What I'm worried about is that once its soldered, I may have isue with stabs.
I don't know why, but even when I lube my stabs, after a while they start to scratch and make that rattling noise, especially on spacebar. Its like lube has slided a bit or something. I always use Super Lube for stabs wires. Maybe I should use that new thingy, white spread, what is it called? BDZ? Or just 205g0?
Maybe I'm doing something wrong when lubing?

Soe once soldered, to take stab sout I would need to de-solder those specific switches. This is what puts me off from using solderable pcbs.
I guess there is no other way to do it?
I got a siringe and filled it with grease and in case its a matter of more lube in stabs, I will be able to add it on mounted ones.

Do you guys have isues with stabs once its all soldered?

Leslieann:

--- Quote from: phinix on Fri, 21 January 2022, 07:24:24 ---Do you guys have isues with stabs once its all soldered?

--- End quote ---
I did on the first board I built from scratch.

Since you have boards with hot swaps, why not use some good, known working stabs from one of them or prep and test them in one before putting them in this, that way you know it's going to be fine and installed correctly before you solder (another common issue for people). I use Superlube, but it can be a bit fickle, so yeah, use a hot swap for testing.

Another option you could try is holtites or whatever they're called for those switches (if they will fit). I'm not a fan of them but this seems like a decent use case for them.

phinix:

--- Quote from: Leslieann on Fri, 21 January 2022, 08:12:52 ---
--- Quote from: phinix on Fri, 21 January 2022, 07:24:24 ---Do you guys have isues with stabs once its all soldered?

--- End quote ---
I did on the first board I built from scratch.

Since you have boards with hot swaps, why not use some good, known working stabs from one of them or prep and test them in one before putting them in this, that way you know it's going to be fine and installed correctly before you solder (another common issue for people). I use Superlube, but it can be a bit fickle, so yeah, use a hot swap for testing.

Another option you could try is holtites or whatever they're called for those switches (if they will fit). I'm not a fan of them but this seems like a decent use case for them.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, thing is I don't have any ready good stabs and don't have hotswap board just now.
I'll be doing it from scratch.

What are those holtities? I just googled them - are they those small pipe plugs? Do you stick them in pcb's switch leg holes and solder those, then you can use switches like kinda hot-swap? Is that what it is?  :eek:

Leslieann:

--- Quote from: phinix on Fri, 21 January 2022, 08:34:05 ---What are those holtities? I just googled them - are they those small pipe plugs? Do you stick them in pcb's switch leg holes and solder those, then you can use switches like kinda hot-swap? Is that what it is?  :eek:

--- End quote ---
Yeah, but you will want to research them a bit.
They don't fit all boards and can be fickle to install.

Handke:
stabs are always a **** show. They start to suck without warning :-D

Mill-max socket can transform any keyboard in an hot swap keyboard (if the plate allows it). I just bought them for 0.2 eur each (you need two for each switch).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version