Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3501113 times)

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #1550 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 12:02:49 »
Two questions today;
How should I start practicing soldering?
-and-
Where can I get aluminum cases for filco that aren't way too expensive or poor quality like the vortex one... Custom anodizing would be nice too.
| KB Paradise V60 Maias Quiet Click | Realforce 55gram 87U | MiniTouch (Ivory Hua-Jie) | Poker II | IBM Model F | Unicomp Ultraclassic | Dell AT101W (Black Alps) | WASD Code (Clear) |
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1551 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 12:10:03 »
Two questions today;
How should I start practicing soldering?
-and-
Where can I get aluminum cases for filco that aren't way too expensive or poor quality like the vortex one... Custom anodizing would be nice too.

1) Check out the Living Soldering Thread and WFD's YouTube videos. When you're ready to buy some stuff,  get an old VCR or some other older electronics and just start taking it apart. It's really pretty easy ^__^

2) There are no other cases in the Vortex price range. Anodizing can be done at a local shop, independent of a vendor/seller here on GH.

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #1552 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 15:30:19 »
Should I get a regular QFR instead of a stealth if I want to buy keycaps afterward?
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1553 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 15:31:45 »
Should I get a regular QFR instead of a stealth if I want to buy keycaps afterward?

Probably depends on where you are located and if there is really any price difference. May depend more on what switch type you want.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1554 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 15:32:44 »

If you're not going to keep the stock caps, it seems silly to try and hunt down a Stealth. The regular QFRs seem quite easy to find.

Offline linziyi

« Reply #1555 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 15:38:29 »
Thanks!
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

Offline linziyi

« Reply #1556 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 16:16:00 »
Maybe I am using this thread wayyyyy too much... but what exactly does the stickers in the switches do?
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #1557 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 16:17:21 »
Maybe I am using this thread wayyyyy too much... but what exactly does the stickers in the switches do?

It's in the OP, but I'll quote again for you. :)

Are we still doing simple questions simple answers? if so:
What is this sticker mod i am seeing on some keyboards? Like putting stickers under the switches or something? What does this do? And what does lubing the spring do? It seems like lube on a spring would do nothing?

The stickers go between the top and bottom halves off the switch housing. It reduces movement of the switch housing itself, which eliminates any "wobble" of the switch.

Lubing the sliders of the stem makes the switches feel smoother, and reduces or eliminates any "grittiness" feel of the switches. Lubing the springs reduces or eliminates any squeaking sound coming from the spring movement inside the switch.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1558 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 16:18:44 »
Stickers are a lie. They're like flames on a red car :P

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1559 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 16:19:44 »

Don't listen to this joker. Stickers make you type faster.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #1560 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 16:20:06 »

But Stickers look cool... :p

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1561 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 16:21:40 »
Bro... I never thought to look at the OP again. There's all kinds of info there!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1562 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 16:23:18 »
Bro... I never thought to look at the OP again. There's all kinds of info there!

I've been trying to add/update commonly asked questions there :P

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1563 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 16:23:47 »

I know right......who reads the OP anyway.

I know some forums where the OP is on every page....wonder if we can do that here??

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1564 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 16:32:53 »
On another note! Ignore the dusty case... I still haven't gotten around to purchasing Novus, and I don't want to scratch this thing up like I did with my Das. But thank you so much, CPT! Now to take this thing apart once more...

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1565 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 16:34:16 »
On another note! Ignore the dusty case... I still haven't gotten around to purchasing Novus, and I don't want to scratch this thing up like I did with my Das. But thank you so much, CPT! Now to take this thing apart once more...

Oooo. It's so purdy Moose! You're welcome! Thanks for always popping in to answer questions. Let me know if you need more Novus. I've got a big bottle sitting on my desk.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1566 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 17:01:32 »

Show Image

moose why does your gasmask look crooked?

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #1567 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 17:36:41 »
That's cuz Gas Mask is crooked. Duh! :P Also, I thought stickers made me 1337!

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #1568 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 17:39:42 »
Do you guys make those nice, colorful USB cables. Or do you buy them from somewhere?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1569 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 18:02:03 »
Do you guys make those nice, colorful USB cables. Or do you buy them from somewhere?

Some people make them, some people buy them.  If you don't mind heatshrinked ends, making your own isn't too expensive, but if you want a nice USB mini B and USB male housing on the end, it's usually a little cheaper to have someone make it for you because of shipping costs for the materials you need.

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #1570 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 18:04:48 »
Any specific kind of wire one would need? I have leftover cabling, nylon sleeving from a headphone project.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1571 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 18:10:15 »
Any specific kind of wire one would need? I have leftover cabling, nylon sleeving from a headphone project.

A donor USB cables with a USB plug that you could carefully pry open and reuse, a donor cable with a new plug(s), or a spool of USB cable and plugs for it.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1572 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 18:13:34 »

The one that moose posted was from mimic cables. You can find the stuff at mimic-cables.com and techkeys.com. Pexon Cables also does cables. Other makes include Paranoid and Whiskerbox. Or like nubbinator said, you could make your own.

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #1573 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 18:17:12 »

A donor USB cables with a USB plug that you could carefully pry open and reuse, a donor cable with a new plug(s), or a spool of USB cable and plugs for it.

Oh duh, I didn't even consider cutting open a ready-made cable.   :-X

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1574 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 22:18:55 »
Does anyone know what size screws the Poker/Pure case uses?

Oh duh, I didn't even consider cutting open a ready-made cable.   :-X

If you go that route, there are two ways you can go.  You can carefully open up the USB A housing and take note of which wires line up with which lands, or you can cut the cable, slip the sleeving on, then slice the leads back together.  I prefer cutting away the rubber on the housing and opening the housing, then soldering to the lands.  It's harder, but makes for a nicer looking cable.  Just be very careful opening the cable or you'll need to buy a new housing.

For mine, I'm using some donor cables with new housings since I didn't have the money to buy a big spool of USB cable.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1575 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 22:20:58 »

Show Image

moose why does your gasmask look crooked?

Yeah, I don't know. That's just the way it is. They are hand made after all.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #1576 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 00:51:39 »
Can anyone confirm the Part number for tactile greys?  I have come up with MX1A-D1NN
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #1577 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 00:54:12 »
That is correct. MX1A-D1NN is no diode, plate mount, tactile gray - http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_MX_Grey

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1578 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 01:02:55 »
Excellent now i just need to find 2 of those
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1579 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 01:25:52 »
Does anyone know where I can purchase just the connectors that plug into the motherboard for the front panel connections?  Looking for the ones for both LED's and the power and reset switches.

Could also use a little assistance to find a good looking rocker switch in Momentary-Off-Momentary flavor.  Would prefer non-illuminated varieties, and an 8 pin panel mount connector male and female x2 for each.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 May 2013, 01:27:58 by Melvang »

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #1580 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 02:03:31 »
Does anyone know where I can purchase just the connectors that plug into the motherboard for the front panel connections?  Looking for the ones for both LED's and the power and reset switches.

Could also use a little assistance to find a good looking rocker switch in Momentary-Off-Momentary flavor.  Would prefer non-illuminated varieties, and an 8 pin panel mount connector male and female x2 for each.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/19787/cab-1513/Power_Switch_Assembly_w_HDD_and_Power_LED_Motherboard_Internal_Header_Cable_-_50cm.html?tl=g2c36s269
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/17760/cab-1057/Phobya_Front_Panel_Extension_Cable_Kit_-_300mm_87487.html?tl=g2c36s269#blank
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11095/ele-746/ModSmart_48mm_Switch_Wire_Harness_-_4_x_2-Pin_Power_Switch_and_LED_-_Wire-SWT-48.html?tl=g2c36s269#blank

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #1581 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 10:20:03 »
Getting a Realforce 87U soon, but don't know if I should get the 45g or the variable weights. I ask because I type a lot so the variable would be nice, but I also play a lot of games that utilize the wasd keys.

Wondering if the variable would mess with the wasd keys' functionality for gaming. Also if anyone knows the weights in those keys, that'd be nice too. Thanks!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1582 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 10:22:13 »
Getting a Realforce 87U soon, but don't know if I should get the 45g or the variable weights. I ask because I type a lot so the variable would be nice, but I also play a lot of games that utilize the wasd keys.

Wondering if the variable would mess with the wasd keys' functionality for gaming. Also if anyone knows the weights in those keys, that'd be nice too. Thanks!

You won't really find one answer to this question. It's all going to come down to personal preference. As I've said a million other times in this thread, you can play video games with the RealForce. Multiple professional StarCraft 2 players have competed with RealForces. If you want my opinion? I would not get a Topre board as your first board.

Edit: The variable weights can be found in this post.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 May 2013, 10:26:56 by CPTBadAss »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1583 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 11:20:49 »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1584 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 11:26:19 »

CPTBadAss, please put this info in the OP:

Poker/Pure cases use M2-4mm (0.4mm pitch) machine screws to mount the PCB to the case. McMaster-Carr part # 92000A011

in memoriam

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1585 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 11:31:59 »

CPTBadAss, please put this info in the OP:

Poker/Pure cases use M2-4mm (0.4mm pitch) machine screws to mount the PCB to the case. McMaster-Carr part # 92000A011

Done...however reluctantly :P

Offline dadgh

« Reply #1586 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 13:24:31 »
My MX Black Filco TKL makes a "ping" noise on key release, my Choc Mini with MX Reds never did this. How can I prevent this noise? Both boards have O-rings already.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #1587 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 13:27:22 »
My MX Black Filco TKL makes a "ping" noise on key release, my Choc Mini with MX Reds never did this. How can I prevent this noise? Both boards have O-rings already.

lubing it might help.

here is the thread for that... http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34332.0

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #1588 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 13:28:34 »

More than likely because one is plate mount (filco) and the other is PCB mount
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #1589 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 13:31:17 »
Claim that Diatech made a pingy keyboard and insert lots of "the ping is too damn high" memes. Worked well for my QFR.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1590 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 13:51:25 »
>ping
>dadgh

Hmmm...

Offline clakdale661

« Reply #1591 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 15:57:36 »
Do springs from MX whites have the same force weight as mx clears?

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #1592 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 16:02:20 »
I have question about HHKB. Is it possible to toggle function layer, without keeping "Fn" constantly held down? Say you want to use the arrows "indefinitely". Like what a Caps Lock key does.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1593 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 16:17:45 »

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_MX

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1594 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 16:34:51 »

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_MX

That's the actuation weight, not the weight of the spring.  Of course the original question could be asking either.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #1595 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 16:36:24 »
I'd like to know MX white bottoming out force as well

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1596 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 16:37:40 »
Ok I know that I have seen it somewhere here, but I can't find the thread anymore.  Where is that thread that had the mod for MX switches into a Razer Nostromo.

Melvang

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1597 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 16:42:47 »
Ok I know that I have seen it somewhere here, but I can't find the thread anymore.  Where is that thread that had the mod for MX switches into a Razer Nostromo.

Melvang

I found this thread but I'm not sure if I've seen the swap that you might be referring to.

Offline dadgh

« Reply #1598 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 17:34:49 »

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #1599 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 19:04:12 »
I have question about HHKB. Is it possible to toggle function layer, without keeping "Fn" constantly held down? Say you want to use the arrows "indefinitely". Like what a Caps Lock key does.

I guess that's a "No"...   ^-^