Author Topic: Which cherry switch should I use?  (Read 5471 times)

Offline Kenefick

Which cherry switch should I use?
« on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 04:39:06 »
Okay, so yesterday I've asked you guys to help me pick a keyboard and indeed you have,
now after i know what keyboard i'm gonna get the question is:

Red switches or Brown switches - I'm gonna mainly use it for gaming for the next year, then probably it'll be for studying.

KEYBOARD:
Ducky Channel Zero DK2108SZ Gaming

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
Re: Which cherry switch should I use?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 04:40:54 »
Black.

Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Kenefick

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 04:51:38 »
Black.

It's not one of the options mate. lol

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 04:55:32 »
still black mate.

Both red and browns are terrible.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Kenefick

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 04:56:23 »
still black mate.

This keyboard is the chosen one, it comes only as red and brown.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 05:10:00 »
No-one can tell you which switch you prefer - it is something that is entirely subjective.

Both reds and browns are light switches.  I find both to be too light.

Reds are linear - a smooth stroke all the way to the bottom.

Browns are slightly tactile - a little bump just as the switch actuates.

Both switches have their dedicated followers, perhaps a few more seem to prefer browns, but there's at least as many who prefer different switches altogether.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Kenefick

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 05:22:20 »
No-one can tell you which switch you prefer - it is something that is entirely subjective.

Both switches have their dedicated followers, perhaps a few more seem to prefer browns, but there's at least as many who prefer different switches altogether.

But each switch must have his own purpose, my main current purpose is gaming,  so which one of the following would serve me better?

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 05:35:50 »

But each switch must have his own purpose, my main current purpose is gaming,  so which one of the following would serve me better?

Not at all.

It's a matter of personnal preference.

Which is why it's a non sense to suggest a switch because it's up to each individual.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 05:40:42 »

Any switch is good for gaming - MX red, brown, black, green, clear.  Maybe not MX gray.

Or Topre - 45g, 55g.  Probably not variable, unless it's a game that involves touch-typing :))

Buckling spring.

There are many threads with people asking are X switches good for gaming - and the answer is usually "yes".
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline seville57

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 05:59:05 »
Okay, so yesterday I've asked you guys to help me pick a keyboard and indeed you have,

Red switches or Brown switches - I'm gonna mainly use it for gaming for the next year, then probably it'll be for studying.

KEYBOARD:

Show Image

The best you can do is go to PC shop and test the switches there.

I'm usin Black, Red and Brown for games.

The k-boards are Ducky Shine 3.
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 July 2015, 06:00:55 by seville57 »

Offline Kenefick

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 06:11:44 »

KEYBOARD:

Show Image

The best you can do is go to PC shop and test the switches there.

I'm usin Black, Red and Brown for games.

The k-boards are Ducky Shine 3.

K, i'm going to test it in the shop.
You're keyboard has more than one kind of a switch?
And which switch makes YOU feel the most comfortable?

Offline nuzey

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 06:51:29 »
I have used cherry reds, browns, blue and topre 55g with the same order of purchase date. I still go back to my cherry reds as it is the ultimate choice for gaming for me.

The concensus here is that linear switch is the best for gaming which means red and black. And then typing is usually a switch with something tactile in between actuation and key presses or vice versa.

If you still dont believe me, you can try buying all switches like I did and I bet you will either end up with red for gaming. Maybe brown if you type a lot in game (chatting/troll-in-game).  :thumb:

Offline Data

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 08:19:56 »
I game on browns nearly every day.  The difference is entirely subjective.  I think the slight increase in resistance provided by the tactile bump helps prevent a lot of accidental key presses that would otherwise result from my bad keyboarding habits.   :-[

Offline Shaussman

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 08:36:42 »
The concensus here is that linear switch is the best for gaming which means red and black. And then typing is usually a switch with something tactile in between actuation and key presses or vice versa.

I've honestly never seem any such thing. It all comes down to preference. 

If you still dont believe me, you can try buying all switches like I did and I bet you will either end up with red for gaming. Maybe brown if you type a lot in game (chatting/troll-in-game).  :thumb:

This is the best choice no matter what
MX Brown Quickfire XT | MX Clear WASD VP3 | MX Blue Ducky Zero

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 09:07:37 »
It's down to preference.

