Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3525453 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #7500 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 13:41:16 »
Are unicomp keycaps compatible with original ibm model M keyboard?

Yup, I have Unicomp keycaps on my SSK.

Ok guys, thanks...  Always learning!

Agreed, that's the fun part of this thread imo. I always learn a lot :D.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 April 2014, 13:49:36 by CPTBadAss »

Offline juguerre

« Reply #7501 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 13:49:20 »
Great!
Realforce 105 variable (at work)     Ducky G2Pro ISO TKL Mx-Clear    Realforce 87 55g (home)

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #7502 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 20:16:11 »
Soo... quick question.

I wanna buy one of imsto's new aluminium case for my KBT pure. Thing is, KBT switches are PCB mounted.

That means I have to desolder all the switches and the stabs, mount them on the plate and solder them to the pcb again right?

Second question, PCB mounted and plate mounted switches are different right? PCB mounted switches has the legs. Does that mean I have to buy a whole new set of switches just for the plate, mount the switches to the plate, desolder current switches from PCB and then mount PCB onto plate with new switches and solder?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7503 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 20:24:15 »
1) That means I have to desolder all the switches and the stabs, mount them on the plate and solder them to the pcb again right?

2) Second question, PCB mounted and plate mounted switches are different right? PCB mounted switches has the legs. Does that mean I have to buy a whole new set of switches just for the plate, mount the switches to the plate, desolder current switches from PCB and then mount PCB onto plate with new switches and solder?

1) Yes you're correct. Just to clarify, the case comes with a plate?

2) It really depends on the PCB. If your PCB has the holes for it, you can solder in PCB mount switches while they're on a plate. For example, the KMAC LE does this. I have PCB mounted switches in this plated keyboard because the PCB has the holes to accept the PCB mount switch legs. If you have PCB mount switches and the PCB doesn't have the holes for it, you can always just clip the legs off.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #7504 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 21:03:47 »
If I pm someone who is muted, do they still get my pm?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7505 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 21:05:12 »

The mod team tells me that yes they should be able to get the PMs, but can't reply.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #7506 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 21:05:37 »

The mod team tells me that yes they should be able to get the PMs, but can't reply.

ok thanks mang

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #7507 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 21:09:24 »
Wow talking to the mod team now huh? I see how it is.
I love Elzy

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #7508 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 08:36:47 »

1) Yes you're correct. Just to clarify, the case comes with a plate?

2) It really depends on the PCB. If your PCB has the holes for it, you can solder in PCB mount switches while they're on a plate. For example, the KMAC LE does this. I have PCB mounted switches in this plated keyboard because the PCB has the holes to accept the PCB mount switch legs. If you have PCB mount switches and the PCB doesn't have the holes for it, you can always just clip the legs off.

1) Um no I don't think so. I'm using a stock KBT pure now and I wanna get one of imsto's plates for it. Just that I don't have proper access to tools now to take apart the keyboard and see whether the switches come with the stems or not.

2) I googled and found this http://imgur.com/a/nQTKA#cUz82

If you scroll down, he opens up the keyboard and shows PCB mounted switches with the legs. Mine isn't the backlit/limited edition but I'm still assuming they'll be the same. That means I can just reuse the switches right? Since the plate has slots for the additional legs. I just pop them into the plate, match everything up nicely and solder onto it. No need to source for new, plate specific switches?

Thanks a ton :)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7509 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 08:38:01 »
That means I can just reuse the switches right?

Yes

Offline intelli78

« Reply #7510 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 11:29:40 »
Are there any great tricks for making ALPS spacebars less wobbly?  :D
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7511 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 11:30:36 »
Are there any great tricks for making ALPS spacebars less wobbly?  :D

Could always try the plastic shim trick like you would with Costars. Alps are inherently wobbly in general though.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #7512 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 11:31:42 »
How long does it take usually for stuff to get shipped out after mass drops?
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7513 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 11:32:20 »

This isn't really keyboard related. But it depends on the item. I've had Kershaws ship a week after the buy ends and a keychain take about a month.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #7514 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 11:33:52 »

This isn't really keyboard related. But it depends on the item. I've had Kershaws ship a week after the buy ends and a keychain take about a month.
Thx, I just didn't think it was important enough to merit its own thread

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7515 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 11:50:59 »

Thx, I just didn't think it was important enough to merit its own thread

You could have asked at massdrop. Every item has a discussion linked to it.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #7516 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 11:59:14 »
When using PCB mount stabilizers, what bottoms first?  The stab or the switch? 

