Author Topic: Interesting article on advertising vs privacy  (Read 3215 times)

Offline F eq ma

Interesting article on advertising vs privacy
« on: Wed, 19 January 2022, 22:23:41 »
Found the following an interesting read.   Thought I would share.

https://freedom-to-tinker.com/2021/11/22/signal-loss-and-advertising-privacy-on-facebook/

Made me recall when people would add keywords to emails to disrupt searching algorithms.   Could a browser flood random advertising bits to disrupt the data collection?   Could the public hijack the system to make tracking impossible.  I suspect not.   It is a whack a mole with advertising having deep pockets always winning.   In a way, the same dynamic is with hacker groups.  We can react, but always in the defense.

Offline ddot

• Master of Suspense

Offline jennyluce

Re: Interesting article on advertising vs privacy
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 21 January 2022, 03:48:13 »
That is really awesome.

Offline Stupidface

• Looks like I picked the wrong week to joinGeekhack
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 23 January 2022, 23:13:07 »
Found the following an interesting read.   Thought I would share.

https://freedom-to-tinker.com/2021/11/22/signal-loss-and-advertising-privacy-on-facebook/

It is a worthwhile article (the "signal loss" euphemism was of particular interest for students of doubletalk like myself).  However, to my mind this quote places it in, "believe it when you see it, not before" territory:

In this article I’ll discuss some indications that Facebook is beginning to adjust its advertising-tracking model so they can make money without invading your privacy quite as much.

I am unclear as to why they would want to change their multi billion-dollar making ways when their proven and lucrative business model is entirely predicated on violating the privacy of its users. 

The author of the article seems willing to put his faith into Facebook changing its ways, but the vague "indications" he describes are not, to my mind, very convincing.  From a cost/benefit perspective, I should think it far cheaper for Zuckerbook to simply buy off irksome politicians as needed and continue to keep doing what they have always done: contrive new and interesting ways to violate the privacy of their users.

Having said that, I do find MPC an interesting concept and I thank you for bringing it to my attention; it sounds like a collaborative tool with great potential.  And whilst I am sceptical that Zuckerbook has any incentive to pay it more than token attention, I am always delighted to be pleasantly surprised.

Some years ago, a chap at IBM came up with a superb chart to show Zuckerbook users what the platform was doing to them:

http://www.mattmckeon.com/facebook-privacy/

It would be wonderful if the *book people would change their ways to the point where an updated chart would show user privacy expanding rather than contracting.

(I'll believe it when I see it.)

« Last Edit: Sun, 23 January 2022, 23:23:25 by Stupidface »

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 24 January 2022, 08:49:35 »

buy off irksome politicians as needed

The story of the downfall of US society in 6 words.

An excellent book that places these problems in historical context:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28503628-the-attention-merchants
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"