My favorite switch out of the cherry line up is actually brown. I have a pok3r and I think the combination of the plate, metal chassis and thick pbt keycaps gives it a very delightful typing feel.

I came into the mechanical keyboard scene thinking that reds were the switch for me, but after typing on it for awhile, it just felt too light. The browns are still light for me, but the tactile bump helps out a bit.

My advice to you...is to buy multiple keyboards lol.

Offline seville57

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 09:33:26 »
Kenefick

Yes, I have one Ducky Shine 4 69 with 9 different switches on the same k-board.
http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1153

I don't like the blues and the greens on this board.

I have one Ducky Shine 3 Cherry MX Black.

My Ducky Shine 3 Cherry MX Red.

I don't have any picture of my Ducky Shine 3 Cherry MX Brown k-board only on my white Shine 2 Cherry MX Brown.

I like the Red best.
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 July 2015, 15:36:14 by seville57 »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 10:17:52 »
If you're going linear, save your money and just get a cheap rubberdome. Same feeling.

You could have also asked the same question in your other thread, no need to make another.
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 July 2015, 10:19:46 by demik »
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Seriously

• Filco forever
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 22:25:11 »
And which switch makes YOU feel the most comfortable?

I type/code and game on Topre 45G, Brown, Red, and Black all interchangeably. They all make me feel the most comfortable.
If it helps, my first board was on Browns.

My advice? It's not the end of the world. If you buy Reds/Browns and hate it, it's not like somebody just shot you. Don't be indecisive and just pick one. Sell the board if you don't like it, or swap the switches out.
It's not a big deal.

WASD CODE 104 - Filco Majestouch 2 - Filco Majestouch - Filco Majestouch 2 - Realforce 87UW 45G
Reserves: Filco Minila - KBtalking Pure Pro

Offline Vintage

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 23:22:32 »
Honestly they both feel very similar. Browns are Reds with a very slight bump. Some people swear by browns for their versatility but to me they just feel scratchy. Either one is fine for games or typing IMO.

Sorry to give the classic geekhack answer but you probably have to try them yourself :D
CM QFR w/ MX Reds  | Logitech G900

Offline VoteForDavid

• Vote For David
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 24 July 2015, 22:11:09 »
As someone who uses ergo clears...

Brown.  If you're going to type on it a lot, get browns.  I rest my fingers on my keys sometimes too hard and find myself actuating keys by accident, even with the huge(er) bump in the clears.  Reds I'd be accidentally striking all the time and go mad.
Jesus loves you.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 00:06:41 »
I mean I know it comes down to preference but why is it so hard to give him a simple answer.  Everyone is giving him such a huge loop around.

At least the last few posts start to get back on track and are actually helpful.

In any case, I like both MX Red and MX Brown, I like MX Red for gaming a bit better and MX Brown for typing a bit better.

Hope this helps.  :thumb:

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Screwdriver

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 08:57:07 »
I had a Corsair K70 with Reds and hated it. Went with a Deck Hassium Pro with Browns and love it for gaming. Typing on the Reds sucked, and gaming just felt odd. I like the subtle feedback on the Browns. But one game I play a lot, I use the arrow keys and I could see those being Reds or Blacks.
Realforce 87U/55g, Deck Hassium Pro-MX Browns, MK Disco TKL - KBT Browns, Code 87-MX Clears, KUL-87 MX Reds.

Offline Metalmind

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 09:26:45 »
After using browns, blues, greens for three years I went for reds just for curiosity how they feel. I love them for typing and gaming.
But i recommend browns for the first mecha. Browns helps a lot in the way you should type on  a mech

Offline hackderz

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 11:02:02 »
You should totally buy a cherry MX switch tester maybe at wasdkeyboards.
However, I find red switches as the best for gaming and only gaming, if you are going to type as much as play games, go for browns, they're good for typing and gaming.

And for studying, you should buy a book.
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 July 2015, 11:04:43 by hackderz »

Offline anowt

• "I want you to buckle my spring" ♪♪~
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 15:16:18 »
Black.