The reason I am asking is because I am thinking of adding spacebar versions of the single switch PCB in that group buy but I don't want to risk putting that extra stress on the switch pins.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7517 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 12:03:11 »
When using PCB mount stabilizers, what bottoms first?  The stab or the switch? 

The reason I am asking is because I am thinking of adding spacebar versions of the single switch PCB in that group buy but I don't want to risk putting that extra stress on the switch pins.

I'm going to *guess* they bottom at the same time. I think I can see it on the Epsilon. I can test it later to see if I can find anything out.

Offline ajx

« Reply #7518 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 12:27:57 »
Do you feel difference between red and black switch while gaming?
Honestly it feels pretty much same since gaming such as consists oftent to bottoming out
I like red for being much greater for typing? do you think black is too heavy if you bottom out quite often while typing?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7519 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 12:29:37 »
Honestly it feels pretty much same since gaming such as consists oftent to bottoming out
I like red for being much greater for typing? do you think black is too heavy if you bottom out quite often while typing?

This isn't really a simple question and very subjective. If you ask ten people, you're liable to get ten different answers. For me personally, I hate Reds and I refuse to buy any keyboards with them or the switches themselves. Blacks work great for me though, for both typing and gaming.

A quick search yields a couple threads that might interest you, check them out:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56623.0
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=29506.0

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #7520 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 12:31:23 »
If you like reds and are used to gaming with them, you should be fine sticking to those. I use blacks because I like to rest my hands on the keys and fine myself accidentally pressing spacebar constantly, and because when I use reds I bottom out pretty hard.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7521 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 12:32:09 »
If you like reds and are used to gaming with them, you should be fine sticking to those.

I totally forgot to mention this and hwood34 is right. Use what feels best for you.

Offline ajx

« Reply #7522 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 12:52:02 »
gaming is fine for both black and red, if i want to be extremely accurate, yes i would litte favor black over red but its very close as feelings
Now about typing, i did not use black for a long time but at first, i highly disliked.
I think the best linear switch would be a compromise between red and black, with actuation force around 55 cN?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #7523 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 13:06:32 »
gaming is fine for both black and red, if i want to be extremely accurate, yes i would litte favor black over red but its very close as feelings
Now about typing, i did not use black for a long time but at first, i highly disliked.
I think the best linear switch would be a compromise between red and black, with actuation force around 55 cN?

That's why I love using my lubed 65g (Korean spring) linears. It's the perfect middle ground between black and red.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #7524 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 15:11:47 »

Yes, there's a difference in games, but once you get used to whatever switch you choose it won't matter. Neither is better.

I prefer typing on reds to blacks, but I typed for a very long time on blacks before I switched to reds.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #7525 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 18:33:51 »

is black a little more accurate?

why so?

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #7526 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 18:34:39 »

why so?

Because of stiffer springs which makes it easier to not accidentally press keys perhaps?
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7527 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 18:37:51 »

I don't think so. Unless if you mean what epzy said. I've never been sure what people meant by "accuracy" when they were typing.

Because of stiffer springs which makes it easier to not accidentally press keys perhaps?

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #7528 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 18:39:45 »
for me, I actually have more mistakes with blacks than reds. This is because on reds I bottom out every time, but on blacks is a bit too heavy and I try to touch type, and sometimes I don't hit down the key halfway and nothing gets sent

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #7529 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 18:52:00 »
Do tactile greys have the exact same sliders as Clears?  Do they have as much of a bump to them?

