geekhack Community > Keyboards

Is this... Normal?

(1/3) > >>

rcaldejr:
Hey all!

So just swapped my switches on my GMMK Pro. Previously I lubed and filmed some Milky Yellows and have been using them for awhile, but I just swapped them today with some Oil Kings. I am most likely going to be lubing and filming these as well, but I am a little concerned about this situation.

I've attached an image, but basically what we're looking at is that everywhere you do not see a switch, the switch came out with the key when I pulled it... Is this normal? I feel like it should not be that way and am a little bothered by it. I don't seem to be having any connection issues with the switches, but I don't like that they are so loose sitting in the PCB that they just remove themselves with the switch.

This is only the second time switches have been removed from this PCB.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

granola bar enthusiast:
this is probably normal and may sometimes be more prominent on "gaming" keyboards that utilize hot-swap sockets or on softer plate materials, i also experienced with my batch of Gateron milky yellows that they may possibly have slightly smaller molds than some of their newer switches (such as the oil kings or the new Gateron black inks) making them easier to pull out of the plate than some of Gateron's other switches, Don't take my word for it but it's just something I noticed.

It's fairly common on a hot-swap keyboard for switches to sometimes come out when the keycap is pulled off, this changes from board to board depending on their model of hot-swap socket and the measurements of the plate and switch and may not be noticed on the more high end "enthusiast" keyboards.

sorry for the 2 paragraph i sort of went on a tangent lol

Leslieann:
Depending on tolerances and how things are mounted you will get some that are loose and others super tight.

It happens, it's not a big deal.

rcaldejr:

--- Quote from: Leslieann on Sat, 07 May 2022, 22:41:09 ---Depending on tolerances and how things are mounted you will get some that are loose and others super tight.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: granola bar enthusiast on Sat, 07 May 2022, 22:29:57 ---this is probably normal and may sometimes be more prominent on "gaming" keyboards that utilize hot-swap sockets or on softer plate materials, i also experienced with my batch of Gateron milky yellows that they may possibly have slightly smaller molds than some of their newer switches (such as the oil kings or the new Gateron black inks) making them easier to pull out of the plate than some of Gateron's other switches, Don't take my word for it but it's just something I noticed.

It's fairly common on a hot-swap keyboard for switches to sometimes come out when the keycap is pulled off, this changes from board to board depending on their model of hot-swap socket and the measurements of the plate and switch and may not be noticed on the more high end "enthusiast" keyboards.

--- End quote ---

Appreciate both of your responses! I won't worry about it then. I'll just be optimistic in the sense that it helps me save time by pulling both caps and switches at the same time haha

Maledicted:

--- Quote from: rcaldejr on Sat, 07 May 2022, 23:07:32 ---
--- Quote from: Leslieann on Sat, 07 May 2022, 22:41:09 ---Depending on tolerances and how things are mounted you will get some that are loose and others super tight.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: granola bar enthusiast on Sat, 07 May 2022, 22:29:57 ---this is probably normal and may sometimes be more prominent on "gaming" keyboards that utilize hot-swap sockets or on softer plate materials, i also experienced with my batch of Gateron milky yellows that they may possibly have slightly smaller molds than some of their newer switches (such as the oil kings or the new Gateron black inks) making them easier to pull out of the plate than some of Gateron's other switches, Don't take my word for it but it's just something I noticed.

--- End quote ---

Appreciate both of your responses! I won't worry about it then. I'll just be optimistic in the sense that it helps me save time by pulling both caps and switches at the same time haha

--- End quote ---

Soldered switches are always going to be more bulletproof than hot swap, no matter how cheap the board is. It is just one less thing to oxidize and/or fail. Hot swap boards are for testing new switches and/or specific combinations of switches or mods to them. Once you find a configuration you love, solder a whole board the way you want it and be done with it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version