Author Topic: Keyboard height shalll dictate wrist rest material?  (Read 6602 times)

Offline typo

Keyboard height shalll dictate wrist rest material?
« on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 00:28:42 »
I wish to use for a while a keyboard with an edge that is 1.7". The vast majority of wood wrist rests(I prefer) are .5 to .6" with very few being about ,7". The thickest cloth covered wrist rest is Glorious Gaming at slightly over 1". Seeing as you should not rest your wrists while typing is another story. It is while not typing. However too low will cause me to mistype. I would say on a 1.7" edge board 1"(+) is the absolute minimum. Therefore am I correct that the wood rests that I prefer would be completely useless with this board? Putting my fingers right in the keys. Causing me to mistype as I am wresting? Or is 1"(+) even to low for a board with a 1.7" edge and I need something custom? I know a cabinet maker and could obtain the very wood rest I desire but it will cost me a whopping $350 for a board I do not intend to use much. Would the glorious Gaming be okay and for instance and the filco wood would not be ? Or if in fact a ready made .5" wood would suffice I would be most happy. I am asking because I have no clue and return is a hassle. Thank you

Caveat: If anyone(Walie) finds my posts to be insane please kindly refrain from answering them. Otherwise I much appreciate an answer. As I do need to order a rest ASAP and not sure what to get.

Offline iso

Re: Keyboard height shalll dictate wrist rest material?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 02:05:31 »
Cork wood coastars, top it with thin leather, easy to control height/position for each and is gonan be under $20

Offline typo

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 10:31:33 »
.5" wood rest I saw a pic is way too low. I am afraid even Glorious is too low. I will indeed build something. Not as cheap as what you said but something nice. I will start with perhaps 2" oak stock.

Offline typo

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 15:53:15 »
It worked perfectly with an old Oak rocker rest I made. I had once asked the cabinet maker how much he would charge for my handy work and he said $750! Pics are on this site somewhere.

Offline typo

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 19:59:03 »
Here is an old picture of it with a long gone keyboard.

I really did a knock out job on it and it fits this new 65% perfectly other than being much too long but it is the length of the tray so I do not want to cut it. plus I normally use a full size board.

Offline typo

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 15:43:54 »
I should sell these. Nothing like it and I love it. It allows your wrist to "rock" very naturally. That is an old pic. No longer have that keeb or rodent. It matches perfectly with 2.1" edge board. Most boards are not this high but I can make the rests any height with the CNC router. I did not cut it for 67 key since I plan to use 105 key as well. It looks good running the length of the edge of the tray anyhow. With these switches and my JDM  Elecom this is a nice setup says I.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 15:58:15 »
Tp4 types floating wrist, same @ the piano.

Tp4 has a wrist rest for gaming it's bout 2.5 inch, it's a paper box + a small folded towel on top (for washable-ness).

Offline typo

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 25 February 2020, 16:21:45 »
Never rest on piano. Keyboard either really. I rest when I am tired not typing.

Offline ykill

• qed - Production Coordinator for deafmute
    • Deafmute Linktree
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 07 March 2020, 10:38:50 »
I like the cork idea - thin sheets of it would be really adjustable
qed on the gram @quality_enforcement_dojo
qed in 40% Discord

Offline typo

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 07 March 2020, 14:38:12 »
I actually sourced a wood one that suits my needs. The wood species is so rare not only have I never heard of it I cannot pronounce it. It is nearly as dark as ebony but has tiger stripes. The keyboard edge is over 1.5" high which was the important thing to me. I am sure it is very high quality because it was $99.00 on Amazon but I also do not consider that outrageous. Most of the good ones are about $40.00. I did not really care that it was rare. It was the only tall one I could find. Most of them are around 1/2 which just would not work with this board.

The cork may be the most ergonomic but I prefer a more "finished" product. It was actually very hard to find that on Amazon. It took 4 day's of searches. The thing with Amazon is things come and go in the marketplace. I just hope it does not wear through.