Also do keycaps fit as tight on tactile greys as they do on Clears?
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7530 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 19:12:23 »
Do tactile greys have the exact same sliders as Clears?  Do they have as much of a bump to them?

I think the slider is the same just a different color with heavier spring.

The bump is not as pronounced because it takes more to press but it is a different feeling due to the heavier spring and the tight fit is similar.

Also to me the grays have a springy sound not near as much as buckling springs but different from other MX switches.

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #7531 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 19:34:49 »

Tactile greys do have a bump to them, just less distinct.

The clears have a stiffer transition from bump -> slide than the greys do

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #7532 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 21:24:56 »
I'm wondering if I can put 62g springs in tactile greys and they feel just like ergo except my key caps wouldn't have to go on so tight?
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #7533 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 21:27:56 »
I'm wondering if I can put 62g springs in tactile greys and they feel just like ergo except my key caps wouldn't have to go on so tight?

iirc tooling is exactly the same

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #7534 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 22:45:03 »

iirc tooling is exactly the same

Ah okay. So caps will be just as tight on tactile grey stems as they would be on clear?

That answers my question.  Thanks.
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #7535 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 23:17:21 »
I just wanted to add this somewhere and maybe this is the place cpt...

for people who ask about the pad printed cherry/gmk keycaps, this is a good illustration of the light glaze that is placed ontop of the keycap

it's the slight square you can see within the boundaries of the edge of the keycap

so, that's a thick ABS keycap, with pad printing, but with this light glaze on top. doesn't affect the feel at all, but helps make the printing last hella longer

here's a pic of it zoomed out so maybe you can spot it again

Offline yuiop

« Reply #7536 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 05:15:33 »
Someone in europe wants to buy a set of stabilizers from me.  The problem is I've never shipped anything to europe.  Ragnorock's shipping info thread says (http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=37351.0) there's a $4 option.

Can someone kindly explain how this works? Can I just put the name and  the address on the bubble mailer and take it to local PO?
How much extra do I pay for tracking?  thanks in advance!

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #7537 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 05:59:51 »
1. Can someone kindly explain how this works? Can I just put the name and the address on the bubble mailer and take it to local PO?
2. How much extra do I pay for tracking?  thanks in advance!

1. Don't forget to put the country below the main address of course. There shouldn't be anything special apart from that.
2. You can tell them what shipping option you want or you can also sometimes pay shipping costs online in advance and print the shipping label at home. I think even First Class International (which is the cheapest service iirc) offers tracking though.

Offline yuiop

« Reply #7538 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 06:49:46 »
1. Can someone kindly explain how this works? Can I just put the name and the address on the bubble mailer and take it to local PO?
2. How much extra do I pay for tracking?  thanks in advance!

1. Don't forget to put the country below the main address of course. There shouldn't be anything special apart from that.
2. You can tell them what shipping option you want or you can also sometimes pay shipping costs online in advance and print the shipping label at home. I think even First Class International (which is the cheapest service iirc) offers tracking though.

Thanks.  according to usps site, first class package starts at $6+ and has tracking.
I'm trying to see if I can send it via first class large envelope, assuming bubble mailer is not too thick for this option.  This would be around $4 but I'm not sure if it includes tracking.  Even if you ship within CONUS first class is around $3 w/o tracking.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7539 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 07:27:45 »

I'm trying to see if I can send it via first class large envelope, assuming bubble mailer is not too thick for this option. 

A large envelope is going to cost you considerably more than a small envelope, in my experience. Also, if it is less than  3/4" thick it makes a big difference.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline yuiop

« Reply #7540 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 07:49:32 »

I'm trying to see if I can send it via first class large envelope, assuming bubble mailer is not too thick for this option. 

A large envelope is going to cost you considerably more than a small envelope, in my experience. Also, if it is less than  3/4" thick it makes a big difference.

I don't see any small envelope option.  It's either letter, large envelope or package (> 3/4 thickness)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7541 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 07:50:41 »

I don't see any small envelope option.  It's either letter, large envelope or package (> 3/4 thickness)

I think you have to go to the post office to get that option. USPS online is limited when it comes to the 'cheapest' options.

