Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3521680 times)

Offline Bomble

Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #12800 on: Mon, 20 July 2015, 02:40:21 »
Is there any information that I could have possibly missed on when the new CTRL[ALT] store / Penumbra R2 is going to happen, or is it just remaining at soon for the time being?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12801 on: Mon, 20 July 2015, 06:45:32 »
I recently purchased a Maltron 2-handed keyboard, and Soarer's converter from Orihalcon. Everything is working well (I'm using it right now to type on), but I would like to reprogram the layout extensively.

More
Reassigning letters is easy enough, but  would like to split some of the punctuation (like moving the ' and " to two completely separate unshifted keys), and move the number keys up one row to the current function keys. Finally, I would like to make F1-F10 available by shift+number (F10 would be shift-0). Here is a picture to illustrate what it looks like currently on the left side of the keyboard:
Show Image

I think my problem is that I'm not sure whether shift is treated like a function that accesses a different layer (which would make lower case letters, functions, some punctuation, and numbers on one layer, and upper case letters and most punctuation as a different layer), or if it acts as a macro trigger, or maybe something else entirely. I would like to use the most elegant solution, so if anyone can point me to code (even a single example!) that shows how to accomplish A) Moving shifted punctuation to another unshifted key, and B) Making a function key (say, F1) a shift+number setting, I would be very thankful! ;D

Hope that's simple enough. Thanks!

I'm not an expert of the Soarer converter but can't you just tweak the TMK or EasyAVR firmware to fit your need? Seems like what you're asking is very simple.

Is there any information that I could have possibly missed on when the new CTRL[ALT] store / Penumbra R2 is going to happen, or is it just remaining at soon for the time being?

I've not heard anything about either.

Offline Bomble

« Reply #12802 on: Mon, 20 July 2015, 07:31:43 »

Awesome, I was worried I'd missed something. Cheers!

Offline BobBobFSGG

« Reply #12803 on: Mon, 20 July 2015, 12:55:53 »
Who's Leeku?

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #12804 on: Mon, 20 July 2015, 12:58:41 »
Who's Leeku?
PCB maker, he is most known for on here as the maker of the 1800 and 3000 layout compatible PCBs, which are good for people restoring old boards.

Offline BobBobFSGG

« Reply #12805 on: Mon, 20 July 2015, 13:02:22 »
Who's Leeku?
PCB maker, he is most known for on here as the maker of the 1800 and 3000 layout compatible PCBs, which are good for people restoring old boards.

So he comes from one of the Korean keyboard communities or? Anything else he designed yet expect those two PCBs?

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #12806 on: Mon, 20 July 2015, 13:05:12 »
Who's Leeku?

So he comes from one of the Korean keyboard communities or? Anything else he designed yet expect those two PCBs?
Yeah, my bad.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12807 on: Mon, 20 July 2015, 13:07:44 »
Who's Leeku?

Yes he's from the Korean keyboard communities. AFAIK, he's only made those two PCBs.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #12808 on: Mon, 20 July 2015, 13:13:25 »
Who's Leeku?

Yes he's from the Korean keyboard communities. AFAIK, he's only made those two PCBs.
He also has made the LZ-SQ PCB, a 75% PCB, a 60% PCB. I think he makes the PCBs for LZ

Offline BobBobFSGG

« Reply #12809 on: Mon, 20 July 2015, 13:17:27 »
I was thinking of all more or less relatively available (not one or two offs) custom 75% keyboards on the market:

"Upcoming" Leeku 75%;
Duck Octagon;
Various MX Mini iterations (Gon, Kaliet, LifeZone, Sprit, Winkeyless);
Red Scarf 3 84.

Anyone have something else to add? Don't think i missed anything.

Can anyone educate about Red Scarf, is it some Chinese designer/project?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12810 on: Mon, 20 July 2015, 13:21:08 »
More
I was thinking of all more or less relatively available (not one or two offs) custom 75% keyboards on the market:

"Upcoming" Leeku 75%;
Duck Octagon;
Various MX Mini iterations (Gon, Kaliet, LifeZone, Sprit, Winkeyless);
Red Scarf 3 84.

1) Anyone have something else to add? Don't think i missed anything.

2) Can anyone educate about Red Scarf, is it some Chinese designer/project?

1) Seems right to me.

2) Yup, it's a keyboard and PCB out of one of the Chinese communities.