Second this. I tried a lot of switches, and the Blacks are best.
Front Line: IBM Model M SSK
Tactical Team: QFR TKL (MX Blue)
Recon: KUL ES-87 (MX Red)
Special Operations: RF 87U 55g

Offline Metalmind

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 15:24:34 »
Blacks are great switches. But not for everyone. I love them for typing

Offline Huxley2500

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 18:20:52 »
If it don't click it don't stick.

Offline VoteForDavid

• Vote For David
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 20:57:10 »
Blacks are too heavy.  It makes my arms tired just clicky-clacka-clicking away for 30 seconds on a keyboard with blacks.  It makes me have bad feelings about RSI in the near-term future, to use MX blacks.
Jesus loves you.

Offline temporal

• gear for the gear god
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 21:55:55 »
happy Ducky 69 owner here - greens for base and blues for mods is heaven!

that just goes to show that it's all down to personal preference

imo anyone can be at home on reds, they're exactly what you'd think they are - linear, light and responsive. great for gaming and typing and no surprises unless maybe you think they're a little too light

when you add that tactile bump and/or resistance, that's when you need to know what you're getting into

never really liked browns myself, just not tactile enough for a clicky switch

anyway, I think reds are an excellent baseline for comparison and a good starting point - one vote for reds

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 22:46:51 »
still black mate.

This keyboard is the chosen one, it comes only as red and brown.
If I had a nickel for everytime I said that, I would have about $.20.  Seriously though, you really have to try them all.  I've been through blues, clears, buckling spring, topre 45g, topre 55g, ergo clears, vintage blacks, browns, reds, and have some gaterons I plan to use very soon.  They all have their +'s and -'s.  I have my favorites, but do not think I will ever "settle" on one switch type.  Take a leap, and hope that you land safely.  Good luck, and let us know what you decide and how you like it.

Offline MagicMan

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 22:47:09 »
My first keyboard had MX Red's but I found that I would accidentally press keys while gaming because my fingers can get a little shaky. I use Blue's now which I really like they are just a little loud. I have never tried Browns but I have been considering trying them. Its hard to say because its really just down to the individual but I would recommend testing some out if you can.
Max Keyboard - Cherry MX blue

Offline cheebs

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 26 July 2015, 01:38:15 »
Many members here like to regurgitate the infamous "it's all personal preference" response to this kind of post, and while personal preference is the ultimate trump card for all other switch attributes, it's not the only thing that matters.  Linear switches (reds and blacks) are great for specialized applications, such as arcade game controllers that have no more than a few, distinguished (by large spacing and size) buttons.  You may also notice some professional gamers actually remove keycaps for keys they cannot afford to unintentionally press, thereby isolating the group of switches they actually need to use.  Fighting game controllers and osu! controllers are a great example of good applications for linear switches.  The user of these devices knows precisely where all of the buttons are, and intends to push them (sometimes repeatedly) very rapidly, without consideration for the slight bit of keypress confirmation that tacitlity provides.  Speed is the ultimate priority.  Blues, for example, are terrible for "high action" gaming due to the hysteresis.  If you're playing something with a much slower pace like an action-adventure game or something similar, obviously this wouldn't apply.  This "speed" of linear switches is the primary reason you will see arcades in Japan full of linear switches such as those offered by sanwa.  If you're gaming with a specialized controller, or only use a few keys on your keyboard, and need to "spam" keys frequently, linear switches are a great choice.

OTOH, on a keyboard that is also used for touch typing, the benefit that a tactile resistance barrier offers is invaluable.  Touch typing sentences requires long chains of presses on different keys in exact order, and since you're not looking at the keyboard, your brain is relying solely on touch and sound.  The challenge is not mashing out "AAAAAAAA" to buffer input into a tiny frame window so the combo connects, or timing a 4-keypress combo, it's typing a long-ass wall of text post like this with zero errors.  It's accuracy vs speed.  Of course both are important, but which is more valuable?  It depends on your use cases.

That being said, browns are a great choice here because the tactile bump is not so difficult to overcome, and the hysteresis is so low.  In general, I think people asking if they should buy reds would actually be more pleased and less error-prone with browns.  I wouldn't suggest buying reds unless you are using them for a specific game/application in which it makes perfect sense, or just plain love that switch despite its shortcomings in touch typing.