Offline yuiop

« Reply #7542 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 07:53:47 »

I think you have to go to the post office to get that option. USPS online is limited when it comes to the 'cheapest' options.

I see.  I thought they list all the options even though online postage is not available in some cases(ie first class)

bubble mailer I have is 8"x 5"  not sure if this will qualify as a small envelope.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7543 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 07:54:50 »
I see.  I thought they list all the options even though online postage is not available in some cases(ie first class)

bubble mailer I have is 8"x 5"  not sure if this will qualify as a small envelope.

I don't think that it's a small envelope. And I agree with Ray, a lot of their options don't seem to be available online. I usually send out international packages at the branch office in person. I guess that mailer will cost around $10 to send just from personal experience.

I don't remember what the tracking is to Europe but to Canada, a small envelope (small bubble mailer to send out a couple keycaps) costs about $5-6 for First Class. If I want tracking, it's like $19-20. I forgot what they call it though.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 April 2014, 07:57:47 by CPTBadAss »

Offline yuiop

« Reply #7544 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 08:00:41 »
Thanks.  I guess I'll find out soon.  Hopefully it doesn't cost $10+

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #7545 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 08:22:35 »
FYI, if you use stamps.com, you can print first class postage at home. They even have a free trial period, I believe. For Priority and above, you can use USPS.com.

The days of cheap ($4) international shipping are gone. When the USPS raised their international rates, the base price for the smallest first class "package" rate (1 or 2 oz) went up to $6.16. From sending many international packages through the post office here, they won't let you send a bubble mailer as an envelope or letter. You also want your bubble mailer to be large enough to attach the small customs form (about the size of a 8.5x11 sheet folded in half, or 8.5x5.5).

The price of international shipping for flat rate Priority mail boxes is about $25 for a small box, $60 for a medium box, and $80 for a large box. From the US to Canada, it is slightly cheaper, with the small box at $20, medium box at $40, and large box at $60.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline yuiop

« Reply #7546 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 08:35:08 »
Thanks for the info, JD.  it sucks that things cost so much more to ship these days :(

Offline b7ad

• ゆめうつつ
    • mechblog
« Reply #7547 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 08:37:09 »
I have a loose LED on a board, can I just pull it out with pliers? Is it dangerous to leave it in there? It's bent downward, so keycaps fit on no problem, just concerned about it staying on there. I tried to bend it upright and sometimes it lights up - it's 'higher' than it should be when bent upright. If it isn't an issue I don't mind leaving it, I guess the only other option is desoldering and re-soldering it? Thanks

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7548 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 08:37:53 »
FYI, if you use stamps.com, you can print first class postage at home. They even have a free trial period, I believe. For Priority and above, you can use USPS.com.

The days of cheap ($4) international shipping are gone. When the USPS raised their international rates, the base price for the smallest first class "package" rate (1 or 2 oz) went up to $6.16. From sending many international packages through the post office here, they won't let you send a bubble mailer as an envelope or letter. You also want your bubble mailer to be large enough to attach the small customs form (about the size of a 8.5x11 sheet folded in half, or 8.5x5.5).

The price of international shipping for flat rate Priority mail boxes is about $25 for a small box, $60 for a medium box, and $80 for a large box. From the US to Canada, it is slightly cheaper, with the small box at $20, medium box at $40, and large box at $60.

So sad USPS.com seems to have done away with CONUS first class options :(

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7549 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 08:38:26 »
I have a loose LED on a board, can I just pull it out with pliers? Is it dangerous to leave it in there? It's bent downward, so keycaps fit on no problem, just concerned about it staying on there. I tried to bend it upright and sometimes it lights up - it's 'higher' than it should be when bent upright. If it isn't an issue I don't mind leaving it, I guess the only other option is desoldering and re-soldering it? Thanks

It's probably soldered in so I don't think you should just rip it out. Desolder and resolder it.