Author Topic: [IC] Vega - GB begun; in-stock units shipped/shipping  (Read 462298 times)

Offline Bootshine

Re: [IC] Vega - Gasket seamless screwless 65% keyboard
« Reply #250 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 01:36:08 »
Very interested in this one.  Looking forward to GB info.

Offline Caspid

« Reply #251 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 03:31:29 »
Interested in this being my first keyboard!

Offline FlitzDeelman

« Reply #252 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 03:43:14 »
ai03 (avoiding the ping for now), the Vega PCB is again flexy, as Polaris, right? And I don’t see a USB daughterboard.

Sorry if you answered this already, if so, please point me at your answer.

Will Vega also have the same behaviour with the USB port flexing against the case, as here: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/h7gofy/polaris_owners_usb_port_stress/

Admittedly, in normal use that won’t be a problem.

And further, just for my own education, I’ve been told the USB daughterboard is more to assist layout of the PCB than to safeguard against flex of the PCB / movement of the USB port.

What is your motivation? I guess you’d be the authority on this, since most other designers use your daughterboard!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline RageStrafe

« Reply #253 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 06:55:08 »
this is it cheef so hyped for this

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #254 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 07:00:49 »
would love to try one of these. looking forward to the gb

Offline MediocreTurtle

« Reply #255 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 11:46:40 »
ai03 (avoiding the ping for now), the Vega PCB is again flexy, as Polaris, right? And I don’t see a USB daughterboard.

Sorry if you answered this already, if so, please point me at your answer.

Will Vega also have the same behaviour with the USB port flexing against the case, as here: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/h7gofy/polaris_owners_usb_port_stress/

Admittedly, in normal use that won’t be a problem.

And further, just for my own education, I’ve been told the USB daughterboard is more to assist layout of the PCB than to safeguard against flex of the PCB / movement of the USB port.

What is your motivation? I guess you’d be the authority on this, since most other designers use your daughterboard!

It's to keep the cost as low as possible. He had mentioned it in his discord.

Offline FlitzDeelman

[IC] Vega - Gasket seamless screwless 65% keyboard
« Reply #256 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 13:02:58 »
It's to keep the cost as low as possible. He had mentioned it in his discord.

Great, thanks. So will the Vega have similar movement of the USB port?

<EDIT:> Ah, I see Polaris has USB on one side, Vega has it in the middle. And maybe the USB port is then closer to gasket support than on Polaris as well.
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 July 2020, 13:06:17 by FlitzDeelman »

Offline SauceySquid

« Reply #257 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 18:05:27 »
How does hot-swap work with a gasket mount system??

url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=105950.0][/url]

Offline Domantas

« Reply #258 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 18:00:35 »
At last someone made endgame layout: 7u bottom, normal caps lock for using it as fn or ctrl, 65% and also hotswap and plate material choices are so dope

Offline Sunfish

« Reply #259 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 20:28:13 »
This looks CLEAN. Count me in.

Offline NathanCVII

• Weeb I am
« Reply #260 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 22:55:05 »
I'm 100% in for an all black one. I will cry myself to sleep for several weeks if I miss this.

Offline kwhilden

« Reply #261 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 01:17:51 »
Have you considered reversing the split spacebar to 2.75u on the left? I don't understand why so many recent boards woth splits leave that out.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #262 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 07:02:48 »
Have you considered reversing the split spacebar to 2.75u on the left? I don't understand why so many recent boards woth splits leave that out.

It's a matter of preference. I would also prefer 2.75u on the left.

Offline syberghost

« Reply #263 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 11:16:34 »
How does hot-swap work with a gasket mount system??

Standoffs connecting the PCB to the plate.
yes, I'm the guy who put box jades on a Polaris

Offline Caspid

« Reply #264 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 16:15:03 »
Interested regardless, but I'd prefer something closer to the DZ65 or TADA68 layout, with 2-3 keys next to the arrows; the blocker seems like wasted space.
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 July 2020, 16:18:18 by Caspid »

Offline etong415

« Reply #265 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 16:18:13 »
Interested regardless, but I'd prefer something closer to the TADA68 layout, with 2-3 keys next to the arrows; the blocker seems like wasted space.
Lol

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #266 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 16:48:12 »
Interested regardless, but I'd prefer something closer to the DZ65 or TADA68 layout, with 2-3 keys next to the arrows; the blocker seems like wasted space.

no thanks.

yikes...

Offline NathanCVII

• Weeb I am
« Reply #267 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 17:04:45 »

no thanks.

yikes...

I wouldn't be opposed to 2 1.5u keys, but the blocker looks nice on this board.

Offline leexy

« Reply #268 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 21:03:02 »

reported

Offline vocal118

« Reply #269 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 21:06:51 »
when gb?