The "personal preference" preference response is getting really dated.  Personal preference defines every choice you make in your life.  No ****, choice is based on personal preference.  People posting here asking for which switch to buy aren't asking for you to choose an ice cream flavor for them, they're asking about intended applications of the switch, they just probably don't know to word it that way.  Although even if they did, I'm sure the response here would still be something along the lines of "it's all about personal preference bro".
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 July 2015, 01:48:56 by cheebs »

Offline VoteForDavid

• Vote For David
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 26 July 2015, 15:11:33 »
Just because the standard answer is old, doesn't mean it's not the right answer.  OP knows about the differences and knows what the application will be.  Everyone hesitates to drop a c-note on something they may not like, but the only way to know if you will like it is to try the action for yourself and find your own

personal

preference.
Jesus loves you.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 26 July 2015, 15:28:44 »
what VoteForDavid said.

you might even end up disliking something that you liked for a long time, simply because you hadn't tried certain alternatives yet.
let's say you try Reds, and you love them. a year later you get something with Browns.. and then suddenly you don't even care to type on your Reds again, because you think they are crap compared to your new Browns!

so yeah, just decide what you THINK you'll like more, and go for it.
the opinion of others are mostly useless to you.
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline cheebs

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 26 July 2015, 20:06:41 »
Just because the standard answer is old, doesn't mean it's not the right answer.  OP knows about the differences and knows what the application will be.  Everyone hesitates to drop a c-note on something they may not like, but the only way to know if you will like it is to try the action for yourself and find your own

personal

preference.

It's actually not the right answer in this case.  OP asked about switch purpose, and nearly everyone has dodged the technical question and simplified their response to something that's so obvious it's almost a troll response.  Here's an example.  Let's suppose Usain Bolt likes to run the 100m dash in his lucky sandals, despite knowing he's actually faster in track shoes.  It's not the correct shoe choice from a technical perspective, but that's his choice.  Maybe he's won in sandals because it intimidates his opponents every time?  Everyone has the option of picking their personal preference despite technical advantages, but that's rarely the question asked.  After all, how can you expect to base your own preferences on someone else's opinion?  The only relevant info we can provide to a person asking the question "which switch should I buy?" is facts, specifications and intended purpose of switch design.  Responding with something like "it's personal preference" is equivalent to saying "i really don't know anything about why the switches are different, and am assuming they are designed in a number of different models simply to accommodate everyone's personal preference".  That's incorrect, and Cherry will confirm it.

Offline VoteForDavid

• Vote For David
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 26 July 2015, 20:59:40 »
Quote from: Title of the Thread

Correct Answer: personal preference

Quote from: OP
the question is:

Red switches or Brown switches

Someone is missing the question to the point of trolling here, but it's not the majority of us who are saying "personal preference".
Jesus loves you.

Offline OgPronoun

• Model M | Corsair K65 RGB
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 00:12:57 »
Go reds, they're tip tops. super smooth and easy to press.
Ayy Lmao

Offline cheebs

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 11:59:38 »

the question is:

Someone is missing the question to the point of trolling here, but it's not the majority of us who are saying "personal preference".

Except you didn't read this

Words like "purpose" and "serve" imply that OP is asking for suggestions based on function, not preference.

In fact you don't even have to read that excerpt. It's plainly obvious when someone asks this question, they're not asking you to pick their favorite color, but instead looking for some different characteristics or particularly good uses of each switch to help guide their decision.  Reds are really easy to mash. That's a trait other switches don't have, and makes them functionally superior in certain situations.  Blues have hysteresis, that's something which could seriously hinder your performance in the games I mentioned earlier.

How would you feel if you asked for some information / help in making a buying decision on a forum full of "experts" and the best response they could muster up is "personal preference".

Personally I'd be thinking "wow, these guys don't know ****." or "maybe I don't need one of these things, if there's no technical advantage to them" when there actually is.

The tl;dr of it is, you don't know enough to give the correct response, and that info is not distilled anywhere around here, so when the question gets repeatedly asked, people just resort to the laziest answer available.  "personal preference".  Imagine if you walked into a specialized running shoe store, told them you were doing endurance runs and they gave you that response, lol.
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 July 2015, 12:02:09 by cheebs »

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 13:26:01 »
Reds are really easy to mash. That's a trait other switches don't have

So are black switches if you have a heavy hand.

