Author Topic: I want to make a small custom macro pad but I hve no idea where to look  (Read 6607 times)

Offline Nickagero

So I want to make a small macro pad to test out a few different switches and keycaps that is also usable for quick macros ike ctrl+z ctrl+f  but I have no idea how.
should I look for really small pcb's cases and plates, but where?.
Or do I just buy a macropad and change the switches?
Or could I change the input of a numpad maybe?
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 December 2020, 07:37:25 by Nickagero »

Offline LucaLo_

• CK Stan
Re: I want to make a small custom macro pad but I hve no idea where to look
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 01 December 2020, 07:44:08 »
https://keeb.io/products/bdn9-3x3-9-key-macropad-rotary-encoder-support

Here's a solid one. If you want custom macros I think you might have to learn some qmk, but also possible that they're easy to set in via.

Offline MakerJake

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 31 December 2020, 07:47:36 »
I made a macro using a Sparkfun pro micro and a custom PCB. Making one from scratch would take more time and has a higher chance of it messing up but you learn a lot. You can get qmk on a pro micro easily and there are some that have USB c.

It sounds like you want it to have hot-swap so you can test out different switches. I found this 9 key hot-swap on aliexpress. It says it has qmk support and it shouldn't be to hard to get it to work with via if it doesn't already.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000510880374.html

Offline Bitdrive

• * Maker
  • Sup I’m new and takin a look around
    • @bitdrive Instagram
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 31 January 2021, 20:05:53 »
Late to the party but if you’re still looking I’d recommend KPrepublic.com they have a couple small macropads from 4x4 to 2x1 so there should be something for you.

https://kprepublic.com/products/xd004-xiudi-4-custom-mechanical-keyboard-4-keys-switch-leds-pcb-programmed-hot-swappable-macro-key-silver-case-micro-port?_pos=5&_sid=9e1a4ddea&_ss=r

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 31 January 2021, 23:04:38 »
There's also a bunch of 3d printed ones where you use a Pro-Micro controller (under $10), if you have access to a 3d printer.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion