Author Topic: looking for HHKB custom controller with ps2 support  (Read 1576 times)

Offline atavax

looking for HHKB custom controller with ps2 support
« on: Mon, 20 July 2015, 16:50:42 »
I have a hhkb pro2, my understanding is that the hhkb controller is incompatible with ps2 but that hhkb are easy use a custom controller. Anyone aware of a custom controller that makes hhkb pro2 compatible with ps2?

Offline False_Dmitry_II

Re: looking for HHKB custom controller with ps2 support
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 01:45:46 »
I'm not a topre bro, I'm more of a retro board fan. As such I know full well that most people are super obsessed with getting their keyboards on USB even though PS/2 is technically better. This being the case I don't think something like that even exists.

Additionally since those are capacitive, I don't think it would be within reach of programming a teensy yourself. At least not without converting from USB to PS/2, which kind of misses the point.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 02:17:35 »
The reason it doesn't work as as standard is because the USB from the computer connects to the internal hub, not straight to the keyboard controller.

Technically I'm sure what you request could be done by a Teensy, but has anyone done USB->PS2?  I don't think so.  Hasu has a thread detailing how to make the HHKB work with a Teensy to make it' programmable, then you could probably connect that to a PS2 to USB adaptor to make it work?

I'll try and find an adaptor and a PS2 motherboard (I think mine at work is) and will let you know if my JD40 works as that's on a Teensy so will look the same to a computer :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 04:37:59 »
But you still lose the whole point of using PS/2 if it is converted from USB. At that point just use USB.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 11:15:49 »
I'd imagine it could be done if you hooked straight into the matrix and bypassed the internal USB hub, no?

But at that point you'd have to re-code the whole capacitance-analog-to-digital conversion yourself (one of the main barriers to a DIY Topre switch)

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 16:54:45 »
That's what I was saying. It is easy to do with an Alps or a Space Invaders, you just wire it up to a teensy and use maybe soarers controller.

I suppose you could try to steal code from some of the IBM model F stuff, but I don't know how much those controllers redid as well. Like the xwhatsit? I hadn't really looked into those much.

Offline atavax

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 22:37:17 »
I'm surprised it hasn't been done before. I mean, HHKB being moddable, and topre primarily being very enthusiast centric and ps2 being more desirable for enthusiasts. But if it hasn't been done, doubt I'm going to be the one to do it, with no 3experience and I can't even access the internet on my pc.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 17:36:51 »
Well, I'm not sure computer enthusiast and keyboard enthusiast are the same thing.

Even when I don't have a PS/2 port available I just use an adapter. But I've even seen people open up IBM model M's and then put adapters inside. Because this way they just have a USB cable coming from the keyboard which is somehow much better.