Offline Domantas

« Reply #270 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 03:22:24 »
NOOOO XD 7u on 65% is literally one of the best layouts

Offline Caspid

« Reply #271 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 11:41:48 »
Would you guys mind sharing why this layout is preferable? I'm new to keyboards, but coming from a laptop keyboard, it's nice to be able to use Ctrl+PgUp/PgDn for scrolling through tabs, and a menu key saves moving your hand to the mouse to right-click. Open to discussing it; there aren't many curated layout comparisons with pros/cons that I could find.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 July 2020, 11:43:25 by Caspid »

Offline Vaudevi77ain

« Reply #272 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 11:51:36 »
Would you guys mind sharing why this layout is preferable? I'm new to keyboards, but coming from a laptop keyboard, it's nice to be able to use Ctrl+PgUp/PgDn for scrolling through tabs, and a menu key saves moving your hand to the mouse to right-click. Open to discussing it; there aren't many curated layout comparisons with pros/cons that I could find.

Ultimately it's all preference, which is why other layouts exist. I myself like the blocker because it makes it easier to track where your fingers are landing for the arrow keys.

Offline Sabin

« Reply #273 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 12:40:58 »

Its preference, people get smaller layouts because they don't use the key or they are happy to use layers. You can get a TKL or 75% instead of 65%, its up to you, there is no 'best'

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #274 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 12:51:19 »

You can always map Fn+PgUp/PgDn to work as Ctrl+PgUp/PgDn. And Menu can be Fn+M or whatever. The blocker is nice because it looks cleaner (it's less cramped than having three keys there), and it gives you tactile feedback as to where the arrow cluster is.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 July 2020, 12:55:43 by konstantin »

Offline juice_pouch

« Reply #275 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 13:24:22 »

It's just preference - I've never used RCtrl or the Menu key in my life, so I don't need them. However, you can remap anything to just about anything else (including modifiers such as Ctrl), so it's not like you're only restricted to the physically present keys.

Offline Caspid

« Reply #276 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 14:57:57 »
I appreciate a clean look, but the asymmetry is a little weird.  I feel like locating the arrows (and other keys) by muscle memory is much more significant than relying on empty space.  Good point on mapping it as a Fn key; will have to try that.  An extra keystroke is less desirable though; does the software/firmware allow you to map keypresses vs holds differently (i.e. press for menu, hold for Ctrl modifier)?  The menu key is great if you use any right-click functions frequently (e.g. on an image, Menu → Open With ("h") → Adobe Photoshop is a real timesaver).
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 July 2020, 15:03:38 by Caspid »

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #277 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 15:10:41 »
An extra keystroke is less desirable though; does the software/firmware allow you to map keypresses vs holds differently (i.e. press for menu, hold for Ctrl modifier)?

Yes, of course, any good firmware will allow you to do that (QMK firmware is what's mostly used).

Offline pelunayrb

« Reply #278 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 16:51:12 »
very interested. looking forward to this!

Offline ai03

• I do not reply to PMs; contact me via website
    • Website
« Reply #279 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 17:23:15 »
when gb?
No

Absolutely no

On a more serious note, I chose the 1.5/7U-based layout for four reasons:
- Historical significance of the WKL-based layouts
- Ability to support 3/1/3U split space and 7U on a single hotswap PCB once 3U becomes more common
- Noticeably better reach on the left ctrl position
- A survey taken before IC revealed roughly equal demand for 1.5 and 1.25 based 65% layouts, and plenty of 1.25 based 65% boards already exist

Offline Caspid

« Reply #280 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 17:32:26 »
Thank you for explaining the reasoning!
The improved comfort on L Ctrl sounds great.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #281 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 17:43:01 »
The downside of 7u space is that RAlt/AltGr becomes noticeably more difficult to reach. This is an issue primarily for non-US users that rely heavily on AltGr to input special characters.

Offline santela

« Reply #282 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 06:50:56 »
when gb?
No

Absolutely no

On a more serious note, I chose the 1.5/7U-based layout for four reasons:
- Historical significance of the WKL-based layouts
- Ability to support 3/1/3U split space and 7U on a single hotswap PCB once 3U becomes more common
- Noticeably better reach on the left ctrl position
- A survey taken before IC revealed roughly equal demand for 1.5 and 1.25 based 65% layouts, and plenty of 1.25 based 65% boards already exist

Wait, are you saying this hotswap pcb will support 3/1/3u spacebar? Or are you saying this could be a future possibility?

Offline kaworu

« Reply #283 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 14:00:53 »
The downside of 7u space is that RAlt/AltGr becomes noticeably more difficult to reach. This is an issue primarily for non-US users that rely heavily on AltGr to input special characters.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the hotswap layout with the 7u spacebar has no RAlt/AltGr (only RControl which of course could be re-mapped but you get my point). We ISO users will have to rely on the soldering kit, which allow a 6.25u spacebar along with AltGr.

That's why it would be great if we could get to choose between the hotswap and soldering kits instead of hotswap being the default and having to purchase the soldering kit additionally.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #284 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 15:55:15 »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the hotswap layout with the 7u spacebar has no RAlt/AltGr (only RControl which of course could be re-mapped but you get my point). We ISO users will have to rely on the soldering kit, which allow a 6.25u spacebar along with AltGr.