Offline Data

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 13:37:43 »

the question is:

Except you didn't read this

Words like "purpose" and "serve" imply that OP is asking for suggestions based on function, not preference.

In fact you don't even have to read that excerpt. It's plainly obvious when someone asks this question, they're not asking you to pick their favorite color, but instead looking for some different characteristics or particularly good uses of each switch to help guide their decision.  Reds are really easy to mash. That's a trait other switches don't have, and makes them functionally superior in certain situations.  Blues have hysteresis, that's something which could seriously hinder your performance in the games I mentioned earlier.

How would you feel if you asked for some information / help in making a buying decision on a forum full of "experts" and the best response they could muster up is "personal preference".

Personally I'd be thinking "wow, these guys don't know ****." or "maybe I don't need one of these things, if there's no technical advantage to them" when there actually is.

The tl;dr of it is, you don't know enough to give the correct response, and that info is not distilled anywhere around here, so when the question gets repeatedly asked, people just resort to the laziest answer available.  "personal preference".  Imagine if you walked into a specialized running shoe store, told them you were doing endurance runs and they gave you that response, lol.

Jesus...

The problem is that this question comes up a lot -- possibly too much -- and nobody wants to spend an hour hand-holding the OP through his options and having an academic discussion about his unique intended application(s), 3-5 times per week.  That **** gets old.  The question can be answered with a Google search and a little reading, because, as we know, the information is out there in spades, much of it right here on this forum, but new people can't be arsed to do the leg work (no offense, OP) and, likewise, few seasoned posters are willing to go into that level of detail with the frequency which is, apparently, required.  Thus, we get a lot of one-liners stating the obvious.

This is typical of internet discourse.

The solution, then, seems to be that everyone must link to this image any time a person asks the horde what switch he should buy.

... to the point that it becomes a meme -- almost an inside joke.  Would you prefer that?  Would that somehow be better?

I don't see any harm, really, in responding to this question with a curt: "RTFM".  Calling it "personal preference" and then getting on with your day seems like a polite way to do that and maybe encourage the reader to do a bit more digging on his own for the answers.  I admit to having a few questions when I started here, but only after I'd made myself dizzy from all the research.  There's a lot to learn about this hobby and none of it is a secret.

TL;DR: Don't be lazy.

And if I came off as angry in this post then just imagine a cute emoticon at the end of every sentence.  I'm rolling my eyes pretty hard right now.

Offline atarione

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 14:38:07 »
hi, I have 2x mx-red keyboard (Filco MT2 and Rosewill Rk9000RE) and a mx-brown (WASD V1) I find them fairly similar ... the reds are quite light but i have very little trouble with accidental key-presses ... I tended to mash keys so I chose lighter keys on purpose to try to train myself to ease up on bangin on the keys.

personally I think with these two types of switches if you like one you will wind up liking the other ..they are pretty close.

Offline Metalmind

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 14:45:37 »
You find them similar because yo smash the keys. Ir you float type con them you will notice a huge difference. For me mx brown is very close to a rubber dome because the táctiles bump. Also mx brown is a great switch.

Offline Metalmind

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 14:46:18 »
hi, I have 2x mx-red keyboard (Filco MT2 and Rosewill Rk9000RE) and a mx-brown (WASD V1) I find them fairly similar ... the reds are quite light but i have very little trouble with accidental key-presses ... I tended to mash keys so I chose lighter keys on purpose to try to train myself to ease up on bangin on the keys.

personally I think with these two types of switches if you like one you will wind up liking the other ..they are pretty close.

You find them similar because yo smash the keys. If you float type con them you will notice a huge difference. For me mx brown is very close to a rubber dome because the tactile bump. Also mx brown is a great switch.

Offline Snarfangel

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 15:13:20 »
Greens!

Oh, very well, Brown then. Though I would like to try Reds with one of the Data911 rubber splash guards.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 15:16:58 »
Greens!

Oh, very well, Brown then. Though I would like to try Reds with one of the Data911 rubber splash guards.

reds and a splash guard might actually be nice... the splash guard will provide just enough tactility, and with the lightness of the reds it won't be too heavy to type on...

splash guard on blacks was unbearable... waaay to heavy...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches