Author Topic: Which Dell AT101W Should I Get?  (Read 3644 times)

Offline Structor125

Which Dell AT101W Should I Get?
« on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 17:21:01 »
     I thought that a Dell AT101W seems like a great entry level mechanical keyboards, but I'm unsure about which one to get. On Ebay there are ones that are made in Mexico and ones made in Malaysia, and my gut tells me to get one that was made in Malaysia since everyone that praises this keyboard seems to have one that is made in Malaysia. Does anyone know whether there is a significant difference between the two?
     Also, I've found sites that sell refurbished AT101Ws, but I'm wary of them for a couple of reasons. First, none of the sites that sell them show any pictures, nor do they state the total price with shipping unless you request a quote or give them your email address or something like that. Secondly, one of these sites discussed on another forum and someone that got one said that it was dirty, which I assume shouldn't have been the case if it was refurbished. Here is that thread:
http://www.overclock.net/t/882163/eti-referbished-dell-at101w-mechanical-keyboard-10
and here are the sites that have them:
http://www.etiexpress.com/ProductAdv.aspx?q=at101w
http://www.renewcomputer.com/DELL_Dell_PS_2_Keyboard_ALPS_AT101W_p/at101w.htm
http://www.powersourceonline.com/buy/AT101W-dell_parts-bc-en.jsa

Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on which one of these to buy.

Offline BlueNalgene

Re: Which Dell AT101W Should I Get?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 17:24:54 »
Mine is Malaysian made from an ebay auction.  No problems with it, and I enjoy typing on it.  There was a nice black AT101 on ebay recently for a reasonable price.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 19:48:30 »
Hiya! Welcome to GH!

Your choice of the AT101W is a very good one for a first keyboard.  It's an extremely well-rounded keyboard that's easy to get and very cheap while being sturdier than most newly-made keyboards. And it looks kickass.

For the Dell AT101W (FCC ID GYUM90SK), there shouldn't be any difference really. Malaysia or Mexico, they use the same case and appear to use the same switches, Alps SKCM Black/Late. FCC ID GYUM90SK I've had a whole bunch of, several of which I disassembled, and they were all the same. All basic, good keyboards.

Other FCC IDs were very different though. Try not to think of it in terms of place of manufacture too much with this board, but in terms of WHEN it was made. Older versions, before the GYUM90SK, had one or two slightly more high-grade specs here and there, such as higher-quality lettering on the keycaps, or going back even further, more upmarket switches. As far as I know all GYUM90SKs are the same, though.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 07:39:48 »
slightly more high-grade specs here and there, such as higher-quality lettering on the keycaps, or going back even further, more upmarket switches.

Some of the oldest ones had dye-sub PBT caps, but I think that those would be AT101s, not AT101Ws.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 10:12:49 »
slightly more high-grade specs here and there, such as higher-quality lettering on the keycaps, or going back even further, more upmarket switches.

Some of the oldest ones had dye-sub PBT caps, but I think that those would be AT101s, not AT101Ws.
Yeah, by GYUM97SK this was already not the case anymore, in fact.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 16:21:08 »
I dont think there is much difference. Some say the Thailand made keyboards are best. But I have a late production Made in Mexico and it's very nice. Im sure the Malaysian made keyboards are good too.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 00:25:46 »
Personally, I'd wait for a NIB one. There are a couple on eBay right now for $70 shipped... They turn up from time to time.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg