geekhack Community > Keyboards

Model M, switching springs around.

(1/7) > >>

lam47:
How do you get the srings and hammers out?
If you have to pop the plastic riveting on the back of the metal plate I wont bother.

iMav:

--- Quote from: lam47;12363 ---How do you get the srings and hammers out?
If you have to pop the plastic riveting on the back of the metal plate I wont bother.
--- End quote ---

I believe that is exactly what you have to do for the Model M.  

This is one of the nice things about the Model M2...the buckling spring assemblies are easy to get to and replace.

wellington1869:

--- Quote from: lam47;12363 ---How do you get the srings and hammers out?
--- End quote ---

you mean you cant just "twist" the springs out? gah.

I was planning on eventually replacing the springs in a unicomp withthe springs in an M.

Mercen_505:
If you want to mess around with the springs on an M you'll have to content with the plastic rivets behind the metal plate. That's the reason I haven't bothered to replace the single BS that is... ah... sub-optimal on my favorite M keyboard.

Like iMav said, the M2s are convenient in that once you separate the two halves of the chassis the switches fall right out :)

wellington1869:

--- Quote from: Mercen_505;12381 ---If you want to mess around with the springs on an M you'll have to content with the plastic rivets behind the metal plate. That's the reason I haven't bothered to replace the single BS that is... ah... sub-optimal on my favorite M keyboard.

Like iMav said, the M2s are convenient in that once you separate the two halves of the chassis the switches fall right out :)
--- End quote ---

welcome mercen :)

So maybe an M2 is in my future then.  

To clarify - the plastic rivets - I take it once they're opened they cant be closed again? (ie, they're not screws where you can screw them back in?)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version