Author Topic: Mousetrapper Flexible Review  (Read 12762 times)

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
Mousetrapper Flexible Review
« on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 20:54:03 »
So some dude on the East Coast was selling the Mousetrapper Flexible (http://www.mousetrapper.se/mousetrapper-flexible-p-48-c-118.aspx) for $150 a pop on Ebay a couple weeks ago ($100 less than list), and I jumped at the offer.  Despite my worry that this discount Mousetrapper could have some thing tragically wrong with it, things have worked smoothly since the purchase. Yea!

After being a veteran user of the Rollermouse and a couple top quality trackballs (CST Ltrac and Kensington Slimblade), I decided to try another high-cost input device, the Mousetrapper.  I opted to purchase the Mousetrapper Flexible rather than the full-size Mousetrapper Advance because smaller the better, ya know?  For full irony, I use the Mousetrapper with my IBM Model F122, the aircraft carrier of keyboards.   It has not relieved my home's persistent mouse problems, but it has relieved some of my persistent hand pains from using regular mice.   :D

Size and Form Factor

The Flexible is 12 inches across and 4 inches long and less than 1 inch tall.

It can work well with low profile keyboards, and actually is a little low for my Model F, but it does have some little feet that raise it just a tad (1 cm or so) for these higher keyboards.  The width makes it perfect as a palm rest for the alpha-numeric keys and compact keyboards, but it is too short if you wish to use it as palm rest for the navigation cluster or numpad on a full-size board.

The Flexible also is light and easy to chuck at your co-workers across the office, but is perhaps a little cheap and fragile.  It may not hurt them as you intend.  But for any product made completely for plastic, that seems to be the case.  It does come with a standard two-year warranty for some piece of mind.

Features

-A sleak and stylish carrying case.  Along with the HHKB kept in that purple briefcase (http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,cases&pid=gc_hhk) you will look slicker than your company's board.   
-Nine (9) programmable buttons.  Baller.
-Scrolling by dragging the right side of the touchpad, along with auto scroll functions
-USB or Wireless capabilities
-Height adjustment
-Capable of making tiny rolls of sushi suitable for using as bait for mice.

Aesthetics

-Black all over
-Smooth to the touch
-Dare say I "sleek looking"?   :cool:
-The touchpad has some grippy finish to help you...grip, but it tends to collect dust.

Build Quality

It comes with a two-year warranty, so I suspect this thing is more durable than it appears.  It feels a little light and flimsy and moves on the desk with a bit of force  My trackball mice would be more appropriate to take into battle with Model M's and Model F's, so the Mousetrapper has little use in the zombie apocalypse.

Ease of Use

After unboxing, I was able to jump right into using this baby without a problem.  The mouse pointer moves quickly and smoothly, and I had no difficulty with the adjustment.  The software offers adjustments for the pointer speed and scrolling speed, both of which were annoyingly fast out-of-the-box.  As easy as a new pair of pants.

The touchpad actually moves with your finger.  At the moment, I do not know the engineering behind the Mousetrapper, but that darn touchpad is an interesting and unique feature.

My favorite aspect is that I can keep my hands on the home row and use the mouse.  I do not have to stretch to the end of the keyboard to use the mouse.

Accuracy can be a slight issue, but I find it just as accurate as the Rollermouse and the trackballs I have used.  On the other hand, I have not found anything as accurate as a traditional mouse.

The buttons actually are so numerous, that I have trouble remembering my settings for each button.  But 9 programmable buttons!  Love it.

Issues

Because the touchpad moves very easily and you can push down on the touchpad for the left click, it does create some accuracy problems.  You may intend to click on an item, and accidentally mouse the mouse pointer a bit.  The touchpad click is a little unreliable for double click because the click on the movable surface can move your pointer by the time you finish the doubleclick.

Select and drag has turned out to be another slight issue.  When I am selecting a block of text or dragging with the touchpad click, I often have trouble selecting the exact area I would like.  This is less of an issue when I use a separate mouse click button than the touchpad.

Dust attraction capabilities.  Because the whole thing is black and the touchpad has a grippy surface, the Flexible tends to display the dust and grime that accumulate.  I have to brush that off often.

The scrolling feature on the right side of the touchpad tends to be inconsistent with wear I need to exactly touch it in order to activate the scroll.  Sometimes I need to be very close to the edge, other times I have a bit of leeway.  Not sure if this is due to operator error or inconsistency with the program or device.

Conclusion

I like it and I am glad I took the dive.  The Mousetrapper Flexible very convenient to use with a flat keyboard and has some great features.  I love any device puts less strain on my hands, wrists, and arms, and this does just the trick.  If only it could actually catch those mice I see running around my kitchen!  Ha ha ha!
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 November 2013, 10:07:58 by prdlm2009 »
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
Re: Mousetrapper Flexible Review
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 04:03:05 »
I imagined that this was a review of a device to catch mice

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline blueSmoke

• Life is what happens while you're busy Fixing RSI
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 04:49:08 »
me too.

whats next? ball trapper?

nevermind. I like the review.
Model M, Filco Tenkeyless White, Few others, few more others, Noise-hater (ongoing project), blah-blah (to be fillled later...)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 08:25:37 »
prdlm2009, you should let me try this next time I see you in person. This looks pretty cool. I really enjoyed the Rollermouse when I went to the Chicagoland meetup.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 10:14:25 »
prdlm2009, you should let me try this next time I see you in person. This looks pretty cool. I really enjoyed the Rollermouse when I went to the Chicagoland meetup.

No problem.  I will transport it in my little carrying case so we can look as trendy and professional as possible while using it.

As for the others that were expecting a different kind of mouse trap, sorry to disappoint.  I could do a review of those as well once I begin waging war against mice in the house.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 13:31:17 »
What's the sensitivity like? Is there some kind acceleration, or can you do something like when you let the rollermouse's roller or trackball's ball spin at least?

Do I understand it correctly that movement is relative just like on a touchpad? I'm asking because rollermouse can be PITA with dualhead, due to its more or less absolute movement on the horizontal axis.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 14:25:46 »
The width makes it perfect as a palm rest for the alpha-numeric keys and compact keyboards, but it is too short if you wish to use it as palm rest for the navigation cluster or numpad on a full-size board.

The Flexible also is light and easy to chuck at your co-workers across the office, but is perhaps a little cheap and fragile.
The "Flexible" model is meant to be portable. That is why it is so light and small.
The other models have wider wrist rests and have plates that go under the keyboard so that the friction and weight of the keyboard holds it steady.

I imagined that this was a review of a device to catch mice
The very first model from this company was a competely mechanical RollerMouse-copy. You placed a Microsoft ball-mouse in a holder (the "trap"). When you moved the roller, the movement was transferred to the mouse's ball. There were also levers going to the mouse buttons.

Do I understand it correctly that movement is relative just like on a touchpad? I'm asking because rollermouse can be PITA with dualhead, due to its more or less absolute movement on the horizontal axis.
It is not, unfortunately. The mechanism is similar to that of a RollerMouse with two rollers and a carpet suspended between them. Vertical movement is infinite, horizontal movement is limited.

I have an older model of the Mouse Trapper. My biggest gripe with it is how it handles when you reach the left or right edge. When you have reached the edge, the mouse pointer moves automatically in that direction. However, the sensor is not a mechanical switch, but an optical one ... so that the pointer will start moving by itself without first giving you any tactile feedback that you have reached the edge.
I think the "Advance" model has this flaw too. Does the "Flexible" have it as well?

BTW, I took some pictures of the insides of my MouseTrapper Electronic and wrote an article on MouseTrappers on the Deskthority Wiki.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 14:30:42 »
Thanks. That wiki article at DT is quite good.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 18:43:04 »
What's the sensitivity like? Is there some kind acceleration, or can you do something like when you let the rollermouse's roller or trackball's ball spin at least?

Sorry for the rack of response.  I have been very busy lately and I just got time to mess around on Geekhack.

The Mousetrapper can be very sensitive.  Out of the box, it was very sensitive.  I had to adjust the sensitivity.

It can move rather quickly across the screen, but I do not believe it does something similar to a big roll of a trackball mouse.

The movement is very different than a touchpad.  The Mousetrapper is much more sensitive than a touchpad and the movement is a little less sharp (or said another way, a little more loose than a touchpad).  I have it connected to my Macbook and if I need to do more accurate movements, I use the Macbook touchpad.  The Mousetrapper puts much less stress on my hands, however.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 18:48:44 »
It is not, unfortunately. The mechanism is similar to that of a RollerMouse with two rollers and a carpet suspended between them. Vertical movement is infinite, horizontal movement is limited.

I have an older model of the Mouse Trapper. My biggest gripe with it is how it handles when you reach the left or right edge. When you have reached the edge, the mouse pointer moves automatically in that direction. However, the sensor is not a mechanical switch, but an optical one ... so that the pointer will start moving by itself without first giving you any tactile feedback that you have reached the edge.
I think the "Advance" model has this flaw too. Does the "Flexible" have it as well?

BTW, I took some pictures of the insides of my MouseTrapper Electronic and wrote an article on MouseTrappers on the Deskthority Wiki.

I just reduced the sensitivity to the lowest setting, and the Mousetrapper Flexible does the same thing.  This problem can be remedied by increasing the sensitivity so the pointer can go from edge-to-edge before the touchpad area reaches the edge of movement.

