Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3525661 times)

Offline BlueBär

Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #7550 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 08:41:48 »
I have a loose LED on a board, can I just pull it out with pliers? Is it dangerous to leave it in there? It's bent downward, so keycaps fit on no problem, just concerned about it staying on there. I tried to bend it upright and sometimes it lights up - it's 'higher' than it should be when bent upright. If it isn't an issue I don't mind leaving it, I guess the only other option is desoldering and re-soldering it? Thanks

By loose you mean somewhere soldered on the PCB without anything surrounding it? Don't pull it out with force. I would recommend you to desolder it. You could also cut it off but if you plan on ever putting in a new one you might have some problems getting the rest of the leads out.

Offline b7ad

• ゆめうつつ
    • mechblog
« Reply #7551 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 08:53:52 »
I have a loose LED on a board, can I just pull it out with pliers? Is it dangerous to leave it in there? It's bent downward, so keycaps fit on no problem, just concerned about it staying on there. I tried to bend it upright and sometimes it lights up - it's 'higher' than it should be when bent upright. If it isn't an issue I don't mind leaving it, I guess the only other option is desoldering and re-soldering it? Thanks

By loose you mean somewhere soldered on the PCB without anything surrounding it? Don't pull it out with force. I would recommend you to desolder it. You could also cut it off but if you plan on ever putting in a new one you might have some problems getting the rest of the leads out.

I just received the board, it's on the home button on a TKL board. It's been bent downward. I bent it back upward and at a certain point, like halfway up it lit up. I haven't ever done any soldering before so was hoping there was an option to deal with it! Maybe leaving it won't cause a problem if I leave it bent down, it's not lighting up in that position, then If I feel up to it at a later date I can desolder it?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7552 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 08:56:02 »
I just received the board, it's on the home button on a TKL board. It's been bent downward. I bent it back upward and at a certain point, like halfway up it lit up. I haven't ever done any soldering before so was hoping there was an option to deal with it! Maybe leaving it won't cause a problem if I leave it bent down, it's not lighting up in that position, then If I feel up to it at a later date I can desolder it?

If you just leave it there, I don't think there should be any issue. But someone with more electrical knowledge than myself might be able to tell you otherwise.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #7553 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 08:56:19 »

What board is it? Can you take a photo of the LED?

Offline b7ad

• ゆめうつつ
    • mechblog
« Reply #7554 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 09:28:41 »
If you just leave it there, I don't think there should be any issue. But someone with more electrical knowledge than myself might be able to tell you otherwise.
Hopefully that's the case! I don't really mind it not working, If it causes no issue I can always do it at a later date.

What board is it? Can you take a photo of the LED?

It's a KMAC. Here;

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #7555 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 09:34:57 »
It's a KMAC. Here;

Show Image

I would just leave it as it is if you don't mind it. You can always desolder it later if it bugs you.

Offline b7ad

• ゆめうつつ
    • mechblog
« Reply #7556 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 09:45:09 »
It's a KMAC. Here;

Show Image

I would just leave it as it is if you don't mind it. You can always desolder it later if it bugs you.

It doesn't bother me and I'd rather not buy soldering equipment to fix it. You can see a dent in the photo on the top right of the board, was obviously dropped in transit + very poor packaging caused this. Annoying but if it won't cause problems being there I don't mind at all. Thanks!

Offline Shyfe

« Reply #7557 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 11:41:10 »
Are the HHKB Topre sliders supposed to fall by themselves when the board is unassembled? If that was confusing, I meant that the sliders should go up and down according to gravity when it's unassembled. I lubed it up and I have to push it up and down to move it. I can't recall if it was like that before. Thanks.

HHKB (55g) | IBM SSK | Realforce 87U (55g) | Unicomp EnduraPro | KBT Oni

Offline intelli78

« Reply #7558 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 11:42:43 »
Are the HHKB Topre sliders supposed to fall by themselves when the board is unassembled? If that was confusing, I meant that the sliders should go up and down according to gravity when it's unassembled. I lubed it up and I have to push it up and down to move it. I can't recall if it was like that before. Thanks.

On my FC660Cs, the sliders move freely with gravity. If your lube is highly viscous, it's probably creating some extra friction. Of course, if the feel is better, it's not necessarily a problem.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #7559 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 11:44:12 »
On programmable Korean customs, what is the "GUI" key that is sometimes programmed by default?

Also, is Alt Gr different than Alt? Another language, perhaps?

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #7560 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 11:46:51 »

Uh, not sure about the HHKB Pro 2, but I assume it's the same as with Realforces, and I didn't have to push the unlubed sliders in order for them to move.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7561 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 11:54:24 »
On programmable Korean customs, what is the "GUI" key that is sometimes programmed by default?

Also, is Alt Gr different than Alt? Another language, perhaps?

GUI is the display like what the EASY AVR uses, yes?

Alt Gr is what they call the right alt in non US countries. It works the same as ALT in an ANSI Layout.