That's why it would be great if we could get to choose between the hotswap and soldering kits instead of hotswap being the default and having to purchase the soldering kit additionally.

The key to the right of 7u space would be AltGr. Yes, it would be better to not be forced to purchase the hotswap PCB.

Offline MNML.

« Reply #285 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 01:34:34 »
Looks really clean. I would like to see non-hotswap standard for flexibility on layouts.

Offline ai03

• I do not reply to PMs; contact me via website
    • Website
« Reply #286 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 05:29:09 »
Wait, are you saying this hotswap pcb will support 3/1/3u spacebar? Or are you saying this could be a future possibility?
Very likely in the future.

Looks really clean. I would like to see non-hotswap standard for flexibility on layouts.
Roughly half of the PCB issues I had to deal with on Polaris were related to soldering errors, and the other half firmware flashing. Vega attempts to resolve these issues for the sake of my sanity when I get flooded by DMs and pings and emails.

The key to the right of 7u space would be AltGr. Yes, it would be better to not be forced to purchase the hotswap PCB.

Maybe in the future, but definitely not now.
I just spent months optimizing Vega for the least logistics headache and best labor conditions for everyone involved in making the board whether factory worker or vendor, so I will not undo such efforts until I or the vendor is financially stable enough to hire more workers and offload sorting work to be less burden on each person.

« Last Edit: Thu, 09 July 2020, 05:42:02 by ai03 »

Offline adamjohari

« Reply #287 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 06:12:14 »
Definitely in for this and the Andromeda. Just hoping it's an unlimited group buy limited by time only so I can have a decent chance to get one.
After | KBD8X Mk2 | Prophet | Ducky One 2 Mini

GMK Laser | ePBT Kon MoMo | Infinikey Port | Sanctuary Rebirth PBT | GMK Deep Navy

Offline acaban

« Reply #288 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 07:20:32 »
best labor conditions

this is really cool to hear.

Offline Git2Gether

« Reply #289 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 11:38:46 »
I'm interested.  Be checkin up on updates.  How far along are we on this?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #290 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 13:57:03 »
65 isn't my jam but i think ai03 is one of the most aware designers right now

really excited to see what else is coming down the road
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline NathanCVII

• Weeb I am
« Reply #291 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 14:38:53 »
Would the soldering kit come with a separate plate? Would love to be able to just have my usual layout and then a hotswap to plop in for testing switches.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 July 2020, 14:45:27 by NathanCVII »

Offline rewke

« Reply #292 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 14:43:54 »
Just hoping it's an unlimited group buy limited by time only so I can have a decent chance to get one.

SAME. Praying that it's an unlimited GB.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 July 2020, 16:55:27 by rewke »

Offline kaworu

« Reply #293 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 16:03:26 »

Maybe in the future, but definitely not now.
I just spent months optimizing Vega for the least logistics headache and best labor conditions for everyone involved in making the board whether factory worker or vendor, so I will not undo such efforts until I or the vendor is financially stable enough to hire more workers and offload sorting work to be less burden on each person.

Fair point, thank you for your honesty.

Offline LouisD

« Reply #294 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 18:01:42 »

Roughly half of the PCB issues I had to deal with on Polaris were related to soldering errors, and the other half firmware flashing. Vega attempts to resolve these issues for the sake of my sanity when I get flooded by DMs and pings and emails.

That makes sense, especially considering how popular this board is going to be with 2020 demand and the approachability of 65%. Honestly I'm stoked for the hotswap pcb as I don't have any HS boards for testing/breaking in switches. If I'm able to order a Vega I'll be picking up a second solderable pcb+plate as well.

« Reply #295 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 18:08:57 »

God, please make it happen! this board looks quite gorgeous.. now with 3u hotswap spacebar and how easy it is to reach that ctrl key, you have just sold it for both me and my son!

Offline MediocreTurtle

« Reply #296 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 18:44:28 »
Just hoping it's an unlimited group buy limited by time only so I can have a decent chance to get one.

SAME. Praying that it's an unlimited GB.

Well, yeah. At the very bottom of the initial post there's the supported layout for the default hotswap and then the supported layouts for the solder pcb/plate.

Offline patzorz

• lowkey addicted
    • Instagram
« Reply #297 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 12:47:37 »
Hope im able to cop a rose gold one :)
7V - Duck Orion v2.5 - GeonWorks F2-84Satisfaction75 - Zenith - Polaris - Vega - Hex4B - TGR x KLC Dolice - Tomo - ThermalProphetHex3C

Offline mikeyboyy

« Reply #298 on: Sun, 12 July 2020, 03:27:02 »
Is it possible to get this wkl on both sides?

Offline pdiddy

« Reply #299 on: Sun, 12 July 2020, 04:03:06 »
Ooof. This looks awesome - I'm in.