Offline opensecret

• 公开的秘密
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 23:03:55 »
I’ve never tried a Mousetrapper (never seen one to try), but I like the Rollermouse so much that I have two of them.  Are there features of the  Mousetrapper that would lead you to choose it over the Rollermouse, or vice-versa?
IBM Model M |Matias Mini Quiet Pro|Plum 84EC-S|RealForce 103U-UW & 87U-UW|Omnikey Ultra T| 2 Omnikey Ultras| WASD V2| Xmit Hall Effect|

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 23:53:56 »
Thanks for the cool review!

I've wanted a MouseTrapper for a couple of years, but I've had other issues to contend with (life trauma!). Now they've come out with these new models my interest has peaked again. I noticed those fleabay sales recently. Of course I'm a die hard RollerMouse Free2 fan and have a hard time imagining not using RollerMouse. That's one reason I'm interested in your comparisons.

Overall I'm a fan of:
#1  RolleMouse Free2
#2  Apple Trackpad (would like to try the Logitech rechargeable touchpad)
#3  Kensington Expert Mouse Pro (would like to try CST 2545 LaserTrack, CH DT-225, ITAC Evolution MouseTRAK)

The new MouseTrapper…..I wonder where you will fit into my life with your 9 programmable buttons?
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 19:30:58 »
I’ve never tried a Mousetrapper (never seen one to try), but I like the Rollermouse so much that I have two of them.  Are there features of the  Mousetrapper that would lead you to choose it over the Rollermouse, or vice-versa?

The Mousetrapper more programmable buttons, and I think in better places than the Rollermouse.  Also, I think the mouse pointer is more stable on the Mousetrapper.   Like when I go to click something with the mousepad click, the pointer moves less.  I always had problems with the rollerbar mouse click moving when I would go to click something.

Scrolling is better on the Rollermouse. 

It's really hard to give a definitive answer when I do not have them side-by-side.

Offline opensecret

• 公开的秘密
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 20:30:59 »

The Mousetrapper more programmable buttons, and I think in better places than the Rollermouse.  Also, I think the mouse pointer is more stable on the Mousetrapper.   Like when I go to click something with the mousepad click, the pointer moves less.  I always had problems with the rollerbar mouse click moving when I would go to click something.

Scrolling is better on the Rollermouse. 

It's really hard to give a definitive answer when I do not have them side-by-side.

Thanks, that's helpful.

With the RollerMouse, I've never seen a problem in terms of horizontal precision when clicking, but if you click with the roller bar instead of a button (which I often do, since it's so convenient), a little vertical motion can creep in.  I know the buttons are supposed to be programmable, but I'm happy with the default setup, so I've never felt a need for that.

As I read your review and other descriptions, the Mousetrapper is sort of like and sort of different from a touchpad.  I'm curious about that, because I'm not a fan of touchpads.  One reason I stick with Thinkpads, in addition to the pretty good keyboards, is that I prefer the trackpoint to the touchpad.
IBM Model M |Matias Mini Quiet Pro|Plum 84EC-S|RealForce 103U-UW & 87U-UW|Omnikey Ultra T| 2 Omnikey Ultras| WASD V2| Xmit Hall Effect|

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 21:26:25 »
The Mousetrapper is very different than a touchpad.  First of all, the pad physically moves and as a previous poster said, it is mounted internally to some roller mechanism.  It is not an optical sensor.

I use my Mousetrapper with my Macbook, so I switch seamless between the two.

I would say that the Mousetrapper is a lot more responsive than a touchpad.  The Mousetrapper also has a nice grippy surface, so you have more control over the position of the pointer.  The Mousetrapper is also much easier to use with your thumb than a touchpad.

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 22:51:32 »
Thanks for the cool review!

I've wanted a MouseTrapper for a couple of years, but I've had other issues to contend with (life trauma!). Now they've come out with these new models my interest has peaked again. I noticed those fleabay sales recently. Of course I'm a die hard RollerMouse Free2 fan and have a hard time imagining not using RollerMouse. That's one reason I'm interested in your comparisons.

Overall I'm a fan of:
#1  RolleMouse Free2
#2  Apple Trackpad (would like to try the Logitech rechargeable touchpad)
#3  Kensington Expert Mouse Pro (would like to try CST 2545 LaserTrack, CH DT-225, ITAC Evolution MouseTRAK)

The new MouseTrapper…..I wonder where you will fit into my life with your 9 programmable buttons?

I have both the Apple and Logitech trackpads. I prefer the Apple. They are very similar, but Apple's trackpad has a smoother feel, has slightly better multitouch guestures, and doesn't take as long to wake up as the Logitech.