He also has made the LZ-SQ PCB, a 75% PCB, a 60% PCB. I think he makes the PCBs for LZ

Cool thanks for the info.
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 July 2015, 13:27:24 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Snarfangel

« Reply #12811 on: Mon, 20 July 2015, 18:43:16 »
I recently purchased a Maltron 2-handed keyboard, and Soarer's converter from Orihalcon. Everything is working well (I'm using it right now to type on), but I would like to reprogram the layout extensively.

More
Reassigning letters is easy enough, but  would like to split some of the punctuation (like moving the ' and " to two completely separate unshifted keys), and move the number keys up one row to the current function keys. Finally, I would like to make F1-F10 available by shift+number (F10 would be shift-0). Here is a picture to illustrate what it looks like currently on the left side of the keyboard:
Show Image

I think my problem is that I'm not sure whether shift is treated like a function that accesses a different layer (which would make lower case letters, functions, some punctuation, and numbers on one layer, and upper case letters and most punctuation as a different layer), or if it acts as a macro trigger, or maybe something else entirely. I would like to use the most elegant solution, so if anyone can point me to code (even a single example!) that shows how to accomplish A) Moving shifted punctuation to another unshifted key, and B) Making a function key (say, F1) a shift+number setting, I would be very thankful! ;D

I'm not an expert of the Soarer converter but can't you just tweak the TMK or EasyAVR firmware to fit your need? Seems like what you're asking is very simple.

Thanks, I will try them out!

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #12812 on: Mon, 20 July 2015, 21:33:00 »
I recently purchased a Maltron 2-handed keyboard, and Soarer's converter from Orihalcon. Everything is working well (I'm using it right now to type on), but I would like to reprogram the layout extensively. Reassigning letters is easy enough, but  would like to split some of the punctuation (like moving the ' and " to two completely separate unshifted keys), and move the number keys up one row to the current function keys. Finally, I would like to make F1-F10 available by shift+number (F10 would be shift-0). Here is a picture to illustrate what it looks like currently on the left side of the keyboard:
Show Image

I don't think double quote has its own scancode, so to get it to show up in a single keypress you'd probably need to set a macro:

Code: [Select]
macro DOUBLE_QUOTE
  PUSH_META CLEAR_META all
  SET_META LSHIFT
  PRESS QUOTE
  POP_ALL_META
endmacro

I haven't tested this, just modified something in one of my soarer configs that might suit your needs.

FWIW I have yet to figure out how to unset an existing shift keypress

There is also the "official" soarer converter thread, although the man himself isn't really active with it. Maybe others there can help you.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #12813 on: Mon, 20 July 2015, 21:34:45 »
ok so does aaaaaaaanyone know anything about programming a 456?
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #12814 on: Mon, 20 July 2015, 21:36:01 »

I need to know this too
I love Elzy

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #12815 on: Mon, 20 July 2015, 21:50:24 »

I need to know this too

I've asked like 3 times and apparently no one knows

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12816 on: Mon, 20 July 2015, 21:58:04 »

I need to know this too

Did you try PMing people who own one like I suggested instead of bumping your question? I just sent a bunch of PMs to random people who have owned one in the past.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #12817 on: Mon, 20 July 2015, 22:22:32 »

I need to know this too

Did you try PMing people who own one like I suggested instead of bumping your question? I just sent a bunch of PMs to random people who have owned one in the past.
Sent a few, no response so far. I'll try again

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #12818 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 05:43:15 »

This thread is for *simple* answers  :))
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12819 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 06:54:30 »

More

I need to know this too

I got two no ideas right now.

Offline BobBobFSGG

« Reply #12820 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 09:05:57 »
Are there any custom or otherwise 60% keyboards with added F row on top?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12821 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 09:10:05 »

Not that I can think of. Closest thing is probably a 75% like a custom MX Mini, stock Race, or a Keycool Hero.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #12822 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 09:14:27 »

There was this IC from Margo about a year ago: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=64168.msg1501915#msg1501915

But I don't think it will ever be done.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Snarfangel

« Reply #12823 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 09:24:18 »
I recently purchased a Maltron 2-handed keyboard, and Soarer's converter from Orihalcon. Everything is working well (I'm using it right now to type on), but I would like to reprogram the layout extensively. Reassigning letters is easy enough, but  would like to split some of the punctuation (like moving the ' and " to two completely separate unshifted keys), and move the number keys up one row to the current function keys. Finally, I would like to make F1-F10 available by shift+number (F10 would be shift-0). Here is a picture to illustrate what it looks like currently on the left side of the keyboard:
Show Image

I don't think double quote has its own scancode, so to get it to show up in a single keypress you'd probably need to set a macro:

Code: [Select]
macro DOUBLE_QUOTE
  PUSH_META CLEAR_META all
  SET_META LSHIFT
  PRESS QUOTE
  POP_ALL_META
endmacro

I haven't tested this, just modified something in one of my soarer configs that might suit your needs.