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #7562 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 11:55:01 »
They should move free by gravity, when you turn the top case upside-down the sliders should fall and flip it they should fall the other way. I am sure they should move freely on a stock HHKB or Realforce from my experience with them. Maybe too thick or heavy lube is holding them from free movement?

Offline intelli78

« Reply #7563 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 12:05:20 »
GUI is the display like what the EASY AVR uses, yes?

Alt Gr is what they call the right alt in non US countries. It works the same as ALT in an ANSI Layout.

Thanks. Well, yeah, GUI is graphic user interface, but I mean, specifically, what is the key? For example, as seen in the Kingsaver programming tool:

When I was programming my Duck Mini, I believe there was also a key programmed as "GUI" by default.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #7564 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 12:06:28 »
GUI is the same thing as the "Windows" key. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline intelli78

« Reply #7565 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 12:06:51 »
GUI is the same thing as the "Windows" key. :)

Ah, thank you!

Offline intelli78

« Reply #7566 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 14:28:19 »
OK, here I come, with another question!

I just started an extended writing session on my Duck Mini for the first time, and realized that pressing the Fn key causes other modifiers to be released. I am trying to hold shift and use a Fn layer HHKB-style arrow key shortcut to select text, but it's not working, because the Shift key is being released when I press Fn. What's up with that?!? Is there a way to work around it?

I could desolder the 1u Fn key, put in a 2.75x right shift (which I might do anyway), and use the right Ctrl with software remapping to achieve roughly the same thing. But, it seems like a serious firmware bug if the keyboard can't support Shift + Fn.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 April 2014, 14:31:05 by intelli78 »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #7567 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 17:15:43 »
IIRC, that's been a firmware bug (or intended) for a while now. I don't know of any fixes, unfortunately.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline intelli78

« Reply #7568 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 17:19:19 »
IIRC, that's been a firmware bug (or intended) for a while now. I don't know of any fixes, unfortunately.

Shat. Does it affect other Korean customs, too? I thought the Duck Mini used the same controller as most Korean customs. That's a pretty serious bug

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #7569 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 18:11:38 »

Shat. Does it affect other Korean customs, too? I thought the Duck Mini used the same controller as most Korean customs. That's a pretty serious bug

I don't actually know, sorry.

Would someone scan and upload the manual for a ducky shine 3? I don't know if the guy I got mine from is gonna ship it with one or not. I forgot to ask him...

Thanks!
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7570 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 18:49:32 »

I don't actually know, sorry.

Would someone scan and upload the manual for a ducky shine 3? I don't know if the guy I got mine from is gonna ship it with one or not. I forgot to ask him...

Thanks!

You can download it from ducky.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #7571 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 18:51:18 »
Awesome, thanks. I looked it up and found it.

Offline rockhawksam

• I'm a big dirty **** Hawk
    • tanglingstars.com
« Reply #7572 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 21:11:00 »
What are my options if I want to buy a custom keyboard and build it myself? I really wated to get in on the lightsaver v2 gb but I missed it, and Kmacs are only available on Originative (which seems to be rather sketchy.) Thanks!

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #7573 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 21:12:00 »
What are my options if I want to buy a custom keyboard and build it myself? I really wated to get in on the lightsaver v2 gb but I missed it, and Kmacs are only available on Originative (which seems to be rather sketchy.) Thanks!

If you have a Korean proxy you can get KMAC's from kbdmod.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7574 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 21:12:45 »

There are A LOT of custom keyboards. LZ, KMAC, Duck0113's boards, Lightsavers, Phantoms, and direct wired boards are just off the top of my head. You should really look around the media threads such as the Post your Koreans threads or What did you add to your keyboard today for some ideas.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #7575 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 21:19:52 »
GON! You forgot GON! I love GON!

Offline combataran

« Reply #7576 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 22:10:38 »
Help me identify the caps on these boards?

Cherry G80-1000HFD | CM Storm Spawn | Keypuller.com - Key Caps News & Database

Offline rockhawksam

• tanglingstars.com
« Reply #7577 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 22:10:55 »

There are A LOT of custom keyboards. LZ, KMAC, Duck0113's boards, Lightsavers, Phantoms, and direct wired boards are just off the top of my head. You should really look around the media threads such as the Post your Koreans threads or What did you add to your keyboard today for some ideas.
The problem is I don't know where to buy them pre-assembly.

Offline rockhawksam

• tanglingstars.com
« Reply #7578 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 22:12:05 »

Show Image

Show Image

Dolch set on the first one, not sure on #2

Offline rockhawksam

• tanglingstars.com
« Reply #7579 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 22:17:17 »

Do you mean a person to order it and ship it to me for a fee? Where would I find such a person?

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #7580 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 22:19:25 »

Show Image

Show Image

1st picture: OG Dolch + some WoB modifiers.
2nd picture: Looks like a set of OG Cherry Black on Beige doubleshots.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #7581 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 22:21:35 »

Do you mean a person to order it and ship it to me for a fee? Where would I find such a person?

Yes, unless you know someone from Korea personally. Maybe you can find someone here on GH, either with a hook up or perhaps there are some people from Korea here who would be willing to proxy for you. Not sure if there are any 'dedicated' KR proxies out there? Someone here might know.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #7582 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 22:32:34 »

GON! You forgot GON! I love GON!

Honestly, GONs are fantastic, and they're definitely available for self-assembly.  Get one!  GON is also one of the best people to work with; he helped me with things months after I purchased from, he's a great seller.

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
« Reply #7583 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 00:27:50 »

There is a KMAC HAPPY in stock. Are the keyboards there pre-assembled unless otherwise stated, or do they come as components?

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #7584 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 00:38:03 »

There is a KMAC HAPPY in stock. Are the keyboards there pre-assembled unless otherwise stated, or do they come as components?

No idea. Maybe there's an option to order with assembly? I don't have personal experience with kbdmod. I'm not sure, but I think dustinhxc (you can PM him and ask) ordered a KMAC Happy from that site.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #7585 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 13:29:55 »

No idea. Maybe there's an option to order with assembly? I don't have personal experience with kbdmod. I'm not sure, but I think dustinhxc (you can PM him and ask) ordered a KMAC Happy from that site.

Hnng, so much money for just the kit.

Also, I know how to build kmacs.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #7586 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 13:34:10 »

Show Image

Show Image

2nd picture is dyesubs
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #7587 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 15:46:57 »

Show Image

Show Image

2nd picture is dyesubs

Ah, weak brightness on the LEDs then - my LEDs shine through dyesubs like crazy.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #7588 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 15:50:48 »
Could also just be BSP dyesubs, which are thick and don't let light through.

Because there isn't a 1x blank, I'm pretty sure those are BSP.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #7589 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 16:01:35 »
Yeah, but these are just as thick and let light through.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #7590 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 17:52:06 »
Do G81-3000 or G80-3000 cases work with deck legends?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #7591 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 18:23:33 »
People who own the tekmats - are they washable?

Offline tbc

« Reply #7592 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 23:26:21 »
thick or very think GH krytox lube for ergo clears using blue springs?

will blue springs even work?
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #7593 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 23:28:57 »

from what ive heard from the koreans is that thin lube+clears+blue/red/brown springs iss the only way to prevent it from sticking

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #7594 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 00:15:28 »

from what ive heard from the koreans is that thin lube+clears+blue/red/brown springs iss the only way to prevent it from sticking

I used brown springs with clear stems and no lube for a few months before I got my lube.  Not one key stuck.  I was using a stock clear spring in the spacebar though.  And they were used clear stems.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
« Reply #7595 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 03:05:02 »
Is there a guide on Cherry POS keyboards and their keycaps anywhere? I'm interested in purchasing one off eBay, preferably with doubleshots.

Additionally, what other keycaps will I need to complete a standard set with Cherry doubleshots, and where can I purchase this? (Is Moogle kit enough? Is there one that exists that is a replica of Cherry doubleshots?)

Offline combataran

« Reply #7596 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 04:43:29 »
What caps are these?

Cherry G80-1000HFD | CM Storm Spawn | Keypuller.com - Key Caps News & Database

Offline Candyflip

• ★★★
« Reply #7597 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 05:52:25 »
What caps are these?

Show Image

They are BSP dyesubs with a mix of DESKO rgb set. (from DanGWanG's blog)
This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #7598 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 07:17:19 »
What caps are these?

More
They are BSP dyesubs with a mix of DESKO rgb set. (from DanGWanG's blog)

The orange legends should also be from a Desko iirc.

So the Koreans are using mkawas kits? :rolleyes:
The thick lube should work I think. The very thick lube is meant to be used for Topre.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7599 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 07:25:29 »
People who own the tekmats - are they washable?

Yes but I only hand wash them. Mine's fraying from normal usage at work so I wouldn't throw it in a washing machine.

1) Is there a guide on Cherry POS keyboards and their keycaps anywhere?

2) Additionally, what other keycaps will I need to complete a standard set with Cherry doubleshots, and where can I purchase this? Is Moogle kit enough?

3) Is there one that exists that is a replica of Cherry doubleshots?

1) Check out this article from DT Wiki

2) You'll need a Moogle, CMYK set, or perhaps order from the CYMW set coming up. I'm currently unsure which stock Cherry boards have a centered 1.25x ANSI mod row.

3) Yes, tinlong is running a GB for them now.

Do G81-3000 or G80-3000 cases work with deck legends?

Taking a quick look at the two keyboards, there seems to be slight differences in the bezels. I'm going to guess no but I'm not 100% sure.

Guys can we start using multi-quote? Double and triple posting is making this thread a little messy for when I go back through it. Please and thanks!