FWIW I have yet to figure out how to unset an existing shift keypress

There is also the "official" soarer converter thread, although the man himself isn't really active with it. Maybe others there can help you.

Thank you! I will play around and see if I can get things to work. But only with a single key at a time, so I don't accidentally make things *too*
bizarre. :)

I will check the official Soarer thread. I know he has been gone awhile -- I hope he knows that Geekhackers are worried about him.  :(

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12824 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 09:26:35 »

There was this IC from Margo about a year ago: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=64168.msg1501915#msg1501915

But I don't think it will ever be done.

Looks like this just came out too: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=73572.0

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #12825 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 10:17:12 »
Like Noppoo Nano75? I don't think I've seen anything. There's one 60% with additional F keys on the side though (thus 70%).

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #12826 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 10:44:25 »
If someone can tell me what controller the 456 GT uses it'd be easier to figure out
I love Elzy

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #12827 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 10:49:16 »
If someone can tell me what controller the 456 GT uses it'd be easier to figure out

It probably uses the ATmega32A, but I have no way of confirming that.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Cicada88

« Reply #12828 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 13:59:04 »
When I hold down the 'a' key on my HHKB it only types 1 a and does not repeat.  All the other keys I have tried seem to repeat normally.

Is this normal behavior?

Mac OSX by the way

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #12829 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 14:03:49 »
When I hold down the 'a' key on my HHKB it only types 1 a and does not repeat.  All the other keys I have tried seem to repeat normally.

Is this normal behavior?

Mac OSX by the way

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Seems like my hhkb repeats!  :)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #12830 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 14:29:23 »

Is this normal behavior?

Mac OSX by the way

This is the stock HHKB controller?  That's not normal behavior.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12831 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 14:42:33 »

More

I need to know this too

ekw808 replied to my PM with this message concerning the matter of reprogramming a 456:

I do not know how to program it, I remember alaric helped me with mine. I do know there are dip switches you can use to change some aspects of the layout, but as I recall, it was not 100% programmable.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 July 2015, 14:44:54 by CPTBadAss »

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #12832 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 16:32:37 »
I did a boatload of digging on my 356 Mini when I got it, learned a bit which you 456GT guys might be interested in:

The 356mini is different. It uses a different controller. The 356CL, DGE, 360c, 456 use atmega16. The 356mini uses atmega32

They are fairly identical older A87's and OTD pcb.

I made contact with the guy who wrote a web-based GUI for reprogramming the 356 Mini. It's a GUI that sits on top of an older version of ps2avr, which is what a few others told me to use as well.

Here's that version of ps2avr: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ps2avr/

And a link to the GUI that I located: https://mega.co.nz/#!jtRSzKDK!vkxDEQA4AHJn1e2LLFtPYVxRg2H2CfEA8yO3oDwTNVs

I'll see if I can get a mirror up for some of the other material I have. Any suggestions on a good place to host that stuff?

Might be nice to start a thread for this.

Side note: None of the are "programmable" in the friendly sense. They all need to have their firmware flashed with a new layout. I was suggested to get an AVR ISP as well, though I'm not familiar enough with flashing firmware to know how that fits in.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 July 2015, 16:39:19 by pr0ximity »
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #12833 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 16:38:12 »
Wait so it's an aikon controller? If so that makes it incredibly easy, if not then I still have no definitive idea. I don't have a 456 GT to play around with myself. I'm 99 percent sure it's fully programmable though.
I love Elzy

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #12834 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 16:40:11 »
Wait so it's an aikon controller? If so that makes it incredibly easy, if not then I still have no definitive idea. I don't have a 456 GT to play around with myself. I'm 99 percent sure it's fully programmable though.

I believe so, or if not it's very close. I'm not educated enough to say for sure.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #12835 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 17:16:07 »
I remember seeing a post on GH about programming a Leeku PCB and I think it had link to the proper files, does anyone know what I am talking about?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12836 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 17:17:31 »
I remember seeing a post on GH about programming a Leeku PCB and I think it had link to the proper files, does anyone know what I am talking about?

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=72783.0

This?

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #12837 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 17:23:37 »

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=72783.0

This?
I think so, yeah. Thank you!

Offline Cicada88

« Reply #12838 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 17:37:32 »

Is this normal behavior?

Mac OSX by the way

Yeah completely stock.

I just did some more testing and a couple of other keys act the same way.  A, C, Y, U, and =

Also the system recognizes they are being held down because I get diacritical mark options (they pop up when you hold a button down)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12839 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 17:39:21 »

Is this normal behavior?

Mac OSX by the way

Yeah completely stock.

I just did some more testing and a couple of other keys act the same way.  A, C, Y, U, and =

Also the system recognizes they are being held down because I get diacritical mark options (they pop up when you hold a button down)

I know this is really silly but I thought I'd ask. Did you reboot your computer and plug/unplug your HHKB?

Offline Cicada88

« Reply #12840 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 18:38:05 »
Yeah I plug and unplug frequently because I use a docked laptop with external monitor.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #12841 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 19:57:43 »
Yeah completely stock.

Sounds silly, but have you tried a different keyboard? Same keyboard on a different PC? Looked at the Keyboard settings in System Prefs? Could also try it as a different user on the same PC. I feel like it would be very unusual for it to be an issue with the keyboard itself. Especially if you can type all of A, C, Y, U, and = normally.

Offline BobBobFSGG

« Reply #12842 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 02:43:30 »
Just curious, was there any more keyboards released with Micro USB connection instead of standard Mini USB after WASD V2 release? Custom or mass produced, just anything.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #12843 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 05:30:56 »
Just curious, was there any more keyboards released with Micro USB connection instead of standard Mini USB after WASD V2 release? Custom or mass produced, just anything.
NovaTouch

Offline BobBobFSGG

« Reply #12844 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 06:07:25 »
NovaTouch

Oh so two keyboards - NovaTouch and Rapid-i, that's quite the rate of adoption. From what year was WASD V2 released, 2012/13? With such progress will get there in 2045. :D

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12845 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 08:59:18 »

More

I need to know this too

ekw808 replied to my PM with this message concerning the matter of reprogramming a 456:

I do not know how to program it, I remember alaric helped me with mine. I do know there are dip switches you can use to change some aspects of the layout, but as I recall, it was not 100% programmable.

Ghostjuggernaut said that margo baggins might know? Bunnylake might know too since he's got one.

Offline Cicada88

« Reply #12846 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 13:30:28 »
Yeah completely stock.

Sounds silly, but have you tried a different keyboard? Same keyboard on a different PC? Looked at the Keyboard settings in System Prefs? Could also try it as a different user on the same PC. I feel like it would be very unusual for it to be an issue with the keyboard itself. Especially if you can type all of A, C, Y, U, and = normally.

Good idea I will try the laptop keyboard and my Filco later today and report back.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #12847 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 13:36:42 »
NovaTouch

Oh so two keyboards - NovaTouch and Rapid-i, that's quite the rate of adoption. From what year was WASD V2 released, 2012/13? With such progress will get there in 2045. :D

WASD V2 (Code) was mid-late 2013. (can't find a source other than people talking about it in late 2013 and I know it wasn't out in 2012 when I bought mine :P )

I don't really see the need for micro USB in keyboards.  Sure, it's an upgrade, but then you'll need new USB cables if you already have custom cables.  Plus, you're usually not plugging and unplugging all that often (except for those that commute with the board).
Also, the only USB plug that I've had break on a keyboard was USB micro.  ;)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #12848 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 14:29:38 »
I wouldn't have carry so many cables around, if my keyboard used microUSB.

Offline BobBobFSGG

« Reply #12849 on: Fri, 24 July 2015, 03:13:46 »
Why don't we still have custom keyboards utilizing Cherry MX RGBs? Exclusivity deal ended, not sure if switches are available en mass though. It's not like Korean designers don't redesign PCBs every so often, so i don't get it - what the problem adding controller capable of manipulating RGB switches themselves?

Any predictions of when, if at all, we'll see such Korean/Chinese custom keyboards popping up?